2018-2019 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 user
Excellent!!! I didn’t realize they were applying it now!

The class of 2022 wrote a letter petitioning for it, and the higher ups voted to change the grading system.
For those on this website who say the faculty isn’t willing to work with the students, this is proof that’s nonsense.

hey! is there a post or article that talks about the P/F transition? I can't find much on the website

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 12/19...just regularly checking and waiting to hear back

Have you ever called them?
I didn’t hear back from them for months and back in October I sent a brief email to admissions just saying that I’m very interested in attending NYMC and I stated one reason why. A month and a half, I got the interview invite. I did this for several schools and got 4 more interview offers in December... but I think you have to do it early on :/ doesn’t hurt to try now though.

I didn’t hear back from them for months and back in October I sent a brief email to admissions just saying that I’m very interested in attending NYMC and I stated one reason why. A month and a half, I got the interview invite. I did this for several schools and got 4 more interview offers in December... but I think you have to do it early on :/ doesn’t hurt to try now though.
may i know your LizzyM score?

I apologize if this was asked earlier, but how do students typically travel from the airport to NYMC? From La Guardia, google maps shows that by car, its 30 miles and takes about 40-50 minutes, and by transit, over 2 hours and 3 transfers. The transit seems like a giant hassle, but taking a taxi/uber for 30 miles seems really expensive. What did you guys do?

I apologize if this was asked earlier, but how do students typically travel from the airport to NYMC? From La Guardia, google maps shows that by car, its 30 miles and takes about 40-50 minutes, and by transit, over 2 hours and 3 transfers. The transit seems like a giant hassle, but taking a taxi/uber for 30 miles seems really expensive. What did you guys do?

Uber is worth it IMO. Transit is a hassle for sure and to me it’s much less stressful to just get in a car and not worry about it.

Reactions: 1 users
Sent an update at the beginning of January, complete mid august, still no change at all on the portal. Are chances for a II basically gone?

Sent an update at the beginning of January, complete mid august, still no change at all on the portal. Are chances for a II basically gone?
I think this is historically a school that runs a little later than most

Nope!

Got my interview invite in March (back when the interview season went a couple weeks longer). There’s still time.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!
I have an interview coming up and I know its probably somewhere in these 20 pages but can anyone tell me anything about the interview day? I haven't had any MMIs yet and I have no idea what to expect. What kind of questions do they ask, and what is the general feel? Thanks!

We sign a NDA so we aren't allowed to tell you the type of questions. But honestly the questions are straightforward. I would recommend watching the below youtube video to get a sense of how everything works. After that find someone to practice a couple of MMI questions off of. There's no point spending a long time practicing because it is pretty straightforward.
It's a very relaxed environment! The interviewers are all very nice, friendly and polite. I actually enjoyed it overall and was having fun in the middle of it.

We sign a NDA so we aren't allowed to tell you the type of questions. But honestly the questions are straightforward. I would recommend watching the below youtube video to get a sense of how everything works. After that find someone to practice a couple of MMI questions off of. There's no point spending a long time practicing because it is pretty straightforward.
It's a very relaxed environment! The interviewers are all very nice, friendly and polite. I actually enjoyed it overall and was having fun in the middle of it.

Ive watched this before and to me it seems a little too drawn out? I tend to be like her and try to fit everything under the sun into the equation but Ive heard that can be seen as rambling and often too systematic. Have any advice on the short and concise vs full coverage longer approach?

Ive watched this before and to me it seems a little too drawn out? I tend to be like her and try to fit everything under the sun into the equation but Ive heard that can be seen as rambling and often too systematic. Have any advice on the short and concise vs full coverage longer approach?

Her response is way too long, I don’t know why they feel compelled to use the whole time if their answer is concise in about 5 min

Her response is way too long, I don’t know why they feel compelled to use the whole time if their answer is concise in about 5 min
I heard to try and fit it into 3-4 min if possible and see if they interviewer has any questions.

Sorry yeah, I forgot to mention that. In NYMC MMI its more of a discussion format. So you don't need to be long drawn out answers like hers

Forget the videos. Have a thoughtful conversation with your interviewer. Don’t give a weird speech, it’s a conversation not your tight five. Be normal and professional and you’ll be fine!

Reactions: 5 users
n = 1, but I didn't prepare in a specific way and it worked for me. I also only brought up my app/experiences a handful of times when they helped show my thought process. It flowed like a conversation, my responses were never longer than a few sentences. I think you'll sound too robotic if you prepare answers to questions you don't know. My only advice is to consider all sides of each scenario when you're reading the prompt.

Just got an II via email today. Only dates available were late February and most of March

Reactions: 7 users
Just booked my travel plans for my interview on 2/11. Anyone else interviewing that day?

II this afternoon! Complete late august. Website is currently broken though so can't see remaining dates.

Reactions: 3 users
congrats! were you on hold at any point?

I wasn't but sent an update at the end of November. Nothing fancy, just telling them what I was up to (Work).

Anyone know if their breakfast on interview day is mandatory? I'm driving in from Long Island and with NYC traffic during rush hour, you never know how long it can be. Thanks!

Anyone know if their breakfast on interview day is mandatory? I'm driving in from Long Island and with NYC traffic during rush hour, you never know how long it can be. Thanks!

I would say it’s not mandatory at all, plenty of people showed up late on my interview day. As long as you make it to the admissions lobby in time you’re good

Did anyone else NOT receive a confirmation email after their interview was scheduled?

IS; URM; 506 MCAT; 3.3 science gpa; great research & activities and letters of rec. (this and my personality is what gained me the acceptance, clearly lol)

Congrats! When were you complete?

Interviewed 12/17. Also waitlisted today. I speculate that NYMC is more conservative with acceptances this year considering how they over-accepted students last year. Fingers crossed for more waitlist movement this cycle!