2018-2019 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all! This is my first MMI (ever) coming up at the end of this month.
I've been preparing on general interview questions + MMI questions, but I still feel really nervous (mostly because this is my only shot at an acceptance). Do you guys have any general advice about interview day at this school? How many minutes do you guys have to answer MMI questions? Congrats to all who got accepted/received an interview!
Hey friend! This school has a 60% post interview acceptance rate, so if you were accepted you have an amazing shot. That being said others can chime in on the MMI, but the layout is 9 doors and each has a pamphlet with the MMI prompt. A bell rings and you get I believe a minute to read the MMI prompt. Another bell rings and you enter the room to discuss the prompt (If I remember its 6 minutes). I know a lot of people say don't worry about practicing, but honestly doing a practice run through with my parent helped me personally a ton.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all! This is my first MMI (ever) coming up at the end of this month.
I've been preparing on general interview questions + MMI questions, but I still feel really nervous (mostly because this is my only shot at an acceptance). Do you guys have any general advice about interview day at this school? How many minutes do you guys have to answer MMI questions? Congrats to all who got accepted/received an interview!

2 minutes to read the prompt, then you enter the room for 6 minutes. It's a conversation. I would stop prepping, you're already aware of the format. Just relax and be yourself. The more you try prepping at this point the more time you waste on trying to just go in there and be a normal person that has a conversation with someone.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey friend! This school has a 60% post interview acceptance rate, so if you were accepted you have an amazing shot. That being said others can chime in on the MMI, but the layout is 9 doors and each has a pamphlet with the MMI prompt. A bell rings and you get I believe a minute to read the MMI prompt. Another bell rings and you enter the room to discuss the prompt (If I remember its 6 minutes). I know a lot of people say don't worry about practicing, but honestly doing a practice run through with my parent helped me personally a ton.

Thanks! Is there a timer for the 6 minutes (or another bell ring) to signal time is over? And do some of the stations include standard interview questions? I'm just paranoid because I have a weakness in my application (lack of research) so I just really want to do well on my MMI.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Is there a timer for the 6 minutes (or another bell ring) to signal time is over? And do some of the stations include standard interview questions? I'm just paranoid because I have a weakness in my application (lack of research) so I just really want to do well on my MMI.

Yes another bell signals you to leave the room. Cannot comment on any questions. Just relax and enjoy the day as much as possible.

Unfortunately we can't comment on any of the questions. We signed an NDA, and promised not to. Honestly you don't need a heads up. The MMI questions are really straight forward, all the interviewers were super nice, and two of them even walked me through my answer. It's more coming in with a friendly smile, and not being nervous

Does anyone know if it matters when you interview here? Received my interview invite back in October but it was scheduled for early February and I'm kinda beating myself up over not trying to reschedule it to an earlier date.

Out of respect for the NDA, I’ll just share my general experience of MMI interviews at different schools and hopefully help ease some worry.

Generally, most MMI questions are situation based. There are sometimes application-based stations, but the core principle of MMI is to interview applicants with no information about them available to the interviewer and no information about the interviewer available to the applicant.

As far as prep, being familiar with the format and having a knowledge of how to discuss ethical situations will be more than adequate. DO NOT listen to those videos where the applicant sits there and gives a 4 minute nonstop speech and doesn’t let the interviewer talk. I don’t know if that works other places, but it’s not the objective of the NYMC interview. They’ll tell you on interview day that it’s a conversational MMI; stress is your enemy and it’s not meant to put you under pressure. It’s a measurement of your communication and interpersonal skills just like a traditional interview, just delivered in a different way. Be professional, be yourself, and be a normal person. You’ve all had conversations before, and that’s what you’ll do on interview day.

@robertsdude it doesn’t matter when you interview, you still have the same chance at acceptance. My own interview came in the end of March. The only advantage of earlier interview is knowing the outcome sooner.

Reactions: 3 users
Out of respect for the NDA, I’ll just share my general experience of MMI interviews at different schools and hopefully help ease some worry.

Generally, most MMI questions are situation based. There are sometimes application-based stations, but the core principle of MMI is to interview applicants with no information about them available to the interviewer and no information about the interviewer available to the applicant.

As far as prep, being familiar with the format and having a knowledge of how to discuss ethical situations will be more than adequate. DO NOT listen to those videos where the applicant sits there and gives a 4 minute nonstop speech and doesn’t let the interviewer talk. I don’t know if that works other places, but it’s not the objective of the NYMC interview. They’ll tell you on interview day that it’s a conversational MMI; stress is your enemy and it’s not meant to put you under pressure. It’s a measurement of your communication and interpersonal skills just like a traditional interview, just delivered in a different way. Be professional, be yourself, and be a normal person. You’ve all had conversations before, and that’s what you’ll do on interview day.

@robertsdude it doesn’t matter when you interview, you still have the same chance at acceptance. My own interview came in the end of March. The only advantage of earlier interview is knowing the outcome sooner.
To add to that, I thought I did pretty bad at some of the NYMC MMI stations before actually getting accepted. I beat myself over it for weeks - I didn't think I sounded as eloquently as I could have, but I was honestly myself and didn't try to act. So point is, be yourself! There's only so much you can practice before the MMI. Once you're there, think about your answers thoughtfully but also don't stress and just be you :)

Has anyone gotten an email for a student tuition scholarship? How are these people selected?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do we get added to it?

Should be added automatically — it takes a while for the admins to get the updated list of accepted students. If you don’t get added within a week or two then maybe send an email, but some delay is to be expected. Students run it and answer questions.

Last edited:
Should be added automatically — it takes a while for the admins to get the updated list of accepted students. If you don’t get added within a week or two then maybe send an email, but some delay is to be expected. Students run it and answer questions.

Do you know if there is any hope for people on pre-II hold to still get an II here at this point in the cycle? Does this ever happen or is a pre-II hold usually a soft rejection?

Do you know if there is any hope for people on pre-II hold to still get an II here at this point in the cycle? Does this ever happen or is a pre-II hold usually a soft rejection?

As I’ve said before, in the past they have pulled people off hold to interview. I don’t know if there’s any way to tell whether it will happen or not in a given year but previously it has happened. It’s getting pretty late in the season but there’s still a month of interviews left.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Because of the flood of emails asking about the Letter of Intent I would actually caution people following my lead as now many people are doing it. I would say be patient, if you haven't been rejected you are still in the running, and a LOI isn't a one way ticket to acceptance. The LOI honestly wasn't the primary factor in my acceptance. My grades, MMI interview, thank you letter weighed more heavily in my assumption.

If this truly is your top choice, then follow the guide How to Write a Great Medical School Letter of Intent or Letter of Interest (Example Included) . If not and you are just sending a LOI as a last resort, then it will do more damage then help as they can see through it. Additionally continually writing to the admins will result in annoying them. This process is extremely frustrating and I hope you all get into a school. Please only send a LOI if
1.) NYMC is your very TOP school choice
2.) You are sending a LOI to display your desire to go to NYMC, not because you haven't heard anything in a while

Reactions: 2 users
As I’ve said before, in the past they have pulled people off hold to interview. I don’t know if there’s any way to tell whether it will happen or not in a given year but previously it has happened. It’s getting pretty late in the season but there’s still a month of interviews left.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Thank you! I hope I can get an II here. Do you know what days NYMC conducts interviews?

I was put under review on 10/04, and haven't received a rejection or a pre-II hold. Am I still in the game?

Worried about tuition. Doesn NYMC give generous packages for financial aid? Hoping for a 100,000 grant or something. Pretty poor student

Well the school costs 80k. Loans 80k *4 = $320,000 in loans. I also have a $100,000 in debt from undergraduate. So I was hoping NYMC gives out a decent grant

Well the school costs 80k. Loans 80k *4 = $320,000 in loans. I also have a $100,000 in debt from undergraduate. So I was hoping NYMC gives out a decent grant
I wouldn't hold my breath for aid, tbh. Most people just eat the loans.

Worried about tuition. Doesn NYMC give generous packages for financial aid? Hoping for a 100,000 grant or something. Pretty poor student

Hey, I'm in the same boat as you! About ~80K debt from undergrad and will be taking on even more debt from med school... unfortunately, I guess this is just something we have to take on. Most med students come out with hundreds of thousands of debt too

Hey, I'm in the same boat as you! About ~80K debt from undergrad and will be taking on even more debt from med school... unfortunately, I guess this is just something we have to take on. Most med students come out with hundreds of thousands of debt too
Finally someone in the same boat as me. Yeah! I guess looking at the micro level making a salary of 13k+ and paying loans of 5k a month leaving you with 8k isn't all too bad (actually great). Macro level it's a struggle, but we will get through it

Finally someone in the same boat as me. Yeah! I guess looking at the micro level making a salary of 13k+ and paying loans of 5k a month leaving you with 8k isn't all too bad (actually great). Macro level it's a struggle, but we will get through it

right and they were telling us at the financial aid presentation thing that we can do a thing where we just pay 10% back a month... the financials confuse me a lot but we'll get through it! It's worth it in the end!!

Thank you so much! I appreciate everyone helping me and other applicants out as much as they can, within the constraints of the NDA. Good luck to everyone!

Thank you so much! I appreciate everyone helping me and other applicants out as much as they can, within the constraints of the NDA. Good luck to everyone!

Any time! Honestly, if I could magically tell you all the things they’d ask you it still wouldn’t help. You’d only sound weird and scripted. The best prep is just reading about them and having conversations with friends about ethical scenarios. Whatever it takes to be at ease and on your game on interview day!

Any time! Honestly, if I could magically tell you all the things they’d ask you it still wouldn’t help. You’d only sound weird and scripted. The best prep is just reading about them and having conversations with friends about ethical scenarios. Whatever it takes to be at ease and on your game on interview day!

I agree. I also don’t suggest watching MMIs video examples because I’ve noticed the interviewees can come across as robotic. You don’t need to observe how to have a conversation and make a strong argument. Expect to be asked follow-up questions, to be challenged on the grounds of your argument, and to have your interviewer agree or disagree with you. Don’t be discouraged if you think you bombed a station (like me) because it was likely either a difficult question or a particularly stern/stoic interviewer, either of which everyone else in your interview group experienced

I agree. I also don’t suggest watching MMIs video examples because I’ve noticed the interviewees can come across as robotic. You don’t need to observe how to have a conversation and make a strong argument. Expect to be asked follow-up questions, to be challenged on the grounds of your argument, and to have your interviewer agree or disagree with you. Don’t be discouraged if you think you bombed a station (like me) because it was likely either a difficult question or a particularly stern/stoic interviewer, either of which everyone else in your interview group experienced

Agreed — and “challenged” sounds like it would mean aggressive but really it’s a polite exchange about alternate views.

So I have an interview next week and I was wondering if they accept an update of my EC and transcript during the interview. Should I bring with me a hard copy to hand or should I email it in before?

So I have an interview next week and I was wondering if they accept an update of my EC and transcript during the interview. Should I bring with me a hard copy to hand or should I email it in before?

I recommend you send it in after the interview. They won’t take it in person, and they’ll probably tell you on interview day to send updates.

Anyone know what the likelihood is of getting an interview at this point? I was recently placed on hold.

Hi! Do you think that people who interviewed Late January will hear back this Monday? The pattern seems to be every other Monday.

3 weeks since I interviewed and dying to know if I got in. I love this place so much!

Does anyone know how much the need-based scholarships are approximately? I believe they don't tell you if you qualify/amount before traffic day.

Haven't heard peep from this school! Complete 6 months ago...