Rynomachine

2+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
Is there a group for people who have decided that they're attending? I'll be attending Touro and im looking for a roommate.

21Rush12

Searching a cave behind a waterfall
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Is there a group for people who have decided that they're attending? I'll be attending Touro and im looking for a roommate.
Do you mean the dental school? I recommend contacting them to see about their Facebook group to get in touch with potential roommates.

Rynomachine

2+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
Do you mean the dental school? I recommend contacting them to see about their Facebook group to get in touch with potential roommates.
Yep! I was only able to find the one for accepted students, but not one for students who have decided to attend.

21Rush12

Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Yep! I was only able to find the one for accepted students, but not one for students who have decided to attend.
Well I would start there for now — not sure exactly the timing on dental school works but for Med school it’s still a bit early to be 100% sure. If there’s no group yet there will probably be one soon.

Good luck! I’m sure many students are looking for the same thing.

Reactions: Tchotchke
Mar 6, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone know what the average Step 1 scores of NYMC are? I dont know how big of a factor that is for choosing a school but I’m between here and MSU CHM and thought it would be helpful

21Rush12

Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Does anyone know what the average Step 1 scores of NYMC are? I dont know how big of a factor that is for choosing a school but I’m between here and MSU CHM and thought it would be helpful
This is a hard metric to use because it really reflects personal prep and many other factors. I wouldn’t recommend making a school choice based on Step 1 average. You have much more control over your score than you think.

Reactions: Tchotchke and smsch
Jul 8, 2018
How often does nymc test their students? Is it block by block basis? Or like every 2-3,4 weeks? And are there multiple exams in that one week? Or just one big exam?

21Rush12

Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2014
Status
Medical Student
How often does nymc test their students? Is it block by block basis? Or like every 2-3,4 weeks? And are there multiple exams in that one week? Or just one big exam?
Roughly speaking first year is every 2-3 weeks, second year is about every 4.

Tchotchke

2+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2017
Status
Medical Student
@21Rush12 Could you please provide some information regarding Clinical training (first 2 years) & Research opportunity in NYMC?
it's described well on the school website. Clinical skills class is very good in my opinion called FCM. Research is what you make of it, also mentioned on site i assume.

Reactions: Hour22

dgray

2+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2017
Status
Medical Student
@21Rush12 Could you please provide some information regarding Clinical training (first 2 years) & Research opportunity in NYMC?
There are a few components to clinical training in the preclinical years:
1. Preceptorship: you spend 8 half days over the course of the first year working with an attending/preceptor, interviewing patients with residents, etc. Pretty standard preceptorship stuff. This continues in the second year as well.
2. Standardized patients: we learn first in small groups / practicing with each other how to conduct a patient history/physical exam, and then practice these skills with standardized patients (paid actors). The first year is just mastering basic skills, the second year includes more difficult patients, and actually gets into diff. diagnosis etc.
3. Patient panels: there are FCM (foundations of clinical medicine) lectures and patient encounters, in which they bring patients into the school and you can ask them questions as a class (ie. you could ask a patient with Autism Spectrum Disorder about their experience in healthcare, etc).

For research, I would check out the following site:

NYMC has a yearly research forum for student poster and platform presentations, and offers stipends for summer research with NYMC faculty (and a few stipends for research at other institutions.) There is also a research concentration which you could choose to participate in, which includes attending student research presentations (held twice a month), an online research course, and presenting your research in some way during your first three years of school.

Hope that helps!

dgray

2+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2017
Status
Medical Student
If you're very curious, some forums track scores - but it's not exactly an official collection of step averages so take the numbers with a grain of salt.

Reddit link

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
There are a few components to clinical training in the preclinical years:
1. Preceptorship: you spend 8 half days over the course of the first year working with an attending/preceptor, interviewing patients with residents, etc. Pretty standard preceptorship stuff. This continues in the second year as well.
2. Standardized patients: we learn first in small groups / practicing with each other how to conduct a patient history/physical exam, and then practice these skills with standardized patients (paid actors). The first year is just mastering basic skills, the second year includes more difficult patients, and actually gets into diff. diagnosis etc.
3. Patient panels: there are FCM (foundations of clinical medicine) lectures and patient encounters, in which they bring patients into the school and you can ask them questions as a class (ie. you could ask a patient with Autism Spectrum Disorder about their experience in healthcare, etc).

For research, I would check out the following site:

NYMC has a yearly research forum for student poster and platform presentations, and offers stipends for summer research with NYMC faculty (and a few stipends for research at other institutions.) There is also a research concentration which you could choose to participate in, which includes attending student research presentations (held twice a month), an online research course, and presenting your research in some way during your first three years of school.

Hope that helps!
Thank you so much for the information. You rock!

Reactions: 21Rush12
Mar 31, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
received an email today 10:34, rejection. They offered one of their masters program with conditional acceptance into their medical program. The masters they offered was the interdisciplinary basic medical science 2 year masters. Already have a similar offer at SUNY Upstate for a 1 year masters, so will most likely take the shorter route. Kinda expected this because of my average MCAT. Overall its very nice to see medical programs offering alternative routes into their med.schools!