2018-2019 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just checked the portal. Placed on hold since 8/3. Sigh

Members don't see this ad.

Complete in the middle of July, but haven't gotten a II or haven't been placed on hold. No activity at all for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Complete in the middle of July, but haven't gotten a II or haven't been placed on hold. No activity at all for me. Wtf.

This is normal, there’s a big burst of people at the beginning (the eager beavers) and it takes time to work through. Timeline of interview invite has nothing to do with chance of acceptance, and they send invites through March.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sigh. I just checked the portal and apparently I was placed on pre-II hold. Man that's disappointing.

IS, ORM, LizzyM 73.

Hi everyone! Rising M3 here, happy to help answer any questions. There’s a lot of information to be had in last year’s thread that is still ongoing for the current waitlisted students.

Good luck all! NYMC is a great place to be.

Do you have any advice for preparing for MMI's specifically for this school. This is my first interview so Im pretty nervous/lost :) Should I also be prepared for general interview questions like "why medicine, why this school etc.?" The MMI description in the email the school sent made it seem like all stations are scenario stations but I have heard that one station is devoted to general questions. Any help would be appreciated!

Do you have any advice for preparing for MMI's specifically for this school. This is my first interview so Im pretty nervous/lost :) Should I also be prepared for general interview questions like "why medicine, why this school etc.?" The MMI description in the email the school sent made it seem like all stations are scenario stations but I have heard that one station is devoted to general questions. Any help would be appreciated!

I would say be prepared for both just in case, as a good rule for any interview. Being nervous is normal, just be prepared to have conversations with interviewers and practice with someone who can give you feedback to improve. It’s nowhere near as bad as it sounds.

I would say be prepared for both just in case, as a good rule for any interview. Being nervous is normal, just be prepared to have conversations with interviewers and practice with someone who can give you feedback to improve. It’s nowhere near as bad as it sounds.
Thank you!

The MMI is pretty laid back, they're just looking to assess if you can defend a position and have the morals of a decent human being. The key is to get straight to the point because you only have a few minutes per station.

Members don't see this ad :)
II on Aug 27th! In-State, Complete 7/15

Last edited:
Just took the CASPer today... is it too late for NYMC?? Another school on my top choices !!

NYMC pls! been complete here since like 7/12.

Reactions: 1 user
The MMI is pretty laid back, they're just looking to assess if you can defend a position and have the morals of a decent human being. The key is to get straight to the point because you only have a few minutes per station.
Thank you, that is very helpful.

Did anyone here make the mistake of submitting the secondary payment twice?

Do our letters to NYMC absolutely have to have an AMCAS ID listed on them? I thought this wasn't required when my letters got received by AMCAS...now all my 6 letter writers are probably not going to be able to update everything. It took me a while to get LORs in the first place. What can I do? :(

Just checked my portal and apparently I've been on hold since 8/3. So many holds this cycle :dead:

Still nothing for me. Complete 7/12 (secondary) or 7/26(CA$Per) depending on what they need to start reviewing.

Do our letters to NYMC absolutely have to have an AMCAS ID listed on them? I thought this wasn't required when my letters got received by AMCAS...now all my 6 letter writers are probably not going to be able to update everything. It took me a while to get LORs in the first place. What can I do? :(
wondering the same

I’m sure it will be okay — email them and ask what to do just for your own sanity. They’re very busy (>10k apps per year) but also very nice and helpful.

Where did you hear that this was required?

On their secondary instructions pdf it states "Please request your AMCAS ID # be included on each of your letters." The wording seems like more of a preference than an actual requirement. My letters were already sent in before I got their secondary instructions and I imagine a-lot of other applicants as well, so hopefully it s not a big deal.

On their secondary instructions pdf it states "Please request your AMCAS ID # be included on each of your letters." The wording seems like more of a preference than an actual requirement. My letters were already sent in before I got their secondary instructions and I imagine a-lot of other applicants as well, so hopefully it s not a big deal.
I don't understand why? They come attached with your AMCAS ID since they download them from amcas

I don't understand why? They come attached with your AMCAS ID since they download them from amcas
^This. That would be like "I'm writing this in support of Zathric, as you can see by this being for Zathric's application. btw this is for Zathric, his AMCAS ID is Zathrics and if you want his social security you can have this too.
This is for Zathric.

What do holds mean for this school? I know for UCSD its essentially a rejection, but its not terrible for GW.

It means you’re on hold. Can come off hold and be invited to interview any time.

I think they know what a "hold" literally means... They are asking what it means in terms of their chances at this specific school. Some schools actually interview applicants that were placed on hold, while others they may as well have just sent you a rejection.

I think they know what a "hold" literally means... They are asking what it means in terms of their chances at this specific school. Some schools actually interview applicants that were placed on hold, while others they may as well have just sent you a rejection.

I know what they’re asking, and that’s what I’m answering. A quick browse of the past threads will show that many people come off hold, are interviewed, and are accepted every year.

Submitted everything in early July and complete app in late August...is this processing speed typical for everyone?

This school is literally my first choice. #plsnoticeme :clap:

The portal says that I have been under review since the beginning of August but it doesn't say anything about whether the CASPer was received by them. Is that normal? Is it supposed to say something about CASPer?

The portal says that I have been under review since the beginning of August but it doesn't say anything about whether the CASPer was received by them. Is that normal? Is it supposed to say something about CASPer?
Yes it’ll say under the review part that admissions has received your Casper score

Reactions: 1 users