2018-2019 Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lawpy

42% Full Member
7+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Reaction score
Please post the secondary questions once you receive them. Check last year's thread in the 2017-2018 SSD forum for last year's questions, they tend to not change very much from year to year.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

What's the pre-secondary screen for OOS applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary just received 7/27 (IS)

NEW PROMPT THIS YEAR:

"Please complete a brief personal statement of 5,000 characters or fewer addressing the question below:
What do you hope to achieve from your experience as a NEOMED student?"

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone else pre-write secondaries based on the historic trend only to have a whole new bombshell dropped in the form of a 5000 character PS? :/

Did anyone else pre-write secondaries based on the historic trend only to have a whole new bombshell dropped in the form of a 5000 character PS? :/

Literally almost prewrote all of them this week, but got too lazy..... thank God lol those were annoying

Not too excited to do this. With a PS and them requiring CASPer now, may reconsider applying despite getting an II here last cycle.

Secondary just received 7/27 (IS)

NEW PROMPT THIS YEAR:

"Please complete a brief personal statement of 5,000 characters or fewer addressing the question below:
What do you hope to achieve from your experience as a NEOMED student?"

Is this another way of asking "Why NEOMED"? Wondering if I should pre-write it since I don't know what their screening for secondary.

Is this another way of asking "Why NEOMED"? Wondering if I should pre-write it since I don't know what their screening for secondary.
Thats the way I took it. Like obviously you want to go there to get a good education that enables you to do well on USMLE and then a good residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not too excited to do this. With a PS and them requiring CASPer now, may reconsider applying despite getting an II here last cycle.
They require CASPer? Could you let me know where to find this requirement on their website? I haven't found it.

Its not on their site but its in the drop down on the CASPer site.
Mm, that's interesting.. So I suppose they take CASPer but they do not outright require it? It should be listed as a requirement on their site if they do. I'll have to email and ask. Thanks for mentioning it, I never would have checked!

Mm, that's interesting.. So I suppose they take CASPer but they do not outright require it? It should be listed as a requirement on their site if they do. I'll have to email and ask. Thanks for mentioning it, I never would have checked!

This is straight from their secondary app site after u submit:

"Please go to takecasper.com as soon as it is convenient to take the situational judgement test and share your scores with NEOMED. Your secondary application will not be considered for interview invitation and will not move forward without NEOMED receiving a CASPer score from you"

I've been complete for over a week but totally missed that part and never sent in my score until minutes ago. L

So I realize they require at least a 125 on each of the MCAT subsections for the BS/MD program. Does anyone know if they also require this for traditional applicants? I don't see anything on their website about that for the MD program

Finally submitted this one, I hope they don't yield protect against in state students

So is anyone actually hitting the 5000 character limit on the secondary essay?

So is anyone actually hitting the 5000 character limit on the secondary essay?

I hit about 4000 but only because I just used a bunch of other stuff I already wrote for other schools and then tied it all together at the end on how neomed would specifically work well with all of it. Otherwise I would have ended up with just a 300 word why neomed essay so I felt this way was better.

So I realize they require at least a 125 on each of the MCAT subsections for the BS/MD program. Does anyone know if they also require this for traditional applicants? I don't see anything on their website about that for the MD program

+1

Are there any good specialized research programs for med students besides the Summer Research Fellowship.

OOS have not heard from NEOMED about secondary application. How do they screen for OOS with no ties?

I totally forgot if i even submitted my secondary or not and it won't let me into the system to check if i did lol

In-state and also waiting for my secondary here, have been verified for about a week and it's one of the last ones I'm waiting on...

Just received an email saying they will be screening and sending out secondaries mid-November if eligible.

Got a secondary today, oos. Completely forgot about this school. Stats are mediocre at best

Just received an email saying they will be screening and sending out secondaries mid-November if eligible.

1+ I'm thinkin this means I was put in the maybe pile even to get a secondary

Hmmm Im IS and got a secondary about 10 min after sending my primary. I also interviewed here last cycle so that may explain why

I ended up getting mine today after posting about it last night lol. Haven't even started writing it but I feel better at least having it

It’s just a single essay right? Just wanna make sure I’m not crazy.

So it says on MSAR the school does not require letters of recommendation. Has anyone sent some to the school anyway?

So it says on MSAR the school does not require letters of recommendation. Has anyone sent some to the school anyway?
I sent one before I knew they didn't take them. Oh well....I guess they can always just not look at them lol

I interviewed here last cycle and I could have sworn I saw a LOR on top of my application at my interview (which was pretty laid back for 1 and kinda more strict for the other). I dont think they take them into account at all.

just received an email telling me my CASPer score is in and that they will begin sending interview invites starting late september

just received an email telling me my CASPer score is in and that they will begin sending interview invites starting late september
when did you take casper? I took it at the beginning of the month and didnt get an email from the shcool

I’m OOS. Got secondary within two days after submitting primary. No ties to Ohio.

when did you take casper? I took it at the beginning of the month and didnt get an email from the shcool

You didn’t ask me, but I took Casper 7/8 and got the email 8/21.

Maybe yours will come soon...I think it takes a month or so for Casper results to be transmitted to the school (so they probably just got your results?)..and then it’s week or two after that for them to send the complete email?

Anyone know the interview months for this cycle? I figured it would be later than most considering Casper, but curious about the specifics.

?? Did they actually say that they’ll be sending out secondaries in November ? Lol

Strong candidates go first.

From email:

However, we are also aware that every application tells an individual story. We tend to not begin to make decisions of preliminary rejection (denial) until we have the opportunity to review all AMCAS applications, and in many cases wait until all MCAT dates have also passed prior to rendering any decisions.

We will complete our screening process by about mid-November to determine secondary application eligibility, but we will be working diligently between now and then reviewing files as well. We appreciate your patience as we consider your application for secondary application inclusion. “