2018-2019 Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's what I want to know too. I know there are about 35-40 students in their class coming from the traditional pathway, but for instance if someone is from southwestern ohio (like me), what's their realistic chance of getting in?
They told us at our interview that they would accept somewhere between 20 and 25 traditional applicants this cycle. So, IS and OOS chances aren't too hot in general lol.

Members don't see this ad.

They told us at our interview that they would accept somewhere between 20 and 25 traditional applicants this cycle. So, IS and OOS chances aren't too hot in general lol.
Outright accept? Or total? Maybe they added more BS/MD spots at the expense of traditional. That sucks cuz they interviewed over 300 last year

Enrollment Data | NEOMED <--- From their enrollment data, it seems like the average is 30-40, but they actually told you that their are planning to only accept 20-25 direct admission students this year? Lol, they are probably all going to be people with direct connections to NE Ohio. That's disappointing. How was the interview btw? Can you tell us more about it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Enrollment Data | NEOMED <--- From their enrollment data, it seems like the average is 30-40, but they actually told you that their are planning to only accept 20-25 direct admission students this year? Lol, they are probably all going to be people with direct connections to NE Ohio. That's disappointing. How was the interview btw? Can you tell us more about it?
FWIW I grew up in NE Ohio and ended up getting stuck right in the middle of the WL last year.

Was your interview for the direct entry (just MD) program? Any tips for interview day? I have one on 10/23

Was your interview for the direct entry (just MD) program? Any tips for interview day? I have one on 10/23

I applied as a direct entry applicant. It's not stressful (at least in my opinion) so I wouldn't worry much. There were two 25 minute interviews which were both conversational in a casual format. Some people expressed that they had a tougher time with their interviewers but both of my interviewers were great and seemed like they generally wanted to get to know me. They explained that this is the last year that they will be admitting students from the previous BS/MD track so nothing really changes for us - it's next year's applicants that will benefit (if at all). They will still have a similar program but it will be a 4-year BS/MD program rather than the previous 2 years of undergrad then straight to med school program that they used to offer. An interesting point that they mentioned in the introduction was that our stats no longer mattered at the point of the interview (as with many other schools). BUT, apparently the interview is not "make it or break it" either. So how exactly they are going to decide who gets one of those spots, I have no idea lol.

Reactions: 1 user
I have an interview here tomorrow...any advice?
Do they normally ask a lot of ethical/healthcare questions...or is it more getting to know you?

I have an interview here tomorrow...any advice?
Do they normally ask a lot of ethical/healthcare questions...or is it more getting to know you?

Check previous post. Good luck and see you tomorrow :)

I applied as a direct entry applicant. It's not stressful (at least in my opinion) so I wouldn't worry much. There were two 25 minute interviews which were both conversational in a casual format. Some people expressed that they had a tougher time with their interviewers but both of my interviewers were great and seemed like they generally wanted to get to know me. They explained that this is the last year that they will be admitting students from the previous BS/MD track so nothing really changes for us - it's next year's applicants that will benefit (if at all). They will still have a similar program but it will be a 4-year BS/MD program rather than the previous 2 years of undergrad then straight to med school program that they used to offer. An interesting point that they mentioned in the introduction was that our stats no longer mattered at the point of the interview (as with many other schools). BUT, apparently the interview is not "make it or break it" either. So how exactly they are going to decide who gets one of those spots, I have no idea lol.

I was wondering what your impression was/if you can be more specific on how the interview went. I'm curious if it is more focused on your applications and they sort of talk about the things you've done or was it more related to outside questions like the future of healthcare and ethical scenarios.

I feel like the interviews are going to fly by pretty fast...also was the interviews after the intro/lunch and all that?

Appreciate clarification on the day. I'm going to drive in the same day although I am little worried about morning rush hour traffic. It about an hour drive away, but I'm going to leave two hours in advance to give myself time to find the place or in case I run into traffic.

My interview was only focused on my application and where I saw myself specifically in the future

Both of my interviews flew by. You won’t know if you have morning or afternoon interviews until you get there. Basically if you choose the earliest arrival time (I think it’s 8 or 9) you will have morning interviews and the later arrival times will have afternoon interviews

There was absolutely no traffic on my drive in, but we may have taken different routes! Definitely plan to get there early just in case!

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! I signed up for the later one just because I'm driving in the same day. 8-9 was little too early for me so I'm guessing I'll have an interview in the afternoon. That's good to know its more applicant focused given the short interview times we have with each person. I can sit there and debate healthcare topics and all that, but more interested in talking about my application and how I fit with the school haha.

P.S love your username lol.

I will update everyone and let you know how it went tomorrow.

Interviewed here for the direct entry program yesterday! It was a great experience and I love the campus, resources, and opportunities available. Moving to Rootstown would definitely be an adjustment to me, but I love the campus enough to make it work. One interviewer was pretty tough for me because he didn't really talk, mainly asked me questions and expected me to talk on and on for 25 minutes. My second interviewer was wonderful and we had a great conversation. Let me know if you have any questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone comment on Uber/Lyft usage for the interview? I wanted to flying into Cleveland and then take an Uber or Lyft to the place I am staying overnight near NEOMED, then an Uber or Lyft from where I am staying to my interview, then an Uber or Lyft from my interview back to Cleveland. My concern is whether or not Uber or Lyft are active in these areas.

Can anyone comment on Uber/Lyft usage for the interview? I wanted to flying into Cleveland and then take an Uber or Lyft to the place I am staying overnight near NEOMED, then an Uber or Lyft from where I am staying to my interview, then an Uber or Lyft from my interview back to Cleveland. My concern is whether or not Uber or Lyft are active in these areas.

I’m doing the same thing but renting a car. I figured it’d be cheaper to do that than to Uber an hour both ways from the school back to the airport in Cleveland

I’m doing the same thing but renting a car. I figured it’d be cheaper to do that than to Uber an hour both ways from the school back to the airport in Cleveland

I want to avoid renting a car :( also, I'm under 25 and considering the gas usage and the insurance I would pay for, it comes out about the same for me, maybe slightly cheaper to rent. An Uber each way is $65 not including potential increased rates.

I want to avoid renting a car :( also, I'm under 25 and considering the gas usage and the insurance I would pay for, it comes out about the same for me, maybe slightly cheaper to rent. An Uber each way is $65 not including potential increased rates.

Check for greyhound or other transit sources. Then uber from hotel to school.

I'm also under 25 but found that renting a car was definitely cheaper than using Uber. You have to consider that if you Uber, you will have to Uber from the airport to your hotel, hotel to the school, and then from the school back to airport. Plus, having a rental gives you flexibility while you're there so you can explore or go out for food or anything like that. The school is in a pretty isolated/rural area so while I'm not positive, I feel like Uber services would definitely be limited.

Interviewed here Tuesday, and it was a very relaxing day. Was more impressed with the campus than I was anticipating. Definitely would go here if I get an acceptance and not from my top choice. I think the village would be wonderful to live in and would encourage use of valuable resources, but it is MUCH more expensive than living further away. Good luck everyone! Does anyone know when we expect to here back? Is it the same estimated time as last year's thread shows?

Interviewed here Tuesday, and it was a very relaxing day. Was more impressed with the campus than I was anticipating. Definitely would go here if I get an acceptance and not from my top choice. I think the village would be wonderful to live in and would encourage use of valuable resources, but it is MUCH more expensive than living further away. Good luck everyone! Does anyone know when we expect to here back? Is it the same estimated time as last year's thread shows?

From what I can recall, the dean of Admissions said the AdCom would be meeting the 3rd or 4th week of November to make decisions and then we would recieve letters in early December saying whether we are Accepted, Rejected, or Waitlisted.

Reactions: 1 users
When I interviewed last cycle, it took about 8 weeks to get my decision. That was pretty on par with what they told us during our interview too.

II this past Wednesday! LM 74, IS, ORM, complete 10/15, but had the secondary done 9/12, was just waiting on CASPer.

Do they send complete emails? I sent in my secondary and havent hear anything after that

Do they send complete emails? I sent in my secondary and havent hear anything after that

I got an email saying thank you for completing your sec we are processing it, 2 weeks later one saying in the process of adding you Casper score, and next day an email saying we have added your Casper score and are looking at your stuff holistically. Something along those lines.

They are done interviewing for the fall semester and will be continuing in the spring (late january) so it might a while before people hear back.

They are done interviewing for the fall semester and will be continuing in the spring (late january) so it might a while before people hear back.
Well I submitted my app pretty late (on Halloween lololol) so I wasnt expecting any news for a while anyways. Last year I submitted on labor day and got an II like 10 days later so who knows. But had email issues so I dont remember getting a "you application is now complete" email vs "your secondary is in" email.

Really liked the school at my interview day yesterday, wish the numbers were more encouraging :/ considering they're only looking to fill somewhere between 16 and 38 seats with direct entry applicants, they must accept such a small number for the December decisions. Like maybe 15ish out of the 150-180 that interviewed this fall?

how long did it take from people to go from complete email to II? Is it that they arent sending IIs out right now or that they are just full for december?

how long did it take from people to go from complete email to II? Is it that they arent sending IIs out right now or that they are just full for december?

They are done interviewing for the fall. There were three dates for the fall (two October and one November I think) and there will be three more in the spring. Not sure when those will start, maybe late January. Personally, I got my II two weeks after being complete.

They are done interviewing for the fall. There were three dates for the fall (two October and one November I think) and there will be three more in the spring. Not sure when those will start, maybe late January. Personally, I got my II two weeks after being complete.
Have they started sending out for spring? I submitted on 10/31 and just got complete so idk how fast the turn around will be

For people who just interviewed, When do we expect to hear back? I was a bit confused about the admissions decision timeline

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Have they started sending out for spring? I submitted on 10/31 and just got complete so idk how fast the turn around will be

I'm not sure :/ that person above who said they declined their II makes it seem like they may be sending some out for spring now? I just wouldn't worry about it since you can't control it one way or another.The process is so variable, even if they are sending some out now there's no way to know how long it will be for your individual application to be decided on

For people who just interviewed, When do we expect to hear back? I was a bit confused about the admissions decision timeline

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My understanding was that we would hear back in early December with either an acceptance, waitlist, or rejection. I think the timeline only gets really stretched out if you're waitlisted because of them having to wait for spring to see how their linkage program seats fill.

I'm a current NEOMED student just here to answer questions and help you guys out. They accepted 18 direct entries out of over 3000 applications last year and the waitlist did not open until July 13th and 2 people got off the WL during the first week of school. The BS/MD program has one last class to matriculate so the 20-25 spots available number is absolutely accurate. In future years it will be 80+ direct entry admissions with the partner schools sending fewer matriculants. First batch of interviews won't hear decisions until beginning of December. They interview into next semester so there's still a chance at interviews but this is probably the lowest yield school in the country considering the super limited number of spots. Post-interview acceptance rate is between 6-8%.

The school is amazing. I absolutely love it here. We have so many opportunities and the people here really care about this region and practicing person-centered healthcare (a lot of schools say that, most don't live up to it... NEOMED does). NEOMED is debuting a systems-based curriculum and it will be a huge improvement over the current curriculum. The administration listens to feedback and is always trying to improve. I won't be on here often but I'll try to respond to as many people as I can throughout the year. Good luck to all of you this cycle!!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a current NEOMED student just here to answer questions and help you guys out. They accepted 18 direct entries out of over 3000 applications last year and the waitlist did not open until July 13th and 2 people got off the WL during the first week of school. The BS/MD program has one last class to matriculate so the 20-25 spots available number is absolutely accurate. In future years it will be 80+ direct entry admissions with the partner schools sending fewer matriculants. First batch of interviews won't hear decisions until beginning of December. They interview into next semester so there's still a chance at interviews but this is probably the lowest yield school in the country considering the super limited number of spots. Post-interview acceptance rate is between 6-8%.

The school is amazing. I absolutely love it here. We have so many opportunities and the people here really care about this region and practicing person-centered healthcare (a lot of schools say that, most don't live up to it... NEOMED does). NEOMED is debuting a systems-based curriculum and it will be a huge improvement over the current curriculum. The administration listens to feedback and is always trying to improve. I won't be on here often but I'll try to respond to as many people as I can throughout the year. Good luck to all of you this cycle!!
And the WL can be variable. At my interview last year they said they WL most people and that one year they took up to spot 120 on the WL. Then the next year they took like....spot 2.

Got placed on alternate list. Just got the email.

+1 do they have both a waitlist and alternate list or just an alternate list? If they have both what is the difference?

I think they only have an alternate list..... idk though. I am not too upset about this , was kind of expecting it, not because the interview did not go well, just because of the competitive nature of their admission process.

Waitlisted for traditional application based on interview 11/7. The email says they won't really contact us again until May after the second round of interviews.

What I don't understand exactly is this. "In recent years, NEOMED has made many offers of admission to alternate list ranked candidates during the summer. The last candidates admitted have been ranked as high as 33 and as low as 117 within the last 3 admission cycles. You can see this is a fluid situation in any given year."

Last years thread makes it seem as though not even the top 10 on the waitlist got an offer, but am I right to assume this means at least the top 33 received an offer?

What I don't understand exactly is this. "In recent years, NEOMED has made many offers of admission to alternate list ranked candidates during the summer. The last candidates admitted have been ranked as high as 33 and as low as 117 within the last 3 admission cycles. You can see this is a fluid situation in any given year."

Last years thread makes it seem as though not even the top 10 on the waitlist got an offer, but am I right to assume this means at least the top 33 received an offer?

That is how I was reading that too!