2018-2019 Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats to those accepted! :D

Meanwhile I got deferred. I checked the portal and the letter (not email) specifically says decisions will be told in March, rather than during February. Was wondering if this was the same for others who were deferred?

Mine says the same

Members don't see this ad :)
Can we send in additional letters of recommendation as updates?

For people who have already interviewed, could you give some insight about the one-on-one interviews? Were they more conversational/did they ask any tricky questions? Thank you in advance!!

For people who have already interviewed, could you give some insight about the one-on-one interviews? Were they more conversational/did they ask any tricky questions? Thank you in advance!!

Very conversational, I don’t think there were any set questions. First interview we talked primarily about my research, second primarily Chicago hospitals.

Also what was the group interview vibe?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Relaxed. It’s 2-on-1 with a brief activity. Just listen to the other interviewee, brainstorm, and be respectful.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone who interviewed 12/11 hear back?

I'm interviewing MSTP next week. Anyone who's gone through the process willing to share what the two days are like?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interviewing MSTP next week. Anyone who's gone through the process willing to share what the two days are like?
It was pretty chill actually. Mostly faculty interviews. The MD interview was relaxed as well. Loved the students and the bar they took us to. No pressure at all. Plus it was business casual, which I think helped keeper the vibe super relaxed.

II this morning! For those wondering, I was complete mid-July, but recently sent an update to admissions.

Reactions: 5 users
I know we were told not to send thank you notes to admissions. Are people still sending thank you notes to their individual interviewers or would this be going against the med school's request as well?
Bruh

Reactions: 12 users
I know we were told not to send thank you notes to admissions. Are people still sending thank you notes to their individual interviewers or would this be going against the med school's request as well?
prime premed question

Reactions: 2 users
Just don’t send the note, it barely makes a difference in admissions

Does anyone know when exactly in February the deferred people hear back

Is there a get together event the evening before the interview? Haven't heard of anything, but don't want to miss out!

t
Is there a get together event the evening before the interview? Haven't heard of anything, but don't want to miss out!
there wasn't when I interviewed! but you have a lot of time to interact casually with current students during the interview day itself. It's very relaxed and meant to be informative for you, so ask whatever questions you want!

Does anyone know when exactly in February the deferred people hear back
I just had an interview here recently and they said mid February! So I'm kind of expecting around the 15th

Are they still handing out interviews? Or are they done?

So who here is accepted to multiple schools but will most likely choose Northwestern? I want to hear your thoughts lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

this is a kind of random question but do med schools talk to each other / know if we're sending letter of interests to multiple schools? I plan on only sending one letter of intent and multiple letters of interest but idk if med schools let each other know if they're planning on taking one student and telling neighboring schools to not accept them etc.

I interviewed here recently and I got a sheet of paper with all the other candidates who interviewed with me. Almost everyone had a photo next to their name except me. Did I miss something where I was supposed to upload a photo?

I interviewed here recently and I got a sheet of paper with all the other candidates who interviewed with me. Almost everyone had a photo next to their name except me. Did I miss something where I was supposed to upload a photo?
Yes, I remember uploading a photo. As an aside, when did they tell your interview group you would all be hearing back?

Yes, I remember uploading a photo. As an aside, when did they tell your interview group you would all be hearing back?
took a look at your signature and you're killing it!! :bow:

They told us early February! After that, there is only a waitlist, no more deferrals

Do you remember how you uploaded the photo? I don't see an option for that through the application portal and don't see any requests for a photo in my emails with FSM. Thanks for the help!!

Do you remember how you uploaded the photo? I don't see an option for that through the application portal and don't see any requests for a photo in my emails with FSM. Thanks for the help!!
I think it was when I was choosing my interview date, there was a place to upload a picture. I can’t quite remember, but I definitely uploaded one.

Hi all- current Feinberg student here, should be able to answer any/all questions you have. Extremely happy with my decision to train here! If it makes you all feel better, I hadn't even interviewed at Feinberg by this time during my cycle and got accepted so don't sweat it.

Reactions: 7 users
Hi all- current Feinberg student here, should be able to answer any/all questions you have. Extremely happy with my decision to train here! If it makes you all feel better, I hadn't even interviewed at Feinberg by this time during my cycle and got accepted so don't sweat it.
Thanks for taking the time to come on here! I would love to hear your take on the student housing. We got very little info on it on interview day other than it's subsidized but not gauranteed. Is it nice? What Floorplans are available? Is there couples housing? What's rent like? How hard is it to get into? (I understand there's some sort of waitlist for it?). Any info you can offer is much appreciated!

This is inspirational, God bless you :bow:

This is the student housing, it's right across the street from campus. Worcester House: MD Education: Feinberg School of Medicine: Northwestern University

I've never actually been, but had a few classmates who lived there. It's ok if you're just looking for the cheapest no-frills option close to campus. There are SO many housing options in Chicago that most people who are looking for more affordable housing just get roommates or choose a 20-30 min commute on the train or bus. You pay a little more in Chicago but still very affordable compared to cities like NYC, Boston, SF, DC, etc. Most students actually live within 5-10 minute walk of campus, certainly doable on loans.

hi! mind if I ask when did you hear from them about an interview invite?

Reactions: 1 users
Should I message them if I haven’t heard back from mstp

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions!

Do you feel you have adequate time for in depth engagement in things you’re passionate about (whether that’s research, volunteering, or some other time-consuming activity)?

What’s the best and worst part about FSM?

Thanks! What are exams at Feinberg like?

Can you talk about what a typical day is like during MS1/MS2? When lectures start in the AM, how often PBL/small groups meet, and what time you typically wrap up in the afternoon/evening? Thanks!

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions!

Do you feel you have adequate time for in depth engagement in things you’re passionate about (whether that’s research, volunteering, or some other time-consuming activity)?

What’s the best and worst part about FSM?

Definitely have enough time for deep engagement- one of the best things about FSM is the endless opportunities. You'll have to limit yourself to one, maybe two deep dives but that's the reality of med school. Tons of people do research, there are a bunch of free clinics you can volunteer at/lead, and Chicago has plenty of other time-consuming activities haha.

Best things:
- Arguably best location of a med school in the country. Not sure how they were able to build a med school in the heart of the city. 1-2 blocks from the lake with a 30+mile running/bike path/BEACHES, 1-2 blocks from Michigan Avenue, 15-20 min walk from 2 awesome urban parks, endless amazing restaurants to check out, great music/comedy scenes.
- Supportive admin - every year, there are students who take a leave of absence due to a variety of personal/family/health reasons. As far as I can remember, all of these students have still come back to med school and will graduate. I think that's pretty incredible and a testament to how hard the deans will work to support you.
- P/F preclinical curriculum.
- ECMH, the primary care continuity clinic, is an awesome experience M1-M4 and has been expanded so every student will be enrolled. You will have patients that consider you their main doctor.
- Endless opportunities- research, etc etc. Maybe a dozen or so students have taken a gap year to pursue MBA, MPH, or research fellowships.
- Clinical training is excellent. The Northwestern residents are awesome and you feel like part of the team as an M3/M4. Also my impression is that we have it pretty easy, we only do like 5-6 total night shifts in med school and no 24hr call, when I've had friends taking like q3-4 overnight call at other places....like why?
- Even if you're an average student, you're gonna match GREAT
Match Results: MD Education: Feinberg School of Medicine: Northwestern University
Worst things:
- The winters
- Probably true at most schools, but hard to feel like a standout student here. Have enough people doing derm, ortho, ENT, IR, ophtho to make your head spin.
- Probably unnecessary to spend 50K+ on tuition at a urban tertiary care med school if you want to do family med
- We are a younger class due to the premedical scholars program. Many people are "traditionally non-traditional," meaning they took 1-2 years off to do consulting or something like that. A few of my classmates have babies now, but we started with no students over the age of 30. This isn't necessarily bad but older students may feel isolated due to the youngins having different priorities.

Reactions: 4 users