2018-2019 Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone who interviewed in and after mid-December been notified that they were deferred?

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like more of us haven't heard back from mid-December than have, so considering their post-interview acceptance rate, I think we have a good chance still.
Also interviewed mid december and haven’t heard back!

I called the admissions office and the woman I spoke to made it pretty clear that they are running behind schedule and that they’ve got a good amount of positive decisions to release still. She said all decisions should be released by the end of the month.

My guess is sometime this week but who knows.

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I called the admissions office and the woman I spoke to made it pretty clear that they are running behind schedule and that they’ve got a good amount of positive decisions to release still. She said all decisions should be released by the end of the month.

My guess is sometime this week but who knows.
This is fantastic news. I think the MVP award for this thread goes to Qwerty678.

Reactions: 2 users
Qwerty678 congratulations on being named MVP. Hopefully you’re rewarded accordingly

Does anyone else still have no no change in their portal? Not sure if I'm missing something, or if it means bad news. Interviewed mid December. For those who had changes was it obvious or am missing something? Getting worried this means bad news is coming

I agree with diesel17. I interviewed mid December and haven’t heard back. I’m jotting it down as an L. I hope I’m wrong but I feel like we would’ve been grabbed on Friday had we been accepted.

Best of luck to those still waiting!

It sounds like more of us haven't heard back from mid-December than have, so considering their post-interview acceptance rate, I think we have a good chance still.

Also interviewed mid december and haven’t heard back!

+1 to mid December interviewee not hearing back

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone who interviewed later in the cycle for MSTP heard anything back yet? It's been a bit and I believe they said this was the week.

So is delayed until March possibly a bad thing?

Reactions: 1 users
Mine has said March since i was deferred in January. The email they sent back then said February and someone else on this thread mentioned that there was a discrepancy because the portal said March. So unless people's portals changed from February to March I don't think it means anything...

Mine has said March since i was deferred in January. The email they sent back then said February and someone else on this thread mentioned that there was a discrepancy because the portal said March. So unless people's portals changed from February to March I don't think it means anything...
Yeah my portal changed from Feb to March (deferred in Nov) like a week or so ago, hope it doesn't mean bad news

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah my portal changed from Feb to March (deferred in Nov) like a week or so ago, hope it doesn't mean bad news

Ohhh gotcha....sorry to assume. I wasn't aware people's portals said February before. But I hope it's not bad news! I get that the wait gets more excruciating the more you're pushed back though :(

Question for accepted students: This message was shared with us on the portal:

"Please also note that Feinberg will be adhering to the AAMC Acceptance Protocols and expect that our applicants will participate fully in the process by utilizing the Choose Your Medical School Tool"

Are there any actions we're expected/required to take after being accepted? Like select a school to "plan to enroll" at? Thanks for the help, still learning the new traffic rules lol

"Please also note that Feinberg will be adhering to the AAMC Acceptance Protocols and expect that our applicants will participate fully in the process by utilizing the Choose Your Medical School Tool"

Are their any actions we're expected/required to take after being accepted? Like select a school to "plan to enroll" at? Thanks for the help, still learning the new traffic rules lol

+1

Are there any actions we're expected/required to take after being accepted? Like select a school to "plan to enroll" at? Thanks for the help, still learning the new traffic rules lol
The message implies that they expect us to use the "Plan to Enroll" and "Commit to Enroll" tools. I don't interpret their message as meaning we must select them specifically (if you're holding multiple acceptances) using the "Plan to Enroll" tool before April 30th.

When do y’all think the rest of decisions (waitlists and rejections will come out)? Super disappointed to have not heard back last week and hoping for a waitlist at this point

lol, weird question but anyone who never saw an upload picture option when selecting their interview/had a blank face on the piece of paper they gave us get accepted?

lol, weird question but anyone who never saw an upload picture option when selecting their interview/had a blank face on the piece of paper they gave us get accepted?

Tbh I think I did that too but it turned out fine

When do y’all think the rest of decisions (waitlists and rejections will come out)? Super disappointed to have not heard back last week and hoping for a waitlist at this point

Guessing Friday at 6pm since that’s when the last two have gone out

Well someone called the admissions office earlier this week to ask and they still have plenty of acceptances to send out, apparently, so I think it’s a bit premature to assume that everyone who hasn’t heard back didn’t get in...

The AAMC medical school virtual fair is currently ongoing, and there are reps from Feinberg on the chat including Dr. Kundu that are answering questions that you may have! It lasts till later this evening.

Well someone called the admissions office earlier this week to ask and they still have plenty of acceptances to send out, apparently, so I think it’s a bit premature to assume that everyone who hasn’t heard back didn’t get in...

That's fair, but as a December interviewee, I definitely don't have my hopes too high

That's fair, but as a December interviewee, I definitely don't have my hopes too high
I interviewed in October and I'm still trying to stay positive here, seems like there might be more acceptances coming in so the best we can do is hope for the best!

Hey all, I'm a current M3. Happy to answer questions about the school as decisions near. *I don't have information on specific admissions statuses or when decisions will be made.

For anyone who is worried about fitting in as a POC, non-traditional, or otherwise "different" candidate, you may find this post from one of my classmates useful: On going to medical school where the student body is not like you

And on today's episode of Feinberg Friday...

Reactions: 7 users
Did anybody get accepted who did not send a letter of interest? Good luck to everyone today!

Any accepted students know how to register for second look? It says admitted students will receive an email with instructions on how to register but I haven’t seen that anywhere in the communications. Thanks!

Did anybody get accepted who did not send a letter of interest? Good luck to everyone today!

Hey I wouldn’t worry about a letter of interest. NW doesn’t even recommend sending thank-you emails to interviewers, so I don’t think demonstrations of continued interest are as important as at other schools. That being said, letters of intent are powerful things because they guarantee yield.

Hey I wouldn’t worry about a letter of interest. NW doesn’t even recommend sending thank-you emails to interviewers, so I don’t think demonstrations of continued interest are as important as at other schools. That being said, letters of intent are powerful things because they guarantee yield.
Idk, at my interview they specifically told us to send a letter of interest following the interview if we were still interested. I think they value them a lot, or at least more than most schools, especially considering their yield.

Idk, at my interview they specifically told us to send a letter of interest following the interview if we were still interested. I think they value them a lot, or at least more than most schools, especially considering their yield.

That makes sense, sorry if my advice was misleading! I interviewed later in the cycle so maybe they didn’t mention it because decisions would be released shortly anyway.

That makes sense, sorry if my advice was misleading! I interviewed later in the cycle so maybe they didn’t mention it because decisions would be released shortly anyway.
I asked about this at my mid-january interview. Was told they were definitely welcomed for earlier interviews but for mid January it was fine either way to send before decisions or wait until after waitlisted

Is an update that also says how much you wanna go there equivalent to a letter of interest? Or should I send both separately?

I think a letter of interest that includes an update is fine (though I'm just a premed).

good lord I genuinely felt a bit dizzy seeing this thread just now haha, this is too stressful

Looks like today is the day then. Good luck everybody.

Do they send decisions 6 pm EST or 6 pm central? Cause I haven't received anything

Do they send decisions 6 pm EST or 6 pm central? Cause I haven't received anything

I'm in the same boat as you. Last week it was at 6 PM central time IIRC. Could be that they're updating portal as they go? IDK, but I'd wait at least another hour before giving up hope of hearing back today.

EDIT

At any rate, someone earlier in the thread called admissions and said that the end of the month is their deadline for decisions, which makes it sound like they might not get everyone today either.