2018-2019 Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone advise on scheduling back to back interviews? One of the dates I can choose from is the day after a state school interview? I'm not sure if I'll have the energy to knockout two with 48 hours especially when the second is this school.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

How far apart are the schools? I did two back to back and I think it was better that way. Knocked both out right at the start of the week and saved myself 8 extra hours of driving later on.

Members don't see this ad.

Would have to fly from Tampa to Chicago.
How far apart are the schools? I did two back to back and I think it was better that way. Knocked both out right at the start of the week and saved myself 8 extra hours of driving later on.

Would have to fly from Tampa to Chicago.

if it's a direct flight around 2-3 hours I'd say go for it. Just review stuff about the school on your flight there, and then get a good night's rest day before the interview. I had about 2-3 hour drives between mine and it wasn't bad. If you're flying you can do other stuff on the flight anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. Gonna mull it over today and make a decision. Hopefully the date doesn't fill up before then.
if it's a direct flight around 2-3 hours I'd say go for it. Just review stuff about the school on your flight there, and then get a good night's rest day before the interview. I had about 2-3 hour drives between mine and it wasn't bad. If you're flying you can do other stuff on the flight anyways.

Can anyone advise on scheduling back to back interviews? One of the dates I can choose from is the day after a state school interview? I'm not sure if I'll have the energy to knockout two with 48 hours especially when the second is this school.

I've done it before and am planning on doing it again for Feinberg. As long as you get enough sleep, it's fine (even then lol). Try not to book the last flight of the day from Tampa to Chicago or from your connecting (if you have one) to Chicago, in case flights get delayed.

Thanks for the advice.
I've done it before and am planning on doing it again for Feinberg. As long as you get enough sleep, it's fine (even then lol). Try not to book the last flight of the day from Tampa to Chicago or from your connecting (if you have one) to Chicago, in case flights get delayed.

I completely forgot about the ridiculous parking costs in chicago :(

Ridiculous Uber/Lift cost > ridiculous driving/parking cost
FWIW, my Lyft from the airport to the campus was $17. On the way back, the cost was more -- $30 -- but I shared the ride and split the cost with two other fellow interviewees. There is a pretty decent chance that others at the interview will have similar flight itineraries.

how affordable is public transportation?
I can’t speak about Chicago yet, but I’ve gotten away with around $25 a day in travel, which is much less than what the rental would cost alone. Public transportation will always win out for short term, short distance travel (<5 days, <50 miles).

how affordable is public transportation?
I think a CTA blue line ticket is $2 or so. LPT: if you fly into ORD, take the blue line to Jackson station and then ride share to your hotel etc. if it's in/near downtown. Saves a ton of money.

Reactions: 1 user
I think a CTA blue line ticket is $2 or so. LPT: if you fly into ORD, take the blue line to Jackson station and then ride share to your hotel etc. if it's in/near downtown. Saves a ton of money.
Any reason why Jackson and not Clark/Lake?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any reason why Jackson and not Clark/Lake?
I'm not sure tbh, that's just the station an adcom at another Chi school suggested I stop at. They're both in relatively safe areas (as far as I can tell, I'm not from Chicago).

Reactions: 1 users
II this morning!

LM 80-81, OOS, complete 7/16

Reactions: 7 users
II over the weekend! Was in holistic review sometime around 9/17. Complete 8/8ish.

Obsessed with this school~

Reactions: 6 users
just to clarify, this school has 2 regular one on one interviews and one group discussion?

Kinda worried about that group interview. Anyone know what it'll be like?

Kinda worried about that group interview. Anyone know what it'll be like?
I don't think group interviews are as bad as they appear. Just engage a bit with the other applicants, listen to what they say, and don't try to talk over anyone or put their opinion/answer down. Take a look over at the school's interview feedback. I've listed a few of the responses below:

Question: What did you wish you had known ahead of time?
The group interview isn't as terrifying as it sounds. Each individual person is asked a different question so that your answers are not compared. It also goes by much faster than you think.

The panel interview isn't as bad as it sounds. Our interviewers were joking around with each other and with us. It was completely low-key.

The panel interview is really not that bad--I was a little flustered in my delivery (not in content though I don't think) of answers at first for no reason. It got better and you get a chance to interact with other applicants in your panel beforehand and strike up a rapport before going in.

ive was complete here since 7/8.... am i on hold??

Does anyone know if the interviews are closed-file or open-file?

Does anyone know if the interviews are closed-file or open-file?

I'm pretty sure the faculty ones were open-file but the student/group one was definitely closed file

Anyone who interviewed here this cycle care to share their thoughts on the day?

It was honestly a pretty incredible day. Interviews are in the morning, so you get to enjoy your lunch (which was delicious!) and tour. There are three interviews, I had two with faculty and one with a 4th year student (and another interviewee). I was most nervous for the “group” interview although this ended up being so laid back and conversational. We did a practice case-based learning activity in the afternoon and got to chat with even more med students at the end of the day. It quickly turned northwestern into my top choice school!

Reactions: 2 users
It was honestly a pretty incredible day. Interviews are in the morning, so you get to enjoy your lunch (which was delicious!) and tour. There are three interviews, I had two with faculty and one with a 4th year student (and another interviewee). I was most nervous for the “group” interview although this ended up being so laid back and conversational. We did a practice case-based learning activity in the afternoon and got to chat with even more med students at the end of the day. It quickly turned northwestern into my top choice school!
I second @imdrbrightside, it's probably tied with my favorite interview experience thus far. My opinion of the school sky-rocketed after my interview day. The tour was definitely the best I've been on by far. The group interview was super chill; my interviewee partner was great and we worked really well together (don't prep for/worry about this at all). They also managed to give very informative talks without putting us to sleep—I learned a lot while I was there. Overall best part: They really made us feel like we were already a part of Northwestern. Have fun, don't be stressed, and remember that they already love you.

I second @imdrbrightside, it's probably tied with my favorite interview experience thus far. My opinion of the school sky-rocketed after my interview day. The tour was definitely the best I've been on by far. The group interview was super chill; my interviewee partner was great and we worked really well together (don't prep for/worry about this at all). They also managed to give very informative talks without putting us to sleep—I learned a lot while I was there. Overall best part: They really made us feel like we were already a part of Northwestern. Have fun, don't be stressed, and remember that they already love you.
For the group interview, are you supposed to interact with the other interviewee or just answer individual questions?

For the group interview, are you supposed to interact with the other interviewee or just answer individual questions?
For mine, the first couple questions were individual (ex: tell me about yourself) but the rest were together. It's kinda like a team activity. The interviewer might ask individual questions to a person who isn't contributing much (happened to a friend), but that didn't happen with mine. Both my partner and I came out saying "Wow that was actually kinda fun." If you've worked well in teams before, you should be totally fine

+1 for all of this, if anyone has an interview coming up and wants to PM me questions go for it. Definitely a great interview day, and (in my opinion) only beat out by one other school so far! Overall my top choice after the interview though I think

Can anybody who already interviewed confirm that the interview day ends at 3pm? I am planning my flight and know nothing about how bad Chicago airports and traffic can be.

Can anybody who already interviewed confirm that the interview day ends at 3pm? I am planning my flight and know nothing about how bad Chicago airports and traffic can be.
It did end at about 3 pm and the last part is just mingling with med students, so you could definitely leave early if you wanted to. Traffic was awful. So leave time for that. It took an hour to get to midway from Northwestern.

Well dang. So definitely need the have my flight be later than 5pm. Thanks.
It did end at about 3 pm and the last part is just mingling with med students, so you could definitely leave early if you wanted to. Traffic was awful. So leave time for that. It took an hour to get to midway from Northwestern.

Is it worth sending in my secondary? They say they accept international students but MSAR lists 0 matriculations for the past years :/

Is anyone still not in holistic review, after submitting in August?

Is anyone still not in holistic review, after submitting in August?

I'm not in holistic review either. I wonder how much of your application they look at before deciding to put you in holistic review.

I'm not in holistic review either. I wonder how much of your application they look at before deciding to put you in holistic review.
If makes you feel better I went into holistic review immediately after submitting my application 7/10 and I haven't heard so much as a peep yet. That said I never even expected the time of day from this school :p