2018-2019 Nova Southeastern School of Allopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know whether admission into the new MD program will be difficult, and if accepted, is it a risk to attend given they haven't been fully accredited yet?

Does anyone know whether admission into the new MD program will be difficult, and if accepted, is it a risk to attend given they haven't been fully accredited yet?

Just like any school the admissions process is competitive and apprehensive. It's difficult to say if it is more or less difficult than other schools because the class size is smaller.

As far as risk of applying to a new a new school, to date no school has ever lost their preliminary accreditation. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any more questions

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I met an admissions rep a little while back. Her and the dean of admissions both came from a med school in NY (Albany?), so they're pretty experienced. And I remember she said the average MCAT of the first class was pretty high, don't remember exactly how high but it was up there.

I think a strategy with new med programs is to be more selective stat-wise with their first few classes, to make sure that they're academically prepared for board exams. At least that would make sense to me...and if they are losing high-stat applicants with multiple acceptances, they'll probably be generous with scholarships to entice people to attend.

Reactions: 1 users
I met an admissions rep a little while back. Her and the dean of admissions both came from a med school in NY (Albany?), so they're pretty experienced. And I remember she said the average MCAT of the first class was pretty high, don't remember exactly how high but it was up there.

I think a strategy with new med programs is to be more selective stat-wise with their first few classes, to make sure that they're academically prepared for board exams. At least that would make sense to me...and if they are losing high-stat applicants with multiple acceptances, they'll probably be generous with scholarships to entice people to attend.

How high exactly? Are we talking 510+?

How high exactly? Are we talking 510+?

Yeah definitely, I feel like she said at least 515. She could've been exaggerating though. That was back in March, and they probably hadn't even finalized their incoming class.

NOVA has plenty of experience in the field with its DO program, however I just can’t see someone with 515+ attending NOVA MD without other decisive factors such as grants and location. Good luck everyone!

Yeah definitely, I feel like she said at least 515. She could've been exaggerating though. That was back in March, and they probably hadn't even finalized their incoming class.

No way...

No way...
Eh, it's almost certainly not a 515. That sounds more like an early target for acceptances of a new class. MSAR reports high stats for accepted students vs. matriculated students so this isn't really a surprise that a new school has high targets.

I wouldn't be worried at this point if you're not at "arbitrary MCAT target mentioned by adcom in March".

Eh, it's almost certainly not a 515. That sounds more like an early target for acceptances of a new class. MSAR reports high stats for accepted students vs. matriculated students so this isn't really a surprise that a new school has high targets.

I wouldn't be worried at this point if you're not at "arbitrary MCAT target mentioned by adcom in March".
It’s probably still around there. I think Hofstra had a 514 median after their first year so I think it’s just a new school thing

Would you mind posting the prompts?
It’s a killer. I feel like all the FL schools are trying to outcompete each other for who has the most hated secondary lol

Please provide an example that indicates your ability to function effectively as a productive member of a team working toward a common objective. Elaborate on leadership roles you held in this capacity and how you solved problems that arose. Indicate highlights learned from this experience. (Maximum 4000 characters)

Please share some personal examples of problem solving in a team environment and/or leadership experience that would lead to your success in a PBL environment. (Maximum 4000 characters)

At NSU CAM, we value the unique perspective that each applicant brings. Identify any traits, life experiences, or interests that a professor or advisor would not normally know about you. (Maximum 4000 characters)

4. How has your academic work beyond the “traditional” pre-medical school requirements (i.e., introductory biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and introductory physics) prepared you for medical school and for a career in medicine? Please highlight any service learning activities that align with humanism in medicine. (Maximum 4000 characters)

Is there a time gap between earning your last degree (baccalaureate or other) and the expected time of your medical school matriculation? If yes, please explain. (Maximum 4000 characters)

Were you employed full-time (or part-time) during your undergraduate or graduate years? If yes, please explain. (Maximum 4000 characters)

Do you believe that you are a member of a group that is under-represented in medicine? If yes, please explain. (Maximum 4000 characters)

Have you previously applied to any medical school (M.D., D.O., international)?
If yes, please explain what steps you have taken to improve your overall application profile for this admissions cycle. (Maximum 4000 characters)

Please explain any gaps or inconsistencies in either academic or standardized test performances throughout your undergraduate, graduate, or post-graduate career.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty bummed that this school does not take Canadian undergraduate degree even though I am a US citizen.

How long are you making your responses? I feel like some of the questions have relatively short answers to them.

Dear lord how are you already close to submitting! I want to die every time I look at this secondary
Lol! Only because I pre-wrote them last month and they stayed the same. All the Florida ones are so long though...it's a struggle

Dear lord how are you already close to submitting! I want to die every time I look at this secondary
lmao I opened the secondary, quickly looked through the questions, said "nope" and logged off. I'll return to this one later

Reactions: 7 users
lmao I opened the secondary, quickly looked through the questions, said "nope" and logged off. I'll return to this one later
Haha same. I just copied them to a google doc and told myself I’ll get back to it eventually. I also considered not doing it all but I already spent money on here. Might as well finish it

For your employment history while an undergraduate, how much detail did you go into? I have all of mine on amcas anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are you all answering the first two questions?

"Please provide an example that indicates your ability to function effectively as a productive member of a team working toward a common objective. Elaborate on leadership roles you held in this capacity and how you solved problems that arose. Indicate highlights learned from this experience. (Maximum 4000 characters)

Please share some personal examples of problem solving in a team environment and/or leadership experience that would lead to your success in a PBL environment. (Maximum 4000 characters) "

Aren't they essentially the same question?

How are you all answering the first two questions?

"Please provide an example that indicates your ability to function effectively as a productive member of a team working toward a common objective. Elaborate on leadership roles you held in this capacity and how you solved problems that arose. Indicate highlights learned from this experience. (Maximum 4000 characters)

Please share some personal examples of problem solving in a team environment and/or leadership experience that would lead to your success in a PBL environment. (Maximum 4000 characters) "

Aren't they essentially the same question?
I thought the exact same thing. I basically talked about different problems that came up during working on a research team. It was the same general idea for both but different specific examples for each.

legit did the same thing lol

I'll probably end up doing maybe 1500-2000 characters for each of the first four. I have no idea if they expect us to approach the 4000. That seems pretty lofty.

I came here to ask this question, because I'm about at the same character count. There's no way I'm filling these up without fluffing it unnecessarily.

I came here to ask this question, because I'm about at the same character count. There's no way I'm filling these up without fluffing it unnecessarily.
This is how much I did I only filled it halfway for each question.

For question 4: How has your academic work beyond the “traditional” pre-medical school requirements (i.e., introductory biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and introductory physics) prepared you for medical school and for a career in medicine? Please highlight any service learning activities that align with humanism in medicine.

What if there are no service learning activities associated with my academic work?

Do they want us to highlight academic work and service learning separately OR does the service learning part needed to be part of the academic program?

Reactions: 2 users
Just opened the secondary questions this morning for the first time.
Sweet Christmas.

4. How has your academic work beyond the “traditional” pre-medical school requirements (i.e., introductory biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and introductory physics) prepared you for medical school and for a career in medicine? Please highlight any service learning activities that align with humanism in medicine. (Maximum 4000 characters)
Do you think I could count my CNA certification class with the clinicals associated with it for this question? I can't think of any classes I've taken that I would even be able to BS into a good answer.

5. Is there a time gap between earning your last degree (baccalaureate or other) and the expected time of your medical school matriculation? If yes, please explain. (Maximum 4000 characters)

So how should I approach this question. I finished my bachelors Dec 2016, and currently in an MPH program. I'm on track to finish that by Spring of 2019, and if accepted, I start medical school right after that. So do I simply say no, or is this question really asking about the time between undergrad and medschool? If the latter then I should probably talk about my gap years and why I decided to get an MPH. Thoughts?

5. Is there a time gap between earning your last degree (baccalaureate or other) and the expected time of your medical school matriculation? If yes, please explain. (Maximum 4000 characters)

So how should I approach this question. I finished my bachelors Dec 2016, and currently in an MPH program. I'm on track to finish that by Spring of 2019, and if accepted, I start medical school right after that. So do I simply say no, or is this question really asking about the time between undergrad and medschool? If the latter then I should probably talk about my gap years and why I decided to get an MPH. Thoughts?
Say no. It’s basically asking if you’re still in school which you are

Complete email just now, secondary submitted 7/6

recieved completion emailing saying that’ll hear back in 2-3 weeks.

For question 4: How has your academic work beyond the “traditional” pre-medical school requirements (i.e., introductory biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and introductory physics) prepared you for medical school and for a career in medicine? Please highlight any service learning activities that align with humanism in medicine.

What if there are no service learning activities associated with my academic work?

Do they want us to highlight academic work and service learning separately OR does the service learning part needed to be part of the academic program?

Also confused on this, do we need to talk about our service ECs here or classes where there was service done,

Anyone still waiting for a secondary? I applied in the first week and I'm still waiting so I'm just nervous I might be missing something

For anyone that applied MD and DO, isn't it strange how significant the differences are between the secondary applications?

For anyone that applied MD and DO, isn't it strange how significant the differences are between the secondary applications?

The DO and MD program have no affiliation and different faculty/staff so it is not strange really.