2018-2019 Nova Southeastern School of Allopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! Trying to gather some info regarding Nova MD since the Allopathic thread isn't up yet. Anyone have tips for how to best prepare for the interview? This is my first one.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Trying to gather some info regarding Nova MD since the Allopathic thread isn't up yet. Anyone have tips for how to best prepare for the interview? This is my first one.

Last year there was a MMI and a traditional interview. I found it very helpful to look up MMI questions online and practice answering them. The interview day questions I ran into at the two MMIs I attended weren’t repeats of the material online but the practice gathering my thoughts and giving a good response within the allotted time (usually 10 mins) made the real thing much lower pressure.

For the traditional interview, I would start with goro’s guide to interviews. Make sure to get down your answer to “tell me about yourself” because if you don’t hear it at Nova you’ll encounter it elsewhere. Don’t get freaked out if your interviewer talks a lot, or very little because everyone has a different interview style. Other than that, I would say be yourself (*the most professional version of yourself), know your app, and speak about things you’re passionate about (without going off topic from the question of course). Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Last year there was a MMI and a traditional interview. I found it very helpful to look up MMI questions online and practice answering them. The interview day questions I ran into at the two MMIs I attended weren’t repeats of the material online but the practice gathering my thoughts and giving a good response within the allotted time (usually 10 mins) made the real thing much lower pressure.

For the traditional interview, I would start with goro’s guide to interviews. Make sure to get down your answer to “tell me about yourself” because if you don’t hear it at Nova you’ll encounter it elsewhere. Don’t get freaked out if your interviewer talks a lot, or very little because everyone has a different interview style. Other than that, I would say be yourself (*the most professional version of yourself), know your app, and speak about things you’re passionate about (without going off topic from the question of course). Good luck!

This year its an MMI and patient based group interview which I’m kind of bummed about since I like traditional interview styles. Any specific MMI questions I should look up/resources?

Members don't see this ad :)
This year its an MMI and patient based group interview which I’m kind of bummed about since I like traditional interview styles. Any specific MMI questions I should look up/resources?

The point of MMI isn’t to scrutinize the details of your answers, it’s to evaluate your communication abilities and sometimes ethics. For that reason, there isn’t much point in looking up specific questions and memorizing answers. In my experience, the more practice you do the better because you’ll learn to take your time, gather your thoughts, and give a well organized response that answers the prompt. You’ll find a lot of good resources for this from a quick google search, but I prefer sites that give a mix of ethical, policy based, and personal questions like this one:

The point of MMI isn’t to scrutinize the details of your answers, it’s to evaluate your communication abilities and sometimes ethics. For that reason, there isn’t much point in looking up specific questions and memorizing answers. In my experience, the more practice you do the better because you’ll learn to take your time, gather your thoughts, and give a well organized response that answers the prompt. You’ll find a lot of good resources for this from a quick google search, but I prefer sites that give a mix of ethical, policy based, and personal questions like this one:

Meant more about the group interview. I’m fine with MMIs just need to do some practice.

Are we allowed to write things down on a notecard/bring the info in from the 2 mins into the MMI station or no?

Meant more about the group interview. I’m fine with MMIs just need to do some practice.

Are we allowed to write things down on a notecard/bring the info in from the 2 mins into the MMI station or no?

Last year they didn’t have the patient based group interview and none of the other schools I interviewed at last year did anything similar so unfortunately I don’t have any advice for that one.

Also I’ve never been allowed to bring any sort of notes into an MMI so I would assume that even with any changes from last years interview structure, it would still be a no on the notecard for NSU.

Thank you! This is great. I'll be sure to practice with different questions. Hopefully this hurricane won't delay the interview!