2018-2019 Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I know everyone here is saying that the interview is relaxed and a casual conversation. I thought the same going into my interview early September. Yet when I interviewed, I did not get that impression. In fact, I got a "good cop bad cop interview". One woman cut me off, rushed me, and applied pressure. The other smiled, made eye contact with me, and encouraged me to continue. This really threw me off, and that is the reason why I am making this post. I share this not to scare us neurotic pre-meds, but to say it is okay if this happens. Just know your application, know yourself, BELIEVE in yourself. Interview spots are a precious resource for schools, and they are genuinely interested in meeting you if they gave you a II.

I let this tactic throw me off my game, and although I felt I did not interview very well (I was a bit shaken up from being interrupted and cut off) I was accepted. I am a pretty average candidate. Just smile and remember that if you are interviewing this early on in the cycle, the cards are in your favor. Good luck to everyone applying and interviewing. This was my top DO school :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
So I know everyone here is saying that the interview is relaxed and a casual conversation. I thought the same going into my interview early September. Yet when I interviewed, I did not get that impression. In fact, I got a "good cop bad cop interview". One woman cut me off, rushed me, and applied pressure. The other smiled, made eye contact with me, and encouraged me to continue. This really threw me off, and that is the reason why I am making this post. I share this not to scare us neurotic pre-meds, but to say it is okay if this happens. Just know your application, know yourself, BELIEVE in yourself. Interview spots are a precious resource for schools, and they are genuinely interested in meeting you if they gave you a II.

I let this tactic throw me off my game, and although I felt I did not interview very well (I was a bit shaken up from being interrupted and cut off) I was accepted. I am a pretty average candidate. Just smile and remember that if you are interviewing this early on in the cycle, the cards are in your favor. Good luck to everyone applying and interviewing. This was my top DO school :)

What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Also, congrats!

Does anyone know how long the decision takes after receiving the "pending candidate" letter?

Members don't see this ad :)

I had the same experience and didn’t feel good about the interview after because it made me a bit uncomfortable but I smiled through it and tried my best and
I was accepted as well! So just don’t let that throw you off entirely. :)

M1 here
For the interviewees what are some of your thoughts on the school.
Did they talk about the curriculum or what did they highlight about the school?

Anyone who has been accepted/has interviewed and would attend if accepted, which campus would you choose? I can't really think of any Pros of the new clearwater campus especially if most of the rotations are centered near the main campus.

Anyone who has been accepted/has interviewed and would attend if accepted, which campus would you choose? I can't really think of any Pros of the new clearwater campus especially if most of the rotations are centered near the main campus.
Has the new campus been officially added as a option yet?

They said that there would be multiple clinical rotation sites that have been secured near the Clearwater campus. However, I was recently accepted and definitely would lean towards going to the Ft Lauderdale location just because the faculty and program are established there. It didn't seem that there was really any drawing aspect of the Clearwater campus unless you want to be in Clearwater/Tampa area as a strong regional preference (maybe close to family, etc.)

Reactions: 1 user
Has the new campus been officially added as a option yet?
They told us at the interview that they are pretty certain that it will be an option for the incoming class in 2019, but may not officially be established until February

II today at 5 AM HST!!! I'll be interviewing on Nov 1

Stats: 3.8, 506, tons of volunteer, shadowing, patient exposure, leadership, research, published author in ochem. I am OOS but my grandparents have been living in florida my entire life (so loose ties)

II about 11 AM today!
3.82 507 big ECs
I live/ grew up 10 minutes from Nova.

Reactions: 1 users
II today at 5 AM HST!!! I'll be interviewing on Nov 1

Stats: 3.8, 506, tons of volunteer, shadowing, patient exposure, leadership, research, published author in ochem. I am OOS but my grandparents have been living in florida my entire life (so loose ties)

II about 11 AM today!
3.82 507 big ECs
I live/ grew up 10 minutes from Nova.

Did either of you get the pending candidate letter prior to II?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did either of you get the pending candidate letter prior to II?

No I get like 4 phone calls asking me to submit my 4th LOR. (1-2 per week) and once I sent it in the next call was a file complete. One week later I got the II.

I also have FAU, DMU, and AZCOM. I am seriously considering Nova over DMU and AZCOM because I live here and I would like my family to see my newborn grow up. Strong support system here as well. My mother can handle the little guy for free, and the wife is already a teacher for the county. $$$$$

Reactions: 2 users
No I get like 4 phone calls asking me to submit my 4th LOR. (1-2 per week) and once I sent it in the next call was a file complete. One week later I got the II.

I also have FAU, DMU, and AZCOM. I am seriously considering Nova over DMU and AZCOM because I live here and I would like my family to see my newborn grow up. Strong support system here as well. My mother can handle the little guy for free, and the wife is already a teacher for the county. $$$$$
Thanks for the response! What exactly did you mean by them calling you to submit your LOR? You sent it to them directly lol? How would they know that you had a LOR that you hadn't submitted yet?

I also live in the area and turned down interviews to DMU and CCOM after getting accepted here. It will be pretty nice to save money on food and rent!

I also had a similar experience but got an acceptance!

II Received yesterday morning (October 9th). Secondary app complete late August.

II today through email. There is hope!
sGPA ~3.5, cGPA 3.62, 503 MCAT
I submitted my secondary a while back but they kept calling about one letter of rec that finally got submitted and they called me to tell me I was complete and ready for review on 9/18.

I submitted my secondary a while back but they kept calling about one letter of rec that finally got submitted and they called me to tell me I was complete and ready for review on 9/18.

did you ever get the pending candidate letter?

Has anyone who received the pending candidate letter gotten an II? Also for those of you who are updating your ECs via email, any clue if they request the updates in essay format?

Must be nice not to get yield protected.

Yield protected?
Some schools will refrain from extending interviews to applicants with significantly higher stats than their average since they believe that the interview slot will be wasted, the student is more likely to go to a higher ranked program/MD school.

Some schools will refrain from extending interviews to applicants with significantly higher stats than their average since they believe that the interview slot will be wasted, the student is more likely to go to a higher ranked program/MD school.
Ohh I see.. thanks!

Has anyone who received the pending candidate letter gotten an II? Also for those of you who are updating your ECs via email, any clue if they request the updates in essay format?

I got the pending candidate 9/26 got an II on 10/9. OOS

NICE, stats? Also have you sent them an update since the letter?

MCAT: 505 cGPA: 3.97 sGPA: 3.84, Lots of shadowing/ medical volunteer work, leadership positions, 3+ years of research. I never sent them any updates to my application. I just received the II, and I'm interviewing 11/1.

Must be nice not to get yield protected.

I am not too sure that applies. For the majority of the people that apply to this school and have received II or acceptance have average GPA and MCAT well over their average and enough to compete in any Florida MD program.

I am not too sure that applies. For the majority of the people that apply to this school and have received II or acceptance have average GPA and MCAT well over their average and enough to compete in any Florida MD program.
Definitely agree with you on that, not sure why the other user thought it was the case.

Definitely agree with you on that, not sure why the other user thought it was the case.
They may be well above the average but not as high as my stats. I can assure you that NOVA yield protects.

They may be well above the average but not as high as my stats. I can assure you that NOVA yield protects.
I was accepted from Nova from one of their first interview dates, and from my conversations with other students, some had multiple interviews with Top 50 MD schools, which means that they are taking talented students. Unless you are talking about yield protection for those who are competitive at like Top 20 MD schools, but in that case, how many people are competitive for top 20 MD programs but also apply DO?

I was accepted from Nova from one of their first interview dates, and from my conversations with other students, some had multiple interviews with Top 50 MD schools, which means that they are taking talented students. Unless you are talking about yield protection for those who are competitive at like Top 20 MD schools, but in that case, how many people are competitive for top 20 MD programs but also apply DO?
Who applies? People who wanna keep as many options open as possible. Point is that applicants of that caliber do in fact exist in the DO system and they are getting screwed. Politics play a much larger role than people would like to admit.

Yeah dude, my stats are higher than yours and I interviewed at their first date and was accepted last month. DO schools dont yield protect, their $1000+ non-refundable deposits are their yield protection.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Who applies? People who wanna keep as many options open as possible. Point is that applicants of that caliber do in fact exist in the DO system and they are getting screwed. Politics play a much larger role than people would like to admit.

Maybe you're just an arrogant prick and thats why they didn't interview you. I have an interview at a top 30 MD school and got an interview here as an ORM with pretty decent stats. Your essay for this school probably read "this is my backup but you are still going to accept me because of my stats."

Reactions: 5 users
Maybe you're just an arrogant prick and thats why they didn't interview you. I have an interview at a top 30 MD school and got an interview here as an ORM with pretty decent stats. Your essay for this school probably read "this is my backup but you are still going to accept me because of my stats."
Maybe, but that would only beg the question as to why WesternCOMP thinks I'm qualified enough to get an interview on one of the first interview days. So I doubt it. Funny how when you state facts people get so offended. Whether you think I'm a prick or not is not gonna change the fact that my stats are better then 90% of all DO applicant. And before you get your panties up in a bunch with that comment just know that that fact comes from real data from AACOMAS, not just straight out of my ass.

Yeah dude, my stats are higher than yours and I interviewed at their first date and was accepted last month. DO schools dont yield protect, their $1000+ non-refundable deposits are their yield protection.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile
This response speaks volumes as to your understanding of why exactly schools dont want to be throwing acceptances left and right.

Maybe, but that would only beg the question as to why WesternCOMP thinks I'm qualified enough to get an interview on one of the first interview days. So I doubt it. Funny how when you state facts people get so offended. Whether you think I'm a prick or not is not gonna change the fact that my stats are better then 90% of all DO applicant. And before you get your panties up in a bunch with that comment just know that that fact comes from real data from AACOMAS, not just straight out of my ass.

You came to an illogical conclusion that you were yield protected because of your stats. It’s not your stats. 3.65 undergrad, 4.0 grad, 515 first attempt mcat here. Who you are and why u want to study medicine is just as important. Also, I’m pretty sure what offended everyone is that you claimed “everyone that applied may be well above the average, but not as high as your stats.” Lol when in fact people have higher

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Why do you feel entitled to American medical school interviews when you aren't even American? Be thankful for what you get or if you wanna throw a hissy fit stay in Canada(But let me guess your stats aren't good enough for Canada are they?). What you are doing right now is being resentful because you think you are better than a population of applicants and you are resentful because your stats aren't good enough to only apply MD and not worry about going DO. Your solution is to put DO applicants down but theres a whole subsection of SDN that has much better stats then you and can humble you real quick. Here's my solution, sit down, be thankful for what you get, if you don't like it do something about it but don't bitch on a DO applicant thread about it.

Why do you feel entitled to American medical school interviews when you aren't even American? Be thankful for what you get or if you wanna throw a hissy fit stay in Canada(But let me guess your stats aren't good enough for Canada are they?). What you are doing right now is being resentful because you think you are better than a population of applicants and you are resentful because your stats aren't good enough to only apply MD and not worry about going DO. Your solution is to put DO applicants down but theres a whole subsection of SDN that has much better stats then you and can humble you real quick. Here's my solution, sit down, be thankful for what you get, if you don't like it do something about it but don't bitch on a DO applicant thread about it.
Not sure why you're personally offended of my claim that this school yield protect and the fact that my stats are better than the vast majority of the applicant pool. I've got an acceptance. I'm just stating my opinion on this school. When one is qualified enough to note only get an interview but an acceptance at other schools it really begs the question as to why other schools aren't offering interviews. My conclusion is yield protection. End of story

You came to an illogical conclusion that you were yield protected because of your stats. It’s not your stats. 3.65 undergrad, 4.0 grad, 515 first attempt mcat here. Who you are and why u want to study medicine is just as important. Also, I’m pretty sure what offended everyone is that you claimed “everyone that applied may be well above the average, but not as high as your stats.” Lol when in fact people have higher

Not sure why you're personally offended of my claim that this school yield protect and the fact that my stats are better than the vast majority of the applicant pool. I've got an acceptance. I'm just stating my opinion on this school. When one is qualified enough to note only get an interview but an acceptance at other schools it really begs the question as to why other schools aren't offering interviews. My conclusion is yield protection. End of story

Maybe I've misstepped and I apologize for that but I just don't understand why you can't believe that stats are not the only reason you may not have gotten an interview. Why couldn't the school have just not liked your secondary answers? Also adcoms are human and sometimes they honestly pick random apps for interviews when there's too many apps(I was at a graduate school fair and one told me this her self). Seriously I applied to 25 MD schools and 2 DO schools as backup and haven't heard back from the other one. I'm not yelling "yield protect **** them", admittedly I kind of half assed the secondary. Either way good luck in the rest of your cycle.

Or maybe it's the fact that you're Canadian, which Nova only saves ~5% of the class for. So, you're competing for ~10 spots with other well qualified Canadians. I assure you, Nova did not yield protect against you. Compared to people I know who have interviewed here in previous years, your stats are not as impressive as you think.