2018-2019 Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I dont think you get to pick though... my email said fort lauderdale campus clearly.
Yeah I think you're right, my acceptance email said the Ft. Lauderdale campus too. I mean if push comes to shove you can always trade right? They didn't really say to much regarding rotation sites for the Clearwater campus. I imagine they're isolated to that particular region as well?

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my secondary 09/08. This was followed by a confirmation call that the admissions team was reviewing my app several days later. However, I haven’t heard anything at all since September ( when what I am reading from the thread is several weeks to 2 months review before a II decision).

Anyone else not heard anything that applied during this time?

I submitted my secondary 09/08. This was followed by a confirmation call that the admissions team was reviewing my app several days later. However, I haven’t heard anything at all since September ( when what I am reading from the thread is several weeks to 2 months review before a II decision).

Anyone else not heard anything that applied during this time?
+1

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I think you're right, my acceptance email said the Ft. Lauderdale campus too. I mean if push comes to shove you can always trade right? They didn't really say to much regarding rotation sites for the Clearwater campus. I imagine they're isolated to that particular region as well?

Rotations isolated the the area would be in a perfect world. Even main campus has to have there students move for rotation sometimes. It is more likely that they try an establish as many seats as they can and students move as needed

Does anyone know if we get accepted, do we also have to send in the form ("intent to enroll") and essentially thus that binds me to the school, or can I later withdraw my acceptance, if I were to get another acceptance I wanted over nova?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if we get accepted, do we also have to send in the form ("intent to enroll") and essentially thus that binds me to the school, or can I later withdraw my acceptance, if I were to get another acceptance I wanted over nova?
It's not binding. You can always withdraw later.

Hey guys,

I have a few questions about the interview. (January 8th)
1) Is there anything critical I should know going into it?
2) Those who are accepted/attending: what specific recommendations do you have about preparing for the II.
3) Should I shave my beard?

I’ve heard the just be yourself and know your app but my paranoid self is looking for a bit more.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 2 users
Also for those who are attending/ will be attending. What aspects about the school made you choose to attend and what were your trepidations?

Just received an email 30 minutes ago - I'M GONNA BE A DOCTOR!!!!

Edit: Interviewed 11/08

Reactions: 10 users
Also for those who are attending/ will be attending. What aspects about the school made you choose to attend and what were your trepidations?

The facilities were new, clean, and inviting. I interviewed at Michigan state university and western in Pomona and thought their facilities were extremely outdated. MSU’s program was literally in the basement of an old dorm building and everything was just old. NSU has a great vibe to it. Everyone seems happy, which was an important factor in my decision. The environment that I learn in plays a huge role in my emotional well-being and success at a university. I make a lot of my decisions based on intuition, and my gut told me that NSU was the best fit for me. You gotta consider your lifestyle as well. I’m from Hawaii so the Florida lifestyle fits me well, I know I’d be happy there. Education wise, I liked the rotation sites. I also liked that they offered plastic surgery and derm as elective (I really wanna dabble in these specialties and the other schools didn’t offer these electives). I wanna do ED and one of the rotation sites they offer has one of the best ED departments in the state. They also have tons of opportunities to do mission trips which I really want to get involved in. This school just got a $8 million donation, so they have MONEY. If I’ve learned something in life, go where the money is because they’ll have the funds to take really good care of you lol. But ya overall everyone was super friendly and happy. Just good vibes. Long message whoops

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone send me the facebook link for NOVA class of 2023? Excited to meet my class

Reactions: 4 users
The facilities were new, clean, and inviting. I interviewed at Michigan state university and western in Pomona and thought their facilities were extremely outdated. MSU’s program was literally in the basement of an old dorm building and everything was just old. NSU has a great vibe to it. Everyone seems happy, which was an important factor in my decision. The environment that I learn in plays a huge role in my emotional well-being and success at a university. I make a lot of my decisions based on intuition, and my gut told me that NSU was the best fit for me. You gotta consider your lifestyle as well. I’m from Hawaii so the Florida lifestyle fits me well, I know I’d be happy there. Education wise, I liked the rotation sites. I also liked that they offered plastic surgery and derm as elective (I really wanna dabble in these specialties and the other schools didn’t offer these electives). I wanna do ED and one of the rotation sites they offer has one of the best ED departments in the state. They also have tons of opportunities to do mission trips which I really want to get involved in. This school just got a $8 million donation, so they have MONEY. If I’ve learned something in life, go where the money is because they’ll have the funds to take really good care of you lol. But ya overall everyone was super friendly and happy. Just good vibes. Long message whoops
Thank you so much for your input, did you talk about the elective rotations in your interview as I know they have a heavy interest in primary care.

I got this vibe too during my interview, I not sure if is the admissions counselor or student ambassadors but they definitely make you feel at home.

Reactions: 1 users
Got a call in September that they will be reviewing my application and haven't heard anything yet....Is this a silent reject? :(

Aside from what everyone else said, I really loved the fact that they offer variety, they have some research (can be limited, but its there), if you end up wanting to do a MS, they offer 3 I think. They also offer some fellowships. The only thing that was worrying me was that last semester there was some students who did not match, but I mentioned it somewhere and it looked like it might've been an outlier. However, it did worry me, but I found that nova compared to other places is the best location if you want to get involved, because Miami and Broward offer a lot of hospitals and places, as compared to some smaller schools.

But yeah, I think seeing a lot of the students happy and enjoying their time there seemed good, because I personally want to make sure I'm not miserable for 4 years.

My mentor, an anesthesiologist, and currently the medical director of one of the biggest hospitals here in Texas, was an alumni. He said success in medical school totally depends on you, and as a graduate he attests that NOVA will give you one of the best medical education if you know how to make the most of it. The school has trained him to become a very well-grounded physician. He is heavily involved in the community, excellent advocate for the minority, has multiple published researches under his name, and many doctors from elite medical schools such as Yale or John Hopkin come to the hospital to learn from him.....heck..... he is even in charge of hiring and firing MD doctors. He credited most of his success to NOVA.

This is the main reason why I choose NOVA. I was accepted to UIWSOM (in-state) and KCU. However, I believe NOVA has the resources and opportunities to help me become a well-grounded doctor in many aspects, which will benefit my career in the long run. KCU made it a hard choice but I know I will be happier and more successful at NOVA

With that being said, I really want the access to the facebook link for the class of 2023. I am excited to meet all the people that will be conquering medical school with me for the next 4 years

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Can somebody send me the class link as well please? Also my acceptance email does not say a campus at all? Accepted on 9/6, where does it say your campus?

Can somebody send me the class link as well please? Also my acceptance email does not say a campus at all? Accepted on 9/6, where does it say your campus?
Mine didn't either. Try checking the deposit link. When I paid my first deposit it asked me which campus I preferred.

Mine didn't either. Try checking the deposit link. When I paid my first deposit it asked me which campus I preferred.
Right, when I paid my deposit I put the main campus, do you think that secured a spot there?

I put main campus, and it looks like no one has made the facebook page yet

I put main campus, and it looks like no one has made the facebook page yet
What was up with all the choices? I was low key tripped up by that and was tempted to choose the Miami campus. There I was surprised that there was even a campus in Miami lol

What was up with all the choices? I was low key tripped up by that and was tempted to choose the Miami campus. There I was surprised that there was even a campus in Miami lol
Ik, it got me staring at the screen for a second, I even googled up Ft. Myers, which is one of the options, to make sure it is not Ft. Lauderdale lol. I went with main campus since they have only one established campus right now.

Thank you so much for your input, did you talk about the elective rotations in your interview as I know they have a heavy interest in primary care.

I knew this going into my interview but I didn’t want to lie (the interview drifted in a direction where they asked what I wanted to specialize in). I was honest and said ED, but that I wanted to work in a rural area because I grew up in a very rural town where the closest ED was 40 min away so I have a passion for practicing in these areas based on my experiences. They really seemed to like that answer because NSU has a big emphasis on rural care.

Ik, it got me staring at the screen for a second, I even googled up Ft. Myers, which is one of the options, to make sure it is not Ft. Lauderdale lol. I went with main campus since they have only one established campus right now.
Do they have a pre-clinical option for Fort Myers? I knew there was an option to do rotations in Fort Myers but is it now possible to knock out all 4 years there? I interview here in January and a large chunk of my immediate/close family is all in the Ft. Myers/Cape Coral area.

Do they have a pre-clinical option for Fort Myers? I knew there was an option to do rotations in Fort Myers but is it now possible to knock out all 4 years there? I interview here in January and a large chunk of my immediate/close family is all in the Ft. Myers/Cape Coral area.
This is definitely something you can ask about at the interview as they would know the answer. I was also astounded to see so many locations available when I paid my deposit but like the other poster I just went with the main campus since that is what my acceptance email indicated. In my case, the Miami location is calling my name lol

Honestly I have no idea, I don't even know such area exists lol

I dont think you get to pick though... my email said fort lauderdale campus clearly.

I got to pick the campus when I paid for the deposit. It gives you the option before you pay.

Withdrew my acceptance... GL everyone!

This is definitely something you can ask about at the interview as they would know the answer. I was also astounded to see so many locations available when I paid my deposit but like the other poster I just went with the main campus since that is what my acceptance email indicated. In my case, the Miami location is calling my name lol

Honestly I have no idea, I don't even know such area exists lol

I think the dropdowns are just all of their available graduate campuses, which means not all of them are pre-clinical/DO. AFAIK the only 2 DO campuses are the main one and the future Clearwater campus (the current Tampa campus is moving to Clearwater), so I would choose between those two on the deposit form.

At my interview, the admissions team spoke pretty definitively about the existence of the Clearwater campus for Fall 2019, but they seemed to dance around the topic of how we would select/preference it. The vibe I got was that there would be a more formal way to designate our campus choice once Clearwater is 100% official (which they seemed to imply would be springtime), and the date on which our full deposit was submitted would factor into campus selection (whenever it occurs). But if you wanted to attend the Clearwater campus, I think it would probably be a good idea to preference "Tampa" on the deposit.

So I wouldn't be surprised if they send out another email in the Spring about officially selecting a campus (with preference based on the date full deposit was submitted), but that's just the vibe I got.

Reactions: 2 users
I asked once on here already but has anyone applied here with an AACOMAS fee waiver? I had to pay the $50 secondary fee initially with the reassurance that it would be refunded within 60 days post-interview. I interviewed at the end of August and have been in contact with the admissions office and bursar's office multiple times and still no refund... pretty frustrating especially when considering that all other schools I applied to just waived the fee from the start.

I asked once on here already but has anyone applied here with an AACOMAS fee waiver? I had to pay the $50 secondary fee initially with the reassurance that it would be refunded within 60 days post-interview. I interviewed at the end of August and have been in contact with the admissions office and bursar's office multiple times and still no refund... pretty frustrating especially when considering that all other schools I applied to just waived the fee from the start.
I believe there are certain requirements to receive fee waiver. I received the email from the school for the fee waiver after the II but didn't look into it. Did you fill out the fee waiver form from AACOMAS?

I believe there are certain requirements to receive fee waiver. I received the email from the school for the fee waiver after the II but didn't look into it. Did you fill out the fee waiver form from AACOMAS?
Yep! I received the fee waiver from AACOMAS and filled out Nova's request for fee waiver form they emailed us after applying. The admissions office told me they've submitted the required paperwork to the bursar's office but the bursar's office said that's not true and I should contact admissions again. Then admissions stopped responding to my emails. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yep! I received the fee waiver from AACOMAS and filled out Nova's request for fee waiver form they emailed us after applying. The admissions office told me they've submitted the required paperwork to the bursar's office but the bursar's office said that's not true and I should contact admissions again. Then admissions stopped responding to my emails. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Damn, let me fill out the waiver tonight too and let's see what happen

Just got an email about choosing a campus- they attached a form which allows those of us who have payed the deposit to choose a campus and email back the form.

I have no idea what the pro/cons of each campus would be and I'd like any/all thoughts on each campus, Davie and Clearwater

Just got an email about choosing a campus- they attached a form which allows those of us who have payed the deposit to choose a campus and email back the form.

I have no idea what the pro/cons of each campus would be and I'd like any/all thoughts on each campus, Davie and Clearwater
did you already pay the full $2000?

There is two due dates. One for the first payment of 1250 and another for 750 so I think you are ok.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Yeah I know, I just wanted to choose my campus quickly. I was wondering though, is the second deposit binding, or can I withdraw after I've payed the full 2000

Yeah I know, I just wanted to choose my campus quickly. I was wondering though, is the second deposit binding, or can I withdraw after I've payed the full 2000
Yeah. That was something I wasn't clear about so I also only paid my first deposit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

what happens if you don't pay that money is your seat revoked?