2018-2019 Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It’s still just a free-standing ER right now. It’s in the works to be built into a hospital in partnership between NSU and HCA. As far as I know it will have some of the MD students rotating there once it opens.

Will DO students rotate there or no?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone that has been accepted at NSUCOM have been admitted to matriculate at the Clearwater campus?
they will not let us know where we endes up until later this month. you pay yor full deposite and then make your preference. it seems from what I have seen a lot of people picking davie over cw. i chose cw so lets see how that goes

Reactions: 1 user
does anyone know how the interviews are conducted? 1 on 1? group? also, what is "practical experience" on the agenda they give you for the interview?
I think practical experience is the OMM demo they do. You kind of just sit and watch, nothing major.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will DO students rotate there or no?

I don’t have any insider info, and sites can fluctuate year to year. I’m just going off the fact that it’s listed on the MD website only. Also it’s going to be ~200 beds and currently doesn’t have any residencies (although that could change and again I don’t have insider info) so I wouldn’t want it over the core clinical site I got anyway.

Withdrawing my interview, hope it goes to one of you lovely people!

I don’t have any insider info, and sites can fluctuate year to year. I’m just going off the fact that it’s listed on the MD website only. Also it’s going to be ~200 beds and currently doesn’t have any residencies (although that could change and again I don’t have insider info) so I wouldn’t want it over the core clinical site I got anyway.
Hah that could also just be because no one updated the DO website :smack:

The ones from alumni do you also apply for them through the scholarship page? Thanks for the info!
They normally send out class emails when the applications are out. Some require you to have interest in a specific specialty or from a specific location as well.

not open yet my friend. being built

It’s still just a free-standing ER right now. It’s in the works to be built into a hospital in partnership between NSU and HCA. As far as I know it will have some of the MD students rotating there once it opens.

Read some news article from 2017 that the teaching hospital would be for students from both schools. I saw on Nova’s site they listed a bunch of rotation sites. Is there a main hospital or two in Ft. Lauderdale for rotations?

Read some news article from 2017 that the teaching hospital would be for students from both schools. I saw on Nova’s site they listed a bunch of rotation sites. Is there a main hospital or two in Ft. Lauderdale for rotations?
Our main 2 sites are the county public hospitals. Memorial and Broward General

Our main 2 sites are the county public hospitals. Memorial and Broward General

How popular are the ones besides memorial and broward General?

Attachments

• F9DF3165-AA18-45EE-A098-5ACA09A8EEB6.png
    F9DF3165-AA18-45EE-A098-5ACA09A8EEB6.png
    213.3 KB · Views: 87
How popular are the ones besides memorial and broward General?

Broward is our biggest site. >20% of the class goes there. All the sites have varying degrees of interest year to year, depending on your class. Where people are from, where they want to be, where their family or SO are, what specialties they’re interested in, what type of setting they want to train in, their tolerance for moving, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know when the 2019 term start date is? Can’t seem to find it on the site...

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when the 2019 term start date is? Can’t seem to find it on the site...
it is the last week of July sometime. I have been told 2 different dates from the administration but both are around that time. We should find out for sure in the coming months.

Hey everyone who is accepted and prefers the Clearwater campus, I have made a Clearwater side group. please request the add so we can get information about the area going to those who need it.

It’s mostly 2 on 1 interviews although I know some people only had one interviewer. They’re are about 15 minutes long. Not entirely sure what you mean by practical experience?

How many 2 on 1 interviews are there?

Interview invite yesterday! Three dates available in March (21, 28).
Does anyone know If NOVA is actively accepting students at this time or I am interviewing for waitlist?

Where/which type (not color, i know its ceil blue..but I mean pocketed, etc) of scrubs is everyone buying?
This will be my first time buying scrubs, so I want to know which brands or stores carry the best quality scrubs.

Where/which type (not color, i know its ceil blue..but I mean pocketed, etc) of scrubs is everyone buying?
This will be my first time buying scrubs, so I want to know which brands or stores carry the best quality scrubs.

Most of them usually come with pockets. As for brands, they’re all about the same price. I found some good ones on amazon for cheaper than I’ve seen in most stores so I’m probably gonna get some from there

Any current M1s left that wanna give us some tips on finding housing?

Look at Figs for the “boujee” scrubs. Otherwise if you do not care usually people buy different kinds of brands.

Reactions: 2 users
Look at Figs for the “boujee” scrubs. Otherwise if you do not care usually people buy different kinds of brands.
charokee infinity are pretty nice as well. especially if you are rocking a dad bod like me

I recommend investing in higher quality scrubs because you’ll be using it for a couple of years and it should be able to withstand all that stress and washing. I bought FIGS and I absolutely love them. I feel like I’m walking around in PJs. The issue with cheap scrubs is that the material becomes rough and uncomfortable through time.

People I know live in Sundance, AMLI Toscana, Parc 3400, One plantation, palm trace, elan 33 west, rolling hills, courtyards, and Centro to name a couple.

Here’s a link to the NSU housing page to find a roommate/housing option:
Nova Southeastern Univ - Roommate/Housing Finder

I wouldn't recommend Centro. Currently live there and it's a s**t show literally.
The new management company doesn't care at all about basic maintenance.
There are multiple buildings with sewage problems with a lot of it leaking out into the lawn or lake. I'm surprised no one reported them to the county yet.

I wouldn't recommend Centro. Currently live there and it's a s**t show literally.
The new management company doesn't care at all about basic maintenance.
There are multiple buildings with sewage problems with a lot of it leaking out into the lawn or lake. I'm surprised no one reported them to the county yet.
Actually now that I remember, one of my friend’s that live in Centro had his apartment flooded by sewage through his toilet where sewer water backed up out of his toilet and into his hallway and kitchen. It took management a while to actually fix it. Sad because I think Centro used to be a great place.

I have an interview on March 21. Anyone attending interview on the same day, feel free to send me a message. Would love to split up cab/rent + room expenses with someone

Total cost of attendance for the DO program with break down to room and board, health insurance, tuition and fees, etc? Other schools have a table showing this, maybe someone have something like that from interview or admission packet?

Maximum unsubsidized loan available?

How long do they take to answer after interview?

Total cost of attendance for the DO program with break down to room and board, health insurance, tuition and fees, etc? Other schools have a table showing this, maybe someone have something like that from interview or admission packet?

They told us the committee meets at the beginning of every month, then takes a week to get their decision and sends it to the dean. Also, they didnt go over financial options or tuition costs with us.

Cost is on the main site or look at the nsu do student guide on the accepted students page

I’m in state (I think it’s ~$6-8k less than out of state per year) and I’m paying about $56k for total cost of attendance (tuition, food, and gas) minus living expenses. My tuition itself Is ~$50k/yr for instate. Living expenses will depend where you live since it varies here whether you live alone or live with 1-3 other people. I pay about $1000 in rent and utilities per month (I live with 3 other people) so my total cost of attendance per year is about $68k/yr. NSU pretty much requires you only to have an IPAD for the curriculum so you don’t have to worry about purchasing textbooks. I also cook all my meals and budget tightly.

so I was denied from this school, but I called them to get a stats overlook for next year's class and it was quite low. cGPAs of 3.3-3.6, MCAT of about 504. Good news is that the admissions director is very responsive to calls, so if you were denied but also fall into these stats as well, he would be able to tell you what on your app turned them off.

Kind of bummed since I was hoping for that in-state help, but it's whatever.

so I was denied from this school, but I called them to get a stats overlook for next year's class and it was quite low. cGPAs of 3.3-3.6, MCAT of about 504. Good news is that the admissions director is very responsive to calls, so if you were denied but also fall into these stats as well, he would be able to tell you what on your app turned them off.

What did your extracurriculars look like?

How did you find out they denied you? Was it snail mail or email?

What number did you call? I tried to call sometimes but no luck!

Did you guys get a confirmation email when you sent in your campus preference?

Hey guys! Interview on the 21st. Excited to have heard back from this school as it was my first choice. Does anyone know if there are spots left for the class? Or are they just wait-listing people?

Does anyone know if there is any merit based scholarship opportunities? or any scholarship awards that can be applied to at all?

Not sure if this is the right place for this but is anyone interviewing for the postbacc program on the Clearwater campus?

Does anyone know if there is a group for accepted students on Facebook?