2018-2019 Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At my interview date they told us everything at both campuses would be 50/50. So half of the lectures will be taught in person at one campus and live streamed (holographic streamed bc they spent a **** ton on new technology) to the other campus. And vice versa. This also means that since Clearwater doesn’t have their own cadavers (they’re using a local hospital’s I think), that dissections are no longer required, but everyone has the option to do them.

As of now they said that all students will be entered into the same lottery for 3rd year rotations. Ofc i think this requires more rotation sites/seats in general so I’m sure that’ll be something they work on in the coming years.

When they say holographic do they mean like a holographed Professor????? That would be pretty dope actually lol

Members don't see this ad.

Been going through their page on the new campus. Could the additional 150 students making up the incoming 1st class there be the reason for interviews extending into April?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have a low-ish Financial Aid Award? Mine doesn’t even cover the full tuition...(given that I am not financially capable to contribute anything on my own)..

Also does anyone know when we can start applying for Grad plus loans for the 2019-2020 year? Looks like the application is still open for 2018-2019 on their website.

On the acceptance letter it said that all Davie seats were full :/

Do you mean you were accepted at Davie and the seats are full after you? or is there no seats left and they put you at the Clearwater campus? Also did you get a letter in the mail or through email?

To answer all of the above, yes somehow the professor teaching on one campus will be holographed to the other campus. And like any class that’s been live streamed you’ll have the ability to ask questions bc they’ll be able to see you, etc. etc.

My interview day was mid March so not that long ago, but they meet at the end of each month which is why there was such quick turn around.

As of now we’re accepted to Clearwater.

interviewed march 14th, just received an alternate list in the mail. I really thought i nailed this one

At my interview date they told us everything at both campuses would be 50/50. So half of the lectures will be taught in person at one campus and live streamed (holographic streamed bc they spent a **** ton on new technology) to the other campus. And vice versa. This also means that since Clearwater doesn’t have their own cadavers (they’re using a local hospital’s I think), that dissections are no longer required, but everyone has the option to do them.

As of now they said that all students will be entered into the same lottery for 3rd year rotations. Ofc i think this requires more rotation sites/seats in general so I’m sure that’ll be something they work on in the coming years.
They didn't mention during my interview about not having cadavers in Clearwater campus. So does it mean we would have to go to the hospital for anatomy lab?

They didn't mention during my interview about not having cadavers in Clearwater campus. So does it mean we would have to go to the hospital for anatomy lab?

Yes i think that’s what they said. They also said dissections are optional

Yes i think that’s what they said. They also said dissections are optional
Sorry I am not sure how it works. When people talk about dissections it means cutting right? We would still have anatomy lab with exams where we identify structures on pre-dissected cadavers?

Sorry I am not sure how it works. When people talk about dissections it means cutting right? We would still have anatomy lab with exams where we identify structures on pre-dissected cadavers?

Hmmm. I’m honestly not sure. I assume we would have that. However, from what my understanding is is that there’s always a mandatory portion of anatomy dedicated to students dissecting cadavers (prior to exams/practicals) that is now completely optional.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know if financial aid is a thing here in terms of scholarships?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have a low-ish Financial Aid Award? Mine doesn’t even cover the full tuition...(given that I am not financially capable to contribute anything on my own)..

Also does anyone know when we can start applying for Grad plus loans for the 2019-2020 year? Looks like the application is still open for 2018-2019 on their website.

Plus loans open in general for everyone in April. You have to fill out the grad plus loan and you will get the rest needed to cover full cost of attendance.

Anyone know if financial aid is a thing here in terms of scholarships?

There are scholarships of various amounts that they email us about constantly throughout the year. Usually they have certain criteria, and it might be $1000/$5000. So basically you probably won’t get any upfront in your financial aid package, it’s going to just be federal loans. However there are small scholarships available. It’s not like MD schools that have huge endowments and routinely give tens of thousands/full rides to incoming students. If that’s what you’re expecting then forget it.

Hi, can anyone who has already interviewed share how long your interview was and with how many people (2 on 1 or 3 on 1)?

-Thank you

Hi, can anyone who has already interviewed share how long your interview was and with how many people (2 on 1 or 3 on 1)?

-Thank you

the interviews are 15-20 minutes long and can be either with one or two people. They were pretty chill over all, theyll ask you the typical questions, why medicine, why DO, why Nova etc. And they offer you cookies before the interview :)

the interviews are 15-20 minutes long and can be either with one or two people. They were pretty chill over all, theyll ask you the typical questions, why medicine, why DO, why Nova etc. And they offer you cookies before the interview :)
I previously had interviews that were 40 minutes (2 on 1) to an hour (MMI). 15-20 minutes is pretty quick! Not much time beyond the 3 questions, I reckon? My 40 minute interview had 5-6 questions.

yea they watch you.in the waiting rooms as well. i noticed like 4 or 5 cameras there.

just be natural and really take in the other amazing people you get to meet and possibly be classmates with.

I previously had interviews that were 40 minutes (2 on 1) to an hour (MMI). 15-20 minutes is pretty quick! Not much time beyond the 3 questions, I reckon? My 40 minute interview had 5-6 questions.

Its cause honestly its really conversational. I was asked I think 6-8 questions but it was a really comfortable atmosphere and my interviewers were really nice. Just be yourself, know your application well and also dont be afraid to pour yourself a cup of water lol.

There are scholarships of various amounts that they email us about constantly throughout the year. Usually they have certain criteria, and it might be $1000/$5000. So basically you probably won’t get any upfront in your financial aid package, it’s going to just be federal loans. However there are small scholarships available. It’s not like MD schools that have huge endowments and routinely give tens of thousands/full rides to incoming students. If that’s what you’re expecting then forget it.

Alrighty. When soon after acceptance do the financial aid packets come?

already did so you should get them soon. grad plus open in april

-Thank you

I felt as tho my interview was so short and conversational that we barely covered anything distinguishing about myself as an applicant. Definitely know why medicine/why DO/why NOVA (don’t try to recount your entire personal statement bc I’ve heard they hate that). Be straight to the point.

If I’m speaking candidly, they have to accept an extra 150 students to fill their other campus right? My guess is that if you’re invited to interview you have a huuuge chance of getting accepted this year relative to other schools. Just be confident, smile at all times, converse with fellow interviewees, NEVER REACH FOR YOUR PHONE!!!, and ask every NOVA admin who speaks to y’all questions. Be genuinely interested and present throughout the day, even if it’s a long day and you’re getting drained towards the end

I felt as tho my interview was so short and conversational that we barely covered anything distinguishing about myself as an applicant. Definitely know why medicine/why DO/why NOVA (don’t try to recount your entire personal statement bc I’ve heard they hate that). Be straight to the point.

If I’m speaking candidly, they have to accept an extra 150 students to fill their other campus right? My guess is that if you’re invited to interview you have a huuuge chance of getting accepted this year relative to other schools. Just be confident, smile at all times, converse with fellow interviewees, NEVER REACH FOR YOUR PHONE!!!, and ask every NOVA admin who speaks to y’all questions. Be genuinely interested and present throughout the day, even if it’s a long day and you’re getting drained towards the end

Thank you so much for your feedback :) interview is this week! I know it's late in the cycle so I was a bit scared to get my hopes up but it's reassuring to hear about their second campus which means they will be giving out a lot more acceptances.

yea they watch you.in the waiting rooms as well. i noticed like 4 or 5 cameras there.

Wow i didn’t even notice the cameras. I just thought the admissions guy was really good at eavesdropping/remembering our voices/names

Does anyone know if there is a similar "no holding more than 1 acceptance after a specific date" type of thing for DO schools? I know there is something like that for MD schools...just want to make sure

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone have any more insight into the Clearwater campus? Will this have the same "new med school" challenges as others that have recently opened (e.g. Nova's MD program)? Is there really no cadaver lab? Will the campus even be open by August!?!

I have a lot of questions that don't seem to have a good answer currently lol....

Got an email from the admissions counselor that even though seats in Davie are full, 150+ students will be accepted for Clearwater and NSU's continuing to interview for full acceptance into the DO program, not the waitlist. If you're interviewing in early April, expect to hear back in 4 weeks or less.

for those who haven’t heard anything at all, i was told by email that latest we’d get an update on app status is late march. I was complete in july and as of today have still not heard anything.

Does anyone know if there is a similar "no holding more than 1 acceptance after a specific date" type of thing for DO schools? I know there is something like that for MD schools...just want to make sure
I'd like to know about this too!

Anyone have any more insight into the Clearwater campus? Will this have the same "new med school" challenges as others that have recently opened (e.g. Nova's MD program)? Is there really no cadaver lab? Will the campus even be open by August!?!

I have a lot of questions that don't seem to have a good answer currently lol....
i was told there will be a cadaver lab but you can opt for digital only. deans words

Got an email from the admissions counselor that even though seats in Davie are full, 150+ students will be accepted for Clearwater and NSU's continuing to interview for full acceptance into the DO program, not the waitlist. If you're interviewing in early April, expect to hear back in 4 weeks or less.
what do you think the chances of getting off the waitlist into the davie campus will be?

Anyone interviewed on March 21st or later got their results already?

just to be clear, if i have no interest in taking out loans i should not fill out the fafsa?? like there are no other types of aid that i could receive from nova by filling it out

just to be clear, if i have no interest in taking out loans i should not fill out the fafsa?? like there are no other types of aid that i could receive from nova by filling it out
I thought you had to fill it out anways for med school. but other scholarships do use it in general.

clearwater campus facebook. see yall there!

what do you think the chances of getting off the waitlist into the davie campus will be?

I have the same question. Does anyone know when the first acceptances went out for this school? Maybe that can offer insight as to where we are on the waitlist/our chances of getting off the waitlist for Davie

My main concern at the Clearwater campus is being isolated. In the sense that opportunities/clubs/student orgs will probably have to be established for the first time and therefore take some time to gain traction/networking. Not sure if that’s a stupid thing on my list of priorities

Not a stupid thing because school will become our life, we need extracurricular activities. I was thinking that too. There’s no M2,3,4s either to look to for advice on the Tampa campus. They do a big/little thing at the Davie campus right now. So it’s almost like a charter class at a brand new school.

Exactly. And that’s something i am hesitant to sign up for. Coming from a small school for undergrad this was an issue i had to overcompensate for all of college

How much waitlist movement do schools generall have? I mean does generally 1/3 of a class leave the waitlist? More? Less?

I was wondering about the tuition too. At the interview, they said tuition is the same. However, the Clearwater campus does not have all the things the Davie campus has to offer like the gym, pools, libraries, using Novas other buildings. I dont think its fair..

Reactions: 1 users
I have been wait listed since mid November last year. Has anyone came off the wait list. if so when were you wait listed.

I was wondering about the tuition too. At the interview, they said tuition is the same. However, the Clearwater campus does not have all the things the Davie campus has to offer like the gym, pools, libraries, using Novas other buildings. I dont think its fair..

That’s a very good point.

Waitlisted for the Davies campus or waitlisted in general?

wait listed in general i guess. i went back look at my application. it says fort lauderdale campus (davie). Should i call or email them and let them i am willing to go to clearwater as well. anyone please

wait listed in general i guess. i went back look at my application. it says fort lauderdale campus (davie). Should i call or email them and let them i am willing to go to clearwater as well. anyone please
You can always send them a letter of intent