2018-2019 Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was wondering about the tuition too. At the interview, they said tuition is the same. However, the Clearwater campus does not have all the things the Davie campus has to offer like the gym, pools, libraries, using Novas other buildings. I dont think its fair..
they will have a gym and library.... they should have a pool too, if not there is a giant pool across the road

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have been wait listed since mid November last year. Has anyone came off the wait list. if so when were you wait listed.

I got waitlisted in mid November too, came off in early January. The timing seemed strange to me.

I just got an interview for the Florida campus. Will have to turn it down. Good luck to all!

I still really fail to see the hesitance to goto clear water. the place is freaking great and its cheaper to live than ft. lauterdale

Reactions: 4 users
I still really fail to see the hesitance to goto clear water. the place is freaking great and its cheaper to live than ft. lauterdale

Declining board scores, the match rate, and a new campus which is going to come with its challenges. Lack of upper classmen there, and more uncertainty about opportunities. Many haven’t viewed the campus either. It’s reasonable to be hesitant.

Still a good school though and it really seems like they’ll do a great job with it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Declining board scores, the match rate, and a new campus which is going to come with its challenges. Lack of upper classmen there, and more uncertainty about opportunities. Many haven’t viewed the campus either. It’s reasonable to be hesitant.

Still a good school though and it really seems like they’ll do a great job with it.
declining boards scores has been remedied, honestly I dont look at a schools board scores when I sent my apps out. I care more about residency placements. Board scores is individual studying and thats about it on that one unless the school focuses solely on high board scores but they usually put out crap doctors.

declining boards scores has been remedied, honestly I dont look at a schools board scores when I sent my apps out. I care more about residency placements. Board scores is individual studying and thats about it on that one unless the school focuses solely on high board scores but they usually put out crap doctors.
+1. On 2019's match list I see a match to a highly competitive EM residency from my state, which heavily favors in-staters and the program doesn't take a lot of DOs. Previous match lists have shown a handful of good matches from my state, which I look for and what matter to me. Gives me hope that it's possible to land a good spot if I want to match back home.

+1. On 2019's match list I see a match to a highly competitive EM residency from my state, which heavily favors in-staters and the program doesn't take a lot of DOs. Previous match lists have shown a handful of good matches from my state, which I look for and what matter to me. Gives me hope that it's possible to land a good spot if I want to match back home.

Can you post a link to 2019's Match list please?

It won't be a brand new school starting from scratch, but an extension of the established program, so I'm not too worried. I do share your concerns about being relatively isolated, being part of an inaugural class without close upperclassmen support, and how student organizations and networking can be established. (I'll have to ask about that). And I think @sunshinefl said earlier that some faculty are moving over to the new campus. As for opportunities: during the campus tour, it was stated that research and OMM fellowships will be at Clearwater in addition to the main campus, and that Clearwater will mirror the amenities and facilities of the main campus (gym, library, cadaver lab, nearby apartments, etc.). Clearwater students will enter the same lottery as Davie students for rotation sites. I'm not too worried about opportunities (or lack of). Between the two, I'd feel better coming here than a new new school.

Last edited:
Regarding Placement: 28 TRIs is bothersome.
yea that is a bit lol, but I also dont plan on being in the lower percentile or going for a super competitive field. plan and what happenes we will see.... hahahaha

Those declining COMLEX passing rates really make me worried, b/c it looks like a trend. And it looks like others have been talking about this at length and they also seemed concerned. Also, I don't see the 2017-2018 passing rates... (does anyone know what it is?)

I personally want to go to NSU, but it'll be a leap of faith that they are actually resolving the underlying issues as opposed to just requiring students to pass the practice COMLEX exam (NBOME) or increasing the GPA & MCAT requirements. Some people mentioned that it might be due to the school requiring courses that don't help for the board (e.g. medical Spanish), or unnecessarily difficult courses so students don't have enough time to study for the board?

And as nice as it might be to be in a brand new campus, not having upperclassmen around to build relationships, would be a huge disadvantage.

It won't be a brand new school starting from scratch, but an extension of the established program, so I'm not too worried. I do share your concerns about being relatively isolated, being part of an inaugural class without close upperclassmen support, and how student organizations and networking can be established. (I'll have to ask about that). And I think @sunshinefl said earlier that some faculty are moving over to the new campus. As for opportunities: during the campus tour, it was stated that research and OMM fellowships will be at Clearwater in addition to the main campus, and that Clearwater will mirror the amenities and facilities of the main campus (gym, library, cadaver lab, nearby apartments, etc.). Clearwater students will enter the same lottery as Davie students for rotation sites. I'm not too worried about opportunities (or lack of). Between the two, I'd feel better coming here than a new new school.

Yes, some of our established faculty has personally told me they are moving over to the new campus. It seems like faculty will be fairly even between the 2.

Those declining COMLEX passing rates really make me worried, b/c it looks like a trend. And it looks like others have been talking about this at length and they also seemed concerned. Also, I don't see the 2017-2018 passing rates... (does anyone know what it is?)

I personally want to go to NSU, but it'll be a leap of faith that they are actually resolving the underlying issues as opposed to just requiring students to pass the practice COMLEX exam (NBOME) or increasing the GPA & MCAT requirements. Some people mentioned that it might be due to the school requiring courses that don't help for the board (e.g. medical Spanish), or unnecessarily difficult courses so students don't have enough time to study for the board?

And as nice as it might be to be in a brand new campus, not having upperclassmen around to build relationships, would be a huge disadvantage.

Honestly the majority of what I need answered by upperclassmen can be (and is!) conducted via Facebook post/excel spreadsheet/etc.

Plus, at the very least you will have the 3 OPP fellows that you see all the time if you have burning student to student questions. In addition, there are upperclassmen rotating very near by.

Regarding Placement: 28 TRIs is bothersome.

Some (but not all) of these have advanced placements that begin at PGY2. I count ~19 PGY2 matches, against 5 prelim IM+3 prelim surgery+28 TRI/TY—>17 people with only PGY1. You have to remember that some of that is people who are trying for super competitive specialties/locations and would rather try for an advanced position again than take a spot in a different specialty/location. Study hard, work hard, apply smart/wide/realistic, rank every program that interviews you.

Any current student willing to share how the daily schedule looks like at Nova? You guys have weekly exams, right? It seems stressful, but I'd love to hear from you. Thank you in advance.

Guys for those of you accepted, how long did it take to hear back after interviewing? It’s just that I’ve a deposit at a different school due soon, but I’m hoping I get to hear from nova before then

Guys for those of you accepted, how long did it take to hear back after interviewing? It’s just that I’ve a deposit at a different school due soon, but I’m hoping I get to hear from nova before then
For me it was 2 weeks. However, YMMV...

Any current student willing to share how the daily schedule looks like at Nova? You guys have weekly exams, right? It seems stressful, but I'd love to hear from you. Thank you in advance.

I’m too far removed from first year to remember (I’m finishing M2)... but in 2nd year, each semester is basically divided into 2 parts, so 4 blocks total. Each block has 1 integrated midterm exam, and 1 finals week. As far as class, we have mandatory labs on Tuesday afternoons, and lectures you have to attend a certain percent of on Tuesday mornings and Friday mornings.

Edited to clarify there are other classes throughout the week that you can attend or cover at your leisure.

I’m too far removed from first year to remember (I’m finishing M2)... but in 2nd year, each semester is basically divided into 2 parts, so 4 blocks total. Each block has 1 integrated midterm exam, and 1 finals week. As far as class, we have mandatory labs on Tuesday afternoons, and lectures you have to attend a certain percent of on Tuesday mornings and Friday mornings.

Edited to clarify there are other classes throughout the week that you can attend or cover at your leisure.

1st year is pretty much mandatory everyday right? At least part of the day?

At my interview day they said they meet once at the end of every month

For Clearwater campus specific group

for main group

Accepted! Interviewed 4/2 It was nice to hear back from them so fast.

Dang 4/2 group already got their decision? My 4/4 group was told that we'd hear back in late April or early May. Shoulda signed up for 4/2 lol.

Accepted, interviewed 3/21. Applied in February so I was happy to get in, I was originally planning to apply next cycle but decided to "yolo" it. Mcat was 509 and Gpa was 3.92 with moderate extracurriculars + 1 year scribing

nice welcome to the party! join the facebook groups listed here and see you in august!
Accepted, interviewed 3/21. Applied in February so I was happy to get in, I was originally planning to apply next cycle but decided to "yolo" it. Mcat was 509 and Gpa was 3.92 with moderate extracurriculars + 1 year scribing

Accepted today! Interviewed 3/21/19, LM~ 69 and IS.

Does anyone have an idea how research opportunities would work in the Clearwater area since we don’t have the Center for Collaborative Research?

Accepted today! Interviewed 3/21/19, LM~ 69 and IS.

Does anyone have an idea how research opportunities would work in the Clearwater area since we don’t have the Center for Collaborative Research?
you could always do research with the hosipital or USF. not sure what they have worked out but just give me my biochem lab and i can do my own **** hahaha

Hey all,

I have an interview here tomorrow. I was told by the admissions counselor that this was the last interview date, and it would be for admission into the Clearwater campus. (I apologize if this is upsetting news for some of you).

I was just wondering if any one else here was interviewing tomorrow and/or does anyone have any interview advice? I have my why medicine/why DO/why Nova answers down, but Is there any other advice that you guys have? Thank you guys in advance.

Hey all,

I have an interview here tomorrow. I was told by the admissions counselor that this was the last interview date, and it would be for admission into the Clearwater campus. (I apologize if this is upsetting news for some of you).

I was just wondering if any one else here was interviewing tomorrow and/or does anyone have any interview advice? I have my why medicine/why DO/why Nova answers down, but Is there any other advice that you guys have? Thank you guys in advance.
It’s like 15-20 minutes with 1-2 people. It’s super chill and easy going. They ask all of those questions and then just a few about your application. It’s really low stress so just be yourself and be genuine! The rest of the day is chill too you’re with some students so it’s laid back! They really just want to know you’re genuine about wanting to be a doctor. And remember it’s as much about how you like them as it is how they like you!