2018-2019 Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine

ZZ174

2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Accepted! Interviewed 4/2 It was nice to hear back from them so fast.

Sibir

eternally internally screaming
Sep 7, 2018
Dang 4/2 group already got their decision? My 4/4 group was told that we'd hear back in late April or early May. Shoulda signed up for 4/2 lol.

Reactions: mia2672
Apr 12, 2019
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Accepted, interviewed 3/21. Applied in February so I was happy to get in, I was originally planning to apply next cycle but decided to "yolo" it. Mcat was 509 and Gpa was 3.92 with moderate extracurriculars + 1 year scribing

Reactions: sunshinefl
Apr 8, 2018
Status
Medical Student
nice welcome to the party! join the facebook groups listed here and see you in august!
Accepted, interviewed 3/21. Applied in February so I was happy to get in, I was originally planning to apply next cycle but decided to "yolo" it. Mcat was 509 and Gpa was 3.92 with moderate extracurriculars + 1 year scribing

kmedhopeful95

2+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Accepted today! Interviewed 3/21/19, LM~ 69 and IS.

Does anyone have an idea how research opportunities would work in the Clearwater area since we don’t have the Center for Collaborative Research?

Apr 8, 2018
Status
Medical Student
Accepted today! Interviewed 3/21/19, LM~ 69 and IS.

Does anyone have an idea how research opportunities would work in the Clearwater area since we don’t have the Center for Collaborative Research?
you could always do research with the hosipital or USF. not sure what they have worked out but just give me my biochem lab and i can do my own **** hahaha

Reactions: kmedhopeful95

dtj333

2+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey all,

I have an interview here tomorrow. I was told by the admissions counselor that this was the last interview date, and it would be for admission into the Clearwater campus. (I apologize if this is upsetting news for some of you).

I was just wondering if any one else here was interviewing tomorrow and/or does anyone have any interview advice? I have my why medicine/why DO/why Nova answers down, but Is there any other advice that you guys have? Thank you guys in advance.

Reactions: UA13
Sep 26, 2018
Hey all,

I have an interview here tomorrow. I was told by the admissions counselor that this was the last interview date, and it would be for admission into the Clearwater campus. (I apologize if this is upsetting news for some of you).

I was just wondering if any one else here was interviewing tomorrow and/or does anyone have any interview advice? I have my why medicine/why DO/why Nova answers down, but Is there any other advice that you guys have? Thank you guys in advance.
It’s like 15-20 minutes with 1-2 people. It’s super chill and easy going. They ask all of those questions and then just a few about your application. It’s really low stress so just be yourself and be genuine! The rest of the day is chill too you’re with some students so it’s laid back! They really just want to know you’re genuine about wanting to be a doctor. And remember it’s as much about how you like them as it is how they like you!

Reactions: dtj333
Oct 21, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey all,

Do not use your phone. Do not touch your phone, do not check it nothing. Even if you think nobody is watching you, apparently they had cameras in the holding room which I’m sure they played back and could see.

One of their main concerns is if you’d be a good fit with other students/potential classmates. So during the round table introduction at the beginning don’t zone out, have visible enthusiastic reactions to your classmates’ fun facts. During breaks make conversation with literally anyone, you are only helping each other. Make sure to ask the student tour guides any relevant questions about their experience at the school.

Please, for the love of God, DONT USE YOUR PHONE. This was advice given to me by current students and I was shocked by how many umm.. interesting.. people would waste this opportunity to take a stupid posed Snapchat story of the apartment pool WHILE THE ADMISSIONS GUY WAS GIVING US A TOUR.

I had some more advice a couple pages back but that’s my main point.

Reactions: dtj333

qbo36

2+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Do not use your phone. Do not touch your phone, do not check it nothing. Even if you think nobody is watching you, apparently they had cameras in the holding room which I’m sure they played back and could see.

One of their main concerns is if you’d be a good fit with other students/potential classmates. So during the round table introduction at the beginning don’t zone out, have visible enthusiastic reactions to your classmates’ fun facts. During breaks make conversation with literally anyone, you are only helping each other. Make sure to ask the student tour guides any relevant questions about their experience at the school.

Please, for the love of God, DONT USE YOUR PHONE. This was advice given to me by current students and I was shocked by how many umm.. interesting.. people would waste this opportunity to take a stupid posed Snapchat story of the apartment pool WHILE THE ADMISSIONS GUY WAS GIVING US A TOUR.

I had some more advice a couple pages back but that’s my main point.
Lol relax man...thats definitely exaggerating it.

JSReed

7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2011
Status
Hey all,

In addition to the above, I'd say know your file pretty well. Know your biggest successes/setbacks and overall strengths/weaknesses. Also be prepared to talk about non-academic stuff and potentially hobbies (esp. if you can tie this into why you want to be a doc).

While I feel like qbo was a little extreme, I'd definitely shy away from pulling out your phone (just not good business sense unless its an actual emergency). They seem to like extroverts quite a bit (imo), so try to play that up if its in your wheelhouse.

Apr 12, 2019
Status
Hey all,

Most of the time spent in my ~10 minute interview was focused on extracurricular activities. They also asked me a lot about time management and study habits which I did not expect, but just answered honestly. Just do your best to have a positive demeanor throughout the day because it does seem like they judge you throughout the day, even during lunch and stuff. The student ambassadors made it a point to not act like a robot and you should be okay. I'm not to social, but I made an effort to converse with other interviewees as much as possible. I thought a full campus tour was a little unnecessary considering Clearwater was the only campus open lol

Apr 18, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
very community-involved activities, like volunteering with a mobile clinic and working with a student-run EMR unit. ECs were the strongest part of my app IMO
Did they tell you what it was about your app that they didn't like? My stats fall into their class profile range and I also have a ton of ECs but I still have not heard back.

Reactions: drsparrow

mdtobe27

2+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello all. I have been accepted to RVU-CO and NSU Clearwater. I am also waitlisted at KCU (top choice). I'm leaning in the direction of KCU (if accepted)>RVU > NSU. I really liked NSU, but RVU is close to home with cheaper tuition and I can live with my parents to save money. What are your thoughts on RVU vs NSU?

Jul 14, 2018
Hello all. I have been accepted to RVU-CO and NSU Clearwater. I am also waitlisted at KCU (top choice). I'm leaning in the direction of KCU (if accepted)>RVU > NSU. I really liked NSU, but RVU is close to home with cheaper tuition and I can live with my parents to save money. What are your thoughts on RVU vs NSU?
From your response it already seems like you made up your mind, so maybe RVU is your best option. Your seat will go to someone who lives close to NSU or has NSU as their top choice so it works out. Best of luck!

Reactions: MeG. and sunshinefl

Venom33

2+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Seems like RVU is where you want to be already, seems like it is a great school - might want to also change that username to DOtobe27

Sibir

Sep 7, 2018
I interviewed at RVU-CO, and I was impressed with their board-killing repeated-systems curriculum (which is also implemented at KCU and TCOM). You got 3 great schools to choose from, though with RVU's good board prep, and proximity to family and cheaper tuition, makes RVU a better fit for you imo.

mdtobe27

2+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I think what's making this hard is RVU is the smart choice, but at my interview it's just felt kinda meh. Whereas I liked NSU, but its obviously not the best financial decision. I like that NSU (from what I've heard) will be several buildings giving it more of a campus feel. I dont like that RVU is only one building with no gym and limited study space. NSU is also more established, though Clearwater is a brand new campus. Plus I've lived in colorado my whole life and am ready for a bit of an adventure. I'm just not sure if NSU is worth the cost. KCU is a good middle ground between the other 2, and it just felt right, but unfortunately I was waitlisted. Ugh idk what to do.

Last edited:

Sibir

Sep 7, 2018
Ultimately it boils down to your preferences, and what you want and would value most out of your time in med school. Do you want lots of resources and opportunities? Be in a good position to ace the boards? Solid rotation sites? Minimize your debt as much as possible? NSU has the edge on amenities and resources, while RVU has the edge on pre-clinical education and board performance, but you can't go wrong with either school. You're in a better position than me...I got no doors open and I'm gnawing on my nails waiting for NSU's post-interview decision. 0-0

hawaiigirl808

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2017
I received an interview to RVU-CO but declined it due to learning about how they did their rotations there. They can pretty much send you anywhere (usually extremely rural towns) and you need to scramble to find a place to live and all that jazz for just 4 weeks. At NSU, a lot of the rotation sites are more concentrated in the south florida area so you don't really have to worry about picking up your life and moving for each rotation (unless you get stuck in a tampa rotation but most are in the south florida area). This was a huge issue for me, as I value excellent rotation sites over good board scores. Board scores boil down to the individual; however, you have no control when it comes to rotation sites offered by a school. NSU has GREAT rotation sites. I would definitely advise you to look into that, board scores are often times inflated by schools. I also believe that NSU exposes you to more clinical experience and research. I have a friend who goes to RVU-CO and he said research there is possible, it's just hard to find. NSU is a huge university with a lot of research opportunities. But I guess that would only matter depending on what you're trying to specialize in. They are also HUGE on sending their students on mission trips abroad. These are just things that really mattered to me when choosing a school.

As for cost, in the end you'll be making bank as a doctor so it won't really matter. Medical school is expensive no matter what. Don't let cost shy you away from attending a school you love.

But my best advice to you is to follow your gut. I knew from the moment I stepped on campus at NSU that this was the school I wanted to attend, even after interviewing at MD schools. My gut told me this is where I belonged. If you're gut is telling you RVU-CO, listen to it.

Good luck and feel free to PM me with any questions!

Reactions: DOitright013

sunshinefl

All Gold Everything
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2014
The Swamp
Status
Medical Student
At NSU, a lot of the rotation sites are more concentrated in the south florida area so you don't really have to worry about picking up your life and moving for each rotation (unless you get stuck in a tampa rotation but most are in the south florida area).
You won’t “get stuck” in the Largo, Tampa, Orlando, etc rotations.... they are gone a lot higher in the lottery process. There are many people, myself included, who really want to be there and/or not here. Largo was my first choice and I was lucky and very happy to get it!

PS the person you are responding to specifically is accepted to the Clearwater campus, and thus not moving for rotations for them would mean Tampa/Largo.

hawaiigirl808

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2017
You won’t “get stuck” in the Largo, Tampa, Orlando, etc rotations.... they are gone a lot higher in the lottery process. There are many people, myself included, who really want to be there and/or not here. Largo was my first choice and I was lucky and very happy to get it!

PS the person you are responding to specifically is accepted to the Clearwater campus, and thus not moving for rotations for them would mean Tampa/Largo.
my bad, didn't notice the Clearwater comment! Long day

hawaiigirl808

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2017
At my interview, 3/28, the dean stated that there will be no pass/fail and that you will receive letter grades with %. It is to encourage students to do well.
what the heck I was totally told it was changing to p/f holy crap nsu doesn't know whats going on

vfern027

2+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2016
Status
Medical Student
what the heck I was totally told it was changing to p/f holy crap nsu doesn't know whats going on
Hmm they never said pass/fail at my interview and that was back in October. They said letter grades cause up to now all the students were getting was just a number.

sunshinefl

All Gold Everything
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2014
The Swamp
Status
Medical Student
Hmm they never said pass/fail at my interview and that was back in October. They said letter grades cause up to now all the students were getting was just a number.
I don’t know if for your class it’s changing, but we the 2nd years have number grades (for both years) and the 1st years have letter grades. I think when they changed to letter grades they just started it with their class to avoid us having a mixed transcript.

vfern027

2+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I don’t know if for your class it’s changing, but we the 2nd years have number grades (for both years) and the 1st years have letter grades. I think when they changed to letter grades they just started it with their class to avoid us having a mixed transcript.
Right. That’s what I remember the Dean said when I interviewed. No more number grades which I guess is good since you get a better idea of where you’re at? But I don’t know ‍

sunshinefl

All Gold Everything
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2014
The Swamp
Status
Medical Student
Right. That’s what I remember the Dean said when I interviewed. No more number grades which I guess is good since you get a better idea of where you’re at? But I don’t know ‍
Personally, I like having the numbers. That way if you “miss” an A by .1%, you get an 89, not a B which would be the same as if you had gotten 79.5. So I actually prefer our grading to the new grading you guys would have.

Reactions: hawaiigirl808