2018-2019 Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview invite, submitted secondary July.
Im sitting on two WL right now so hopefully all goes well.

I was shocked I even received an interview this late in the cycle. I just figured they never sent out final rejections or mine was lost.

Regardless, I’m grateful for the opportunity!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow I thought their last interview date was early April. I interviewed March 28th and currently on the waitlist...

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if NOVA recalculates GPA for grade replacement? I know this is last cycles thread but just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the IIs you guys, but I'm surprised that Nova is still interviewing. I thought their last date was April 16th!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if NOVA recalculates GPA for grade replacement? I know this is last cycles thread but just curious.
Nah, AACOM did away with grade replacement as of this cycle.

Nah, AACOM did away with grade replacement as of this cycle.
I know that but there are schools that still utilize it. I have emailed every DO school and have gotten multiple responses stating they recalculate the GPA and still utilize grade replacement. I was just curious if NOVA did because they havent returned my email yet.

So I just got invited to an interview here. I've already accepted an offer to CUSOM though. Any reason why I should give Nova a try over Campbell?
Nothing much than be ready to be wowed by how beautiful the school is and the vibe of the students at NOVA, the school is really impressive

Sent my LOI last night and got notification this morning that it'll be processed in 24 hours. Fingers crossed!

+1. Anyone have tips on sending a compelling letter of intent? This is the only school I haven't been rejected from, so I'm keen on getting off the waitlist if possible.
I was offered an interview right after I sent my LOI (accepted 2 weeks later and will be attending the Clearwater campus). My advice is to start off with all of the relevant volunteer work/shadowing/paid work you have been doing since you submitted your secondary application (1-2 paragraphs). Then write a paragraph or two about how it is your dream to attend Nova and why you are a good fit for the school (you want to practice in FL, you love rural medicine/underserved populations, how you admire the Patel family's philanthropy and would like to follow in their footsteps, etc). Hope this helps and good luck!!

I am torn between this school and VCOM-CC, anyone have any insight?
I went to an open house at VCOM-CC and will be attending NSU-KPCOM Clearwater, so I might be able to help! For VCOM-CC, their academics are obviously super strong, but I didn't like Spartanburg and the fact that the school is fairly young. Their rotation sites are also pretty spread out, which worried me a little. I ended up not applying because I felt like the school wasn't a perfect fit for me. However, my friend's mom works there and it's apparently a fantastic school. Their anatomy department is supposedly incredible. Also, the super cheap rent is a plus.

NSU-Clearwater was the only school I got into so I obviously accepted their offer, but I would've chosen to go there over VCOM anyways. The fact that the Clearwater campus is brand new is scary, for sure, but the dean was incredible and I think she is going to do everything in her power to make both campuses succeed. NSU's academics have taken a downturn, so that is also something to be concerned about, but I'm a Florida native and want to practice here so NSU is ultimately the best choice for me. Also, med school is seriously about the effort the students put in just as much as everything else, so I'm not too concerned about the academics. I also LOVED the admin staff at NSU. Felt like they don't take themselves too seriously and try to make things fun.

Hope this is kind of helpful!

I was offered an interview right after I sent my LOI (accepted 2 weeks later and will be attending the Clearwater campus). My advice is to start off with all of the relevant volunteer work/shadowing/paid work you have been doing since you submitted your secondary application (1-2 paragraphs). Then write a paragraph or two about how it is your dream to attend Nova and why you are a good fit for the school (you want to practice in FL, you love rural medicine/underserved populations, how you admire the Patel family's philanthropy and would like to follow in their footsteps, etc). Hope this helps and good luck!!
Good to hear that this school is likely receptive to LOI. I’ve have seen little to no luck with it at the other schools I am currently WL.

Good to hear that this school is likely receptive to LOI. I’ve have seen little to no luck with it at the other schools I am currently WL.
Yeah, same. Except FSU... I know quite a few people who sent LOIs and were almost instantly accepted. A close friend of mine sent them an app update and 2 hours later had an interview invite after radio silence for 5 months. So weird...

Honestly, I have no clue if my LOI was what tipped the scale at NSU or not, but it felt that way.

Yep, I made sure to include updated activities and why I think the school's a good fit! Now all I can do is wait and start applying for anesthesiologist assistant programs in case the physician route doesn't end up working out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to an open house at VCOM-CC and will be attending NSU-KPCOM Clearwater, so I might be able to help! For VCOM-CC, their academics are obviously super strong, but I didn't like Spartanburg and the fact that the school is fairly young. Their rotation sites are also pretty spread out, which worried me a little. I ended up not applying because I felt like the school wasn't a perfect fit for me. However, my friend's mom works there and it's apparently a fantastic school. Their anatomy department is supposedly incredible. Also, the super cheap rent is a plus.

NSU-Clearwater was the only school I got into so I obviously accepted their offer, but I would've chosen to go there over VCOM anyways. The fact that the Clearwater campus is brand new is scary, for sure, but the dean was incredible and I think she is going to do everything in her power to make both campuses succeed. NSU's academics have taken a downturn, so that is also something to be concerned about, but I'm a Florida native and want to practice here so NSU is ultimately the best choice for me. Also, med school is seriously about the effort the students put in just as much as everything else, so I'm not too concerned about the academics. I also LOVED the admin staff at NSU. Felt like they don't take themselves too seriously and try to make things fun.

Hope this is kind of helpful!
Thank you so much for the insight, I have thought about and decided NSU is better for me! Go sharks

For those who were accepted, how long did it take for them to send you the additional info. for immunizations and drugs test?

Sent my LOI last night and got notification this morning that it'll be processed in 24 hours. Fingers crossed!

Where/who did you submit it to? I’ve sent my LOI over a week ago but I’ve no notification of its reception.

For those who were accepted, how long did it take for them to send you the additional info. for immunizations and drugs test?
Accepted 03/29, paid deposit 04/03, immunization info sent 04/16... so 2 weeks from paying my deposit, pretty much.

I’ve heard some stuff about how academics here seem to be on the decline... Can anyone elaborate a little? They didn’t say anything about this on interview day(not that they would) but I recently got accepted and I want to make sure I’m making the right choice. I really like the school from what I saw but want to make sure the academics are solid, especially with this new Clearwater campus opening up im a little worried

I’ve heard some stuff about how academics here seem to be on the decline... Can anyone elaborate a little? They didn’t say anything about this on interview day(not that they would) but I recently got accepted and I want to make sure I’m making the right choice. I really like the school from what I saw but want to make sure the academics are solid, especially with this new Clearwater campus opening up im a little worried
From what I heard, NSU did not require students to pass practice COMLEX exams before sitting the actual exams, so students who were ill prepared took the exams and failed. They've changed this. Every student has to sit a practice exam and score above a 450 in order to take the exam (actual exam passing score is a 400, so they're hedging their bets that someone who scores a 450 on a practice exam should pull out a 400 on actual test day). Obviously, this doesn't mean the academics at NSU are strong, but it does give a reason for why NSU has lower scores than other osteo programs, as most osteo programs have had this practice exam requirement system in place for years.

When the dean spoke to us on interview day, she mentioned they're changing the curriculum around to address the issues they've had with low match numbers/COMLEX pass rates. This year they're switching to a systems-based curriculum with medical professionals teaching basic sciences instead of science PhDs. They're having doctors teach the basic sciences because they want the students to be able to discern what info is super important to know and what info isn't. At the end of the day, it's up to the individual student to supplement his/her learning outside of the classroom. I think that honestly, DO schools accept students with lower MCAT scores, which is indicative of the students' test taking abilities. DO students, on the whole, are at a disadvantage on test day, so it's up to each person to start preparing for boards from day one of OMS1.

im currently trying to decide between Western and NSU.. anyone have any advice or thoughts? Which school would you say is academically stronger, better match, etc? Currently soooo confused!!!

I'll be attending NSU Clearwater's Post-Bacc this fall and was wondering if anyone has any living recommendations or needs a roommate. Feel free to PM me!!!! :giggle:

(I'm female)

im currently trying to decide between Western and NSU.. anyone have any advice or thoughts? Which school would you say is academically stronger, better match, etc? Currently soooo confused!!!

I was accepted to both and chose nsu over western and here’s why:

1. Location. Pomona is in the middle of nowhere and kinda ghetto. The school doesn’t look very nice as well. Not a good vibe. Ft Lauderdale is poppin so you won’t feel stuck in the middle of nowhere (aka better mental state throughout Med school which is important) plus I’m super close to the beach and I surf a ton. Nsu is a beautiful School and super welcoming.

2. Facilities. All of the facilities (like the sim lab) were much newer and advanced at nsu compared to western. Nsu definitely has a lot more money and I’ve learned to always go where the money is.

3. Study abroad/mission trips. Nsu wants their students to serve in other countries. We have a TON of locations they send students to. Western hardly had any.

4. Rotation locations. Much better at NSU. Far more (great) hospitals in the surrounding area.

5. The students and staff. They seemed happier at nsu.

Ultimately it comes down to what you feel is best for you. What is your gut telling you? I knew from the minute I stepped on campus that I wanted to go to nsu. Just had an amazing vibe

I was accepted to both and chose nsu over western and here’s why:

1. Location. Pomona is in the middle of nowhere and kinda ghetto. The school doesn’t look very nice as well. Not a good vibe. Ft Lauderdale is poppin so you won’t feel stuck in the middle of nowhere (aka better mental state throughout Med school which is important) plus I’m super close to the beach and I surf a ton. Nsu is a beautiful School and super welcoming.

2. Facilities. All of the facilities (like the sim lab) were much newer and advanced at nsu compared to western. Nsu definitely has a lot more money and I’ve learned to always go where the money is.

3. Study abroad/mission trips. Nsu wants their students to serve in other countries. We have a TON of locations they send students to. Western hardly had any.

4. Rotation locations. Much better at NSU. Far more (great) hospitals in the surrounding area.

5. The students and staff. They seemed happier at nsu.

Ultimately it comes down to what you feel is best for you. What is your gut telling you? I knew from the minute I stepped on campus that I wanted to go to nsu. Just had an amazing vibe
I definitely liked the campus/location/facilities at NSU better but I was selected for the Tampa Bay campus so i’m a little concerned about that. I know everything is supposed to be the same but I’m worried about it being so new and the issues that can come with that... Academics/ match rates seem to be similar between the two though. I also don’t know much about the Tampa Bay/Clearwater area but it seems nice enough, probably not as poppin as Fort Lauderdale though

I definitely liked the campus/location/facilities at NSU better but I was selected for the Tampa Bay campus so i’m a little concerned about that. I know everything is supposed to be the same but I’m worried about it being so new and the issues that can come with that... Academics/ match rates seem to be similar between the two though. I also don’t know much about the Tampa Bay/Clearwater area but it seems nice enough, probably not as poppin as Fort Lauderdale though

Tampa is crazy fun. I live in central Florida and Tampa has some great things to do.

I was just in Clearwater not long ago to investigate/apartment hunt. Clearwater is a “poppin” area as is Tampa! I immediately selected Clearwater when I was accepted since it’d be more of a professional setting for academics and not so much overflowing with undergrads everyday. Obviously everyone is different but I think based on the time I spent in the area when I went and visited you might be pleasantly surprised with how much you like the area. Also I wouldn’t be concerned about academics - they aren’t just building this campus then shuffling 150 of us to fend for ourselves. You are still a KPCOM student and board scores will be collectively looked at from a student population standpoint and not separated in a negative light - its the same curriculum both campuses. Similar to how many other multi campus med schools ... you still get fed the same curriculum, similar opportunities, and get your @$$ kicked either place lol

Congrats on the IIs you guys, but I'm surprised that Nova is still interviewing. I thought their last date was April 16th!

Same! I was told their last interview date was April 16th. Wonder why they extended it and how that impacts the people on the wait list?

Has anyone sent LOIs and not got a confirmation? I hate to email and call them so much

Same! I was told their last interview date was April 16th. Wonder why they extended it and how that impacts the people on the wait list?
Just my speculation, but they're probably still trying to fill seats for Clearwater, and more April interviewees were waitlisted or rejected than accepted. If interviews aren't done, that probably delays waitlist movement. I hope I'm wrong about the last part, though. I would really like to see things moving in late May to mid June, after the May 15 deadline.

Withdraw my seat at the Clearwater campus! Hope one of y’all still waiting gets it. Good luck guys!

Withdraw my seat at the Clearwater campus! Hope one of y’all still waiting gets it. Good luck guys!
You are a wonderful person and I urge others who are sitting on multiple offers to follow your example. ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know where to find the info regarding how to do the background check and where to find the physical exam form?

Does anyone know where to find the info regarding how to do the background check and where to find the physical exam form?

They will send you a email to your Nova email. The immunization/physical form is available on their website. Make a doctor appointment as soon as you can to knock that out.

Hi I am unsure what campus to choose for NSU. Can someone let me know the pros and cons of going to either Clearwater or Nova

is this in reference to an acceptance you have just recieved or are you applying now?
Hi I am unsure what campus to choose for NSU. Can someone let me know the pros and cons of going to either Clearwater or Nova

@Gymnast97 Before you got accepted off the waitlist, did the school contact you through email or phone call, like a notice saying you're high on the waitlist and asking for reaffirmation of your interest? This happened occasionally during last year's cycle, and I'm not sure if the school's doing that again this year.

@Gymnast97 Before you got accepted off the waitlist, did the school contact you through email or phone call, like a notice saying you're high on the waitlist and asking for reaffirmation of your interest? This happened occasionally during last year's cycle, and I'm not sure if the school's doing that again this year.

No it didn’t happen to me, I literally just got the acceptance email out of nowhere. It was pretty early still after my interview (about a month after and about 2 weeks ish after my alternate letter) so they probably thought it wasn’t necessary.

No it didn’t happen to me, I literally just got the acceptance email out of nowhere. It was pretty early still after my interview (about a month after and about 2 weeks ish after my alternate letter) so they probably thought it wasn’t necessary.
That's good to know. I also got an alternate letter (apparently with NSU, there's a distinction between alternate list and waitlist). I look forward to an acceptance email coming as soon as possible and out of nowhere.

Sorry of all the questions y'all, but I got another one hahaha. For those who were accepted, on the Webstar besides the transcript, letters of rec, mcat, and deposit, does yours just say technical standards? I sent in all the forms but that's the only one listed as received.

That's good to know. I also got an alternate letter (apparently with NSU, there's a distinction between alternate list and waitlist). I look forward to an acceptance email coming as soon as possible and out of nowhere.

What's the difference between alternate list and wait list? I was under the impression they were the same based on what they said during the interview.

What's the difference between alternate list and wait list? I was under the impression they were the same based on what they said during the interview.
I used to think that, too. But according to the admissions counselor who told an applicant (who then informed me), the alternate list is the "first group that they refer to." The admissions counselor also said that being a candidate on the alternate list isn't the same as being waitlisted, and that those on the alternate list basically get "yes" on the final decision, but there's not enough space in either campus.

I used to think that, too. But according to the admissions counselor who told an applicant (who then informed me), the alternate list is the "first group that they refer to." The admissions counselor also said that being a candidate on the alternate list isn't the same as being waitlisted, and that those on the alternate list basically get "yes" on the final decision, but there's not enough space in either campus.

Okay, wow! Kinda confused now lol. So it's a good thing to be on the alternate list and the alternate list is not like being wait listed? What does the alternate list mean then if it's not a wait list? Did they mention how many people are currently on the alternate list?

According to their website though, they only have 3 options. Accept, non-accept, and alternate list? Do you mean it's like an accepted pending open seat and then they have the wait list? Acceptance Process | NSU Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Program

Last edited:
Okay, wow! Kinda confused now lol. So it's a good thing to be on the alternate list and the alternate list is not like being wait listed? What does the alternate list mean then if it's not a wait list? I haven't noticed anyone posting they were wait listed though, mainly just alternate list? Did they mention how many people are currently on the alternate list?

According to their website though, they only have 3 options. Accept, non-accept, and alternate list? Do you mean it's like an accepted pending open seat and then they have the wait list? Acceptance Process | NSU Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Program
Also kinda confused lol. My answer to those first two questions is a tentative yes. I guess alternate list is like accepted pending open seat, like you mentioned. When spots open up and the admissions committee looks back at the list to pull from, those on the alternate list would be the first they'll look at. Keep in mind that out of the applicant pool, a very small amount of people post on SDN. There could be waitlisted people we don't know about. No, I don't know how many are on the alternate list and haven't asked, though I'm definitely curious.

I'm inclined to think that while information on websites don't lie, not every piece of inside info that the admission committee knows is put up on there. The distinction between alternate list and waitlist might be an example. That'd be something you had to find out through further contact by email or phone call.

Also kinda confused lol. My answer to those first two questions is a tentative yes. I guess alternate list is like accepted pending open seat, like you mentioned. When spots open up and the admissions committee looks back at the list to pull from, those on the alternate list would be the first they'll look at. Keep in mind that out of the applicant pool, a very small amount of people post on SDN. There could be waitlisted people we don't know about. No, I don't know how many are on the alternate list and haven't asked, though I'm definitely curious.

I'm inclined to think that while information on websites don't lie, not every piece of inside info that the admission committee knows is put up on there. The distinction between alternate list and waitlist might be an example. That'd be something you had to find out through further contact by email or phone call.

Sounds promising though. Hopefully some good news comes our way soon!

Does anyone know if nova offers any kind of scholarship or “aid gifts” besides the one time application ones listed on their website? Or has anyone used other school scholarships as leverage at nova with success?

Does anyone know if nova offers any kind of scholarship or “aid gifts” besides the one time application ones listed on their website? Or has anyone used other school scholarships as leverage at nova with success?
no they dont, they help you apply to outside scholarships but the only internal ones they have are those listed.

For those of you who interviewed here, what were the questions like? How long was the interview day, anything in particular you guys would recommend to help prepare?