2018-2019 NYU School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
waitlisted or hold?
Wait, is there a difference wrt NYU? The specific language in the email I received said my app was “sent to the Committee on Admissions for review.”

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Wait, is there a difference wrt NYU? The specific language in the email I received said my app was “sent to the Committee on Admissions for review.”
I'm pretty sure if we're on hold we can still be accepted, waitlisted, or rejected

what does it mean “sent to the Committee on Admissions for review.”

Members don't see this ad :)

I received this same email and am unsure as to whether or not it is the same as waitlist/hold :/

R. Interviewed second week of October. Tried not to get my hopes up, but this one still hurts a ton. Best of luck to everyone still in the running!

It was quoted earlier, I believe, but here it is:

"Your application has been sent to the Committee on Admissions for review. Though we are unable to offer you an acceptance at this time, please rest assured that you are still being considered by the Admissions Committee. Your application is important to us and we appreciate your patience while our committee continues to review applicants on a regular basis. We will notify you immediately if you are accepted.

All final decisions will be out by the end of January. Please feel free to update the committee with any new information, you may do so by uploading your correspondence to the AMP portal."

Ah, I see. Thank you!

TBH it's kinda like a, "we told you we were gonna act on your application in this time frame, but actually we're not ready. So just hang tight."

That’s what I’m REALLY hoping. Good luck to you! Congrats to everyone who received an interview, regardless of the ultimate result!

Post interview hold, interviewed mid October
Mid-October? Do you mind sharing something a bit more specific? It can be through private message or not at all if you don't feel comfortable sharing. I'm just trying to guess when I'll hear back!

anyone else in the same boat as me? interviewed early-mid October and haven't heard anything...looks like I'll get the axe or hold soon though.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone going to get accepted here? I haven't interviewed yet (end of November), but I haven't heard of a single accept. Maybe they're waiting until January to do accept anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone going to get accepted here? I haven't interviewed yet (end of November), but I haven't heard of a single accept. Maybe they're waiting until January to do accept anyone?

I have a theory - they are worried that if they accept a lot of people, those people might go to a different school and use the acceptance as leverage to get merit money there instead. So they're probably taking their sweet time accepting people they think are very likely to matriculate, and that makes sense to me. Just a hypothesis of course.

Post II R today. Interviewed early October. Best of luck to everyone else in the running!

I have a theory - they are worried that if they accept a lot of people, those people might go to a different school and use the acceptance as leverage to get merit money there instead. So they're probably taking their sweet time accepting people they think are very likely to matriculate, and that makes sense to me. Just a hypothesis of course.

That does seem very likely, but NYU has offered full rides in past years as well, right? I'd still expect them to know what their yield rate might be just based on calculating the percentage of students who accepted their full-ride offers in past years. My guess is they're afraid of over-enrolling and we'll see a lot of waitlist movement in April/May!

That does seem very likely, but NYU has offered full rides in past years as well, right? I'd still expect them to know what their yield rate might be just based on calculating the percentage of students who accepted their full-ride offers in past years. My guess is they're afraid of over-enrolling and we'll see a lot of waitlist movement in April/May!
Not sure how influential of a factor this will be, but the yield rate may be different this year considering the recent sizable jump in ranking.

Someone who just interviewed here told me 20+ acceptances had been sent out already

Someone who just interviewed here told me 20+ acceptances had been sent out already
Sounds about right... I interviewed late October and they said there were 18 acceptances sent out already, so 20+ now sounds correct

lol I feel like the ratio of acceptances to holds is like 1:10 or 1:15

Just got a PRE-II hold. Complete 10/9

Last edited:
Rejected pre-II, completed 10/14/18 MCAT 521, GPA 3.6

Very disappointed

Rejected pre-II, completed 10/14/18 MCAT 521, GPA 3.6

Very disappointed
I know it hurts. Keep your head up. You are a quality candidate who will become a doctor and have a meaningful career.

Reactions: 7 users
I know it hurts. Keep your head up. You are a quality candidate who will become a doctor and have a meaningful career.
Appreciate the positivity amongst this sea of neuroticism

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if the traditional station of the MMI is open-file or closed file? It says "open-station" on the website, so I'm assuming it's open-file?

My interviewer during the traditional station admitted she never read my application so I’m assuming it’s closed-file
I believe it actually is open-file. I saw my Amcas open on the computer during mine. However, I felt as if my interview also hadn't read it. Maybe just skimmed through it.

I believe it actually is open-file. I saw my Amcas open on the computer during mine. However, I felt as if my interview also hadn't read it. Maybe just skimmed through it.
They don’t have time to read everyone’s app except maybe the first persons. They’re doing 9 of them and only have 2 minutes in between each applicant. Doesn’t make sense that they would be able to.

They told me its only open to any specific concerns the committee have about your app. Otherwise it's closed.

They don’t have time to read everyone’s app except maybe the first persons. They’re doing 9 of them and only have 2 minutes in between each applicant. Doesn’t make sense that they would be able to.
Yeah! Totally makes sense! I'm not bitter about it, I completely understand. I just wanted to try and provide more info for the question asked.

Was very pleasantly surprised to receive an interview invite on 11/7, complete 10/18 (statistics in my signature). My interview is scheduled for 12/11 and I couldn't be more excited.

For those who have interviewed already, do you have any tips or advice? This will be my first interview this season, and I am very anxious about the MMI format :(. I have also never been to NYC, so I am sure it will be an adventure just getting to admissions!

Was very pleasantly surprised to receive an interview invite on 11/7, complete 10/18 (statistics in my signature). My interview is scheduled for 12/11 and I couldn't be more excited.

For those who have interviewed already, do you have any tips or advice? This will be my first interview this season, and I am very anxious about the MMI format :(. I have also never been to NYC, so I am sure it will be an adventure just getting to admissions!
Relax and be yourself. They would not have invited you if you didn’t have what it takes. Good luck.

Relax and be yourself. They would not have invited you if you didn’t have what it takes. Good luck.
I agree with the above 100%! Even though it's an MMI, it's pretty relaxed, almost conversational. If you want to prep at all I would recommend just looking up practice prompts online and doing no more than 10. Focus on just creating a clearly defined, concise argument with 2-3 main talking points for each prompt and you'll be good to go.

As for travel, if you're unfamiliar with the area and not trying to ball out on uber rides, I recommend downloading a public transit navigation app (Citymapper worked great for me for NYC) and buying a metro card. Depending on where you fly into, you can get into campus from the airport in about an hour for $2.75 just using buses, trains, and a little bit of walking. You can also easily see any other NYC sites for cheap if you have some free time. During rush hour the subway will often be faster than uber/taxi anyway

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with the above 100%! Even though it's an MMI, it's pretty relaxed, almost conversational. If you want to prep at all I would recommend just looking up practice prompts online and doing no more than 10. Focus on just creating a clearly defined, concise argument with 2-3 main talking points for each prompt and you'll be good to go.

As for travel, if you're unfamiliar with the area and not trying to ball out on uber rides, I recommend downloading a public transit navigation app (Citymapper worked great for me for NYC) and buying a metro card. Depending on where you fly into, you can get into campus from the airport in about an hour for $2.75 just using buses, trains, and a little bit of walking. You can also easily see any other NYC sites for cheap if you have some free time. During rush hour the subway will often be faster than uber/taxi anyway

Thanks for the great advice! I had originally planned to rely on Uber/taxis, since the idea of navigating the public transport system on interview day worried me, but with something like Citymapper it seems more doable. It would definitely be helpful to save a little money on transportation.

Thanks for the great advice! I had originally planned to rely on Uber/taxis, since the idea of navigating the public transport system on interview day worried me, but with something like Citymapper it seems more doable. It would definitely be helpful to save a little money on transportation.
I was in the same boat. My interview was my first time in NYC, but I'm really glad I tried out the public transit as it not only saved a lot of money, but is a part of living in the city that's good to experience before deciding on a school. The app makes navigation very easy and I was very impressed with the metro system in general. Just fyi when you're figuring out how much money to put on your metro card, the fare for a local bus or to enter the subway system costs $2.75 but there are free transfers so you can transfer once between either within 2 hours of swiping and it won't charge you again. You also can transfer between trains for free at the same stop as long as you don't leave the system. If you need more money on your card you can add more at any metro station

You could end up spending over $100 on uber/taxis if you use it exclusively depending on where you're flying in to

Has anyone who received the pre-II hold email got off the hold yet? I know it's a long shot, but I can't help but wonder...o_O

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone w/ the pre-II hold sent an update letter? Is the update letter only for big/very notable updates such as publications, etc? I have a kind of cool new volunteer position, but I'm not sure that is worthy of an update.

Has anyone w/ the pre-II hold sent an update letter? Is the update letter only for big/very notable updates such as publications, etc? I have a kind of cool new volunteer position, but I'm not sure that is worthy of an update.
I sent one about a new research position where I'm putting together a manuscript and how I got a promotion at my teaching job. I don't think you have to have a new Nature paper to update.

anyone know if those of us on hold (either pre- or post-II) have a chance of getting rejected before final decisions come out in January? Acceptances/interviews will be notified immediately but will rejections or will we just have to wait?

Heyo! Longtime lurker here, but thought I would create an account to give back to the community after all the SDN advice/resources I've consumed over the months.

I interviewed late October and received my acceptance call this week!!

Reactions: 25 users
Heyo! Longtime lurker here, but thought I would create an account to give back to the community after all the SDN advice/resources I've consumed over the months.

I interviewed late October and received my acceptance call this week!!
Congrats! Do you have any advice for people who will interview at NYU soon?