2018-2019 NYU School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Sure thing! I'll number my responses to align with the questions. Apologies in advance for typos.

1) The majority of the preclinical curriculum is didactic, but every block has both small group seminars and case studies as well. The lectures are the primary means of conveying information, while the seminars and case studies are designed to consolidate and clarify information. For any given exam, I would say there are about 20-25 lectures, 4-6 seminars, and 1-2 case studies. Many of the lectures center around cases, though, so that helps give some clinical context to the lecture material (e.g., the lecture will start off with a case that exemplifies a disease, then the lecturer will go on to explain the pathophysiology of that disease). I think the 18-month curriculum is great. I definitely feel prepared for clinics from a knowledge perspective. And honestly, even if I didn't, I don't think another 4 months of lecture would change that, because you don't retain 100% of the preclinical material anyway (it takes seeing cases on clinics to really solidify the nitty-gritty details in your brain). The 18-month pre-clinical allows us to take step 1 after our core clerkships, so we have that case-based clinical experience that really gets everything to stick. That's why almost every school that has gone to an 18-month curriculum has seen their step 1 scores go up. The 18-month curriculum also gives us an extra 6 months after core clerkships to figure out what specialties we want to go into, which is super valuable for folks like me that are hoping that clerkships will help me decide what I want to do. We can use that time to do electives in specialties we're considering or to do away rotations at programs where we might want to apply for residency, so it's super useful — much more useful in my opinion than having an extra 4-5 months of preclinical lecture time.

2) NYU has a great relationship with community preceptors around the city. As first-years we're placed with a physician that we shadow 4-5 times over the course of the year, and many of them are not NYU faculty. Many of them are community practitioners that work around the city in a wide variety of specialties. My preceptor for that program was a non-NYU medical oncologist. So you definitely have opportunities to interface with community practitioners if that's something that's important to you.

3) I love living in NYC. And honestly I wasn't sure if I would like it at first. I did my freshman year of college in New York, and actually ended up transferring to a university in a smaller city because at 18 years-old I wasn't quite ready for NYC. So I was a little nervous coming back. But I am please to report that I absolutely love it now that I'm a little older. Everything is so convenient. You can get any type of food you want at any time of day or night, and there are always exciting things to do on free weekends. Because we have exams every two weeks on Fridays, every other weekend it TOTALLY free, so we can fully explore/enjoy the city. Medical school is busy, but pre-clinical really isn't that bad. Once you get into a rhythm and find an effective study strategy, it's easy to find time to do the things you like. Just last night I won the Aladdin lottery, so I got to go see Aladdin on Broadway for like $20 with my SO (and that's the fourth Broadway lottery we've won since I started med school, so I've actually gotten to see most of the popular shows). In terms of safety, Manhattan is extremely safe. It's actually America's safest large city in terms of crime statistics. There are always people walking around at all hours, so no matter when I'm out I've never felt unsafe.

4) I don't live in the dorms, because I live with me SO, and couples housing in the dorms is only for married couples. That being said, I've spent a lot of time in the dorms, so can tell you that the apartments are nice. They're by no means luxurious, but they are definitely a step up from most college dorms. Each student gets a good size room (can fit either a double or queen bed), and most apartments are 2-br shared between two students. For $1000/month it is an insanely good deal. Open market apartments in the same neighborhood aren't super expensive for Manhattan, but they can still up to $1800+ for a bedroom in a 2-br apartment. My SO gets subsidized housing from her hospital (she's a resident on the upper east side) and I live there, so I didn't do a traditional apartment search. But I know that others who live off-campus near school pay a good bit more for their apartments that those that live in the dorms. If you want exact off-campus figures, I'd just look at some realtor/renter websites in Murray Hill or Kips Bay (the two neighborhoods closest to school).

5) It is super easy to get involved with research — almost everyone I know has been involved in some form of research project over the past year and a half. Personally, I've been doing bioethics research with the Division of Medical Ethics. The department head came and gave a talk to us in October of last year, and I thought he seemed cool, so I emailed him and asked if he needed any research assistant help — and now we're working on our third paper together. That's not an uncommon story at all. We probably have 10-15 different lecturers per block, and they always put their emails at the end of their presentations and tell us to email them if we want to shadow or do research. Honestly, because the class size is small, there are probably more research opportunities than there are medical students. The concentration is just 12-ish weeks of required research your 4th year. It can pretty much be on anything. A lot of people just continue research in which they're already involved, but some people start totally new projects. You can also get funding to go abroad for your research, so I know folks that have gone to Thailand or Colombia for 12 weeks to study some aspect of their health care systems, which sounds like the perfect way to spend the winter between submitting residency apps and the match in March.

6) Yes. Yes. And Yes. The class is small, so everyone knows each other. It's a super collaborative environment. One of the benefits of a totally pass/fail preclinical curriculum is that everyone doing well is good for everyone — we have nothing to gain from our classmates not doing well. Even 1.5 years in, people still share all their study guides and online flashcard decks on our facebook group for everyone to use. Literally today 2 flashcard decks were uploaded by fellow classmates for our exam next week. We definitely feel as though we're all in this together (once we know that we are, we're all stars and we see that), so it is a very collaborative environment. We also hang out outside the classroom. Classmates are always going to concerts, shows, parks, restaurants, museums, etc., together. We throw birthday parties for each other. We go watch each other run the NYC marathon (3 of my classmates ran this year). Med school can be tough, but having such a collaborative, supportive group of classmates has made it a lot of fun.

--Shailin, MS2

This was so great, thank you for taking the time to give such thorough answers! I think this information definitely helped fill some gaps for me/put my mind at ease. With a little (a lot) of luck I may be in NYC in the fall! I wish you the best of luck with clerkships and hope you can find your niche :)

Reactions: 1 user
Feel like a jerk to even ask this, but does anyone know if NYU is giving additional scholarships to cover COL? I think I remember hearing 20-30% of admitted students would get it but that's hazy. Anyone know more?

Don't wanna be rude, cause the full-tuition is already so generous, just trying to figure out what options exist.

Feel like a jerk to even ask this, but does anyone know if NYU is giving additional scholarships to cover COL? I think I remember hearing 20-30% of admitted students would get it but that's hazy. Anyone know more?

Don't wanna be rude, cause the full-tuition is already so generous, just trying to figure out what options exist.
Yeah they have a good number of COA scholarships to give out according to Dean Rivera. If your accepted can you please share your stats/interview date?

That's a totally valid question, not rude haha but yes i heard on my interview day a similar number and pretty sure that was based on need though.

Yeah they have a good number of COA scholarships to give out according to Dean Rivera. If your accepted can you please share your stats/interview date?

LM 81-84, interviewed late sept-early oct, pm if u have any other q's!

HOLY **** GOT THE CALL TODAY!!! Was on the waitlist intially in mid November! On top of that, I got one of the Dean's Scholarship!!!! I literally collapsed on the floor at work!

Edit: I think I was deferred/put on hold initially not waitlisted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 users
HOLY **** GOT THE CALL TODAY!!! Was on the waitlist intially in mid November! On top of that, I got one of the Dean's Scholarship!!!! I literally collapsed on the floor at work!

Wow they're already pulling from the waitlist? Or do you mean you got deferred initially?

Congrats!!!! When did you interview??

Wow they're already pulling from the waitlist? Or do you mean you got deferred initially?
Sorry I'm not sure what the language is to use. I guess it's deferred. The email said they weren't offering me an acceptance at the moment but I was still being considered l.

Members don't see this ad :)
What does the post-interview "can't offer acceptance now but you're under continued review" email mean? Does it mean waitlist?

Put on continued review today, which is basically a rejection I’m figuring. Interviewed the first week of December.

What does the post-interview "can't offer acceptance now but you're under continued review" email mean? Does it mean waitlist?
It basically means put on hold, I think NYU is using these hold emails so they can be non-rolling even though they tell us they are rolling

Put on continued review today, which is basically a rejection I’m figuring. Interviewed the first week of December.
I was put on hold too after interviewing and thought it was a rejection too. It ain't over until they send an explicit rejection email.

Reactions: 4 users
Have any MSTP applicants heard anything post-interview? Interviewed in September and still no news...

Have any MSTP applicants heard anything post-interview? Interviewed in September and still no news...
I interviewed in the very beginning of October and also have not heard anything yet :nailbiting:

Is anyone who interviewed early/mid-November still waiting to hear something? I haven't gotten any sort of email and don't know what to make of it.

I interviewed early November and got an email saying i would hear back a final decision in February due to them not being able to evaluate everyone in time for December. Sounded like an unofficial deferral.

I interviewed early November and got an email saying i would hear back a final decision in February due to them not being able to evaluate everyone in time for December. Sounded like an unofficial deferral.
Hey, thanks for sharing! When did you get this email? And it was worded differently than the "hold/deferral" email that others have mentioned?

Hey, thanks for sharing! When did you get this email? And it was worded differently than the "hold/deferral" email that others have mentioned?

Probably the same email but here's the exact wording...

"Dear freedoctor17,

Thank you for taking the time to interview at NYU School of Medicine. As you know we are now operating on a rolling admissions cycle. Your application has been sent to the Committee on Admissions for review. Though we are unable to offer you an acceptance at this time, please rest assured that you are still being considered by the Admissions Committee. Your application is important to us and we appreciate your patience while our committee continues to review applicants on a regular basis. We will notify you immediately if you are accepted.

All final decisions will be out by the end of January. Please feel free to update the committee with any new information, you may do so by uploading your correspondence to the AMP portal.

Best,

Admissions Office"

Looks like i mixed up a few details though. Thought they mentioned something about the large amount of applicants but i guess not and it was january not February.

Probably the same email but here's the exact wording...

"Dear freedoctor17,

Thank you for taking the time to interview at NYU School of Medicine. As you know we are now operating on a rolling admissions cycle. Your application has been sent to the Committee on Admissions for review. Though we are unable to offer you an acceptance at this time, please rest assured that you are still being considered by the Admissions Committee. Your application is important to us and we appreciate your patience while our committee continues to review applicants on a regular basis. We will notify you immediately if you are accepted.

All final decisions will be out by the end of January. Please feel free to update the committee with any new information, you may do so by uploading your correspondence to the AMP portal.

Best,

Admissions Office"

Looks like i mixed up a few details though. Thought they mentioned something about the large amount of applicants but i guess not and it was january not February.
Thanks! Ahh yea, seems like a hold/deferral that could definitely turn into an acceptance though :) How soon after you interviewed did you get this email?

Thanks! Ahh yea, seems like a hold/deferral that could definitely turn into an acceptance though :) How soon after you interviewed did you get this email?

~3 weeks give or take a day or two after my interview day.

Does anyone think the Admissions Committee is receptive to letters of intent/interest? Has anyone sent one? Or do they just kind of expect everyone wants to go here lol

Does anyone think the Admissions Committee is receptive to letters of intent/interest? Has anyone sent one? Or do they just kind of expect everyone wants to go here lol
They told us at the interview that it was basically useless. They're going to have a crazy yield this year I think

They told us at the interview that it was basically useless. They're going to have a crazy yield this year I think

Probably true but I feel like a decent amount of the people who get accepted will have a full ride elsewhere as well making it not so easy a decision.

i feel like if you already have a scholarship elsewhere but still want to go here and make that clear in your LOI, it will carry a lot of weight.

They told us that they were expecting ~60% yield, which seems low but given how many other acceptances many of the students accepted here already have, could be plausible.

They told us that they were expecting ~60% yield, which seems low but given how many other acceptances many of the students accepted here already have, could be plausible.
60%? Sounds like they might be accepting 150+ people then!

Yes, but only 100 outright in the fall. As people drop, they will accept however many is needed. 60% was just a ballpark he gave, I remember being surprised at it being that low (though of course they don't really know, could be higher).

Are full rides really that common though? At most schools I interviewed at, even the ones with big endowments, merit aid seemed few and far between
Schools like Penn, Hopkins etc. don't give merit aid at all. When I went their reasoning was that "the applicants they interview are already best of the best so would not be fair to give merit aid." I may be wrong but definitely don't think it's common to give full rides.

Are full rides really that common though? At most schools I interviewed at, even the ones with big endowments, merit aid seemed few and far between
Depends on the school. Many also give need based scholarships

Penn gives some merit aid but nothing as generous as NYU. I agree that some schools, esp Harvard, seem to view your excessive loans as an “investment”
I saw that about Harvard. Lol, I think that's a little pretentious but then again it's HARVARD, so I guess they can get away with saying that. I don't like debt, so my goal was to minimize how much I take out in loans. Oh you know you maybe right about Penn.

Merit aid maybe but when you look at merit and need based I've seen a few that give them out. Vanderbilt, U chicago, columbia, my state school, wash u, mayo, UCLA are the ones i know of. I'm sure there are more.

Edit: And in terms of amount columbia gives anyone with financial need a full ride plus some living expenses. Mayo makes it very cheap for everyone and they said at least 30% of their class doesn't pay anything. With thay latest donation they got it might increase even more. Uchicago, vandy, and my state school only seem to give a few full rides but a decemt amount of 1/2 tuition as well. Ucla has great aid and like 30% get geffen full ride scholarships if i remember what iread right.

Merit aid maybe but when you look at merit and need based I've seen a few that give them out. Vanderbilt, U chicago, columbia, my state school, wash u, mayo, UCLA are the ones i know of. I'm sure there are more.

Edit: And in terms of amount columbia gives anyone with financial need a full ride plus some living expenses. Mayo makes it very cheap for everyone and they said at least 30% of their class doesn't pay anything. With thay latest donation they got it might increase even more. Uchicago, vandy, and my state school only seem to give a few full rides but a decemt amount of 1/2 tuition as well. Ucla has great aid and like 30% get geffen full ride scholarships if i remember what iread right.
And this list only includes top tier schools. Many lower ranked private and state schools give large scholarships to draw in really strong applicants. There ars usually only a few per school but it's the NYU-grade applicants who will be getting them. I imagine many people would take a full-COA scholarship at their state school over paying NYC cost of living at NYU

Reactions: 2 users
And this list only includes top tier schools. Many lower ranked private and state schools give large scholarships to draw in really strong applicants. There ars usually only a few per school but it's the NYU-grade applicants who will be getting them. I imagine many people would take a full-COA scholarship at their state school over paying NYC cost of living at NYU

Exactly that's why i mentioned my state school. Personally i would choose a full ride at any of the schools I mentioned (if given the option of course) over NYU just because of those living costs and the fact that it's in the middle of Manhattan.

Has anyone who interviewed mid-November or later been accepted here? It seems like people have been reporting holds but no acceptances.

Has anyone who interviewed mid-November or later been accepted here? It seems like people have been reporting holds but no acceptances.
I recall the dean saying that the majority of us were going to be put on hold

current student at nyu here: regarding COL it’s really not as bad as it could be - I’m spending about as much per month as I did as an undergrad. we get student housing which is about 1k a month. Most people are in 2 bed 1 bath apartments that are pretty spacious tbh. At the very least it’s a cheaper and bigger living space than I had in college. Of course food and stuff costs quite a bit here, but there’s a TJ’s nearby + amazon so if you plan things out right it’s not horribly expensive.

Reactions: 3 users
so have all the acceptances gone out already?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Considering they told everyone who got deferred we'd here back by the end of January then I'm guessing there's still some spots open?

Just got the call! (was previously under continued review). Accepted with the Dean's Scholarship as well. Life feels surreal right now. Best of luck to everyone in the process!

Reactions: 6 users