2018-2019 NYU School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Agree. A pub is a Big accomplishment. At a research oriented school like NYU it’s the kind of thing that makes a 10th percentile score competitive in addition to other factors. But a 504 is likely too low to make applying worth it
What about an abstract at an international conference? Was thinking of adding this school and have about 2000 hours of clinical research with an abstract (since its clinical the pubs will take a while) but 3.6/511 and LGBT which may be considered a URM here (but if not, there diversity and inclusion site is loaded with LGBT stuff so Im sure they are open to it anyways)

Members don't see this ad.

What about an abstract at an international conference? Was thinking of adding this school and have about 2000 hours of clinical research with an abstract (since its clinical the pubs will take a while) but 3.6/511 and LGBT which may be considered a URM here (but if not, there diversity and inclusion site is loaded with LGBT stuff so Im sure they are open to it anyways)

That's also very good, but again only you can determine whether or not adding a school is worth the 100-150$ it will cost to do so. I'm not saying there's no chance with your numbers, but there needs to be something in your app that will draw attention whether its a major accomplishment, overcoming a significant obstacle, etc. And the only person that knows your story is you. If you don't think that applies to you, buy yourself and a friend a nice dinner instead.

Reactions: 1 user
NYU needs to stop with these webinars emails! I’ve had about three heart attacks in the past 2 months because of this

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
NYU needs to stop with these webinars emails! I’ve had about three heart attacks in the past 2 months because of this
seriously i cannot handle all these aneurysms from false flag NYU emails!

Reactions: 1 users
anyone actually interview here yet? curious how stressful the mmi was

Just received an II! Decided to apply after hearing about their free tuition! Complete 8/21

Reactions: 3 users
II just now! LM 81, complete 8/22. Actually thought I was throwing my money away when I applied after the announcement; so glad my friends and family convinced me to try

Reactions: 5 users
First II!! LM 75, ORM, complete very late August so this was quite surprising in many respects. Bit of a relief to know there were no glaring red flags with my LORs though :)

Reactions: 3 users
First II!! LM 75, ORM, complete very late August so this was quite surprising in many respects. Bit of a relief to know there were no glaring red flags with my LORs though :)

Do you mind sharing the exact complete date?

Members don't see this ad :)
Could anyone share what the earliest available interview dates are? Dean Rivera said that interviews will last only until early December and it seems that NYU's interview season is going pretty fast.

m
Could anyone share what the earliest available interview dates are? Dean Rivera said that interviews will last only until early December and it seems that NYU's interview season is going pretty fast.
man. complete 8/1. Most people now are late august. Anyone else invited recently with a similar completion time? Wondering if earlier completes are passed over

Did anyone potentially take notes on the webinar for the 3-yr program?

Last edited:
The earliest date I saw was either November 13th or 14th.

II today!
The earliest dates I saw were mid-November.

anyone actually interview here yet? curious how stressful the mmi was
It wasn't bad at all. There was one guy who was kind of grumpy and really pressed you on certain issues, but my sense was that was his purpose. Everyone else said he was really grumpy with them too.

Also the place is freaking amazing. I can't imagine a cooler place to learn.

hey! to anyone who has interviewed here so far: i interviewed on tues and the dean said something about how to do thank you notes, but i don't remember what he said. does anyone know how we are supposed to send thank you note(s) since this was an mmi? don't wanna do the wrong thing since he specifically said how to do it, i just can't remember... :(

Hey @bill2018

I must've been in your interview group. I called today and they told me to just upload the note to the applicant portal.

They said it would go to the adcom in general but I forgot what you have to do with individual letters (which is probably not necessary).

To those who interviewed this week: Dean Rivera mentioned he'd be giving out calls early to mid October. Are schools allowed to notify applicants via phone before Oct 15? Or is all form of communication for acceptances prohibited before 10/15?

Hey @bill2018

I must've been in your interview group. I called today and they told me to just upload the note to the applicant portal.

They said it would go to the adcom in general but I forgot what you have to do with individual letters (which is probably not necessary).

Hmm. So are you writing individual letters too? Or just one general one to the adcom? I wasn't sure if writing individual ones (like to our interviewer at the traditional mmi station) is violating MMI confidentiality/anonymity or something

Last edited:
Hmm. So are you writing individual letters too? Or just one general one to the adcom? I wasn't sure if writing individual ones (like to our interviewer at the traditional mmi station) is violating MMI confidentiality/anonymity or something

I only wrote one to the entire adcom. I don't think they are expecting us to write individual ones and I don't think there will be any benefit of writing them (or detriment for not). I just wrote one as a professional courtesy.

To those who interviewed this week: Dean Rivera mentioned he'd be giving out calls early to mid October. Are schools allowed to notify applicants via phone before Oct 15? Or is all form of communication for acceptances prohibited before 10/15?
Hey, I'm interviewing in a few weeks. Do you mean to say that Dean Rivera said/implied they will be letting people know about acceptances around Oct 15th??? According to MSAR, they don't send out acceptance information until January 15th. Are they changing that this year?

Hey, I'm interviewing in a few weeks. Do you mean to say that Dean Rivera said/implied they will be letting people know about acceptances around Oct 15th??? According to MSAR, they don't send out acceptance information until January 15th. Are they changing that this year?
Yea, he stated that in the past they would release acceptances in Jan so people could make decisions based on financial aid. This year they can let people know earlier due to obvious reasons.

Yea, he stated that in the past they would release acceptances in Jan so people could make decisions based on financial aid. This year they can let people know earlier due to obvious reasons.
Wow, that's incredible! Now I wish I would have selected an earlier interview date! So admission decisions will be rolling now I'm assuming? If I interview around mid October, I'm guessing I may hear back around Turkey day?

Wow, that's incredible! Now I wish I would have selected an earlier interview date! So admission decisions will be rolling now I'm assuming? If I interview around mid October, I'm guessing I may hear back around Turkey day?
Not sure about when you’ll hear back but yes, he did confirm admissions are rolling this year.

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I was wondering if NYU is receptive to ITA requests? Thank you in advance!

Does anyone know the post-II acceptance rate for NYU?
As someone else said, it was around 30%. However, I recently spoke to someone who interviewed there and they were told that acceptance rates will be significantly lower this time around. Accepting fewer students and less matriculating....

As someone else said, it was around 30%. However, I recently spoke to someone who interviewed there and they were told that acceptance rates will be significantly lower this time around. Accepting fewer students and less matriculating....
Less matriculation and likely a much higher yield %. No one can say right now, but personally I wouldn't be surprised if they finish the year with under 130 total accepts

Less matriculation and likely a much higher yield %. No one can say right now, but personally I wouldn't be surprised if they finish the year with under 130 total accepts
sad :(

II today!!! Complete 9/4

Reactions: 5 users
anybody that got an II with MCAT in the 515-520 range mind sharing what they think got them an II (like ECs, research, etc.)? I have a 4.0 cGPA and 4.0 sGPA, MCAT in 517-521 range, and what I thought were strong ECs! Submitted late July so feeling kinda like its a nope at this point. Feeling like nothing is ever good enoughhhhhh :(

Reactions: 4 users
Are you Canadian/international? I’m in the exact same boat as you.

Nope BUT I did attend university overseas, so have been hearing you guys on this thread....maybe NYU really strongly prefers American colleges? I've been feeling like they have a strong research focus but literally have 3000+ research hours and 5 publications so likeeeee thinking its not that? Also had a strong emphasis on compassion in medicine in my app cause I'm really passionate about that, maybe that isn't their jam?

We seem to have very similar strengths, so either strong preference towards US colleges like you said or they are still reviewing our apps? I would give it a few more weeks before we lose hope.

I like this positivity :)

Seems like they definitely prefer top undergrad schools as well

Went to one of HYPSM, got a 519, and have several thousand hours of research - haven't heard anything

I mean the University of Toronto is a top 20 university in the world and all my friends from there with high stats and spectacular CVs have not heard back from NYU, so perhaps top US undergrads lol?
yeah that's what i meant

For those who've already interviewed, does NYU allow note-taking during the 2-minute period before entering the interviewing room? Any tips for preparing??