2018-2019 Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got my acceptance on Thursday 12/20! Stoked!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Do y’all think Oakland will be sending out IIs anymore, or are they done interviewing?

Haven’t heard back yet, at all

Those of us who interviewed Dec. 7th and haven't heard back; does this mean it's a waitlist/rejection at this point??

No, OU has been pretty straight forward this year about their decisions. If you’re waitlisted they’d tell you

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Those of us who interviewed Dec. 7th and haven't heard back; does this mean it's a waitlist/rejection at this point??

Now I am only going by observation, but from what I can tell, they've given acceptances between 3-4 weeks after interviewing, so definitely don't count yourself out until they give you an official decision. Also, it's the holidays and schools are closed between Christmas to New Years. I wouldn't be too surprised if you don't hear anything this month

Reactions: 1 user
Do y’all think Oakland will be sending out IIs anymore, or are they done interviewing?

Haven’t heard back yet, at all

I think they'll still be inviting through February based on last year's thread

I got the phone call on Thursday for a full-tuition merit scholarship!

I have IIs at five other schools. Withdrew one and will attend three of the others for sure. The last one is University of Kentucky. I'm not a Kentucky resident and don't really have a community there. They do give out scholarships (aid awards ranging from $600-$79553 according to their website). I'm not sure whether or not to attend this interview. I loved OUWB and can't really see myself going to Kentucky, but Kentucky is more well known. Does this matter?

For some background, I am trying to keep my options open for specialties, but have loved OB/GYN and GI (both of which OUWB have great clinical exposure for). I definitely don't want to go into research so how much does "prestige" matter? I am thinking it'd be best to go to the school I feel most comfortable with and would complete my MD with the least debt.

I have two interviews and ironically one is at UK and the other is OUWB. Can I PM you?

Happy Holidays! Could someone speak about the second look experience at OUWB? This admissions cycle has cost me an arm and a leg and I’m just trying to see if it is worth going to. I’m very interested in Ouwb But I am not sure how much more we will actually get out of Second Look

Praying for a Christmas miracle (preferably in the form of an II) once the new year starts

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Did they mention in the interview how many they place on the waitlists ?

I got the phone call on Thursday for a full-tuition merit scholarship!

I have IIs at five other schools. Withdrew one and will attend three of the others for sure. The last one is University of Kentucky. I'm not a Kentucky resident and don't really have a community there. They do give out scholarships (aid awards ranging from $600-$79553 according to their website). I'm not sure whether or not to attend this interview. I loved OUWB and can't really see myself going to Kentucky, but Kentucky is more well known. Does this matter?

For some background, I am trying to keep my options open for specialties, but have loved OB/GYN and GI (both of which OUWB have great clinical exposure for). I definitely don't want to go into research so how much does "prestige" matter? I am thinking it'd be best to go to the school I feel most comfortable with and would complete my MD with the least debt.

Would you be able to give any insight into what you like about UK vs. Oakland?

Has anyone who was complete mid-September heard anything yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite today

complete late july....and STILL nothing yet. Dont know if thats a good sign or not, but Im stressing ouuttttt

II today! Great school, but I will be declining my invite. Hope it goes to one of you!

complete late july....and STILL nothing yet. Dont know if thats a good sign or not, but Im stressing ouuttttt

I can imagine your stress, believe me. I replied to your DM, sorry it took so long. Sounds like a major purge today as well as II invites, there will be more. Last year, I received my II on 01/10/18, so there's still hope!

Anywhere heard of acceptance today or yesterday yet? Wondering if any waitlistees heard good news by chance. They supposedly go out with offers today (or yesterday)

R, OOS LM 73. Complete early August. Good luck to all!

Happy New Year everyone! :) Could someone share their interview experience? I'm having my interview next week and I'm kinda nervous about it.

Happy New Year everyone! :) Could someone share their interview experience? I'm having my interview next week and I'm kinda nervous about it.
2 1:1 interviews, really laid back and conversational, know your AMCAS

Don't stress too much! As Kycie said before, the interviews are pretty relaxed. They really just want to get to know you on a personal level. The day is long, so wear comfortable shoes.

Don't stress too much! As Kycie said before, the interviews are pretty relaxed. They really just want to get to know you on a personal level. The day is long, so wear comfortable shoes.

It is a SUPER long day but everyone is friendly so that helps. Interview isn’t intense at all. Some people get two very conversational interviewers and some may get people who stick to the script. I got one of each and neither was stressful. It was a fluid conversation.

Lastly, they feed you well. Which also helps with the long day

Reactions: 1 users

Interviewers can see your entire application except MCAT and GPA. So essays, experiences, PS, etc are fair game...know those well and be able to expand on them. Very conversational interviews and didn't hear anyone say they were stressed.

Would you be able to give any insight into what you like about UK vs. Oakland?
So sorry for the late reply! I've been traveling but yes I would love to!

I am neither a Kentucky nor Michigan resident, but did my undergrad in Ohio so both cultures were somewhat familiar to me. Oakland's administration seemed to do more "hand-holding" than UK, which I viewed as a positive. I'm in the accepted applicant Facebook pages for the incoming classes for both schools, and Oakland's is led by Dean Dan and has current students posting to offer to answer any questions; the UK one mostly consists of posts by people organizing UK swag for the school of medicine.

They both have really well respected and established hospital systems, and for both, the administration seems to be super receptive to student input.

UK is P/F whereas Oakland is Honors/P/F (to honor, attendance is required for 70% of classes). Oakland also seems to use TBLs more and it seems like at UK students are more independent. If you had anything specific you also wanted me to touch on let me know! And feel free to PM me too :)

Interviewers can see your entire application except MCAT and GPA. So essays, experiences, PS, etc are fair game...know those well and be able to expand on them. Very conversational interviews and didn't hear anyone say they were stressed.
+1

They truly want to see how closely you fit with the program!

Just wanted to follow up on the professor written vs. NBME exams in case it hasn't be answered.

To my understanding there is some LCME requirement now requiring schools to have some kind of progress exam before the final, perhaps someone knows more about this.

The progress exam is currently professor written and is fairly low stakes. For our Heme Lymph Block it is worth 15% of our final grade and only a 60% on the exam is require for the full 15% credit.

The final is still a custom NBME exam.

It's not clear to me if the final will also become professor written. From what I have learned they are working on quality check measures. However, there has been significant push back from the students considering how well OUWB has done on Step in the past.

Reactions: 3 users
Just wanted to follow up on the professor written vs. NBME exams in case it hasn't be answered.

To my understanding there is some LCME requirement now requiring schools to have some kind of progress exam before the final, perhaps someone knows more about this.

The progress exam is currently professor written and is fairly low stakes. For our Heme Lymph Block it is worth 15% of our final grade and only a 60% on the exam is require for the full 15% credit.

It's not clear to me if the final will also become professor written. From what I have learned they are working on quality check measures. However, there has been significant push back from the students considering how well OUWB has done on Step in the past.

I remember their mean Step 1 score being very impressive and increasing every year. Anything you can do to keep whatever is working toward maintaining those high means is great!

Just a heads up my rejection email came in the spam.

When will they get back to you guys on that ?

I remember their mean Step 1 score being very impressive and increasing every year. Anything you can do to keep whatever is working toward maintaining those high means is great!

Yeah it seems risky to move away what it already working for students