2018-2019 Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by Lucca, Jun 23, 2018.

1. mjt6857

Stats?

bmwturnsignal likes this.
  2. Goatcappy32

Goatcappy32 Spongebob456

Is there a fee to park on campus at OUWB? Also is zipcar available in the area and for students who are out of state, do they usually just buy a car in Michigan or ship their cars across country ?

3. TheSauceIsBaus

Can someone talk about what the daily class and lab schedule is like? Thanks

Goatcappy32 likes this.
  4. futuredoc0307

Pre-Medical
    Parking is free.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Goatcappy32 likes this.
  5. Chicken Little

Medical Student
    Not all of Tier 1 was accepted last year before Tier 2. I'm not sure why this was the case.

Classes generally are from 8 - 11 AM and then 1 - 4 PM. Fridays are typically only morning classes. First semester with anatomy we usually have 2 anatomy labs a week. Right now in Heme/Onc we have about 2 labs a week but I'm told Heme/Onc is the exception. We usually don't have that many.

Parking is free but a pain to locate any near O'Dowd if you arrive after say 7:30. Most people either bring their car or buy one here.

TheSauceIsBaus likes this.
  6. Live2HelpOthers

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hello! I have a question for any of the current students at OUWB if they are able to see this. I was admitted in October and am seriously considering OUWB as one of my top choices to attend. However, would someone be able to elaborate more on how they feel about the Honors/Pass/Fail pre-clinical years here at OUWB (this is my only area of skepticism and I was not able to get more information on it during my interview day)?

Most of the other schools I had a chance to interview for are primarily P/F and as a result students are able to prioritize outside resources that help with STEP 1 and somewhat coincide with their school tests as well (NBME examinations), thus being able to simultaneously pass their courses but also get a head start on STEP 1 preparations. I am not 100% sure, but from my visit to OUWB, I saw a really strong emphasis on attending lecture and studying from lectures. In order to honor in a class, would you need to 100% stick with what the professors are putting in their lectures, or would you be able to rely on outside resources (by these I mean the typical Anki, Boards & Beyond, and other things that medical students emphasize to start early) as well? Also would current students say that the lectures correspond well with what is going to appear on STEP and is it typically very difficult to honor in a class (I remember on interview day, the administrators said unlimited people can honor, but I just wanted to possibly gauge the actual difficulty of obtaining an honor)?

I know from previous threads and replies that pre-clinical grades are not an area of immediate importance but I hope to be able to come back to CA (familial reasons) and wish to put my best foot forward when I begin medical school. I sincerely loved everything else about OUWB when I visited (the student body, diversity, location, hospital, opportunities). There was just a little gray area for me regarding the H/P/F system. Thank you to anyone who is able to help!!

purplecrocs and Goatcappy32 like this.
  7. mrslandingham

mrslandingham OUWB M4
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yep, parking is free, but it's also a free-for-all lol...the parking lot right next to O'Dowd usually fills by 7:30-7:45 but there are plenty of spots in lots that are maybe a 10-15 minute walk across campus.

I'll defer to Chicken Little for M1/M2, but for M3/M4...depends highly on the rotation. I've had some weeks where I'm 9-5 four days a week, and others where I'm in the hospital from 5am-7pm most days. Usually there is either a 1 hour lecture daily, or one afternoon of lectures a week. Never went over duty hours (80 hours a week). But this is pretty consistent across med schools.

Congrats!

Honestly looking back as an M4...H/P/F during the clinical years was not that big of a deal.

Step studying: I think OUWB does a fairly good job of teaching and testing on material that is either relevant to the boards or just like genuinely useful info to know for patient care. We don't really have the "PhD spending an hour talking about his super esoteric research/area of interest that is barely relevant to medicine" lectures. Even on exams that were professor written, I still did a fair amount of studying from resources like Sketchy, Pathoma, First Aid, etc. that helped me to prepare for the boards, and did Step 1 question banks to study for the exams. I think our above average Step 1 scores prove that.

Difficulty of honoring: depends on the course. In some of the easier organ blocks, maybe 40% of the class honored, and in others it was maybe 10%. Also important to note that at any school, when you apply to residency you will have an MSPE/Dean's Letter that shows how you performed in comparison to the rest of your class. This means that if it's really hard to honor at your school, residency programs will see that only 5% of your class honored this course, and take that into account when evaluating you. Personally, I worked my butt off and still barely honored anything lol.

Effects on residency: I honored maybe 1-2 classes during M1/M2 year and still got interviews at all my top choice residencies (though to be fair I'm not applying to anything super competitive). Residencies care much more about clinical grades, step scores, demonstrated interest in the specialty, research, etc. The 2018 Program Director Survey doesn't even include preclinical grades as a factor in inviting for interview or ranking applicants, although we can use class rank and AOA (honors society for students with top grades) as a proxy for preclinical grades - 30-40% of PDs didn't even consider those in their interview/rank decisions, and those who did considered class rank and AOA to be of lower importance than 15+ other criteria. Good preclinical grades can give you a bump, but I don't think having all passes would significantly hurt you if the rest of your application was solid.

8. Freelancefood

Pre-Medical
    Was there an adcom meeting this past wednesday or next wednesday? Did anyone hear back from the 01/18 interview?

#808 Freelancefood, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  9. Freelancefood

Pre-Medical
    Anyone hear anything?

10. futuredoc0307

Pre-Medical
    adcom meets this wednesday. The university was closed last week due to the cold

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Freelancefood and qwerta like this.
  11. qwerta

Pre-Medical
    hopefully, they'll review our files this week....
    mine has been completed since the third week of July, kinda getting nervous

12. keepyourheadup

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    +1 no II no rejection complete mid-August. Quite confused on how they stratify applications and why they take so long to review applications submitted early/on time

13. beexoxo

Sorry if this has already been answered but does this school send you a decision immediately after reviewing your application? Or do they wait till the end to reject who they don’t want

14. mariposas905

Pre-Medical
    Same situation here, I don't know why it's taking so long either but I really wish they would send some news soon

lit6578 likes this.
  15. Freelancefood

Pre-Medical
    No news is good news is the phrase floating around on here. If you had an interview you should hear back with an acceptance or rejection in 3/4 weeks. If they think your app is worth reviewing it will be silent until they decide to accept you which might go on until April.

Freddywap and beexoxo like this.
  16. Freelancefood

Pre-Medical
    Ahh that makes a lot sense given the negative degrees with the weather. Did they post that info anywhere?

17. futuredoc0307

Pre-Medical
    I go to the university. It was closed Mon, Wed, Thu, which happened to be a meeting week.

Freelancefood likes this.
  18. Freelancefood

Pre-Medical
    Anyone know if the decisions were made 5 pm ET on the Wednesday or earlier? I’m just super anxious at this point. I wanna make sure I get a solid meal in my belly so I can handle whatever news I get.

19. WheelSpinner

II just now, IS LM 72, complete 8/2, sent an update about a week ago! Only date available was Feb 15th

20. chairmanmax

Congrats and good luck

WheelSpinner likes this.
  21. Freelancefood

Pre-Medical
    Best of luck!

WheelSpinner likes this.
  22. mrslandingham

mrslandingham OUWB M4
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    OUWB got 8,535 applications last year. Let's guess that maybe 1,000-2,000 didn't make it past the secondary screen (below minimum MCAT/GPA, not meeting citizenship/residency requirements, other major red flags that are easily identified with a cursory or computerized review, etc.). So now there are about 7,000 applications to review for interview.

Two people review each application before making an interview recommendation, so let's assume maybe one hour total is spent on each application prior to interviews (and I think that's being stingy). So 7,000 hours worth of pre-interview review would be 175 40-hour work weeks, or >3 years of one person working full time to review all those applications. We do have lots of people reviewing applications, but it's not their full-time job - they're practicing physicians, teachers, and/or administrators, they're parents or spouses or people who take care of their elderly parents, they're people who get sick and have things that come up and interrupt their days. They're spending maybe 1/2-1 day a week reviewing applications. And that's not to mention the roles they may also play in interviewing 400+ students, helping with the logistics of interview day, making post-interview decisions, and other aspects of admissions.

Consider also that the majority of applicants submit early during the summer months.

That's why it takes so long to review applications submitted early/on time. As to how they stratify applications, I have no idea. But at any med school, reviewing applications is a HUGE undertaking, and it takes time to do it well, especially with the depth/holistic-ness that OUWB does it.

ETA: Just to clarify, some of the numbers above are just guesses/estimates on my part, but we do get 8500+ apps each year and interview 450+ students. I do know exactly how much it sucks to be waiting to hear from schools and I 100% understand why it's frustrating. Just trying to give some perspective from "the other side" - it's really just the way the system works, as unfortunate as that is.

They send you a decision as soon as they know. Tons of people in this thread have already been rejected pre-interview.

Not sure if it was posted anywhere, but can confirm OU's campus was closed for a few days last week and as a result I'd guess most/all of the admissions office were not there.

#822 mrslandingham, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  23. Freelancefood

Pre-Medical
    i appreciate it thank you!

24. Chandler Bing

Has OUWB posted any stats on number of interviews requested/completed and offers made?

futuredoc0307 likes this.
  25. Freddywap

Pre-Medical
    Last year they had a tracker on their admission website so I'm guessing they still have it this year

26. esentr

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    they removed it this season :(

Freddywap and Freelancefood like this.
  27. qwerta

Pre-Medical
    Do y’all think interview invites might go out tomorrow.. considering they may have held a meeting today?

Fingers super crossed

lit6578 and Freelancefood like this.
  28. Freelancefood

Pre-Medical
    I hope it’s tomorrow too. Perhaps their meeting went on a little longer which was the case for some meetings last year. I’m with you. Tomorrow early morning afternoon we should hear something if they did meet today.

29. Drakozord X

Lizzym if I may ask? Trying to figure out how they are stratifying these apps.

#829 Drakozord X, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  30. futuredoc0307

Pre-Medical
    anyone know the approximate date for their last interview day?

31. Nurse2MD2018

Just got the call, interviewed 1/10.

32. HT9ver

Pre-Medical
    Just got a call, interviewed 1/18

33. showstooppa96

Pre-Medical
    Just got the call! Interviewed 1/18

34. altblue

2+ Year Member

Congrats!!

showstooppa96 and batatata like this.
  35. qwerta

Pre-Medical
    This is so exciting lol... hope I even get the chance to interview

#835 qwerta, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    showstooppa96 and altblue like this.
  36. Freelancefood

Pre-Medical
    Congratulations!!! That’s exciting!!! I hope they are still reviewing the apps from those dates

Freddywap likes this.
  37. batatata

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    +1, in-state

38. futuredoc0307

Pre-Medical
    Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist other than @kangaroo33 ?

39. medmichigander

nope I wish lol

40. Freelancefood

Pre-Medical
    Just confirming here. Okay, so my understanding is that if you get a call you get accepted. If you get an email, you are either rejected or waitlisted on to third tier. How come they are doing a different waitlist without tier notice...could that be the same as being reviewed each adcom meeting? I haven’t received an email or call (interview 01/18) so I’m assuming they are going to review it next round which I think is in about 1.5 weeks from today or will they meet this Wednesday again. They missed a Wednesday before this week due to weather conditions.

Also, curious if anyone who received calls will be withdrawing their acceptances?

#840 Freelancefood, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  41. futuredoc0307

Pre-Medical
    they inform everyone of where they end up regardless. the "silent first or second tier" thing is not being done anymore. so if you are not accepted they will send an email of either rejection, 3rd tier, or "the other waitlist pile" that will eventually be split into tier 1 and 2 tier in mid april. if you don't get the email today, you still might get the call!

42. christurkleton

Current OUWB student here. Most people from out of state either drive here or ship their cars because we were told by upperclassman that Michigan is the state with the highest car insurance and the cost of auto insurance you pay per month if I get your car here would eventually cost more than the cost of shipping your car here. Depends on where you ship the car from, cost from CA is average $1k-1.5k (lowest is probably $800)

Message me for details on our curriculum regarding H/P/F.

purplecrocs and Freddywap like this.
  43. JugglesMed

Pre-Medical
    Is there a $100 deposit to secure out spot, that we need to put down? I read through all the acceptance emails and letter and could not find it. Also I don't see it anywhere on the portal

44. CrackedPepperSeeds

How does driving there or shipping your car lower your insurance? Your insurance cost depend on where you live, not where the car is registered, afaik.

Freddywap and futuredoc0307 like this.
  45. christurkleton

We can keep our former state insurance because we only move here temporarily for school and therefore not required to register a new MI license plate etc here => don't need to pay MI car insurance.

46. christurkleton

Yes but it's due pretty late. I remember freaking out over this too but I think it's around March that it's due and they will send you reminder.

47. JugglesMed

Pre-Medical
    Thanks so they will open an option on the portal sometime soon or in march?

48. meddoctorhopeful

Yes exactly. When I interviewed I actually didn’t hear back until more than a month later while my one friend heard back before the winter break that she was accepted. By January 17th I started freaking out and was about to call them when I got the phone call! It was my first acceptance and really meant the most since I really loved my interview day experience and this program. So sometimes no news really is good news.

Freelancefood likes this.
  49. Freelancefood

Pre-Medical

I appreciate the comment thank you! This makes me feel at ease

meddoctorhopeful likes this.
  50. CrackedPepperSeeds

Are you not telling your insurance company that you moved? Your insurance rates are based on where you live, not the state your car is registered in. It doesn't matter that it's temporary for a few years. If you get into an accident, they can and probably will decline to cover you and/or file fraud charges.

Freddywap and Goatcappy32 like this.