2018-2019 Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do any current students have insight on the white coat ceremony? I have been told we can only have three guests, which complicates things for a family of 5. Is it possible to get an extra ticket or two -- or is it pretty strict to three?

Members don't see this ad.

Agreed. That’d be risky. I’m very curious if there has been movement at all other than what’s been posted
My scoop (trust me) is that there has been very little waitlist movement because thus far everyone is holding their offers- at a much higher rate than in the past. They say it's likely bc of new rules with schools not being able to see acceptances so everything is backlogged (i.e schools not wanna give too many offers initially, a lotta ppl waitlisted, ppl having to stick with offers from not preferred school, then if they get off waitlist from preferred school they switch).

The good news is that in the past week or so there has been 2-3 ppl who withdrew offers. There was very little movement prior to then and fact that there have been withdrawals means that other schools have started pulling off WL. I've also heard the new "commit to enroll" thing really hasn't gone as planned and people still hold two acceptances so things might move as that clears up as well. Thus, there's probably more movement to come and soon OUWB will need to pull off WL.

The bad news is it's also very possible this is the year OUWB breaks out as a high choice and retention rate remains very high. Also very possible that ppl who have gotten acceptances from OUWB have set themselves to go there (apartment, etc) and won't rescind their acceptance even if they get into whatever school was higher on their list.

Also - they pull 1:1.

Reactions: 1 user
Do any current students have insight on the white coat ceremony? I have been told we can only have three guests, which complicates things for a family of 5. Is it possible to get an extra ticket or two -- or is it pretty strict to three?
I was worried about this last year as well when I walked, so I kept my guest list to 3 people. Ultimately, the event was not strict at all and there were definitely people who had more than just the 3 guests come along. I can't speak for how it will be this year, but I would be surprised if things were any different.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you call the office you can get put on a waitlist for extra tickets!

Hopefully with that waitlist survey they sent out yesterday there will be a smaller waitlist and better chances to hear in the near future!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

When u rsvp for white coat there’s a section that asks if you need any extra

Anyone know when the commit to enroll date is? Is that the day I should officially lose hope?
I would think a couple days after that is the official lose hope day. They'll have their final class rounded out more than likely

Actually I think it's the morning of the 16th that is the absolute deadline (based on the email they sent us)

Thank you! One of my friends is on WL here and they're still waiting to hear back but I don't think WL has moved much. Hopefully it does after the CTE

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Basically just sent a **** you email for stringing me along, so probably 1 less person on the waitlist

Basically just sent a **** you email for stringing me along, so probably 1 less person on the waitlist
I feel you on that. I feel so naive telling people I’m on the waitlist and it’s mid July. I know it’s super frustrating, especially since it seemed like most ppl got in off waitlist but remember to keep your head high always! I wish you the best, keep heading in the direction of your dreams!

Are there any tier 1 waitlist people out there still?

Lol like all of us. This year was really the turning point for OU where they went from accepting all of their tier 1 to not accepting any lol. It’s coo tho

Hey guys, there's a position (and scholarship money) available which will be given out very soon. It might go to one of you. Just wanted to add some hope to this thread!

Real question - did you actually tell OUWB or was it more so done online?? Cause I heard they weren’t sure if 1-2 ppl in their class would come and they were wait until class starts to see if they show up before filling them. But if you like straight told them you’re going somewhere else then they probably filled it already

I called and also emailed them about my withdrawal.

Just got an II. I am pumped! but do you guys think its for a wait list spot because I don't wanna fly from the other side of the country just to be waitlisted? Thanks

Just got an II. I am pumped! but do you guys think its for a wait list spot because I don't wanna fly from the other side of the country just to be waitlisted? Thanks
I think you'll want to post on the 2019-2020 thread! But I'm a current M1 and a lot of my current classmates interviewed around this time, so no, I don't think you're interviewing for a wait list spot. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I think you'll want to post on the 2019-2020 thread! But I'm a current M1 and a lot of my current classmates interviewed around this time, so no, I don't think you're interviewing for a wait list spot. Good luck!
Thanks, I realized it after I posted it lol