2018-2019 Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who already interviewed, how many people were in your interview group?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have an upcoming interview date? Would love to save some money on the Uber/ Lyft ride from the airport to campus

Anyone have an upcoming interview date? Would love to save some money on the Uber/ Lyft ride from the airport to campus
You should definitely rent a car, everybody at my interview had a rental. The school is approximately 50min to 1hr away depending on traffic.

Uber was $50 to my hotel in Auburn Hills from Detrpo
You should definitely rent a car, everybody at my interview had a rental. The school is approximately 50min to 1hr away depending on traffic.

Uber was ~$50 each way as a reference if you are looking to compare car rental to Uber. Note that most car rental places have extra fees if you are under 25.

I’m flying in from DTW. I would do a rental but I’m under 25 and I can’t drive lol. Taking lessons in December so I can get my license before school

Uber was $50 to my hotel in Auburn Hills from Detrpo

Uber was ~$50 each way as a reference if you are looking to compare car rental to Uber. Note that most car rental places have extra fees if you are under 25.

To those of you that interviewed: did u feel like the two one on one interviews were repetitive or did the interviewers each focus on different areas.

Were there any ethical questions ? From what I gathered it seems to be just focused on the individual applicant. Lastly, did they say how long to receive a decision post interview?

What exactly did the email say? Did it say “ we received your scores from AMCAS...”
No, it was more of a promotional email. The subject was "Oakland University School of Medicine Newsletter- Volume 2". It had a whole bunch of information with pictures and text.

Reactions: 1 user
To those of you that interviewed: did u feel like the two one on one interviews were repetitive or did the interviewers each focus on different areas.

Were there any ethical questions ? From what I gathered it seems to be just focused on the individual applicant. Lastly, did they say how long to receive a decision post interview?
I did a two on one interview at another school and I did not get the impression that it was repetitive at all. I think it's mostly just to get two perspectives on the things you say as opposed to just one. Plus they each ask their own set of questions so yes they do focus on different things.

these next 5 days are gonna be the longest ever

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Or it could be dreams come true day with acceptances!! For me it’s just another agonizing day before my November interview lol
well it could just my day to finalllyyyyyyy get an interview invite seeing as ive been done since mid-aug

Can a current student speak about the NBME exam format for classes. Do all the organ system blocks use this examination? Do students generally feel like they are well prepared for exams? What about remediating exams..does this happen often? I heard that exams must be remediate even if a student was just shy of passing. Once chance to pass the exam again and then the course is failed and must be retaken, am I correct? Thanks so much!!

Thank you so much for the insight! :clap::):)I’ll be sure to ask about the possible exam transition during my interview day.

Don't quote me on this but I believe the exam format for the first and second year courses is being transitioned to professor written last I heard. Mine were NBME exams when I went through so take the following with a grain of salt and definitely talk to some current M1s and M2s on interview day about their thoughts. Overall I felt well prepared for exams, the professors were extremely helpful and always available if you were struggling with the material. The first few are scary because you don't know what to expect but everyone got through okay.

We had lots of exams where they told us everybody passed, and for my class I never heard about an unreasonable amount of people failing such that changes needed to be made. People don't usually talk about it if they failed but just from what I've heard through the grapevine it's no more than 1-2 people per exam, and as I said we had plenty of exams where we were told everybody passed. A few people have taken time off or left the med school in each class (I think 1-2 in my class?), sometimes for academic reasons but more often for personal reasons (didn't want to be a doctor after all, several people took time off for family issues, significant illness, etc.). As far as I know the failure rate for courses and academic years is comparable to that of other US med schools. No med school in the US is going to be intentionally failing people out so they do their best to be fair with writing and grading the exam, so it's not something that I would concern myself with when deciding between US schools.

Regarding the process if you fail, it's pretty similar to most med schools. The cutoff is usually 70%, and yes even if you are close you still failed. Otherwise what's the point of having a cutoff? If you fail the exam, you get a grade of incomplete and an opportunity to retake the exam. You get put in contact with the course director, academic support office, and tutoring for extra help to make sure you get where you need to be. If you pass the exam retake, you've passed the course. If you don't pass the exam retake, then you retake the course (I believe over the summer?). Again, this is pretty standard for most USMD schools as far as I know.

For those who already interviewed, how many people were in your interview group?
Definitely not more than 25 people. But I interviewed first day so that could be why a small number

Already received a post-II waitlist from another school, hoping OUWB brings some good news this week!

Already received a post-II waitlist from another school, hoping OUWB brings some good news this week!

I didn’t know they’re allowed to send decisions before 10/15. Which school if you don’t mind?

Rejections and waitlists can go out before 10/15. Only acceptances are restricted until after. See traffic rule #3. OUWB has already sent out rejections this cycle, though I'm not sure if any were post-interview.

I noticed OUWB is pretty straightforward and quick with their decisions. Do you know ifthey’ll be making calls for sure tomorrow?

I didn’t know they’re allowed to send decisions before 10/15. Which school if you don’t mind?
EVMS, kind of stung since its an in-state school. But hopefully better news is on the horizon!

Last edited:
For people who have interviews in November, please message me if you’d like to share an Uber to the campus!

Do any of those interviewed on the first day remember if they said that we should be hearing back tomorrow?

Pretty sure acceptances start going out on the 15th. But there are no guarantees for when we'd hear back.
We were specifically told we would get one of four answers on the 15th (or 16th). Acceptance, Rejection, Waitlist, 3rd Tier Waitlist (not sure the specific name here). The last one being a waitlist, but likely a rejection. Maybe they have since changed their process?

I wonder if calls will be made over the next couple days or if all the accepted ones go out today?