2018-2019 Ohio State University College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if there is a facebook page yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Until march

I saw last year they gave out interviews way longer than any other school so you are good.

Do you guys know if that is the case for OOS applicants invited to interview as well? I've heard that OSU interviews OOS students earlier in the year (due to weather probably) but don't know if that also means that later in the cycle its only IS folks.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II on 1/13! OOS, applied here really late. They gave me the option of coming late January or waiting till March to interview

Reactions: 2 users
I’m gonna have an aneurysm if they don’t start inviting us tOSU UGs soon :(

I read some posts above of people calling the admissions office to check their status. Are they pretty friendly about this?

Are we able to call the admissions office to ask curriculum questions, that may not have been answered during interview day? like the day to day schedule of a MS1, how much required stuff there is on a weekly basis, what the competencies entail etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering, what's the point of calling admissions about your application status? Do they tell you anything that vitals doesnt?

Just wondering, what's the point of calling admissions about your application status? Do they tell you anything that vitals doesnt?

OOS over here. Radio silence since early Sept. Is this a silent R? Or can/should I send an update?

OSU sends interview invites through February and are most likely only about half-way through their interview cycle.

Source: last year's thread (this comment was dated 2 February 2018):
I just got off the phone with admissions and they said that the email is more of a way to let people know that they're roughly halfway through the cycle. Also, if you give them your AMCAS number, they're pretty open about what stage of the process you're in (like when your app got sent to faculty review/when the faculty decision score should be coming back)!

Reactions: 1 user
I was told my application was about to head into the screening process. Asked about something else related to my app and she said she would make sure it was up to date because it was about to be screened. I think calling and being like "whats my status????" could be annoying but if you have an update that you want to make sure they added or see if your current information is correct, then tag on the "do you know if this will be used in my initial screen?" and they will probably be more open to it.

I was told my application was about to head into the screening process. Asked about something else related to my app and she said she would make sure it was up to date because it was about to be screened. I think calling and being like "whats my status????" could be annoying but if you have an update that you want to make sure they added or see if your current information is correct, then tag on the "do you know if this will be used in my initial screen?" and they will probably be more open to it.

Good to know they haven't even gotten to some applications yet. When did you submit/what is your LM if you don't mind me asking? Trying to avoid having to call but determine if they might not have looked at my app yet :p

Good to know they haven't even gotten to some applications yet. When did you submit/what is your LM if you don't mind me asking? Trying to avoid having to call but determine if they might not have looked at my app yet :p

Early July and LM 66-69. IS if that helps at all. I have decent ECs and a strong upward trend so I hope that carries me lol

Can anyone post the number they are calling that actually works.... I spent 20 minutes talking to different people who had no idea of how to get me to the medical school admissions office

Can anyone post the number they are calling that actually works.... I spent 20 minutes talking to different people who had no idea of how to get me to the medical school admissions office

(614) 292-7137 .. . This is one mentioned above several posts ago

Just called again and I’m still “in screening,” so nothing has changed since a couple months ago. A little discouraging, but I keep telling myself it’s just because I’m an undergrad here. Hopefully correct. The number above works btw!

Can you tell me what IA represents here in the stats?

For the purposes of updating, my wife, who applied in early August, called yesterday. They indicated she's not yet been evaluated. She's IS, current OSU undergrad, LizzyM 80.

Reactions: 4 users
For the purposes of updating, my wife, who applied in early August, called yesterday. They indicated she's not yet been evaluated. She's IS, current OSU undergrad, LizzyM 80.
Thanks for sharing!

And best of luck to her too.

Since OSU doesn’t reject anyone until the end of the cycle, the point is to find out if they finished screening your application months ago and decided not to give you an interview or if it hasn’t been screened yet

Since OSU doesn’t reject anyone until the end of the cycle, the point is to find out if they finished screening your application months ago and decided not to give you an interview or if it hasn’t been screened yet
Yeah I was told mines about to go into screening but hasnt yet. I think if they say "youre waiting for a final screen" that may be a bad sign but not worth speculating at this point. Seems like they review a couple OSU UGs and locals each time around especially for last minute cancellations that need filled

+1 I was complete mid-October and I still haven't heard anything yet.

Has anyone that interviewed for the primary care track heard back yet? I can’t remember when they said they would release decisions.

Do we have an accepted students fb group yet?

Are we able to call the admissions office to ask curriculum questions, that may not have been answered during interview day? like the day to day schedule of a MS1, how much required stuff there is on a weekly basis, what the competencies entail etc?

Current MS2 here! PM me with any questions you have, I'd be happy to answer.

is a campus tour part of the interview? trying to determine what kind of footwear to bring/wear. thanks and sorry if this has been asked before!

is a campus tour part of the interview? trying to determine what kind of footwear to bring/wear. thanks and sorry if this has been asked before!
Yes, there is a short tour through the medical campus buildings (where lectures/anatomy are held) as well as the hospitals. You will be walking up and down stairs, and outside between buildings. I would suggest comfortable footwear. Good Luck!

For those that were accepted: did you find out via phone call or through email/when the portal updated? Thank you in advance!

For those that were accepted: did you find out via phone call or through email/when the portal updated? Thank you in advance!
So I was leading a meeting around dinner time when I got the call and missed it, but I saw the area code after so I tried to call back but couldn't get through. Naturally I was just speculating wildly until I got up at 6am the next morning to see my portal had updated with the acceptance haha :)

I found out via email/vitals. Oct 15th

Did others who filled out the fafsa get an email saying to go on buckeyelink and send in the missing forms to verify the fafsa? It sounds like the email is from the undergrad and not the medical school so I dont know if we should do it. I dont know if they all use the same financial aid office or not.

Is the financial aid application just to fill out the FAFSA?

Yes but then you might get an email asking you to send in some tax forms to verify your fafsa is accurate

But also i can't tell if that email is from the medical school because it's a generic email that sounds like it's for under graduates. Is there osu medical school fafsa code the same as the undergrad? I'm starting to think i sent it to the wrong place lol.

II this morning at 8am! LM ~70, WARS ~85, non-trad, OOS, complete late Sept. Really excited to check out OSU!

Edit: FYI the email notifying of II was titled "Ohio State Change of Status", and the body of the email read of a Vitals application status change, nothing more. Super cryptic, but nice surprise!

Reactions: 12 users
Thanks! Is the frequency like once a week/once every other week?

On the sample schedule they gave us i see aafew terms... team based learning once a week and another thing that just says "group" once a week, case based learning twice a week, and rest has a mix of lecture, guided learning, and simulation. Not reallt sure what the terms mean exactly but thats what the sample week looks like.

On the sample schedule they gave us i see aafew terms... team based learning once a week and another thing that just says "group" once a week, case based learning twice a week, and rest has a mix of lecture, guided learning, and simulation. Not reallt sure what the terms mean exactly but thats what the sample week looks like.
What does the guided learning consist of? Is that the same thing as the e-modules?

Any IS OSU-UG’s still hanging tight for that II with me?

Reactions: 5 users