2018-2019 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (Athens, Ohio)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone,
I have an interview coming up soon and was wondering if anybody who has already interviewed has any advice! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if you can email updates or anything? I've been complete since late August and would love to interview. I have an acceptance at another DO school but really want to consider OU. LM is ~70 so I feel like I have a good shot but the silence is getting to me

Reactions: 1 user
Don't go to this University the new curriculum is terrible. Compared to second years who are in the old curriculum, first year students have no lives and nearly ten have failed out after the first semester. Classes are pointless and mandatory. Go somewhere that gives you a chance to have a semblance of wellness.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't go to this University the new curriculum is terrible. Compared to second years who are in the old curriculum, first year students have no lives and nearly ten have failed out after the first semester. Classes are pointless and mandatory. Go somewhere that gives you a chance to have a semblance of wellness.
What is so exhausting about the new curriculum? Is it the work load or they way the information is presented?

What is so exhausting about the new curriculum? Is it the work load or they way the information is presented?

The new curriculum is an overwhelming amount of disjointed readings and objectives that you will NOT be able to finish. You are self teaching yourself material each week, and then must report for mandatory class time that is often not helpful and these "activities" require many many additional hours of reading and completion of HW...you are expected to be mastering this material while simultaneously starting to self teach yourself another 50 hours of material that again-you will not complete. You will feel woefully behind at all times and there is not a single moment to breath as after each examination on Monday, you are expected to be prepared for the next weeks material with an early morning quiz. You will never know what is due when, and faculty/administration will not always get you the materials in a timely fashion. Also if you think you will enjoy your break- be prepared to spend the last week and a half if it doing nothing but the material for the first week.

There is not much time to ask questions during the activities and you are expected to e mail professors to get that resolved-good luck getting a few of them to respond. NO ONE FINISHES all the readings so you are left to guess what may be important, use First Aid and pray you pass your exams. Expecting to be prepared for boards? HA! How are you going to prepare for boards without a solid foundation of knowledge? We are essentially treading water in this new curriculum and the Faculty and Admin are not responsive to our concerns- this curriculum is here to stay and it is either adapt or die- there is no other option.

To add to @DontComeHere has said- There is no wellness in this curriculum. You are going to hear them talk a LOT about wellness- do not let that fol you, that does not apply to those in this curriculum. Maybe the faculty have more wellness with this set up? But the students certainly do not. It is week 2 and I am already behind with no way to catch up as they were not upfront with the amount of time we would have to dedicate to their first weeks worth of work. Thinking about getting sick in this curriculum? Just dont.... You will never catch up.

To add to @DontComeHere has said- There is no wellness in this curriculum. You are going to hear them talk a LOT about wellness- do not let that fol you, that does not apply to those in this curriculum. Maybe the faculty have more wellness with this set up? But the students certainly do not. It is week 2 and I am already behind with no way to catch up as they were not upfront with the amount of time we would have to dedicate to their first weeks worth of work. Thinking about getting sick in this curriculum? Just dont.... You will never catch up.
Thank you so much for your honest! I really appreciate it and I will definitely take all of this into consideration if I get accepted. Do you know how the Students in the TCC program are handling the curriculum since it is accelerated? I’m so sorry that you are going through this and pray it gets better for you and your cohort. Once again thank you for sharing :)

Thank you so much for your honest! I really appreciate it and I will definitely take all of this into consideration if I get accepted. Do you know how the Students in the TCC program are handling the curriculum since it is accelerated? I’m so sorry that you are going through this and pray it gets better for you and your cohort. Once again thank you for sharing :)

I believe all of the TCC students passed this past semester. That being said they already have their residency spot and just have to pass. Those of us not in TCC still have to worry about passing and doing well enough to be competitive for residency. I know their workload is considerably more than ours just due to the accelerated nature of their program- they are essentially rock stars. If one just wants to be content with "passing" then this curriculum is doable, however if you want to really thrive and have time for research or board studying- not really sure how you can fit that in? Maybe sleep less?

I believe all of the TCC students passed this past semester. That being said they already have their residency spot and just have to pass. Those of us not in TCC still have to worry about passing and doing well enough to be competitive for residency. I know their workload is considerably more than ours just due to the accelerated nature of their program- they are essentially rock stars. If one just wants to be content with "passing" then this curriculum is doable, however if you want to really thrive and have time for research or board studying- not really sure how you can fit that in? Maybe sleep less?
Oh okay! Wow this curriculum seems a bit ridiculous! I asked about the TCC students because I am interviewing for that program this week. But now I’m a little hesitant.

I wish you the best with your interview. I am sure there are a handful of students that do not mind this curriculum, or are even thriving! For as much as I hate this curriculum I actually did very well in it first semester, it was just at the very large expense of my physical and mental wellness. My friends at other medical schools did not have to deal with the same difficulties. I do not want to see someone suffer needlessly when they may have another option. Medical school is supposed to be challenging, it i meant to push us to our limits and then some. But There is a point where it stops being beneficial, and is just hindering our growth as future physicians. Needlessly making things difficult for difficulty sake is not beneficial in an already stressful environment.

Has anyone gotten in through the portal but received no email? I have no deadlines listed for my deposits so I'm hoping this wasn't an accident lol

@DontComeHere and @BurnAccount777777 , what are some recommendations you have for students that will be attending next year? Is there a specific way that you have found to cope with this new curriculum that knowing earlier would have helped you? Is there anything you wish you knew before coming to school that would have made things more manageable?

I'm committed to OUHCOM, and would love your input as to how to try and avoid drowning in the material next year as much as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
@DontComeHere and @BurnAccount777777 , what are some recommendations you have for students that will be attending next year? Is there a specific way that you have found to cope with this new curriculum that knowing earlier would have helped you? Is there anything you wish you knew before coming to school that would have made things more manageable?

I'm committed to OUHCOM, and would love your input as to how to try and avoid drowning in the material next year as much as possible.

I'm not gonna speak for Don'tcomehere and burnaccount because, suspiciously, they seem like they're the same person lol. Their frustrations should be taken into consideration. I've heard similar opinions from current students, faculty, and 2nd years.

However, I'm not going to anonymously bash the university. I'm still pro-OUHCOM. I'm still thankful to be accepted to my #1 choice. I'm still happy with my decision to come here.

In comparison to 2nd years, I feel like their curriculum is more forgiving than ours. They at least went out on Halloween weekend lol.

What I can say is make sure being a physician is what you want to do. If you have free time, shadow another Doc for a day. Reflect on that shadowing experience and really ask yourself, "Is this what I want?" I can't emphasize this enough.

We lost some students (friends) from wellness to Acute. The "funny" thing about it is that it was a mix of people. You can be a high performer and just not want to do it anymore. You can be a low performer and not pass the assessments. I believe the secret to making it is developing your "why" and become as effective as a person/student as possible (habits, stress relief, time management, etc.)

I studied a little bit over the summer. It wasn't worth it. What do I wish I did do more? Go to lunch with my mom and dad. See my friends from my hometown. Travel. Spend more time with my dog.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not gonna speak for Don'tcomehere and burnaccount because, suspiciously, they seem like they're the same person lol. Their frustrations should be taken into consideration. I've heard similar opinions from current students, faculty, and 2nd years.

However, I'm not going to anonymously bash the university. I'm still pro-OUHCOM. I'm still thankful to be accepted to my #1 choice. I'm still happy with my decision to come here.

In comparison to 2nd years, I feel like their curriculum is more forgiving than ours. They at least went out on Halloween weekend lol.

What I can say is make sure being a physician is what you want to do. If you have free time, shadow another Doc for a day. Reflect on that shadowing experience and really ask yourself, "Is this what I want?" I can't emphasize this enough.

We lost some students (friends) from wellness to Acute. The "funny" thing about it is that it was a mix of people. You can be a high performer and just not want to do it anymore. You can be a low performer and not pass the assessments. I believe the secret to making it is developing your "why" and become as effective as a person/student as possible (habits, stress relief, time management, etc.)

I studied a little bit over the summer. It wasn't worth it. What do I wish I did do more? Go to lunch with my mom and dad. See my friends from my hometown. Travel. Spend more time with my dog.

I don't believe there should be any shame in wanting to remain anonymous when posting critical, yet honest experiences in this new curriculum. The faculty/administration behind this new curriculum have been a little touchy with our feedback and the vibe many of us have gotten is deal with it, this is the way it is going to work.
Dontcomeere and I are not the same people. Is it so inconceivable that more than one person from a class could hold the same views?

The attrition rate we saw was not the norm for a medical school- do not let Patrick normalize that significant of a loss. 5-6 % is the normal attrition rate a medical school sees for a class over all 4 years. We lost that many in 1.

I am not going to patronize the people on SDN and give out advice of -oh really make sure u are cut out for this life! You have all worked your butts off, jumped through the hoops, given up time with family and friends! This was not a fly by the seat of your pants for most of you! To imply that the loss from our class is due to people just deciding medicine just wasn't their thing is comical.

I am sure that Patrick is one of the kids in our class trying to kiss admins butt- But I am not going to sugar coat this for you all. The curriculum Does not leave you free time. You could spend every waking moment of your week working on the material we have been assigned and still not make it through it all, it is simply ludicrous.

Patrick may not be having much trouble seeing he was a Pharmacy tech in his other life- and may be coasting on by with out having to do much of the assigned readings... His experience and view of the curriculum is not my experience, and it certainly is not the opinions of several other people I have spoken with in my class regarding how our curriculum is progressing.

TLDR- dont try and shame people for posting an honest opinion of a new curriculum- just because you are sitting pretty does not mean the rest of the classes are.

I don't believe there should be any shame in wanting to remain anonymous when posting critical, yet honest experiences in this new curriculum. The faculty/administration behind this new curriculum have been a little touchy with our feedback and the vibe many of us have gotten is deal with it, this is the way it is going to work.
Dontcomeere and I are not the same people. Is it so inconceivable that more than one person from a class could hold the same views?

The attrition rate we saw was not the norm for a medical school- do not let Patrick normalize that significant of a loss. 5-6 % is the normal attrition rate a medical school sees for a class over all 4 years. We lost that many in 1.

I am not going to patronize the people on SDN and give out advice of -oh really make sure u are cut out for this life! You have all worked your butts off, jumped through the hoops, given up time with family and friends! This was not a fly by the seat of your pants for most of you! To imply that the loss from our class is due to people just deciding medicine just wasn't their thing is comical.

I am sure that Patrick is one of the kids in our class trying to kiss admins butt- But I am not going to sugar coat this for you all. The curriculum Does not leave you free time. You could spend every waking moment of your week working on the material we have been assigned and still not make it through it all, it is simply ludicrous.

Patrick may not be having much trouble seeing he was a Pharmacy tech in his other life- and may be coasting on by with out having to do much of the assigned readings... His experience and view of the curriculum is not my experience, and it certainly is not the opinions of several other people I have spoken with in my class regarding how our curriculum is progressing.

TLDR- dont try and shame people for posting an honest opinion of a new curriculum- just because you are sitting pretty does not mean the rest of the classes are.

Easy, friend. I wish us good fortune in the exams to come.

Has anyone received any II lately? My app was complete 9/5, 507 MCAT 3.7 GPA and IS w/ strong ties to Dublin. I've received II's for 3 out of state schools, starting to get discouraged :(

Has anyone received any II lately? My app was complete 9/5, 507 MCAT 3.7 GPA and IS w/ strong ties to Dublin. I've received II's for 3 out of state schools, starting to get discouraged :(
Have you sent them any updates as of late? If you're seriously considering them over the other schools at which you've interviewed, it would be worth sending them an update with anything you might have done since September and re-iterating your strong interest in their program. Not sure if they yield protect, think there's a chance you might not attend, or something else. An update will hopefully help with the former two cases.

I feel ya, this is my top choice school and I've even sent updates from my master's program in which i'm doing very well and I am also from the columbus area. I've heard back from 4 other schools and not OU ):

Guess I spoke too soon! I just got invited to interview on 2/22!!

Does anyone know if you can email updates or anything? I've been complete since late August and would love to interview. I have an acceptance at another DO school but really want to consider OU. LM is ~70 so I feel like I have a good shot but the silence is getting to me
Hi! You are always welcome to email updates to [email protected]. :)

I'm in the exact same boat. what are the options for nonsocial media people? I don't want to sell out and get fbook either
Hi! Good news is the really important information we send will be in the In Touch newsletter that you'll receive via email. The bad news is that, at this time, FB is really the only place to find roommates and connect with future classmates. The University has gone all in on MicroSoft OneDrive and in the future we might be able to use Microsoft Teams to connect everyone, but for this year FB is kinda it.

I heard OUHCOM interviews until April. Can anyone confirm that? I was complete mid July and have heard back from a majority of schools except OUHCOM. Definitely a bummer as this school is my top choice :( IS also (live in Dublin).

Have you sent them any updates as of late? If you're seriously considering them over the other schools at which you've interviewed, it would be worth sending them an update with anything you might have done since September and re-iterating your strong interest in their program. Not sure if they yield protect, think there's a chance you might not attend, or something else. An update will hopefully help with the former two cases.

Do you mind explaining how can I send updates for them?

Hi preme_10! Yes, we typically interview until mid April. If you'd like to call or message me directly, I'd be happy to look at your application and offer feedback.

Hi All! I just wanted to put up a little disclaimer that while I'm happy to counsel you on your application, it may take me awhile to respond to everyone personally. I've had quite an influx of requests that I didn't anticipate. :)

Reactions: 10 users
The new curriculum is an overwhelming amount of disjointed readings and objectives that you will NOT be able to finish. You are self teaching yourself material each week, and then must report for mandatory class time that is often not helpful and these "activities" require many many additional hours of reading and completion of HW...you are expected to be mastering this material while simultaneously starting to self teach yourself another 50 hours of material that again-you will not complete. You will feel woefully behind at all times and there is not a single moment to breath as after each examination on Monday, you are expected to be prepared for the next weeks material with an early morning quiz. You will never know what is due when, and faculty/administration will not always get you the materials in a timely fashion. Also if you think you will enjoy your break- be prepared to spend the last week and a half if it doing nothing but the material for the first week.

There is not much time to ask questions during the activities and you are expected to e mail professors to get that resolved-good luck getting a few of them to respond. NO ONE FINISHES all the readings so you are left to guess what may be important, use First Aid and pray you pass your exams. Expecting to be prepared for boards? HA! How are you going to prepare for boards without a solid foundation of knowledge? We are essentially treading water in this new curriculum and the Faculty and Admin are not responsive to our concerns- this curriculum is here to stay and it is either adapt or die- there is no other option.

Hi, fellow 1st year at OUHCOM here. Just to give everyone on here another perspective, I find the curriculum very demanding, however can't say if it is any more or less than any other medial school because this is the only one I've ever attended. From what I hear, most medical students at most medical schools feel "woefully behind at all times." I agree that the quizzes the day after the exam are a bit much, but what was failed to be mentioned was the fact that these quizzes after the exam are group quizzes, so you take them with your small group of 6-8 people - it's not all on your shoulders for that quiz. I'd have to disagree about the time in class to ask questions as I feel 90% of the time if a student has a question, the professor will try to answer right then and there, and then offer their e-mail if further explanation is needed.

I also know many students who finish all of the readings on the prep guides and have a stable social life as well. No matter what medical school you attend, you'll spend most of your time studying. The mandatory classes are a bit much (and often not the most helpful), but it is what it is. We deal with it and move on, after all it's usually only 3-4 hours of the day.

Best of luck to everyone applying! I just wanted to offer my opinion, that not all of us find the curriculum as dark and terrible as others. I'd take being here and going through this curriculum over not studying to become a doctor any day

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Hi, fellow 1st year at OUHCOM here. Just to give everyone on here another perspective, I find the curriculum very demanding, however can't say if it is any more or less than any other medial school because this is the only one I've ever attended. From what I hear, most medical students at most medical schools feel "woefully behind at all times." I agree that the quizzes the day after the exam are a bit much, but what was failed to be mentioned was the fact that these quizzes after the exam are group quizzes, so you take them with your small group of 6-8 people - it's not all on your shoulders for that quiz. I'd have to disagree about the time in class to ask questions as I feel 90% of the time if a student has a question, the professor will try to answer right then and there, and then offer their e-mail if further explanation is needed.

I also know many students who finish all of the readings on the prep guides and have a stable social life as well. No matter what medical school you attend, you'll spend most of your time studying. The mandatory classes are a bit much (and often not the most helpful), but it is what it is. We deal with it and move on, after all it's usually only 3-4 hours of the day.

Best of luck to everyone applying! I just wanted to offer my opinion, that not all of us find the curriculum as dark and terrible as others. I'd take being here and going through this curriculum over not studying to become a doctor any day
Thank you for this ! I’m attending here in the fall - the Cleveland campus and I was extremely nervous because of what was said on here about the curriculum. But you made me feel more at ease! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Do they silently reject? I haven't heard that they have rejected anyone yet, at least what I know of. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

This is more along the lines of the feedback I have heard from current first year students. Thank you for giving your perspective!

Reactions: 4 users
Do they silently reject? I haven't heard that they have rejected anyone yet, at least what I know of. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
I feel like I am on the same boat ...

So.... After about half of our 260ish person class failed our last exam people still want to talk about how well this curriculum is going?

So, let's say a student hypothetically had an 85% for the semester and was 1% point below the average for exams, the student is dismissed. The day before classes start. True story, I am that student.

Hey doc_mom, how could they kick you out if you have an 85% average for the semester with 1% below the exam average and you didn't fail the exams?

Hey doc_mom, how could they kick you out if you have an 85% average for the semester with 1% below the exam average and you didn't fail the exams?

I'm confused about this as well. With an overall average necessary score of 70% with the same requirement in specific sections, it sounds like to me that either a specific section was failed, the exam average was so low that it brought a mid B student to a D, or it is just fear mongering. Either way, I am getting tired of the negativity being brought to the forum.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 11.31.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 11.31.53 PM.png
    310.3 KB · Views: 177
But the students? They are amazing. Best thing about the school. The ones who make it through are going to be some of the best physicians out there!!

Because they are making everything up as they go. There is no documentation to back up their actions. Every single person I met with had a different opinion of what was going on and how things were going to be handled. And nobody will answer questions. If you have nowhere else to go and end up at HCOM, do not ever question the curriculum. It is golden and they will defend it to the death, even though it is scientifically proven to not work. It is designed to be able to grow the college without growing expense. I was advised to fight the school but the truth is, I wouldn't give them another dime of my money or a second of my time. You know how confused you feel right now? Imagine feeling like that every minute of every day. That's what it's like. Yes, medical school is supposed to be the most difficult thing you will ever experience. BUT you are supposed to have lectures and learn. Not spend 20+ hours a week role-playing in class and listening to professors from different campuses insult each other. Yes, this happened. The fabulous simulation labs you tour on interview day? They sit empty almost every day. You might use them if you join a club and have an activity there.
I don't think that answered the question...but thanks for the positivity at the end!

Hi SHNONATO! If I'm understanding what you mean by silently reject, I don't believe we do that. There have been students rejected after their interview this year, as there are every year.

I think our rolling admissions process may be contributing to what you perceive as a silent rejection. All applicants who complete their secondary application are given interview consideration. We only bring in a handful of people at a time to interview (20 candidates pretty much every Friday from Sept. - April), so many, many applicants never hear from us at all, but no one is rejected unless that is the decision of the selection committee at the time of interview or if the cycle has closed and our class is full. Everyone technically still has a shot until the very last interview day.

I hope that helps, but let me know if anything is unclear. I know this is a stressful process for everyone.

Because they are making everything up as they go. There is no documentation to back up their actions. Every single person I met with had a different opinion of what was going on and how things were going to be handled. And nobody will answer questions. If you have nowhere else to go and end up at HCOM, do not ever question the curriculum. It is golden and they will defend it to the death, even though it is scientifically proven to not work. It is designed to be able to grow the college without growing expense. I was advised to fight the school but the truth is, I wouldn't give them another dime of my money or a second of my time. You know how confused you feel right now? Imagine feeling like that every minute of every day. That's what it's like. Yes, medical school is supposed to be the most difficult thing you will ever experience. BUT you are supposed to have lectures and learn. Not spend 20+ hours a week role-playing in class and listening to professors from different campuses insult each other. Yes, this happened. The fabulous simulation labs you tour on interview day? They sit empty almost every day. You might use them if you join a club and have an activity there.

As a current OUHCOM first year who is in the same class as doc mom was (and I think I know who she was), I had to make this account to counter what some have been saying. Is the curriculum new and difficult? Absolutely- the faculty is trying to have a flipped classroom curriculum, and yes I can admit there have been some scary bumps. HOWEVER: the faculty is as invested in having a good medical school as we are in having a good education. Thus, things are changing and moving, and it's not true to say the faculty is not caring.

We do not spend 20+ hours listening to professors insult each other. We do not never use the simulation labs. Granted, we have not used them much because we are in the first year. But they are used. The curriculum is not defended by the faculty, because they are invested and want to improve it too.

If you have a 85% you are not kicked out of school. If you fail 3 exams the protocol is to discuss with the faculty and determine where you truly stand. There are absolutely chances to prove you still are invested and still want to attend the school. If you have philosophical and major disagreements with faculty and are not happy at the school, there is of course less likely for them to offer you a chance to return.

OUHCOM has some of the most established and experienced faculty, and this is one of the biggest changes to their curriculum that has ever been implemented. But for those applying, please do not feel that the school is giving up or is throwing itself away. I have had some of my happiest and also most difficult moments here, and it has really pushed me to grow. And no, I am not somebody who is cruising through the curriculum. Feel free to DM me to ask me details.

Reactions: 7 users
To anybody considering OUHCOM/applying, definitely take all voices into consideration. The main point of contention with the flipped classroom is there is a more diffuse directive for self directed learning than many, including myself, expected. Dr. Mittens evaluation is more fair- this semester is indeed scary, and certainly coming off this most recent exam there is a lot of nerves.

However, I have spoken to a lot of the faculty (especially in small group coach sessions) and they are mirroring the frustrations we are having because they want to be able to serve us in the maximal capacity. It sounds like you and I have had very different faculty interactions.

The way I figure it, obviously the faculty won't keep their jobs either if they lead to the loss of a significant portion of the class or damage the output of OUHCOM. So even if there is no faith in their intentions, they will still be held accountable and (whether you believe in them or not) have to improve the curriculum. So I do have faith that changes are being made, and it will be improved in time.

A little advice for future students:

1. You will not have the same experience as us, and you will not have the same experience as any of your classmates (good or bad).
2. A few of these responses have been before they readjusted a test score that the class was stressed about. Their opinion may still be the same, but they might not have commented on this thread post adjustments.
3. Every single one of the people commenting are class A people. You will be surprised who struggles in medical school and who does fine. Do we have extra stressors with the new curriculum? Absolutely. But refer back to point number 1.
4. Learn how to adapt and deal with failure. It is humbling. As someone who has not passed every single exam, you need to be able to bounce back and learn to focus on the next thing.
5. Don't stress about things you can't change. If you are committed to OUHCOM, be committed to riding out the curriculum with us. Do your best to give input, but ultimately try to not play the blame game. I don't blame the people giving their opinions, but I would only stress about it if you are still deciding between schools. In that case, learn what you can and make the best decision for yourself. I personally like the curriculum because I can switch between subjects while studying and being terrible at certain concepts is not going to make or break me on a test day.
6. Also, realize that our school has a good reputation (espeically in the state), and the things that you say can change that perception. You might not care now, but you probably will around match day.
7. Right now, just focus on doing everything you can to make your day to day life as easy as possible when school starts.
-GET ORGANIZED. I'm not talking about schedule wise. I currently have to hop over piles of dirty clothes and have books and shoes everywhere because I've been too busy to get my life together. That might be different if everything had a place before I started school.
-Have a way to get a workout in at home if needed.
-Buy an iron and a steamer, and get at least 5 professional outfits. And lots more if you are going to Cleveland.
-If you have the space for it once you get an apartment, stock up on essentials (toilet paper, some frozen food, drinks, cleaning supplies, bath supplies). I buy in bulk and try to make it to the store once every two weeks or so to make sure I eat a vegetable at least that often lol. You will be busy at some point, and you will not want to run to the store after studying for that long. That's just how I deal with it. I'm a homebody though.
8. Don't buy resources yet. You probably won't need them. We'll have your back when you start. Instead, buy books like Brendon Burchard's High Performance Habits. Or books recommending stress reduction techniques. I meant to read a few books about different theories of learning too, and kind of wish I had now.

DM me if you need anything :)

Hi SHNONATO! If I'm understanding what you mean by silently reject, I don't believe we do that. There have been students rejected after their interview this year, as there are every year.

I think our rolling admissions process may be contributing to what you perceive as a silent rejection. All applicants who complete their secondary application are given interview consideration. We only bring in a handful of people at a time to interview (20 candidates pretty much every Friday from Sept. - April), so many, many applicants never hear from us at all, but no one is rejected unless that is the decision of the selection committee at the time of interview or if the cycle has closed and our class is full. Everyone technically still has a shot until the very last interview day.

I hope that helps, but let me know if anything is unclear. I know this is a stressful process for everyone.

My understanding of the pre-med use of the term “silent rejection” would refer to ‘rejection’ from consideration at any point in the process. Whether or not that is an official post-interview rejection. The silent component refers to the perception by the student. If the student never hears from the school that they are no longer (or never were) under consideration, then that is a silent rejection.

If I understand Ohio U’s process as you have described it, this is what happens, yes?

Thanks for all the advice you guys!

My main question here is about the curriculum. Aren't many med schools doing a similar "flipped classroom" curriculum now and if so, were there these types of concerns when they first started at respective med schools? When I read the SDN boards for other med schools with flipped classroom curriculum, people had a generalized opinion on them. There was nothing about several people failing exams and having too much work to do. Is OU trying to do something different from these other schools?

Does anyone know how often the committee meets to decide about interviews?

Thanks for all the advice you guys!

My main question here is about the curriculum. Aren't many med schools doing a similar "flipped classroom" curriculum now and if so, were there these types of concerns when they first started at respective med schools? When I read the SDN boards for other med schools with flipped classroom curriculum, people had a generalized opinion on them. There was nothing about several people failing exams and having too much work to do. Is OU trying to do something different from these other schools?

Hello November, there are indeed a lot of medical schools also turning to flipped classroom. Ohio state (partially) and Harvard, to name a few. I cannot speak to if they had concerns when they first transitioned. In terms of OU doing something different, it may be that OU is not only turning to a flipped classroom, but also at the same time moving away from block systems into a more integrated patient based way of teaching.

Thus, instead of learning everything about cardio at once, we learn everything about a certain disease state (e.g. heart failure) and how it affects other systems (e.g. pulmonary edema at the lungs). So instead of having a cardio block, a renal block, etc, now there is an acute disease block, a chronic disease block, a healthy state block, etc. In my opinion, this might be why there is a little more of an adjustment - it's a little more change at once than perhaps other schools do (usually they transition from blocks one year, and then the next year transition to flipped classroom).

However, the school is aggressively pursuing improvement and making sure people don't slip through the cracks. This last week they adjusted the exam scores and also resolved some class schedule concerns students had, and Wednesday the dean will be meeting with students to also address questions. I don't expect any (if at all) of these hiccups to still be problems when the new class begins in the fall. Feel free to DM if you have more questions.