2018-2019 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (Cleveland, Ohio)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in the Cleveland location because it is affiliated with Cleveland Clinic.
Do I understand correctly that you are pretty much guaranteed a residency spot with the Clinic?
In addition, the information I have read indicates you must agree to work in Cleveland for a specified number of years after residency, is this mandatory as I planned to return to rural KY to provide under served areas here?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck, everybody! OUHCOM is great. It has a strong affiliation with the Cleveland Clinic, it has a pretty decent match list year after year, there is plenty of patient contact during the first two years, the facilities are top-notch, and the student/admissions staff are soooo friendly. They also have a huge emphasis on primary care and the importance of psychosocial factors in medicine. If this sounds like your cup of tea, definitely apply!

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck everyone! Has someone tackled the required essay question on the secondary application? Unsure about how they use the term "advocacy" here.

I am interested in the Cleveland location because it is affiliated with Cleveland Clinic.
Do I understand correctly that you are pretty much guaranteed a residency spot with the Clinic?
In addition, the information I have read indicates you must agree to work in Cleveland for a specified number of years after residency, is this mandatory as I planned to return to rural KY to provide under served areas here?
The Cleveland location is on the campus of South Pointe, one of the regional hospitals of the Clinic. My guess would be you may be more likely to land a residency at South Pointe (assuming they offer what you are looking for), but I don't think anything is ever guaranteed. Ohio University gives strong preference to Ohio state residents (I believe it said only 8% were admitted from out of state), but I am not aware of any commitment to stay in Cleveland. I would be interested to read that if you can provide a source.

Is the same secondary application for all three schools? Or are the schools separate?

Is the same secondary application for all three schools? Or are the schools separate?

The same for all! You rank your campus choice on the secondaries but it's just one set of essays.

Starting the TCC program with the OUHCOM Cleveland this fall. We start earlier than everyone else.:soexcited:

If anyone has questions about the accelerated track/interviewing/residency matching for the program/whatever else, ask away or message me. :)

My interviews were Thursday (nov. 2, 2017) AND Friday (nov. 3, 2017) - accepted via phone call that Friday.

Starting the TCC program with the OUHCOM Cleveland this fall. We start earlier than everyone else.:soexcited:

If anyone has questions about the accelerated track/interviewing/residency matching for the program/whatever else, ask away or message me. :)

My interviews were Thursday (nov. 2, 2017) AND Friday (nov. 3, 2017) - accepted via phone call that Friday.

When did you receive your invitation for an interview?

is anyone still waiting on secondary? Submitted 8/8 and waiting for secondary

Reactions: 1 user

- hello, I have a question about ranking. If I only rank two locations, does that mean I would be considered for the two?

- hello, I have a question about ranking. If I only rank two locations, does that mean I would be considered for the two?

I only ranked two as well, they try to consider your top choice and may accept you at one campus and waitlist you at your top choice. I know some students who did it that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it too late to apply? I’m an out of state student but did graduate school in Ohio and work here. Is applying in mid September too late?

Was complete in August... Still waiting to hear back anything. Anyone this cycle heard about an interview?

I got accepted Friday right after my interview! So excited to be in the Cleveland campus. I am a little concerned about housing though. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I got accepted Friday right after my interview! So excited to be in the Cleveland campus. I am a little concerned about housing though. Does anyone have any recommendations?
I live in the area, you can send me a message if you want. Housing is fairly easy to find depending on your budget and what you are looking for!

Interviewed today; really liked the school and very excited to get the acceptance call driving home tonight; good luck to fellow interviewees today; don't lose hope if you did not get called; definitely can get accepted on Monday....and still very good shot even after that

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I submitted my secondary September 9th and my application status still shows "application submitted." Should I reach out to someone about this? I figured by now it should at least be in the review process, right?

Hey everyone! I submitted my secondary September 9th and my application status still shows "application submitted." Should I reach out to someone about this? I figured by now it should at least be in the review process, right?

According to the other thread their AdComs are crazy busy. Got a lot more applications than usual. I applied at about the same time as you and haven't seen any change either. I can't do anything one way or the other so I'm just chilling.

I submitted my secondary 7/23 and have yet to hear anything. I don't like the waiting game :(

Accepted to OU-HCOM Cleveland! Between here and DMU at the moment – currently leaning towards OU 70/30.

Was recently waitlisted at both Athens and Cleveland. Does anyone know how this has gone for others in the past? Is there a good chance to be accepted in May or do they have a long list of alternates?

I just got an interview for the Transformative Care Continuum at the Cleveland campus. Has anyone else’s interviewed or been accepted to this program? If so, I would love some insight into the experience.

I just recently received an interview for the TCC program and it is next week! Can you please give me some insight into the program and how your interviews went? Do you like the program overall? Do you find it more challenging because it is accelerated ?

Does anyone know how filled the Cleveland campus is? I'm interviewing soon and listed the Cleveland campus as my first choice

Accepted to the Cleveland campus! Does anyone know good apartments in the area ?

Accepted to the Cleveland campus! Does anyone know good apartments in the area ?

I'm on the Cleveland waitlist but I've been looking at some of the apartments in the area. There's an apartment called The Vue which is amazing and very close to campus but it's pretty expensive. I've actually been thinking about living downtown and commuting.

I'm on the Cleveland waitlist but I've been looking at some of the apartments in the area. There's an apartment called The Vue which is amazing and very close to campus but it's pretty expensive. I've actually been thinking about living downtown and commuting.
Yes I’m thinking about doing the same. I looked at that apartment as well and it is very beautifully but a little out of my price range! Thank you though :)

Yes I’m thinking about doing the same. I looked at that apartment as well and it is very beautifully but a little out of my price range! Thank you though :)
I was also accepted to the Cleveland campus. I currently live in Broadview Heights at The Vineyards. Rent is pretty affordable and it's about a 20 minute drive to OUHCOM. Traffic can be a little much on 480, but in my opinion is better than downtown. Also, plus side is it's by the metroparks and has it's own pool and gym!

Reactions: 2 users
Withdrew my acceptance from the Cleveland campus this past Thursday. Hope one of you gets my spot!

Just got accepted off the waitlist!