2018-2019 Oregon Health and Science University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
General MD Questions:
  1. What experience have you had that has given you insight into the patients you hope to eventually serve? (1500 characters)
  2. What will be your greatest challenge in becoming a physician? (1500 characters)
  3. Discuss a time in your life that demonstrated your resilience. (1500 characters)
  4. Describe a time when you did not receive what you felt you deserved, and how you reacted. (1500 characters)
  5. Give an example of personal feedback in the last few years that was difficult to receive. How did you respond? (1500 characters)
  6. Please discuss the diversity that you would bring to the OHSU School of Medicine and the profession of medicine. (2000 characters)
MD/PhD Questions:

Question 7 - What specifically interests you in the OHSU MD/PhD program? (1500 char)

Question 8 - Please list 3-5 faculty members at OHSU whose research is of interest to you. (1500 char)

Question 9 - Thinking about one of your research projects, how could the results affect the way we diagnose and treat patients? If your research is non-biomedical, describe how it advances scientific knowledge. (1500 char)

Question 10 - List publications and grants.

Question 11 - Please tell us the graduate program at OHSU you are most interested in (this is not binding)
Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Oregon Health & Sciences University School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Here to answer any questions you guys have about applying to OHSU! I'll be an MS1 here this fall.

Reactions: 1 users
Here to answer any questions you guys have about applying to OHSU! I'll be an MS1 here this fall.
Hi! I will be applying NEXT year. How was the app process here? Do you know what M1 and M2 will be like? (Requirements for attendance, doing anything special in the hospital, etc?)

Also, I don't know if you live(d) in PDX, but I live in the area and if you are new and need questions answered, ask back!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I will be applying NEXT year. How was the app process here? Do you know what M1 and M2 will be like? (Requirements for attendance, doing anything special in the hospital, etc?)

Also, I don't know if you live(d) in PDX, but I live in the area and if you are new and need questions answered, ask back!

Hey there! I'm currently an MS1 student at OHSU and I'm happy to field some of your questions!

1. The application process at OHSU is pretty standard. Their secondary really focuses on personal experiences and growth, which makes sense since their entering classes tend to be on the older side. OHSU does MMIs for the MD program and then additional interviews for the MD/MPH and MD/PhD students.
2. OHSU's curriculum is condensed compared to other schools'. While most do two years of pre-clinical learning, OHSU only does 1.5 years of pre-clinical work (August of one year to December of the next year). This unfortunately means that you do not have a summer break. It also means that the split between MS1 and MS2 is a little hazy--most of us like to think we start being MS2s when the new class comes in August. For the most part, MS1 and MS2 are pretty similar. Attendance is not required for lecture, though it is heavily 'encouraged', and I would say that now only a third of our class comes in regularly for lecture. We have weekly quizzes on Friday, which means that while your weeks are going to be full of studying, you'll have a lot of free time and preparation over the weekend; most of my classmates feel pretty satisfied with their work/life balance right now. You'll also have 8 hours of independent study time during the week (a new addition to the incoming classes after mine), which means that your weeks won't feel as crunched for time as other classes' might feel.
3. We do have preceptorship (basically shadowing but much more involved) required for MS1 and MS2 students. These are held at different hospitals and there are many specialties available to choose from. You stay with the same preceptor for a single term and then switch to another a different term. I think preceptorship starts during the BLHD block, which is the second term.
4. We do have anatomy labs, which start in January 2019 for you, but they aren't a weekly thing. You'll often find yourself going into lab 2-3 times per block for class. You'll have to schedule in time to go to anatomy lab to study for practicals on your own time however. We also have histology labs (those aren't required to attend though because it's on a digital program so you can access the slides if you're connected to the OHSU wi-fi) that are pretty laid back. You're mostly just looking at digital cuts of whatever organs/structures are relevant to the block you're currently in and it gives you plenty of time to prepare for the histology portions/practicals of your quiz that week.
5. Since there is no scheduled summer break, you will have to be proactive in finding research and other volunteer opportunities. While it may seem like a lot, it is very doable to do research AND school at the same time. You just have to be realistic with the people you decide to work with on what you can and cannot do based on your schedule.

Let me know if you have anymore questions I can answer. We start our HODI block this week so I can answer questions about any block up until this one!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey there! I'm currently an MS1 student at OHSU and I'm happy to field some of your questions!

1. The application process at OHSU is pretty standard. Their secondary really focuses on personal experiences and growth, which makes sense since their entering classes tend to be on the older side. OHSU does MMIs for the MD program and then additional interviews for the MD/MPH and MD/PhD students.
2. OHSU's curriculum is condensed compared to other schools'. While most do two years of pre-clinical learning, OHSU only does 1.5 years of pre-clinical work (August of one year to December of the next year). This unfortunately means that you do not have a summer break. It also means that the split between MS1 and MS2 is a little hazy--most of us like to think we start being MS2s when the new class comes in August. For the most part, MS1 and MS2 are pretty similar. Attendance is not required for lecture, though it is heavily 'encouraged', and I would say that now only a third of our class comes in regularly for lecture. We have weekly quizzes on Friday, which means that while your weeks are going to be full of studying, you'll have a lot of free time and preparation over the weekend; most of my classmates feel pretty satisfied with their work/life balance right now. You'll also have 8 hours of independent study time during the week (a new addition to the incoming classes after mine), which means that your weeks won't feel as crunched for time as other classes' might feel.
3. We do have preceptorship (basically shadowing but much more involved) required for MS1 and MS2 students. These are held at different hospitals and there are many specialties available to choose from. You stay with the same preceptor for a single term and then switch to another a different term. I think preceptorship starts during the BLHD block, which is the second term.
4. We do have anatomy labs, which start in January 2019 for you, but they aren't a weekly thing. You'll often find yourself going into lab 2-3 times per block for class. You'll have to schedule in time to go to anatomy lab to study for practicals on your own time however. We also have histology labs (those aren't required to attend though because it's on a digital program so you can access the slides if you're connected to the OHSU wi-fi) that are pretty laid back. You're mostly just looking at digital cuts of whatever organs/structures are relevant to the block you're currently in and it gives you plenty of time to prepare for the histology portions/practicals of your quiz that week.
5. Since there is no scheduled summer break, you will have to be proactive in finding research and other volunteer opportunities. While it may seem like a lot, it is very doable to do research AND school at the same time. You just have to be realistic with the people you decide to work with on what you can and cannot do based on your schedule.

Let me know if you have anymore questions I can answer. We start our HODI block this week so I can answer questions about any block up until this one!
Thank you for taking the time to answer! So informative. :) If pre-clinical years are condensed into 1.5 years, what happens to the extra half year? Does it get added to clinical time? Study time for step 1?

Also, I'm a non trad. I have the "standard" pre-med experience...except I've taken a decade and a half off to raise my kids before applying. So, are there any other mid-to-late-thirties mom medical students? Will I stick out, or are people cool with backgrounds like that?

Thank you for taking the time to answer! So informative. :) If pre-clinical years are condensed into 1.5 years, what happens to the extra half year? Does it get added to clinical time? Study time for step 1?

Also, I'm a non trad. I have the "standard" pre-med experience...except I've taken a decade and a half off to raise my kids before applying. So, are there any other mid-to-late-thirties mom medical students? Will I stick out, or are people cool with backgrounds like that?

1. Unfortunately we do not get extra time to study for Step 1 despite our curriculum being shortened to 1.5 years. Our standard time to study for Step 1 is around 2 months, with the ability to extend your test date if needed.

2. You aren't going to stick out at all. OHSU does a really good job of selecting a wide range of people with a variety of backgrounds. There are many people who are in their late twenties, early thirties in my class and quite a few parents to boot. You'll fit in somewhere, I promise!

Do you pretty much have to live in Oregon to get in? If so for how long?

Do you pretty much have to live in Oregon to get in? If so for how long?

If you move to OR and can prove residency (show proof of employment/ have your name on a lease in OR) 1 year prior to matriculation (September 1) then you will be considered an Oregon resident and therefore fall into their mission group.

*disclaimer*
There are many ways to prove residency, I would advise calling and talking to a residency advisor for OHSU.

Edit: sp

Last edited:
Hi @Spaghetti Shark and @rogueriver do either of you know about what the MD-PhD curriculum is like at OHSU and what student experiences are like?

Hello @swiftimpetuous! I'm not in the MD/Ph. D program myself so I can only tell you what it's like as an MD student. Overall I would say that the student experience is generally positive. But like every school, OHSU has its pros and cons.

Cons
  • We have a lot of required things we have to attend and the administration does make sure to have sign-in sheets at those events. A lot of us do not like these mandatory events and they honestly chew into a lot of our study time. Thankfully they're adding an additional four hours a week for your class to study but the ridiculous events that we can't not attend will still be in your curriculum too. You can PM me if you want additional information on these events.
  • Anatomy, one of the most important subjects, is taught not as strongly as it could be. OHSU changed their curriculum about four years ago and it's still not smoothed out entirely still. While most of the lecture structure is fine, the additional material we need to learn, or rather the 'Threads' as the like to call them, are interwoven in our lectures and blocks. And often poorly so. It's not a fault of the Anatomy or other Thread director's fault--they're given a tough hand and teach really well when they are lecturing in class--it's just that the timing is so crammed that it often feels like a completely different block instead of part of the current systems block you're in.
  • We have tests every Friday. While that may seem okay at first, it quickly gets tiresome and by the end of each block, most people are just so exhausted they just don't care about their last exam (thankfully we can drop one test each block so it doesn't impact our overall score too much). Make sure to pace yourself!
Pros
  • Tests are every week. Yes, that was listed as a con but it's also advantageous in the sense that you have information that is structured for one week. Each week will have a theme that you're learning and so it makes it easy to gather all the information you need for that week's test. And because the tests are on Friday, that means that you often don't need to study over the weekends and can instead relax for 2.5 days.
  • Main lectures are not required (though encouraged) and are recorded and posted later that day. This allows you to do other things during the day and catch up on work that you may need to finish. Sleeping in, anyone?
  • Our class is taught in system blocks. This makes it clear on which topics you need to focus on for a few months or two. It can lead to disjointed connections between other systems but for the most part, it's pretty seamless learning. I don't feel anymore behind on USMLE studying than in any other schools, to be honest.
  • It's P/F for our first 1.5 years (didactics) and we aren't ranked those years either. This allows you to all collaborate and it's much less cut throat than in other universities. It also puts less pressure on you and gets you accustomed to what the grind of medical school is without having to worry about being ranked.
  • Scholarly projects are required for each student, except for the Ph. D, MCR, and MPH students. This allows for those who aren't able to join a research team in didactics to get at least some academic material under their belts.
  • OHSU has a diverse and welcoming atmosphere in each class, generally. Your classmates are going to come from a variety of backgrounds and creeds and we're all really accepting and generous for the most part. Like I said earlier, you're going to fit in somewhere.
  • Portland is BEAUTIFUL! Enjoy the weather, the sites, and the locations in the great PNW. It's a top vacation place for a reason!

I'm studying for finals currently so replies may be sporadic but do continue to ask questions--I'm happy to field them as they come up and when I can get to them.

Reactions: 1 user
Super excited to apply to OHSU, as it is one of my top choices!

I don't know if I should apply to the MD/MPH program or just the MD program. I am in-state, my MCAT is their average but my undergraduate GPA is extremely low (I have a pretty relevant life experience to explain it). I got a Master of Science (pseudo-SMP) after that and got a little over a 3.90 GPA.

Anyways, I don't know if applying MD/MPH will put me at an advantage or disadvantage for OHSU. I would love to get an MPH as well, but I can always do that later in my career since those programs are typically easier to get into than MD programs. If you get rejected from the MD/MPH program, do you still get considered for the MD program? Does applying MD/MPH give you an advantage because you fit an additional mission group? Thanks! :)

Secondary received! Same as last year:
  1. What experience have you had that has given you insight into the patients you hope to eventually serve? (1500 characters)
  2. What will be your greatest challenge in becoming a physician? (1500 characters)
  3. Discuss a time in your life that demonstrated your resilience. (1500 characters)
  4. Describe a time when you did not receive what you felt you deserved, and how you reacted. (1500 characters)
  5. Give an example of personal feedback in the last few years that was difficult to receive. How did you respond? (1500 characters)
  6. Please discuss the diversity that you would bring to the OHSU School of Medicine and the profession of medicine. (2000 characters)
@Lucca

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received! Same as last year:
@Lucca
You're instate?

The OOS numbers are not promising, but I'll give it a shot anyways.

People are already receiving secondaries here? Any idea why some people have received them and others haven't (me haha)? My app was processed and approved before June 29, OOS.

People are already receiving secondaries here? Any idea why some people have received them and others haven't (me haha)? My app was processed and approved before June 29, OOS.

It can take awhile for OHSU to process your primaries, so if you haven't received one yet don't worry! It's very likely they're still verifying your application. I think it took me a month to receive a secondary from OHSU when I applied.

Super excited to apply to OHSU, as it is one of my top choices!

I don't know if I should apply to the MD/MPH program or just the MD program. I am in-state, my MCAT is their average but my undergraduate GPA is extremely low (I have a pretty relevant life experience to explain it). I got a Master of Science (pseudo-SMP) after that and got a little over a 3.90 GPA.

Anyways, I don't know if applying MD/MPH will put me at an advantage or disadvantage for OHSU. I would love to get an MPH as well, but I can always do that later in my career since those programs are typically easier to get into than MD programs. If you get rejected from the MD/MPH program, do you still get considered for the MD program? Does applying MD/MPH give you an advantage because you fit an additional mission group? Thanks! :)

Your background is definitely interesting! Like I said, OHSU likes people with experience under their belts. I think the majority of our class took gap years and a lot of them have different degrees coming in--so your masters degree only helps you in their consideration of your application. I would definitely say apply to whatever program you feel most comfortable with, but dual degree program seekers are considered a mission group in their application requirements. See below for more details.

OHSU does consider those that apply MD/MPH as a mission group (as stated by their website), but I am not sure whether you are then considered for the MD program if you are rejected from the MD/MPH program. My best guess would be you wouldn't but that would need to be a question you ask the admissions department in order to find out for sure.

Edit: grammar

Got the secondary this morning. MD/PhD questions

Question 7 - What specifically interests you in the OHSU MD/PhD program? (1500 char)

Question 8 - Please list 3-5 faculty members at OHSU whose research is of interest to you. (1500 char)

Question 9 - Thinking about one of your research projects, how could the results affect the way we diagnose and treat patients? If your research is non-biomedical, describe how it advances scientific knowledge. (1500 char)

Question 10 - List publications and grants.

Question 11 - Please tell us the graduate program at OHSU you are most interested in (this is not binding)

I believe that the secondary application emails go in rounds not one huge email blast. However, that is just me speculating.

Are there a decent number of students at OHSU who are not OR heritage in the MD (not MD/MPH) program?

I don't have OR heritage, but do have strong ties. It seems like this won't really have an impact though. ID resident here

I've got a quick question pertaining to the essays. In the supplemental information - background section there is a question that asks us to rate the adversity we have faced. There is then a space in which leaves up to 4000 characters for an adversity essay. Do you know if this is intended merely to be a brief description of the adversity we have faced or a full-fledged explanation of the adversity, how it affected us, and what we learned from it? Any insight would be great!

Did you guys get a complete email or any sort of email verification after submitting your apps here?

Secondary received. I am in state, Do I have a chance to get interview at OHSU?
- cGPA,sCGA both 3.9+ From #37 ranked university
- MCAT 507 (with bad CARS 124)
- 1000+ hours of volunteering experience in hospitals
- Good recs and rec from Doctor
- REU
- Research volunteer at OHSU
- Currently doing research at local university

I am mostly applying to DO schools and few low tier MD school because of MCAT score, but taking a chance at OHSU.
Personally, I would wait until I had a true 4.0 and 10,000 hours of healthcare volunteering to apply to my state school.

Reactions: 2 users
For the first question asking about what experience has given us insight, do they want us to repeat one of our most memorable experiences from our primary, or come up with a fourth memorable experience that we haven't written about before?

For the first question asking about what experience has given us insight, do they want us to repeat one of our most memorable experiences from our primary, or come up with a fourth memorable experience that we haven't written about before?

I'm going to be an Oregon Heritage applicant, as I graduated from Lincoln in 2015. Does anyone know how OHSU deals with late-cycle applicants? I won't be submiting my AMCAS till mid august at the earliest; I'm submitting a manuscript where I'm first author for the research I've been doing for the last 2 years, but there's still work to be done. I also won't be taking the MCAT till August 9th.

Hey folks~ I love Portland Oregon and I would love to attend OHSU, but is it worth it applying as OOS?
Lizzy M: 73-76, decent research (2 yrs at current lab, international conference presentation + paper in the works)

I'm going to be an Oregon Heritage applicant, as I graduated from Lincoln in 2015. Does anyone know how OHSU deals with late-cycle applicants? I won't be submiting my AMCAS till mid august at the earliest; I'm submitting a manuscript where I'm first author for the research I've been doing for the last 2 years, but there's still work to be done. I also won't be taking the MCAT till August 9th.

They make a majority of their acceptance decisions the last week of April. Out of pretty much all the med schools, OHSU is probably the slowest, and they really consider every single applicant regardless of when they interviewed. You will be fine as long as you meet the secondary deadline.

Finally submitted! I think that was the longest secondary I have ever seen...

For the question "What will be your greatest challenge in becoming a physician?" do they mean the biggest challenge as a physician or while in medical school?

For the question "What will be your greatest challenge in becoming a physician?" do they mean the biggest challenge as a physician or while in medical school?

I took this as during medical school/ residency. The word "becoming" weighed heavily on me when I was trying to answer this question. I figured they could have easily worded it as "greatest challenge as a physician". Just my 2 cents.

Also, when I filled out the secondary last time I applied I answered it with a challenge I would face as a physician and I got a II, so I think it is relatively flexible.

Edit: Grammar

OOS, don't fit their "high stats" mission group for OOS (which is 3.7 GPA, 513 MCAT) -- BUT am applying MD/MPH. Worth investing time in their secondary? I heard that they usually don't give II's to people not in a mission group.

Is anyone else's status still unchanged on their portal?

Is anyone else's status still unchanged on their portal?
mine is too, but it says it could take a few weeks to get the secondary app approved so I wouldn't worry

"What experience have you had that has given you insight into the patients you hope to eventually serve?"

Is this question asking about 1 specific experience/extracurricular (ie volunteering in X clinic) or asking about our experience collectively (working X job, volunteer at Y place, being from Z background)?

"What experience have you had that has given you insight into the patients you hope to eventually serve?"

Is this question asking about 1 specific experience/extracurricular (ie volunteering in X clinic) or asking about our experience collectively (working X job, volunteer at Y place, being from Z background)?

I only used one experience but I think you could use as many as you want as long as it fits within the character limit!

Has anyone's status on their portal changed to being processed yet? I submitted 7/2 and it's been a while...

Has anyone's status on their portal changed to being processed yet? I submitted 7/2 and it's been a while...
Yep, I submitted 7/2 also and was processed and complete on 7/6. I think processed is the first step and then complete once they have your LORs

Yep, I submitted 7/2 also and was processed and complete on 7/6. I think processed is the first step and then complete once they have your LORs
So if I haven’t been marked as either should I email and ask?

OHSU is notoriously slow with the application process. No need to freak out. If you did everything correctly, you likely don't need to worry.

Anyone else having trouble logging in? Say's my application doesn't exist.

Do spaces count towards character count in the secondaries?