2018-2019 Oregon Health and Science University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected post interview. Interviewed early Nov. In state

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Portal updated to hold pool status today, interviewed late September.

Slim chance, but has anybody in the hold pool been accepted/rejected from it?

Just looked on my portal and found my rejection, OOS, no email but said it was updated 1/9, good luck to the rest!

Interviewed late October and accepted 12/14. I'm over the moon :cat:
Wishing the best to everyone who is still waiting; hang in there!

Reactions: 2 users
Also interviewed late October, but accepted 1/9.
Also wishing the best to folks still waiting! Keep on keeping on everybody! =]

I am sincerely hoping that the hold will turn into an acceptance. It's been driving me crazy. I'm super happy for all the people who have already been accepted, but am nervous about there being enough space for me. :arghh:

Rejected post interview. Interviewed early Nov. In state
:( I'm sorry, re-applicants have lots of luck based on what I've heard! So next year.
Did you have a hold on your portal or just nothing?

Rejected 1/9 Pre-II. OOS, 71.5 LM.

Rejecting through the portal with no email is just cold. That forces even the least neurotic person to obsessively check their portal. Not cool OHSU!

Reactions: 1 users
Rejected 1/9 Pre-II. OOS, 71.5 LM.

Rejecting through the portal with no email is just cold. That forces even the least neurotic person to obsessively check their portal. Not cool OHSU!
My strategy is that if I never check, I never get rejected.

Reactions: 8 users
At the interview they mentioned it, I think they said before matriculation. I’m sure you could find out before accepting your invitation at the deadline.

Those things are usually done by students. You should make one and add me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Those things are usually done by students. You should make one and add me!
Anyone who got accepted also got invited too apply for scholarship? I'm trying to figure out if they just sent it to everyone.

Any MD/MPH applicants who have interviewed already? Any who are still hoping to hear about a II? I know they only accept about 7 people into the program and I was curious if they are still filling spots or if they are pretty much done interviewing. Haven't heard anything since being complete in July

Has anyone been accepted/deferred/rejected lately? I interviewed in early Nov and silence since

II today!! Complete late August OOS. Dates available were March 5th, 12th and 14th

Does anyone have any tips for the interview day? My first MMI and I am pretty nervous

II today!! Complete late August OOS. Dates available were March 5th, 12th and 14th

Does anyone have any tips for the interview day? My first MMI and I am pretty nervous

Hi hello. I was accepted here in December and it was also my first MMI.
I think it’s good to know a little bit about how health insurance works and the political nature of medicine. But maybe only one question will ask about that.
I think what I noticed was a lot of the questions were trying to see how well I communicated or could problem solve during an awkward situation. You have less than 10 minutes so try to be concise and not ramble, but also don’t just say one sentence and call it good.

Hi hello. I was accepted here in December and it was also my first MMI.
I think it’s good to know a little bit about how health insurance works and the political nature of medicine. But maybe only one question will ask about that.
I think what I noticed was a lot of the questions were trying to see how well I communicated or could problem solve during an awkward situation. You have less than 10 minutes so try to be concise and not ramble, but also don’t just say one sentence and call it good.

Thank you so much, I will be sure to keep these things in mind! And congratulations on your acceptance!!

I had the opportunity to interview here in late November but have yet to hear back, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I recommend you just be yourself and give honest, genuine answers. OHSU stressed to my cohort that they were looking for evidence of honesty, thoughtfulness, and integrity during their evaluations. The Dean told us not to try to play to a contrived metric. Overall, have faith in yourself - they don’t interview a large proportion of their pool so this invite is a good indicator of where you stand.

I had the opportunity to interview here in late November but have yet to hear back, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I recommend you just be yourself and give honest, genuine answers. OHSU stressed to my cohort that they were looking for evidence of honesty, thoughtfulness, and integrity during their evaluations. The Dean told us not to try to play to a contrived metric. Overall, have faith in yourself - they don’t interview a large proportion of their pool so this invite is a good indicator of where you stand.
Thank you so much!! I hope you get to hear some good news soon~~

Any MD/MPH applicants who have interviewed already? Any who are still hoping to hear about a II? I know they only accept about 7 people into the program and I was curious if they are still filling spots or if they are pretty much done interviewing. Haven't heard anything since being complete in July

I interviewed in December and just an FYI the director of the MD/MPH program was on vacation for a month. Before leaving, he notified me that the committee review of my application wouldn't occur until after he got back (which was a few days ago). So I would guess that during his absence there has been no movement on any MD/MPH decisions. I don't know anything about the number of available spots though.

I interviewed in December and just an FYI the director of the MD/MPH program was on vacation for a month. Before leaving, he notified me that the committee review of my application wouldn't occur until after he got back (which was a few days ago). So I would guess that during his absence there has been no movement on any MD/MPH decisions. I don't know anything about the number of available spots though.
Literally just go an II! :) Dates available in March. Any advice for the interview day? I know it's a mix of MMI and one on one.

Pre-II R today via portal. OOS, mission group, LM 75. At least I don’t have to check their portal 5 times a day anymore... best of luck to those still in the race!

:( I'm sorry, re-applicants have lots of luck based on what I've heard! So next year.
Did you have a hold on your portal or just nothing?
No hold, just looked at the portal and they had replaced all (completed) topics with a rejection notice. No email.

Also, I was accepted at a school lower down on my list so not exactly the end of the world :)

II this weekend! Complete early July (LOL) and only March dates available. Withdrew, hope it goes to one of you!

ok, so still on hold obviously.

does anyone remember the stats for interview --> hold --> acceptance? I would like to have rough percentages. I somehow remember that its like 550 interviews, 10% immediate acceptances, 10% rejections, then 80% hold. From there, I seem to remember an initial acceptance pool of around 200-225 with around 40-50 people accepted off the waitlist. can anyone corroborate this?

ok, so still on hold obviously.

does anyone remember the stats for interview --> hold --> acceptance? I would like to have rough percentages. I somehow remember that its like 550 interviews, 10% immediate acceptances, 10% rejections, then 80% hold. From there, I seem to remember an initial acceptance pool of around 200-225 with around 40-50 people accepted off the waitlist. can anyone corroborate this?
From what I remember, I think you're right! A current student confirmed the 10/10/80 split, and I think she also said up to ~#40 on the waitlist should be safe.

By the way, when did you interview/ get put on hold? I interviewed in Nov but haven't heard anything yet so not sure what to expect.

From what I remember, I think you're right! A current student confirmed the 10/10/80 split, and I think she also said up to ~#40 on the waitlist should be safe.

By the way, when did you interview/ get put on hold? I interviewed in Nov but haven't heard anything yet so not sure what to expect.
I interviewed in September, was put on hold end of November. I think in general it's a good sign that you haven't heard back yet because people have been r'd post II.

honestly just hoping that I will get in. The waiting has been brutal and I don't know if I should trust these odds.

I interviewed in September, was put on hold end of November. I think in general it's a good sign that you haven't heard back yet because people have been r'd post II.

honestly just hoping that I will get in. The waiting has been brutal and I don't know if I should trust these odds.
Yea I really hate the wait :( But I think you can trust the odds -- my friend iterated that it's totally normal to get put on hold, and even though its nerve-wracking, a lot of people end up getting good news in late april/may

Does anyone know how far into spring OHSU does interviews? I'm applying in the next cycle and we're trying to plan a once-in-a-lifetime trip overseas. (Yeah, yeah, I know, great timing.)

Accepted today via email and portal, interviewed late October. For those that interviewed early and have yet to hear back, stay positive.

Reactions: 11 users
Congrats! IS or OOS?
Hi Davis1683,
Thank you! I probably should've provided more info. I was OOS, California resident. Fit their mission (URM/hardships). Never did the lizzy thing so cannot comment on that. Lots of research(no pubs), clinical(paid/volunteer), non-clinical volunteer, but nothing extremely unique. Below average Undergrad, 4.0 Graduate (M.A). If you or anyone else have any question feel free to pm me or ask on the thread.

Any recent acceptances for folks who interviewed in Nov? This wait is brutal

I interviewed late November and am still waiting. I've called the office twice and was told to be patient - it is getting more difficult to do so. The wait for a decision is tempered by my knowledge that I can't afford to go without a very good offer from FinAid - so even if I was accepted now I still won't really know until the end of April.

Anyone been offered any scholarships here? I was told they can notify you as late as classes start if you get the funds, so I am curious if anyone has already gotten word?

Thanks!

Interviewed 11/8. Hadn't heard from them via email/phone and was waiting for an acceptance or rejection soon. I just read these posts today and logged into my portal...

"Decision: Hold 12/14/2018

Since your interview, you have been discussed by the Admissions Committee and were placed in the hold pool.

With roughly 570 interviews conducted over the course of seven months (September to April) and a limited number of placements to offer, the Admissions Committee must put many applicants in the hold pool until they have had a chance to discuss each of their interviewed candidates. The Admissions Committee will be discussing applicants through the beginning of April, which means that you will be notified of a final decision regarding your application no later than April 30, 2019. Applicants put on hold may remain on hold until April 30, when final decisions are made. At that point you will hear a decision of Accept, Alternate, or Refuse. Please note that further updates will not reopen your file or change the committee's decision.

We realize this is an anxious time of waiting and thank you for your understanding and patience."

Honestly I wasn't super impressed with the school when I was there so I'm not that bummed. Mostly just annoyed that they hadn't emailed me anything and I just found out I was on hold when checking the portal. So if you haven't heard anything post-II, I would check!!!

I interviewed late November and am still waiting. I've called the office twice and was told to be patient - it is getting more difficult to do so. The wait for a decision is tempered by my knowledge that I can't afford to go without a very good offer from FinAid - so even if I was accepted now I still won't really know until the end of April.
When you called, did they give any specifics about the status of your app? I heard they told someone else that his file hadn't been reviewed by the committee yet when he called in.

Anyone know if they’re still giving our II? Asking for a coworker (I already got rejected lol)

Do you guys think there’s any merit to writing a letter of interest? I called admissions and they were like “you can send updates but there’s no guarantee anyone will see it because the adcom is so busy”.

This is truly my #1 school. I would be overjoyed to attend here.

Do you guys think there’s any merit to writing a letter of interest? I called admissions and they were like “you can send updates but there’s no guarantee anyone will see it because the adcom is so busy”.

This is truly my #1 school. I would be overjoyed to attend here.

Admissions gave you the right answer. It can't hurt.

Accepted! Interviewed 1/4

Reactions: 10 users
When you called, did they give any specifics about the status of your app? I heard they told someone else that his file hadn't been reviewed by the committee yet when he called in.

They said something to the effect of "If your status hasn't changed, no news is good news - it just means you haven't been looked at yet by the committee."