2018-2019 Oregon Health and Science University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What time do you think they'll release final decisions today? I haven't been this stressed in a long time!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What time do you think they'll release final decisions today? I haven't been this stressed in a long time!
Yesterday it seems like information started rolling in at 9am PST so sit tight you’ve almost made it!

Members don't see this ad :)
rejected in the portal. 2 days before my Ph.D. dissertation defense so that's great

Just got the axe. Portal only. No email. Well, time to start working on that reapplication.

Anyone know when we'll get feedback about what we can change on our app for the next cycle?

I just called and was told that they will be ready for us to schedule a feedback review session starting the end of May.

Rejected earlier today via portal. Also an IS reapplicant. Congrats to everyone accepted and good luck to those of you who are on the waitlist or still waiting to hear!

Rejected via portal just now. Also an IS reapplicant, interviewed in September. This process took some years off my life so hoping that other people get some good news today and that the waitlist moves quick!

Reactions: 1 users

OHSU’s waitlist movement.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Last year it happened on May 1 but in previous years it been mid May

Rejected. really liked the school and was hopeful.

I feel like there might not be movement until next week since we had a week to say whether we wanted to accept our position on the alternate list or not...even though I want it to be earlier lol

I feel like there might not be movement until next week since we had a week to say whether we wanted to accept our position on the alternate list or not...even though I want it to be earlier lol
Yeah but last year it started on May first

I say, if they haven’t responded by now...get rid of them! Let’s get this list moving! We gotta make it to #88 for the best SDN name ever, Idontwanttobepremednomore, this year!

Reactions: 3 users
I think it’ll probably be kind of weird this year because the decisions worked out a lot different than last cycle. It’s kind of unclear what the timeline will be or how much they’ll accept off of the waitlist... seems a little weird because they didn’t really seem to accept a lot of people either outright or off of hold so it will be interesting to see how that plays out. Hopefully in our favor?

Reactions: 3 users
I think it’ll probably be kind of weird this year because the decisions worked out a lot different than last cycle. It’s kind of unclear what the timeline will be or how much they’ll accept off of the waitlist... seems a little weird because they didn’t really seem to accept a lot of people either outright or off of hold so it will be interesting to see how that plays out. Hopefully in our favor?
can you clarify this a little? I'm not really aware of the differences between last year and this year

can you clarify this a little? I'm not really aware of the differences between last year and this year
I mean this is me divining meaning out of nothing, but it looks like applicants were accepted/WL/rejected on a different schedule. It seemed like more people were accepted off of hold, and people were informed of their rejections/waitlists/acceptances over the last 2-3 weeks of April. People were accepted off of hold through the end of the cycle. It looks like- on SDN, at least, which is a self selected population- it went accepted off hold, waitlisted, then rejected over the course of 3 days. It could mean absolutely nothing, but I'd like to stay hopeful.

I mean this is me divining meaning out of nothing, but it looks like applicants were accepted/WL/rejected on a different schedule. It seemed like more people were accepted off of hold, and people were informed of their rejections/waitlists/acceptances over the last 2-3 weeks of April. People were accepted off of hold through the end of the cycle. It looks like- on SDN, at least, which is a self selected population- it went accepted off hold, waitlisted, then rejected over the course of 3 days. It could mean absolutely nothing, but I'd like to stay hopeful.
Big sad

if anything, I think this might even be a good sign. We will obviously have to see how quickly things move, but if they were conservative with acceptances this cycle that could theoretically mean there may be more WL movement. It'll probably become clearer within the next several weeks.

if anything, I think this might even be a good sign. We will obviously have to see how quickly things move, but if they were conservative with acceptances this cycle that could theoretically mean there may be more WL movement. It'll probably become clearer within the next several weeks.
the dream is alive!

also, I've heard a similar sort of prophecy from a current med student friend. we shall just have to see.

There's a chance they could have waitlisted more people than normal because of the new traffic rules as well...but hard to know. Just more optimism haha

See you all tomorrow for another dose of anxiety

Can I ask yall some advice: So I'm currently waitlisted with a number between 1-10. Other than this I have no acceptances to medical school this cycle. I also have a couple teaching residencies I'm in conversation with as a backup plan, but given my waitlist number I do not move forward with them as they require a lot of work (passing the CSET, interviews, etc.). Do you think if its safe to walk away now even though I don't have that acceptance email yet? Or would that be premature? I don't want to waste any of my time / theirs, and i feel like my waitlist number is promising, but maybe I'm just looking for some reasssurance that others would make this same move? Someone tell me I'm just being crazy and thinking about it too much please.

Can I ask yall some advice: So I'm currently waitlisted with a number between 1-10. Other than this I have no acceptances to medical school this cycle. I also have a couple teaching residencies I'm in conversation with as a backup plan, but given my waitlist number I do not move forward with them as they require a lot of work (passing the CSET, interviews, etc.). Do you think if its safe to walk away now even though I don't have that acceptance email yet? Or would that be premature? I don't want to waste any of my time / theirs, and i feel like my waitlist number is promising, but maybe I'm just looking for some reasssurance that others would make this same move? Someone tell me I'm just being crazy and thinking about it too much please.
this might be a fantastic question for a premed advisor, but my thoughts are that prior years indicate that the waitlist runs to spot #60 on average. it would take some dramatic, dramatic change, I would think, for you not to get in with a WL spot between 1 and 10. if I were you, I would consider myself in, and would be celebrating. but I understand your hesitation.

edit: maybe other folks could weigh in if they have actual knowledge about how long it often takes for the waitlist to move through spots 1-10?

Give it a week before making any big decisions. If the past has anything to tell us you should be in by then.

Sadly, I decided to give up my seat today (couldn’t stomach the price of OOS tuition) and I know one other person who is giving up theirs. I don’t know what your number is, but there will be at least two people moved up from the waitlist...

I dont know how helpful this is but on the facebook group for admitted students, there are 120 members. This likely includes about 23 current MS1 OHSU students who are on student council (they left their contact information on a file in the group and I counted the number.)
Assuming all 23 of the student council MS1's are on the admitted facebook group...

Since OHSU matriculates I think around 165ish? That leaves quite a few spots if everyone who was accepted was invited to the FB group and then accepted the invitation to join (thus becoming members and making an accurate representation of the class spots that are still open).

Just trying to be helpful to all those on the WL. Good luck!!

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks! Anyone hear about other people who’ve turned down their acceptances recently by chance?

Called admissions a bit ago to ask about when we would start seeing movement. Tried to get more details about it but their answer was essentially- check the portal. They seemed overwhelmed.