2018-2019 Oregon Health and Science University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
mildly interesting tidbit--yesterday I found out that one of my friends held the coveted OHSU #88 last year. I don't know the alternate numbers of any of my other friends, current or historical. strange coincidence. he's going to university of utah this year, so his persistence paid off!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
...in addition to feeling sick and tired and feverish and nauseated, I also felt forgotten. And there was no easy cure for that.
Sarah Thebarge

Hope we get some action today. #sonervous

Members don't see this ad :)
I called admissions today and asked how many people withdrew between me (#49) and the number they're at (accepted #30) and they said 3 people have withdrawn in that zone. I didn't ask if they expected any movement soon or not.

Also, if you are an alternate you can still get feedback about your app, they asked to call them back after memorial day. They are apparently changing the process to include some self-assessment (I'm not sure what it was before), but that getting feedback has no bearing on where we stand for this cycle.

Just an FYI for those accepted - I called Katy regarding the thing on the portal that says "acceptance packet mailed on ***" as it was supposedly mailed three months ago. They have not updated the coding on the portal however this is the first year that the packet is completely electronic. Don't worry if you haven't received it because nothing will ever be mailed to you...

Just checked and they're up to 32 on the portal. I guess someone's working admissions over the weekend!

are we still thinking this is on par with other years? I am wondering if this is the norm since it does seem like they started accepting off of the waitlist about a week to a week and a half later than usual. do other people feel like this has been slow?

come on 58.

It's lagging a little behind most years, not by much, yet. It still makes me want to cry.
From what I've been reading about this year and the new PTE/CTE system from the aamc, things might be moving a little slower than usual and then in the last couple weeks we'll get a big push *fingers crossed*. If you hop on the Waitlist support group on SDN, you can find out a little more info about what is going on with this years cycle.

Come on 88!

Reactions: 1 users
It's lagging a little behind most years, not by much, yet. It still makes me want to cry.
From what I've been reading about this year and the new PTE/CTE system from the aamc, things might be moving a little slower than usual and then in the last couple weeks we'll get a big push *fingers crossed*. If you hop on the Waitlist support group on SDN, you can find out a little more info about what is going on with this years cycle.

Come on 88!
thanks dude. I've been following the waitlist trends that were posted earlier and it ain't helping much since it really has no identifiable trend from year to year. I guess honestly it looks like we are smack dab in the middle of where they usually are, if there is any sort of trend.

I'm frustrated too. It's annoying that this has drug on this long, but I guess that's how the game works for this thing.

They've accepted through 33

Probably less, but I think it's worth asking if there will be proportionally more in June/July/later in the season compared to last year, because there may be less due to better admissions software or something.

@gyngyn do you still stand by your claim that most waitlist movement is yet to come?
Here's a little dose of hope, in case anyone wants it.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if OHSU initially accepted the same amount as usual, or less than usual

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if OHSU initially accepted the same amount as usual, or less than usual
You've been on the waitlist support thread, haven't you? One of us needs to call them and see if the new PTE/CTE rules have affected WL movement for this year and see if the big move is anticipated in june/july. I nominate, Idontwanttobepremednomore. They are the best of us, make us proud.

Reactions: 3 users
You've been on the waitlist support thread, haven't you? One of us needs to call them and see if the new PTE/CTE rules have affected WL movement for this year and see if the big move is anticipated in june/july. I nominate, Idontwanttobepremednomore. They are the best of us, make us proud.

You caught me...:shifty: it’s making me more anxious...I should have asked when I called last week, but panicked because I’m a wimp.

If someone did ask that’d be dope

• Haha
The portal was just updated to accepted through 35!!

What a champ! I knew I could count on you, Idontwanttobepremednomore!!! Those 3 people from 30-48 or whatever that already dropped off the WL are killing me right now. I don’t know if that was the movement and I should include all three of those people in the 35 already...or If those three people haven’t been called upon yet...Am I 17 away or 14 away?!?!??! It matters...ohhhhh ho ho it matters.

Has the excel spreadsheet for acceptances in years past been updated with this years movement thus far? It would be interesting to see the trajectory of waitlist movement. So far it seems relatively consistent: 1-2 spots every 1-2 business days.

I tried calling; went to voicemail. I'll try again in a bit. and forcetopher, I agree; it seems in line with prior years. I hope this is another example of the idiom 'looks can be deceiving'.

edit: tried calling 2 more times today. I'll send an email instead.

Last edited:
For those of you waiting for scholarships, I talked to the scholarship coordinator and after April 30th they needed to reallocate funds. So there is still hope! Katy said they are still decided on where to give scholarships of all sizes so the big ones and the small ones.

here's what Katy said:

"Hi idontwantobepremednomore,

I am really not sure what this year will look like in light of the new choose your medical school tools. Our CTE deadline is July 15, so we may likely see an uptick in movement off the alternate list that week, and I assume other schools’ deadlines will also affect us in some way - but I’m not sure exactly what the effect will be."

It's pretty much what I expected--an expression of uncertainty. perhaps dealing with this uncertainty is a good bit of practice for coping with the realities of our profession.

For those of you waiting for scholarships, I talked to the scholarship coordinator and after April 30th they needed to reallocate funds. So there is still hope! Katy said they are still decided on where to give scholarships of all sizes so the big ones and the small ones.

Did you need to do anything to be considered for scholarships? Or is it just automatic??

Waitlist at 36. Slowly but surely...

Then again maybe not so surely...

Actually I find this kind of affirming. It seems like things are plugging along and they’re making steady progress. Am I crazy?
I actually agree. Certainly affirming in your position! 81 though?? Still a ways off.

Did you need to do anything to be considered for scholarships? Or is it just automatic??
For the big 4 or 5 they use your AAMC application and secondary essays to determine eligibility. But there are also other opportunities when the school year starts where they send more scholarships and I think those might require additional work? But the ones you get before matriculation you cannot technically apply for.

for all of you interested in getting feedback about your application, OHSU has opened up its feedback process. go to your portal for more information!

they're up at 37 today for people who may be looking at this thread in the future. I actually know who is 37 and I'm super excited that they got in :) Now... if there's a way to make 21 people get into all Ivy Leagues or their dream schools that aren't OHSU... that would be great ;)

Reactions: 6 users
Keep it movin', come on keep it movin'.
We're at 39. I am unsure now how the WL movement will go in June/July. I am unsure if this year the adcom team offered more to people they didn't think were going to stay with the new PTE/CTE rules not knowing how it would all play out, and therefore we will see a lot of movement compared to years past. I just know it keeps moving in the right direction. Keep hope alive SDN'ers, 49 more to go.

Reactions: 4 users
It might be my favorite thing to get on here and share information we all, already have, so we can all revel in the joy together! 43 my good friends. We’re at lvl 43 with 5 more to go for one of the gang, 9 more for another and 45 for another and everyone in between . It’s not even June yet, the suns out, this is glorious.
See me on Tuesday when the number hasn’t moved and I’m freaking out again.

Reactions: 5 users
It might be my favorite thing to get on here and share information we all, already have, so we can all revel in the joy together! 43 my good friends. We’re at lvl 43 with 5 more to go for one of the gang, 9 more for another and 45 for another and everyone in between . It’s not even June yet, the suns out, this is glorious.
Omg every day it moves I feel elated and then when it doesn’t move the world is ending!!

heck yes! man let me tell you, it sucks that SDN is censored because heck yes does not express how I'm feeling.

cmon 58!! 14 more people!!!

• Haha
FWIW. Eternal lurker here, #72 on the list.

Also rooting for a lot of movement.

Welp, it’s monday past business hours. Still at 43, so it’s freak out time

• Haha
The closer it gets to my number, the more stressed I become

I'll trade you numbers so you can relax for a little while longer...;)

• Haha
The closer it gets to my number, the more stressed I become
Amen to that. I was just talking to my therapist yesterday about how it was much easier to be like “totally not gonna happen” when it was at 28 two and a half weeks ago. Now that I’m at max 14 spots away it seems way more realistic, and it’s really hard to just sign off and just giving up.

As an aside- at 49 you will 100% get in! I’m rooting for you and all of us!

so... are we still not freaking out?
We’re on pace with years past. Other WLs are still dragging along while ours is moving steadily. I was going to go with some other pseudo-sage BS about patience and worrying about things you can control...but I'm freaking out also! We're so close, but it feels so far away! Ha, ha. Hopefully we can drop a couple more people each week and we're golden. 14 spots is nothing. We're getting there.

Fingers crossed for movement this week!!

Ugh this is the worst. I know y'all seem to think that 14 spots isn't that much especially with the CTE changes, but gosh dang it I am so nervous about all this. I wish there was some form of resolution in the near future instead of this horrendous waiting game.

Ugh this is the worst. I know y'all seem to think that 14 spots isn't that much especially with the CTE changes, but gosh dang it I am so nervous about all this. I wish there was some form of resolution in the near future instead of this horrendous waiting game.

I really wish that all of this was just resolved way earlier in the cycle...like it's unnecessarily drawn out

I really wish that all of this was just resolved way earlier in the cycle...like it's unnecessarily drawn out
right? Like I submitted my primary application almost exactly a year ago. I can't believe there hasn't been any definitive resolution, it's a long and taxing process and I feel so salty about it too.

The stress was real today my friends

The stress was real today my friends
Amen to that my friend. I’m starting to kind of accept the fact that we really don’t know what’s going to happen these next several weeks, and looking at the waitlist trends, it seems like sometimes they’ll go 3 weeks before bumping up another 6-7 spots. That plus the CTE BS leaves me cautiously optimistic.

Not that it’s super relevant to this thread, but I’ve just been all stressed bc I’ve already accepted a spot at Touro CA. While I’m happy to be going anywhere, I’m still hella nervous that I will be limited in going DO. Granted, I don’t want to do surgical subspecialty unless something radically changes during school, and really am only shooting for a university/academic based residency program. So if anyone can tell me to snap out of it and tell me I’ll be ok that would be the bomb diggity.

Amen to that my friend. I’m starting to kind of accept the fact that we really don’t know what’s going to happen these next several weeks, and looking at the waitlist trends, it seems like sometimes they’ll go 3 weeks before bumping up another 6-7 spots. That plus the CTE BS leaves me cautiously optimistic.

Not that it’s super relevant to this thread, but I’ve just been all stressed bc I’ve already accepted a spot at Touro CA. While I’m happy to be going anywhere, I’m still hella nervous that I will be limited in going DO. Granted, I don’t want to do surgical subspecialty unless something radically changes during school, and really am only shooting for a university/academic based residency program. So if anyone can tell me to snap out of it and tell me I’ll be ok that would be the bomb diggity.

OHSU is my last option this cycle, so the reapplication stress is getting to me.

But you will be okay! I have come across lots of DOs in various specialties at OHSU that are thriving (in residencies) and heard about many more elsewhere! I do understand the stress, but just make sure you make the most out of your time and obviously crush STEP and all that jazz. I really think the stigma is hyped up more on SDN and probably more out east, but not totally sure.

• Love
OHSU is my last option this cycle, so the reapplication stress is getting to me.

But you will be okay! I have come across lots of DOs in various specialties at OHSU that are thriving (in residencies) and heard about many more elsewhere! I do understand the stress, but just make sure you make the most out of your time and obviously crush STEP and all that jazz. I really think the stigma is hyped up more on SDN and probably more out east, but not totally sure.
Thanks dude. I’m really rooting for you!

• Love