2018-2019 Oregon Health and Science University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sorry im late to the party on this but would someone mind explaining what the new CTE rules are and why that is making us more optimistic?

Members don't see this ad.

movement! Through 45 friends!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
sorry im late to the party on this but would someone mind explaining what the new CTE rules are and why that is making us more optimistic?
Well, strap in, because here comes a lot of speculation and bad information.
A lot of people on SDN are projecting late movement this cycle because of the new PTE (plan to enroll)/CTE (commit.TE) rules. So, there is a lot of hype on the waitlist support thread on SDN, stoked by adcoms who moderate the thread, mind you, that are saying, come CTE time there will be some big movement. Because, the PTE deadline on May 1st, did not make students holding multiple acceptances drop them or remove themselves off WLs. So, as of now, adcom teams do not know who is holding multi-acceptances and do not know what is going to happen come CTE time.
But, this is the first year of this new system. So, the adcoms are projecting what they think will happen and I am hoping they're right. One of the adcoms is from CA at a prestigious institution where movement will cascade across multiple WLs and they're saying their WL has not moved as much as years past, but they think come next month, it will.
I am sure I am missing something, probably a lot, but this is the gist of what I have gleaned over the 100-some-odd pages of the WaitList support thread. Feel free to scan it for more info and let me know what you think *only if you give me more hope for WL movement* .

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, strap in, because here comes a lot of speculation and bad information.
A lot of people on SDN are projecting late movement this cycle because of the new PTE (plan to enroll)/CTE (commit.TE) rules. So, there is a lot of hype on the waitlist support thread on SDN, stoked by adcoms who moderate the thread, mind you, that are saying, come CTE time there will be some big movement. Because, the PTE deadline on May 1st, did not make students holding multiple acceptances drop them or remove themselves off WLs. So, as of now, adcom teams do not know who is holding multi-acceptances and do not know what is going to happen come CTE time.
But, this is the first year of this new system. So, the adcoms are projecting what they think will happen and I am hoping they're right. One of the adcoms is from CA at a prestigious institution where movement will cascade across multiple WLs and they're saying their WL has not moved as much as years past, but they think come next month, it will.
I am sure I am missing something, probably a lot, but this is the gist of what I have gleaned over the 100-some-odd pages of the WaitList support thread. Feel free to scan it for more info and let me know what you think *only if you give me more hope for WL movement* .

Ohhhhh okay very helpful thank you much appreciated. Sorry didn't realize all this info was on the support thread, good summary.

Reactions: 1 user
Ohhhhh okay very helpful thank you much appreciated. Sorry didn't realize all this info was on the support thread, good summary.
No problem. Do not go on to that thread, I wish I wouldn't have mentioned it. It's insane trying to figure out what is going on. Plus, it doesn't really do any good. The movement will be what it is. All we can do is wait/freak out! We're SO CLOSE!!!!

No problem. Do not go on to that thread, I wish I wouldn't have mentioned it. It's insane trying to figure out what is going on. Plus, it doesn't really do any good. The movement will be what it is. All we can do is wait/freak out! We're SO CLOSE!!!!

LOL I second not going on that thread...has increased my anxiety/speculation more than I thought was possible

• Haha
Y’all still think 58 is reasonable?
I feel like it’s within the realm of it, but if you knew how many physical people were between you and where they’re at that might be a better gauge

I feel like it’s within the realm of it, but if you knew how many physical people were between you and where they’re at that might be a better gauge
Aaaaa I should probably call but I had such a poor experience the last time. I think I might let it go for now. And y’all are right- it’s gonna happen the way it’s gonna happen and we won’t know any kind of clarity up until classes start.

Cautiously optimistic today. Glimmer of hope. Just hope it’s not misplaced or over exaggerating my shot.

Hang in there everyone! I feel like we are a brotherhood over here on this thread haha.

Reactions: 2 users
Aaaaa I should probably call but I had such a poor experience the last time. I think I might let it go for now. And y’all are right- it’s gonna happen the way it’s gonna happen and we won’t know any kind of clarity up until classes start.

Cautiously optimistic today. Glimmer of hope. Just hope it’s not misplaced or over exaggerating my shot.

Hang in there everyone! I feel like we are a brotherhood over here on this thread haha.

I know how you feel about calling..it took me a while to gather the courage. It will be what it will be. Still some time, but we've got this!

Reactions: 1 users
Team, we're making it to 88, for IDWBPMNO, so fear not. We're in!

Members don't see this ad :)

Don't leave out the sista's and all those in between.

Team, what in tarnation is going on!?!? I can’t take these extended gaps, like this. I’m just holding my breath until July 16th and we’ll see what happens.
Keep the positive mojo going team.

Team, what in tarnation is going on!?!? I can’t take these extended gaps, like this. I’m just holding my breath until July 16th and we’ll see what happens.
Keep the positive mojo going team.

No clue...but the stress is real. Hoping for the best for all of us!

I got the e-mail this afternoon!! Good luck all, hope more movement is to come! (#49)

Reactions: 3 users
Wait no way were you accepted?!? The portal hasn’t updated. If so, major congrats!!!
Yes I was! Weird that it hasn’t updated...I haven’t received the official acceptance letter yet maybe that’s why?

• Love
I am so pumped for you!!!! We all knew we'd get to 49. So awesome!
Now we just need a few more. Who knows, maybe we're into the 50's already.
Now I am checking my email...way too much. New dimension of neuroticism engaged.

I am so pumped for you!!!! We all knew we'd get to 49. So awesome!
Now we just need a few more. Who knows, maybe we're into the 50's already.
Now I am checking my email...way too much. New dimension of neuroticism engaged.
Thank you!! Hoping for more movement for all of you! Of course I got the e-mail during a time when I wasn't neurotically checking my e-mail or the portal!

It seems they might update the portal when the person has accepted the offer and sent in the forms.

Thank you!! Hoping for more movement for all of you! Of course I got the e-mail during a time when I wasn't neurotically checking my e-mail or the portal!

It seems they might update the portal when the person has accepted the offer and sent in the forms.
That makes total sense on their end. Otherwise, you would be constantly updating the number. Just when I had lost all hope for movement, we get this gift. Thanks for the update and farewell. I can't wait to delete my SDN account, you lucky dog. I hope to see you in August.

Long time lurker. Way down on the wait list--but curious what happens on July 15th?
Could be nothing, could be something. Basically people are postulating that due to the new trafficking rules with this last cycle a lot of the waitlist movement will be delayed. Ohsu’s commit to enroll date is 7/15. So theoretically there may be more movement then, but we just don’t know.

Interesting. Well, I'm in the nose-bleed section of the wait list, and so I'll keep this dream alive until then (along with the lottery ticket I keep under my pillow). :clap:

There it is. Updated to # 49. I spoke with admissions today and there isn't any extra info to relay. I couldn't coax them into giving up anything interesting. One more week and the pieces hopefully will fall our way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Through 50 today. So stinking close. It really will be down to the wire I suppose...

At most eight more people for you. I wouldn't be surprised if we got there. If there is movement this next week after the CTE deadline, I would guess some people have already moved to their schools and put deposits down on apts and would pass on the hassle being so close to orientation. Fingers+toes crossed, I need two more, but I am hoping for at least eight. Might be a photo-finish.

If everyone has until tonight to make their decision, I’m thinking by this week we’ll have a little clarity on the situation. But, who knows. I hope tomorrow, but I am sure it might take a little longer. I’ll let you know if I get an email the moment I get it, IF I get it, ha, ha. This is so stressful.

Thinking of you all this week!!

for everyone in 2020 wondering about what movement is like right now after the CTE deadline passed on July 15th--so far, there hasn't been any. still sitting at 50.

• Sad
Those of us that remain waitlisted and apply for next cycle should keep in touch. I am hoping for success for everyone next year!

P.S. If you didn't get feedback from admissions yet I would highly recommend doing so. They did a great job on mine and I found it very valuable.

To be fair- the CTE deadline may have passed, but I'm thinking there still may be movement later this week because it might have a bit of a ripple effect with other schools. Not counting on it though.

I agree with Duck; I actually got feedback from admissions today and also found it very valuable. hopefuldoctor, I hope you're right...

While I do hope for movement for you all I am in this for the next cycle. I highly doubt they will get to #72 this year.

If you guys dont mind, what kind of feedback did you hear from admissions?

If you guys dont mind, what kind of feedback did you hear from admissions?
It was primarily feedback interview. They concurred with my self evaluation (reworking PS, continuing my work with underserved communities, etc.)

It was vague. I was so close to getting in, they basically suggested just reapplying. I knew my weaknesses which they agreed with and that what I was going to do during this next cycle would be helpful for my reapplication. I am sure other people had more concrete feedback, but mine was definitely wishy-washy, for understandable reasons. On to the next cycle thread. Damn. So close. GL to everyone reapplying.

It was vague. I was so close to getting in, they basically suggested just reapplying. I knew my weaknesses which they agreed with and that what I was going to do during this next cycle would be helpful for my reapplication. I am sure other people had more concrete feedback, but mine was definitely wishy-washy, for understandable reasons. On to the next cycle thread. Damn. So close. GL to everyone reapplying.

I’m sorry my dude. Mine was kinda like that from last year. Bummer for all of us. I’m glad I’m in somewhere and don’t have to reapply, but for the rest of you good luck navigating this terrible process. I’m rooting for all of you!

Mine was pretty much the same as Omaha's. My self-evaluation was really accurate so I was just given the key words they used to describe my MMI interaction.

Small room for improvement, but I have taken it to heart and have been diligently working to make sure I have the highest possible marks if I get an interview this year.

Edit: I should note that my GPA/MCAT is less competitive than their average applicant, so that is likely what earned me my spot on the WL compared to a straight A or higher placement.

I was just accepted to MD/MPH through email! Portal hasn't been updated. I know it is a separate admissions process from regular MD, and I'm hoping to hear about that as well soon.
Are MD/MPH applicants also considered for regular MD admittance?