2018-2019 Oregon Health and Science University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you waiting for the II or post interview news? If it’s for II then it might be worth a call. Someone I know who applied two years ago called to inquire on II and found out they need a copy of her green card, just FYI.

I called, I’m in review. All mission based people are being reviewed for interview and she said it’s a long process. My file is complete

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
For those we are waiting for some post-interview news, how many times did you check your portal today? I think I checked mine over 30 times already. XD:D

Like literally 50 times. Now that an acquaintance was accepted who interviewed in October, I have been checking all the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guess none of us September folks made the cut for the top...
As difficult as it is, I try to make myself believe that it’s not the reason but rather it’s because my interviewer hasn’t made it to the meeting to present me. Cheers!

This is a good way to think of it- seems odd that only October people were accepted? Maybe we are all reading too much into it?

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone complete 8/31 whose app still doesn't say it's processed?

Interviewed back in late September and was lucky enough to be admitted last Friday via phone call and through email/portal on Monday. So there is hope for the September folks. Best of luck to everybody.

Interviewed back in late September and was lucky enough to be admitted last Friday via phone call and through email/portal on Monday. So there is hope for the September folks. Best of luck to everybody.
Congrats!

I'm going to try my best and just not freak out about it- easier said than done of course. Clearly if they made a decision I would have been rejected or put on hold, I think. :shrug:

Congrats!

I'm going to try my best and just not freak out about it- easier said than done of course. Clearly if they made a decision I would have been rejected or put on hold, I think. :shrug:

Trying to keep this same train of thought as well. If decisions had been made on us already hopefully they would’ve told us!

Members don't see this ad :)
I really want to call for a status update... over 2 months complete with no news, IS. I know it’s normal but I haven’t heard from any Oregon schools and it’s wearing on me.....
IS as well and almost 3 months since I've been marked complete and still no news on II. Hang in there!

First interview!!! Omg, beyond excited! IS LM 67. Dates are in early Feb.

Reactions: 9 users
Anyone have an idea when school usually starts at OHSU? It looks like it may be late June, but I’m having issues finding an academic calendar

Anyone have an idea when school usually starts at OHSU? It looks like it may be late June, but I’m having issues finding an academic calendar

A friend of mine got accepted last year and she said her classes started in early August

You might be getting confused with the online stuff they want you to go through before matriculating. But class starts early August.

Hey so I want to send thank you notes, but cannot find the email to send them to. Anyone who interviewed who could share that with me? Probably best to do via message as to not throw out an email on a public forum.

Thanks!!

Hey so I want to send thank you notes, but cannot find the email to send them to. Anyone who interviewed who could share that with me? Probably best to do via message as to not throw out an email on a public forum.

Thanks!!
Send it to the email you got the II from.

do they consider non-traditional applicants part of the mission-based groups? i’m inclined to think so based on the website description, but the wording is a bit unclear. OOS but nontrad & complete mid-sept, but holding out for an II here

do they consider non-traditional applicants part of the mission-based groups? i’m inclined to think so based on the website description, but the wording is a bit unclear. OOS but nontrad & complete mid-sept, but holding out for an II here
I'm not so sure a non-trad is a mission-based group in and of itself. There *is* a group for people with great stats. Maybe you fall into that? Otherwise I would think you'd need to get in on one of those groups to get your foot in the door, then your non-trad story may give you a benefit, depending on what it is, exactly.

They are very into nontrads, and I believe having a good story can go a long way here. That being said, I think the person above me is correct that the only real OOS mission group is high stats.

Here is the group I was referring to:
  • Non-resident applicants with superior achievements in academics and other related experiences. For the 2019 cycle, superior academics is defined as a cumulative total GPA, as reported by AMCAS, of 3.70 or higher, and a cumulative score of 513 or higher on the most recent eligible MCAT. Superior achievements is defined as significant experiences in healthcare, leadership, extracurricular activities, and/or community service activities.

They do consider non- mission based applicants but it isn’t until later in the cycle. Best of luck!

My question:

Do you have to have all three = high stats, high MCAT *AND* superior achievement?

Yes, but mission based groups are reviewed first followed by non-mission based groups. This is on the OHSU status page:

“To all other applicants (Non Mission-Based): OHSU screens Mission-Based applicants first for interview eligibility. By February, the committee will evaluate Non Mission-Based applicants for interview eligibility”

Yes, but mission based groups are reviewed first followed by non-mission based groups. This is on the OHSU status page:

“To all other applicants (Non Mission-Based): OHSU screens Mission-Based applicants first for interview eligibility. By February, the committee will evaluate Non Mission-Based applicants for interview eligibility”
I understand the order of review (mission-based first). What wasn't clear is if all three designations have to be met in order to fall under that specific mission-based category. From your response, yes, you do have to have a high GPA, high MCAT and have superior achievement. I have been wondering for months! Thank you.

I understand the order of review (mission-based first). What wasn't clear is if all three designations have to be met in order to fall under that specific mission-based category. From your response, yes, you do have to have a high GPA, high MCAT and have superior achievement. I have been wondering for months! Thank you.

I’m sure the MCAT and GPA get you under review, but I would say anyone that gets an interview or acceptance to OHSU has superior achievements.

II today, LM 72 IS complete 8/29

Reactions: 6 users
thanks for your feedback guys! the reason i’m asking is because i *sort* of meet the academic achievement criteria (prefer not to post details publicly)

this is the blurb at the end of the mission-based section that I was wondering about:

“Accordingly, the OHSU School of Medicine strongly encourages applications from persons from all socioeconomic, racial, ethnic, religious, and educational backgrounds and from persons from groups underrepresented in medicine”

which led me to think non-trads might be included.

thanks for your feedback guys! the reason i’m asking is because i *sort* of meet the academic achievement criteria (prefer not to post details publicly)

this is the blurb at the end of the mission-based section that I was wondering about:

“Accordingly, the OHSU School of Medicine strongly encourages applications from persons from all socioeconomic, racial, ethnic, religious, and educational backgrounds and from persons from groups underrepresented in medicine”

which led me to think non-trads might be included.

I personally think mission based is referring only to in-state people, this blurb at the end is just so that no one will be discouraged from applying.

Reactions: 2 users
I had my interview here recently and I’m out of state. I counted as a mission based. In the presentation they also listed people who come from underserved populations, low socioeconomic backgrounds, underrepresented minorities, LGBTQ, and high MCAT/GPA.
there are probably a few other things that can technically qualify.
But it encompasses a wide variety of cases.

I had my interview here recently and I’m out of state. I counted as a mission based. In the presentation they also listed people who come from underserved populations, low socioeconomic backgrounds, underrepresented minorities, LGBTQ, and high MCAT/GPA.
there are probably a few other things that can technically qualify.
But it encompasses a wide variety of cases.
What made you mission based?

I fit into every category except racial minority.
So if I am understanding correctly, the following categories each qualify for "mission-based" designation:

From an underserved population, low socioeconomic background, underrepresented minority, LGBTQ, and high MCAT/GPA.

So if I am understanding correctly, the following categories each qualify for "mission-based" designation:

From an underserved population, low socioeconomic background, underrepresented minority, LGBTQ, and high MCAT/GPA.

From my understanding, yes. Though I am sure it helps if you fit into more than one. I dont know if some are weighted differently than others.

Going stir crazy. I have a tangential question for you all- I'm trying to find things to occupy my time and mind while waiting for answers... I work full time and am watching plenty of Netflix but I always have a low-grade anxiety about my applications. any advice?

Reactions: 3 users
I feel like I fit into their mission based group and I’m OOS. No interview invite yet though.

Going stir crazy. I have a tangential question for you all- I'm trying to find things to occupy my time and mind while waiting for answers... I work full time and am watching plenty of Netflix but I always have a low-grade anxiety about my applications. any advice?

I started charcoal drawing some of my favorite family photos, really relaxing for me.

FINALLY got an II! This is my THIRD TIME interviewing here... Here’s hoping I don’t freakin beef it thrice over.

Reactions: 14 users

I feel that. I am in the 4-6 week decision deadline from my interview and every time I get an email I get a queasy feeling in my stomach. I've basically been spending my free time playing music and video games, both of which I had pretty much stopped in college due to a lack of time.