Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2018-2019 Oregon Health and Science University School of Medicine

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by Lucca, Apr 21, 2018.

1. snowcrawler85

snowcrawler85 Accepted! Class of 2023

I really want to call for a status update... over 2 months complete with no news, IS. I know it’s normal but I haven’t heard from any Oregon schools and it’s wearing on me.....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    lobotron and inacrowdofthousands like this.
  2. bambicho

Pre-Medical
    Are you waiting for the II or post interview news? If it’s for II then it might be worth a call. Someone I know who applied two years ago called to inquire on II and found out they need a copy of her green card, just FYI.

non-trad-app likes this.
  3. bambicho

Pre-Medical
    For those we are waiting for some post-interview news, how many times did you check your portal today? I think I checked mine over 30 times already. XD:D

flipfloptheocean likes this.
  4. barefootpremedrunner

Mmmm, 30 sounds about right! Hahah.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    hopefuldoctor511 likes this.
  5. snowcrawler85

I called, I’m in review. All mission based people are being reviewed for interview and she said it’s a long process. My file is complete

flipfloptheocean and bambicho like this.
  6. hopefuldoctor511

Like literally 50 times. Now that an acquaintance was accepted who interviewed in October, I have been checking all the time.

7. edwmrk

Pre-Medical
    Guess none of us September folks made the cut for the top...

8. bambicho

Pre-Medical
    As difficult as it is, I try to make myself believe that it’s not the reason but rather it’s because my interviewer hasn’t made it to the meeting to present me. Cheers!

edwmrk and medschoolapplicant__ like this.
  9. hopefuldoctor511

This is a good way to think of it- seems odd that only October people were accepted? Maybe we are all reading too much into it?

medschoolapplicant__ likes this.
  10. hno1

Anyone complete 8/31 whose app still doesn't say it's processed?

meltin0223 likes this.
  11. bambicho

Pre-Medical
    My interview was on Oct 2nd so it’s hard to guess. I hope we will all hear back soon.

12. bean95

Pre-Medical
    Same same

13. FloridaSpaceDoc

my interview isn’t until January so I won’t know anything till well into Feb or March

14. climbrunskirepeat

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    At this rate, we won't either. It's best to accept this fact early.

15. Seborrheic_keratoses

Interviewed back in late September and was lucky enough to be admitted last Friday via phone call and through email/portal on Monday. So there is hope for the September folks. Best of luck to everybody.

16. hopefuldoctor511

Congrats!

I'm going to try my best and just not freak out about it- easier said than done of course. Clearly if they made a decision I would have been rejected or put on hold, I think. :shrug:

17. meltin0223

I submitted on 8/2 and nada.

inacrowdofthousands likes this.
  18. dbilly11

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Trying to keep this same train of thought as well. If decisions had been made on us already hopefully they would’ve told us!

19. hno1

Ahh, are you OOS?

20. GoCougs15

IS as well and almost 3 months since I've been marked complete and still no news on II. Hang in there!

snowcrawler85 likes this.
  21. snowcrawler85

I'm glad I'm not alone, but have to say Go Beavs!

dbilly11 likes this.
  22. meltin0223

Yup.

23. chaua

chaua Pre-med
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    First interview!!! Omg, beyond excited! IS LM 67. Dates are in early Feb.

bullets, S_Guster, 500miles and 7 others like this.
  24. snowcrawler85

Anyone have an idea when school usually starts at OHSU? It looks like it may be late June, but I’m having issues finding an academic calendar

25. PleaseLetMeIn95

A friend of mine got accepted last year and she said her classes started in early August

26. climbrunskirepeat

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You might be getting confused with the online stuff they want you to go through before matriculating. But class starts early August.

27. Red_matahari

Hey so I want to send thank you notes, but cannot find the email to send them to. Anyone who interviewed who could share that with me? Probably best to do via message as to not throw out an email on a public forum.

Thanks!!

28. climbrunskirepeat

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Send it to the email you got the II from.

29. leahorgana

do they consider non-traditional applicants part of the mission-based groups? i’m inclined to think so based on the website description, but the wording is a bit unclear. OOS but nontrad & complete mid-sept, but holding out for an II here

30. stayathomemom

stayathomemom I'm actually at home way less than you'd expect.

Pre-Medical
    I'm not so sure a non-trad is a mission-based group in and of itself. There *is* a group for people with great stats. Maybe you fall into that? Otherwise I would think you'd need to get in on one of those groups to get your foot in the door, then your non-trad story may give you a benefit, depending on what it is, exactly.

31. 500miles

They are very into nontrads, and I believe having a good story can go a long way here. That being said, I think the person above me is correct that the only real OOS mission group is high stats.

32. stayathomemom

stayathomemom I'm actually at home way less than you'd expect.

Pre-Medical
    Here is the group I was referring to:

33. snowcrawler85

They do consider non- mission based applicants but it isn’t until later in the cycle. Best of luck!

34. Talkbirthytome

My question:

Do you have to have all three = high stats, high MCAT *AND* superior achievement?

35. snowcrawler85

Yes, but mission based groups are reviewed first followed by non-mission based groups. This is on the OHSU status page:

“To all other applicants (Non Mission-Based): OHSU screens Mission-Based applicants first for interview eligibility. By February, the committee will evaluate Non Mission-Based applicants for interview eligibility”

non-trad-app likes this.
  36. Talkbirthytome

I understand the order of review (mission-based first). What wasn't clear is if all three designations have to be met in order to fall under that specific mission-based category. From your response, yes, you do have to have a high GPA, high MCAT and have superior achievement. I have been wondering for months! Thank you.

37. snowcrawler85

I’m sure the MCAT and GPA get you under review, but I would say anyone that gets an interview or acceptance to OHSU has superior achievements.

38. PleaseLetMeIn95

I really hope more acceptances go out this week!

39. snowcrawler85

And more II! :)

40. CarmexMe

II today, LM 72 IS complete 8/29

41. hopefuldoctor511

Orrrrr even just some holds!!

ayebaebae, PleaseLetMeIn95 and edwmrk like this.
  42. leahorgana

thanks for your feedback guys! the reason i’m asking is because i *sort* of meet the academic achievement criteria (prefer not to post details publicly)

this is the blurb at the end of the mission-based section that I was wondering about:

“Accordingly, the OHSU School of Medicine strongly encourages applications from persons from all socioeconomic, racial, ethnic, religious, and educational backgrounds and from persons from groups underrepresented in medicine”

which led me to think non-trads might be included.

43. CynicalScooby

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I personally think mission based is referring only to in-state people, this blurb at the end is just so that no one will be discouraged from applying.

44. Red_matahari

I had my interview here recently and I’m out of state. I counted as a mission based. In the presentation they also listed people who come from underserved populations, low socioeconomic backgrounds, underrepresented minorities, LGBTQ, and high MCAT/GPA.
    there are probably a few other things that can technically qualify.
    But it encompasses a wide variety of cases.

45. Talkbirthytome

What made you mission based?

46. Red_matahari

I fit into every category except racial minority.

47. Talkbirthytome

So if I am understanding correctly, the following categories each qualify for "mission-based" designation:

From an underserved population, low socioeconomic background, underrepresented minority, LGBTQ, and high MCAT/GPA.

48. Red_matahari

From my understanding, yes. Though I am sure it helps if you fit into more than one. I dont know if some are weighted differently than others.

Talkbirthytome likes this.
  49. Talkbirthytome

If I get the chance to ask, I will report back to this thread. :watching:

50. hopefuldoctor511

Going stir crazy. I have a tangential question for you all- I'm trying to find things to occupy my time and mind while waiting for answers... I work full time and am watching plenty of Netflix but I always have a low-grade anxiety about my applications. any advice?