2018-2019 Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received.

How are people standardizing their 1 page essay? 12 size font, double spaced, etc? or what

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary!

Secondary received.

How are people standardizing their 1 page essay? 12 size font, double spaced, etc? or what

I am doing standard 1pg 12 size, New Times Roman, DB spaced? I think that is what we have to do? Maybe call the school and ask?

Secondary Question: Describe personal experiences that have shaped your desire to attend an osteopathic medical school whose mission focuses on rural and/or medically underserved populations.

mine seems pretty long. I did calibri light, size 10, single spaced, and even adjusted the margins slightly to make it all fit on one page. There's not a ton I want to take out, but the only requirements are "one page total essay" so that should be up for interpretation right?

I'd think it's open to interpretation for sure. I haven't turned in my application yet, but I'm preparing mine at 12 font of 1 page so I can do a quick turnaround if I get offered a secondary!

Question for you guys; I haven't taken my MCAT yet (yeah, yeah, I know. but I haven't taken General BIO in 10 years and it's kicking my butt trying to study with 60 hrs/week and a toddler.). I'm probably freaking myself out, but my practice exams still say I'm sitting about a 496/497 - with 126-130's in the psychosocial/CARS and 120/121 -123/124 in the sciences (most recent few have been sitting steadily at about 124). Granted, I've taken each practice with a 3-yr old who demands my attention throughout the entire practice, but it still has me freaked out. My sGPA is something like a 3.9 (only 2 B+'s) and my cGPA is about a 3.7. I've worked as a nurse for a year, have lots of recommendations from physicians and other doctorate level professors, was a social worker before that, and was a scribe for a while. I'm retaking multiple BIO classes to get them back under my belt again and just finished organic chem. I feel like I know it better than a 496 and a big part of the lower scores is that the practice tests are being done with a ridiculous amount of distractions, but worried! thoughts? I'm going to take the MCAT this next weekend, figure there's not going to be much change in my score between now and August 9, and would rather get my scores back in August as my application is being verified. I wanted to get opinions from those actively applying though. I already contacted Joy and she said a 498 is fine, but a 500 is ideal. what else can I do? Thanks! :)

I'd think it's open to interpretation for sure. I haven't turned in my application yet, but I'm preparing mine at 12 font of 1 page so I can do a quick turnaround if I get offered a secondary!

Question for you guys; I haven't taken my MCAT yet (yeah, yeah, I know. but I haven't taken General BIO in 10 years and it's kicking my butt trying to study with 60 hrs/week and a toddler.). I'm probably freaking myself out, but my practice exams still say I'm sitting about a 496/497 - with 126-130's in the psychosocial/CARS and 120/121 -123/124 in the sciences (most recent few have been sitting steadily at about 124). Granted, I've taken each practice with a 3-yr old who demands my attention throughout the entire practice, but it still has me freaked out. My sGPA is something like a 3.9 (only 2 B+'s) and my cGPA is about a 3.7. I've worked as a nurse for a year, have lots of recommendations from physicians and other doctorate level professors, was a social worker before that, and was a scribe for a while. I'm retaking multiple BIO classes to get them back under my belt again and just finished organic chem. I feel like I know it better than a 496 and a big part of the lower scores is that the practice tests are being done with a ridiculous amount of distractions, but worried! thoughts? I'm going to take the MCAT this next weekend, figure there's not going to be much change in my score between now and August 9, and would rather get my scores back in August as my application is being verified. I wanted to get opinions from those actively applying though. I already contacted Joy and she said a 498 is fine, but a 500 is ideal. what else can I do? Thanks! :)

practice packs are your friends!

Members don't see this ad :)
what else can I do? Thanks! :)

Scores generally are slightly higher than practice tests on test day! I bet your score will go up without distractions, too. My biggest recommendation is to review all of the biochem/chem/phys/bio questions you missed on the AAMC official practice tests, since I started to notice a pattern between them and on test day. Good luck!

for the health care activities section on the secondary, are you guys including the activities you put in the AACOMAS app or just the stuff you've done after submitting the primary?

also after submitting, did anyone receive a confirmation email about their application being received/payment received, because I got neither :/

also after submitting, did anyone receive a confirmation email about their application being received/payment received, because I got neither :/
I didnt get one until a few days after submitting

For those who have received secondaries, when did you guys submit?

been verified for a week now and still haven't been sent a secondary

I'm like 3 or 4 sentences short from it being a complete full page. Is this ok or should I continue to add more?

I'm like 3 or 4 sentences short from it being a complete full page. Is this ok or should I continue to add more?
I wouldn't worry about it that much. I got an interview here last year and mine was probably 3 lines short of a full page.

Haven't heard from this school regarding secondary invitation. Should I contact them?

Haven't heard from this school regarding secondary invitation. Should I contact them?
It took 2 months for the time I submitted to the time they sent the secondary. How long has it been since you submitted the primary

"An email invitation to complete a supplemental (secondary) application will be sent to selected applicants after the primary application has been received and reviewed." ... from their website. Not completely clear how they select applicants

"An email invitation to complete a supplemental (secondary) application will be sent to selected applicants after the primary application has been received and reviewed." ... from their website. Not completely clear how they select applicants
I honestly don’t think they screen much at all. And they offer TONS of interviews. I think for 2017 the acceptance percentage after interview was only 27%

Secondary received. I was verified 6/29.

wonder how they screen... anyone know?

Yes, at an info session last year, the admissions officer said that they do an extensive, holistic review of each individual's primary application. They do not have minimum GPA/MCAT requirements.

Yes, at an info session last year, the admissions officer said that they do an extensive, holistic review of each individual's primary application. They do not have minimum GPA/MCAT requirements.

So even if I had higher than average stats, there's a chance I could still get screened?

So even if I had higher than average stats, there's a chance I could still get screened?
From the website:
  1. In accordance with past and current policy, PNWU-COM does not recalculate any of the information provided by AACOMAS.
  2. Both PNWU admissions and the selection committee will continue to review applicants in a holistic manner, recognizing that GPA is only one of many factors in the selection process.
  3. If you have any questions regarding your specific situation, we strongly encourage prospective applicants to contact their pre-medical/pre-health advisor, or a PNWU admissions counselor at [email protected] or 509.249.7888

Do we get an email or anything confirming our secondary is turned in/completed?

Do we get an email or anything confirming our secondary is turned in/completed?
Yeah, an email will say "thanks for applying, you may now access your application on the student portal" with a link to the student portal. It came about 2 days after submitting the secondary for me

Is this school worth applying to if OOS ? More specifically an NY resident. 506 MCAT, 3.55 GPA.

Are we supposed to manually submit letters for this school? My checklist still says the letters are missing and has a due date this week.

Are we supposed to manually submit letters for this school? My checklist still says the letters are missing and has a due date this week.
All mine were submitted through AACCOMAS. Maybe contact the school for clarification. They're really responsive

Added this school yesterday....secondary received today.

so stuck on how to do the hours for their healthcare activities. It says combine but that is hard when it does hours per week instead of just total hours. It also won't let me enter more 52 weeks or a decimal for years... I guess I can give a very very rough estimate

so stuck on how to do the hours for their healthcare activities. It says combine but that is hard when it does hours per week instead of just total hours. It also won't let me enter more 52 weeks or a decimal for years... I guess I can give a very very rough estimate

I just adjusted the “per week” to make sure my total number was accurate