2018-2019 Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm stressing a little. I feel like I'm a good candidate for this school but have been on committee since the end of August. Am I just being crazy?
same

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
II just a bit ago! My portal changed yesterday but got the email today! Got the complete email on 8-21. Don't give up hope!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone share how long their app was “in committee” before receiving any info on II or rejection?

I submitted 7/23, complete 8/7 and II 8/21. My understanding is they are rolling Admissions but they move in waves. The 15th is the first interview day, then 9/28 (my day) and Maybe they are just trying to evaluate after a few days of interviews or this is when there’s more students to go through. I’m willing to bet that unlike SDN and /r/premed most students submit in Fall than any other time.

They might also be a touch slower because one of the more visible admissions staff left the school in May and they only got a replacement in August. What a way to start a job; welcome aboard and here’s 4000 applications to read.

Reactions: 1 users
Haven't checked my portal this whole time. They sent a letter in the mail. Guessing that means they really didn't like my application if it was that quick! lol :bang:

I have "No Decision" since 8/3 and don't think I ever received a "On-Committee" Status. What does that mean? Lol

I was on committee then the committee message disappeared and I just checked and received a message that says “supplemental material received 9/13” when I submitted everything back on 8/17.... no idea what’s going on

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't checked my portal this whole time. They sent a letter in the mail. Guessing that means they really didn't like my application if it was that quick! lol :bang:

When were you complete, if you don’t mind me asking? And has your portal been updated?

How long after your interview do they notify if you are accepted or rejected? My interview isn't until Sep 28 but just wondering.
See you there yo! An older student told me by the next Tuesday but that was before MMI was implemented and seems to be contradicted by last few years reports. It seems like 2 weeks or so. I think last year for our date they found out mid October.

See you there yo! An older student told me by the next Tuesday but that was before MMI was implemented and seems to be contradicted by last few years reports. It seems like 2 weeks or so. I think last year for our date they found out mid October.
Thanks for the info! Definitely see you there!

Make sure you guys are checking the portal because it also has a to-do list if anything is pending holding it up.

Between the time my portal said complete and interview, it said in committee. Emails seem to be a day behind the portal and will come from Hope Ennis.

When were you complete, if you don’t mind me asking? And has your portal been updated?
Complete mid August. Also, that was one of the worst rejection letters I've read. :unsure: I can't log in to my portal so I'm assuming that means yes but that could also just be a wrong password. I'm getting sad trying to figure it out so I'm going to stop lol. Best of luck to you.

1. Could you please tell me more about if there is mandatory lecture? How often do we need to be on campus? first and second years. How many people actually attend lecture vs watching on their own?

2. Do you know much about how third year clinical rotations are chosen? I've heard that it is based on your connections to an area. So someone who has more connections to let's say Bellevue, can get a third year rotation clinic site over in that part of the PNW. Would love to know more detail from current students. My info has all been from alumni.

1) Lecture is only "mandatory" when we have a quiz, and even then there are students that just come in at the end for the quiz. There are a lot of students who like to go to class and others who don't like to go and watch from home. All lectures are streamed live and recorded as well. Some professors talk slower so its nice to watch from home later (on 2x speed). Also some professors talk really fast so those are nice to sometimes watch from home because you can pause and rewind before moving on. I personally try to go to every lecture and use it as my first pass through material, but each student is different. We have a lot of in-person lectures toward the first year and then after we switch into systems based learning (around end of October) we start to have things called FDS (faculty-driven studies). These are readings/powerpoints to be done in the designated time slot, but you do them at on your own. First year includes anatomy, which means you have to be on campus Thursdays for lab. You also have to be on campus Wednesdays for OPP lab and Tuesdays for Clinical Skills Lab. Second Year we have to be on campus Tuesdays for Clinical Skills and Thursdays for OPP lab. A lot of days students come to campus for the quiz but don't spend the rest of the day on campus.

2)Third year clinial rotations is based on a point system. You get 1 point for being born a place, 1 point for graduating high school there, 1 for every five years you lived a place, 1 point if your parents live there, 1 point for a spouse living there, 1 point for owning a house (6 months prior to starting classing as a 1st year). The first round is "city" specific. So if you have 6 points to Bellevue specifically you can apply all those points during the first round. Second round is "state" specific. So if you aren't from Bellevue but somewhere else in Washington and have say 4 points you can apply those in the second round. Third round is the lottery for whatever spots are left. That would be if you're from California and have no points anywhere. The number of spots at each rotation site changes every year, depending on the number of students leaving that site.

Reactions: 1 users
Got rejected via snail mail lol. Not really surprised because I'm not from their focus states.

how am I suppose to answer this?
"Combine similar health care related activities and include total hours for each activity."
I've volunteered in different places with different hours
do I need to add them together?

how am I suppose to answer this?
"Combine similar health care related activities and include total hours for each activity."
I've volunteered in different places with different hours
do I need to add them together?

I took that to mean something along the lines of:

General Field: Number of Hours

Example:
Shadowing: 20 hours
Nursing assistant: 10 years+
Scribe: blah blah

You can add more than one.

II! Scheduled for 9/28/2018.

App completed 8/22/2018. LizzyM 68. Idaho resident.

Trying to decide between here and Western U Lebanon. Any suggestions besides tuition difference?

Has anyone interviewed yet? Mine is on the 28th & hoping to get some info on how the MMI is :)

Has anyone interviewed yet? Mine is on the 28th & hoping to get some info on how the MMI is :)
See you there! That’s four of us from this thread interviewing that day.

My understanding from previous years reports is that it will be 4-6 stations. One group activity (at least one year it was a “write a short essay/group discussion “, and while one group is doing the group thing the other half are doing their mmi. Other than suggestions it was a little long, it’s been generally well received. I’ve been told by their admissions staff that they would like to see us circulating around the room when we’re all together and engaging - that they will have coffee out but they silently discourage people getting amped up on coffee and making a nervous puddle of applicants as is natural tendency. What is unknown until someone who interviewed Saturday speaks up, is what effect the CASPer may or may not have on the interview day, or if it will be just one more metric.

Last edited:
See you there! That’s four of us from this thread interviewing that day.

My understanding from previous years reports is that it will be 6-8 stations. One group activity (at least one year it was a “write a short essay/group discussion “, and while one group is doing the group thing the other half are doing their mmi. Other than suggestions it was a little long, it’s been generally well received. I’ve been told by their admissions staff that they would like to see us circulating around the room when we’re all together and engaging - that they will have coffee out but they silently discourage people getting amped up on coffee and making a nervous puddle of applicants as is natural tendency. What is unknown until someone who interviewed Saturday speaks up, is what effect the CASPer may or may not have on the interview day, or if it will be just one more metric.

Thank you :)

Has anybody interviewing on Sep. 28th tried reaching out to the student hosts for a place to stay? I emailed them a couple weeks back and have yet to hear anything. Need to figure out if I have a place to stay or not! Or if anybody could offer some recommendations of where they are staying that'd be great, I would love to have somebody to head over to the interview with.

Welp, finally denied yesterday. No email, just portal :rolleyes: LM ~65, OOS, east coast

Has anybody interviewing on Sep. 28th tried reaching out to the student hosts for a place to stay? I emailed them a couple weeks back and have yet to hear anything. Need to figure out if I have a place to stay or not! Or if anybody could offer some recommendations of where they are staying that'd be great, I would love to have somebody to head over to the interview with.

I'll be there. Not sure where I'm staying yet. Planning getting the cheapest/closest hotel

Does anyone know where the clinical rotation sites are? And what is the learning style, lectures?

Anyone interviewing tomorrow fly into Seattle and need a ride? I'm about to head down to Yakima in 30 minutes or so.

Dang I wonder how many people are interviewing tomorrow?!? All of my other interviews I feel like 3 or 4 of us are SDN users and that’s out of ~20 applicants... If you carry that ratio over it’ll be like 100 interviewees tomorrow!

Any who, if anyone needs a ride to SeaTac tomorrow directly after the interview I can offer ya a ride!

Dang I wonder how many people are interviewing tomorrow?!? All of my other interviews I feel like 3 or 4 of us are SDN users and that’s out of ~20 applicants... If you carry that ratio over it’ll be like 100 interviewees tomorrow!

Any who, if anyone needs a ride to SeaTac tomorrow directly after the interview I can offer ya a ride!
My student host said he thinks it will be about 50 or so people if they stay the same as his group last year!

I have been on "No Decision" since 8/3 when I submitted the app. Wondering if I should call them. Is anyone else still in the same boat?