2018-2019 Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post the secondary questions once you receive them. Check last year's thread in the 2017-2018 SSD forum for last year's questions, they tend to not change very much from year to year.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys im working on the secondary for penn state (they havent sent me one but im working on the prompts from last year) and have a question about this one..

• Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (75 words

I want to put something down and make me stand out a little bit, but is it ok to include something thats already in my primary? I was thinking about reminding them of a good EC I have or my pretty good upward trend. I was wondering if these would be applicable for this type of question

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys im working on the secondary for penn state (they havent sent me one but im working on the prompts from last year) and have a question about this one..

• Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (75 words

I want to put something down and make me stand out a little bit, but is it ok to include something thats already in my primary? I was thinking about reminding them of a good EC I have or my pretty good upward trend. I was wondering if these would be applicable for this type of question

I am treating this as a diversity questions, so I guess anything that makes you unique like an experience that you think not many applicants have works. I am facing a similar problem with the team work question. I already dedicated a ''most meaningful experience'' section in my primary to my significant team work experience, so not sure if I should just reiterate what I mentioned in the AMCAS application or come up with another team work experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am treating this as a diversity questions, so I guess anything that makes you unique like an experience that you think not many applicants have works. I am facing a similar problem with the team work question. I already dedicated a ''most meaningful experience'' section in my primary to my significant team work experience, so not sure if I should just reiterate what I mentioned in the AMCAS application or come up with another team work experience.

Yeah the 2 250 word prompts are interestingly worded. I am going to dive into those tommorow, with 250 words atleast theres a little more leeway with explanations. I feel like with the 75 word prompts I wrote like 2 sentences and was done

Pre-Writing PSUCOM atm, and I had a quick question for anyone approaching the "Please write a short paragraph describing a significant experience you have had working in a team setting". I was pondering writing about an experience I had with a group that wasn't ultimately successful, but was significant in that I learned a tremendous amount in regards to my failure. Thoughts? I also see how discussing vulnerable moments could show weakness rather than strength.

Pre-Writing PSUCOM atm, and I had a quick question for anyone approaching the "Please write a short paragraph describing a significant experience you have had working in a team setting". I was pondering writing about an experience I had with a group that wasn't ultimately successful, but was significant in that I learned a tremendous amount in regards to my failure. Thoughts? I also see how discussing vulnerable moments could show weakness rather than strength.

Hey, im prewriting mine as well. I think that its risky for sure, but if you stress what you learned from it and how you would handle the same situation differently then it could work.

I don't think their secondary change much looking at their past couple prompts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Penn State's classes started yesterday. So it's not like they are working on waitlist stuff. I wonder what the hold up is...

what is the difference between Hershey and UP curriculum? when I looked on their website, one sounded more humanities focused than the other but I don't clearly understand the difference other than that.

what is the difference between Hershey and UP curriculum? when I looked on their website, one sounded more humanities focused than the other but I don't clearly understand the difference other than that.
From what I heard, the UP program is a hands-on curriculum where you work with patients and learn that way, while the Hershey curriculum is more traditional.

I called the admissions doctor today.... they said the secondaries are being “finalized” and they will be released in 1-2 weeks. Not what I was hoping to hear........

I called the admissions doctor today.... they said the secondaries are being “finalized” and they will be released in 1-2 weeks. Not what I was hoping to hear........
Thanks for the info, now I know i can prioritize my other secondaries since I know this one will come relatively later in the cycle. :)

I don't know why you feel that way. That is music to my ears.

:love::love::love::love:

I hope this doesn't mean they're changing the questions lol

Unfortunately I'd guess that they probably are changing if it's taking this long, or they are changing platforms... one or the other haha

Unfortunately I'd guess that they probably are changing if it's taking this long, or they are changing platforms... one or the other haha
Willing to perform some sort of blood sacrifice to make it the latter :cyclops:

Reactions: 1 users
Just a little curious- What do people put for "navigating a complex system"?

Just a little curious- What do people put for "navigating a complex system"?
I talked about how I helped homeless individuals get medical care with a free clinic that requires its patients to have home addresses.

I talked about how I helped homeless individuals get medical care with a free clinic that requires its patients to have home addresses.
Do you think talking about how I coordinated care between different hospitals for my dad would work? We are in Vietnam and the healthcare system here is confusing as heck.

anyone hear anything yet? IS with Lizzy M ~ 70 and havent gotten one yet

"Briefly describe an experience where you had to navigate a complex system (e.g. personal experience, group activity, or development of a project) to achieve an end. Reflect on the qualities and attributes required by you to achieve success in this experience. (Maximum 250 words)"
I mean, I keep starting to write this one, but I can only think of the time I got lost in IKEA...

Reactions: 11 users
"Briefly describe an experience where you had to navigate a complex system (e.g. personal experience, group activity, or development of a project) to achieve an end. Reflect on the qualities and attributes required by you to achieve success in this experience. (Maximum 250 words)"
I mean, I keep starting to write this one, but I can only think of the time I got lost in IKEA...
LOL i just talked about how i moved to a new country and everything was different from the place where i used to live so i hope this is considered navigating a complex system.

PSU is really taking their time this year huh? We are!! Waiting for our secondaries!!

Reactions: 1 users
anyone in this thread seen a secondary? seems so delayed!

A family friend is on the adcom here and said they hadn't even met yet. They are def a later school