2018-2019 Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody who interviewed early November heard back yet ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering the same - are we supposed to hear back before the break or will it be next year?

They said 6-8 weeks during my interview (first week of November), but I feel like everything is pushed back. Hoping for some good news soon!

Reactions: 1 user
If accepted to an accelerated program, (EM, Family Med, Neurosurgery, etc.), Anyone know if you can apply/ accept a residency match to programs outside of Penn State? Or (upon satisfactory completion of all requirements) you must matriculate to Penn State's residency program

If accepted to an accelerated program, (EM, Family Med, Neurosurgery, etc.), Anyone know if you can apply/ accept a residency match to programs outside of Penn State? Or (upon satisfactory completion of all requirements) you must matriculate to Penn State's residency program

First, I am not a student here (hoping for II right now) but I did speak with the head of the neurosurgery accelerated pathway and asked this very question.
In other words, please feel free to fact check me, as I am pulling from the limited knowledge of 2-3 conversations.

When I talked to Dr.Dias, he explained that the program can “part ways” from you (no idea what would lead them to discharging you from the program) and you can part ways from it at any point. If this happens, you just shift into the normal MD track. The reason that this is relevant to the question is because if you stick with an accelerated pathway, you are slated to complete your residency at Penn State.
At least in the way that I understood it, if you want to apply to more than Penn State’s residency then you will forfeit your “guaranteed” residency for Penn State because you would essentially be leaving the accelerated pathway.

Honestly, if I were you I would reach out to the program that you are interested in. Dr.Dias was an amazing person to talk to and more than happy to answer my questions despite the fact that, at that point, I had just submitted my primary! Also, their input is probably more valuable than mine

Also, if anyone has information that contradicts this information I will happily edit

Last edited:
First, I am not a student here (hoping for II right now) but I did speak with the head of the neurosurgery accelerated pathway and asked this very question.
In other words, please feel free to fact check me, as I am pulling from the limited knowledge of 2-3 conversations.

When I talked to Dr.Dias, he explained that the program can “part ways” from you (no idea what would lead them to discharging you from the program) and you can part ways from it at any point. If this happens, you just shift into the normal MD track. The reason that this is relevant to the question is because if you stick with an accelerated pathway, you are slated to complete your residency at Penn State.
At least in the way that I understood it, if you want to apply to more than Penn State’s residency then you will forfeit your “guaranteed” residency for Penn State because you would essentially be leaving the accelerated pathway.

Honestly, if I were you I would reach out to the program that you are interested in. Dr.Dias was an amazing person to talk to and more than happy to answer my questions despite the fact that, at that point, I had just submitted my primary! Also, their input is probably more valuable than mine

Also, if anyone has information that contradicts this information I will happily edit
I’m a current first year and you are correct!

Placed on pre-II hold on 11/13. App was complete early August. OOS, LizzyM ~70. Sounds like this is a soft R according to the thread?

You wouldn’t happen to be in an accelerated pathway would you? :)
I still have questions that are more student directed haha

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
I am not but I explored them and have friends in almost all of them! Feel free to send me a direct message with your questions and if I don’t know the answers I can reach out to some people that would.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone emailed to ask about whether or not there is a tier or ranking on hold?

Placed on hold, complete early August

Sorry to hear it, at least there is still hope! (Not a rejection)
Did you get the email today?
Also, if you don’t mind, what is your LizzieM score?

Sorry to hear it, at least there is still hope! (Not a rejection)
Did you get the email today?
Also, if you don’t mind, what is your LizzieM score?
Hope is alive! Email was today, LM ~75

Has anyone heard anything back after being put on "Hold-continue to review"?

Has anyone heard anything back after being put on "Hold-continue to review"?
I checked through last years thread, seems like the trend is that they re-review starting March.

Lastly, as upset as I am being on hold pre-II as well, it seems like not many people get off the hold. It’s basically a soft rejection with a very very small chance of II. I had hope, but not anymore lol. My advice, just forget about this school and move on. Maybe they’ll surprise you, but having no hope is way better than having false hope.

See you all in March y’all.

Sorry to be that person, but does this school accept updates?

Early August. I think it was around 7th if I remember correctly. I'm OOS but have family in the area so I'm super excited about this!

Awesome, congrats!! Did you receive an on-hold email, or was your II the first contact you’ve had since your app was complete? Sorry for asking I’m just still a little hazy on how their system works.

Awesome, congrats!! Did you receive an on-hold email, or was your II the first contact you’ve had since your app was complete? Sorry for asking I’m just still a little hazy on how their system works.
This was first contact. Looking through last years thread people placed on hold that ended up getting II didn’t get theirs until March.

How do we do a transcript update? Do we send an unofficial transcript to the admission email with updated fall grades?
I emailed them my latest transcript and received an automated reply about how they wouldn’t accept any updates unless it was a transcript. I’m honestly confused??

I emailed them my latest transcript and received an automated reply about how they wouldn’t accept any updates unless it was a transcript. I’m honestly confused??

Lol you’re fine. It’s an automated message.

II Today, scheduled for early Feb, I was wondering how people have been traveling into the area. Direct flights are a bit pricy, but all of the surrounding cities are a bit far (about 2 hrs closest).

II Today, scheduled for early Feb, I was wondering how people have been traveling into the area. Direct flights are a bit pricy, but all of the surrounding cities are a bit far (about 2 hrs closest).

Congrats! When were you complete?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Accepted today!!!!! II at the end of October.

Reactions: 3 users

I used Priceline and got a decent deal (<$300 round trip). I flew United and had a layover in Dulles before flying into Harrisburg. My student host was super nice and offered to pick up and drop off at the airport.

Anybody with a November interview been rejected, waitlisted, or accepted yet ?

Does anyone know if this school soft-rejects? Complete early August but still waiting in the dark

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if this school soft-rejects? Complete early August but still waiting in the dark
+1. A few people in this thread have mentioned rejections, so it’s really weird. People have been getting rejected, put on hold, IIs and accepted. And then there we are stuck with silence...

Reactions: 2 users
+1. A few people in this thread have mentioned rejections, so it’s really weird. People have been getting rejected, put on hold, IIs and accepted. And then there we are stuck with silence...
+2, I was complete early September and nothing since then

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody with a November interview been rejected, waitlisted, or accepted yet ?

I interviewed mid-November and was accepted yesterday, so it looked like they might jump around making decisions. On my interview day they said with the holidays to not expect a response until January, so don’t be concerned!

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone complete end of july still on radio silence?

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone who has interviewed in early October not hear back yet?

Last edited:
did anyone get an e-mail about the 3+ program teleconference? I've interviewed and have expressed interest in this program

I was complete mid August. Radio silence since :(

Reactions: 5 users