2018-2019 Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No, no one who regularly posts here has gotten a post- pre-II hold - II in this application cycle. That, of course, doesn't mean it hasn't happened since not all of the applicant pool regularly posts here. But if you take the time to look at previous cycles, particularly after January, you will see people who did receive such an II. As far as we know, the only designations for applicants (and that we have already seen this cycle) are outright Rs, pre-II holds, IIs, (I'm not recalling seeing it, but surely) rejections, post-II holds, and acceptances. The pre-II hold is also know as the "Continue to Review" category.

Reading the website:

MD Program - Admission and Interview Process - Penn State College of Medicine , under "Application review" tab:

"Applicants judged to be most qualified are invited for an interview. Other highly competitive applicants may be placed on a hold list and may be invited for interview at a later time if space becomes available."

It's implied here that the latter category, the highly competitive applicants (still, congrats!, you are competitive!) may be called to an interview. We don't know the exact percentage of the applicant pool on this list and we can't use the same 20-30 people who post on here as a means to divine how the committee is handling the nearly 8k applications they receive. If you have a pre-II hold, you still do have a shot, but the probability of receiving one is completely unknown, and likely lower than that of an II to acceptance conversion. Don't pack up to go home, but don't pack the stethoscope either.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
9 weeks post-interview and not a single word...anyone else from early November heard back yet ?

II 1/3, Complete 8/12, interviewing Feb 6, no hold

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got an interview invite yesterday after a long while of waiting! LizzyM 68-70, OOS

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Put on hold today...doesn’t bode too well for me. Complete August/September ish, OOS, stats in signature. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
On Hold yesterday late. Complete early August. Will withdraw - I like to think that this will help others somehow lol

Also received an email that I am on hold this morning

Reactions: 1 users

+1
Double yikes!

Perhaps they filled all their slots?
Who knows, but to those placed on hold I wish you all the best of luck. It’s not over till it’s over, and may the odds be ever in your favor!

Reactions: 1 user
+1
Double yikes!

Perhaps they filled all their slots?
Who knows, but to those placed on hold I wish you all the best of luck. It’s not over till it’s over, and may the odds be ever in your favor!
Meanwhile I was complete a whole month after everyone placed on hold. I hope there are still spots

II this morning OOS LM 71 complete 8/11 no hold.

Reactions: 6 users
Post interview hold today. Is this basically a waitlist? Where does this put me in chances of getting in?

Post interview hold. Interviewed in late October.

Post interview hold today. Is this basically a waitlist? Where does this put me in chances of getting in?
Based on last years thread, everyone not accepted post interview was placed on hold and then they pulled people from that list for acceptances. Unless it’s changed, it’s a waitlist but a waitlist with a hell of a lot of people

Placed on hold this morning. Interviewed at the end of October

Just got on Pre-II Hold a couple of days ago. Complete back in summer =(

Was also placed on a pre-II hold a couple days ago. Not distraught but I do really like this school (it'd probably be my top choice). Does anyone know how receptive they are to updates/letters of intent?
Unfortunately no activity updates (100% positive). Just grades (?) and any violations.

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you who were accepted and paid the deposit, did anyone else receive an email with student orientation survey, but get an invalid address page?

Pre-II hold this morning, complete back in August. Anyone know if this is basically a soft-rejection like it is with other schools (Drexel, UCSD, etc.)?

Pre-II hold this morning, complete back in August. Anyone know if this is basically a soft-rejection like it is with other schools (Drexel, UCSD, etc.)?

Last year people got IIs in February and March after being on hold.

Was the hold via email or portal? Thanks!

Pre-II hold today. I don't know if that's great news, but I thought the silence was a soft-rejection, so its definitely better than that.