2018-2019 Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why would they even give out pre-II holds at this point in the cycle? :yeahright: Has anybody received a Rejection lately?

Reactions: 5 users
Why would they even give out pre-II holds at this point in the cycle? :yeahright: Has anybody received a Rejection lately?

I think they're giving these holds to everyone now.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any chance of getting off thin pre-II hold? LizzyM 71

Seems very slim. Last year people started getting off mid-March from what I can remember seeing. Might I add the numbers were few (counting only those who posted of course).

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone here that hasn't received any updates? - no hold, no interview? I submitted my secondary the day it came out, has been nothing but silence from them.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone here that hasn't received any updates? - no hold, no interview? I submitted my secondary the day it came out, has been nothing but silence from them.

Yep there are a bunch of us. In my case, complete since early August w no correspondence since. Someone posted a few days ago that they called the office--apparently they have lots of apps still to review.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep there are a bunch of us. In my case, complete since early August w no correspondence since. Someone posted a few days ago that they called the office--apparently they have lots of apps still to review.

did they mention that they were going through the apps for the first time? I'd imagine they would do multiple reviews by now for the people complete in august.

I'm also on pre-II hold and wondering if I still have a chance. I hope they get back to us with some good news, although realistically I know chances are slim now.

I'm also on pre-II hold and wondering if I still have a chance. I hope they get back to us with some good news, although realistically I know chances are slim now.
Honestly, I just want them to make a decision (even if it is a rejection) and not leave us hanging till the very last minute....

Reactions: 4 users
did they mention that they were going through the apps for the first time? I'd imagine they would do multiple reviews by now for the people complete in august.

Yeah I'd think so too, but dunno for sure. Here's what the poster said:

talked with admissions office, said they still have a lot of apps to look over. She said at the latest they will send out invites in early march for late march interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any idea how competitive each unique curriculum is to get into? The University Park and Accelerated Pathway's.

I have a broad question that someone may be able to answer here if they’ve been in this spot before. I am waitlisted at a US school and possibly here (still waiting to hear back post-interview) but am accepted to one carribean school. Assuming I might hold two US waitlists and one carribean acceptance by the April 30 deadline, I was wondering what to do if I don’t hear back from the waitlist on or before the April 30 deadline. I obviously will want to wait out my US waitlist options after April 30, but going to the Caribbean school is a real possibility at this point and I’m not sure if I’m allowed to keep all three options open until I hear from the waitlists. Does this make sense?

I have a broad question that someone may be able to answer here if they’ve been in this spot before. I am waitlisted at a US school and possibly here (still waiting to hear back post-interview) but am accepted to one carribean school. Assuming I might hold two US waitlists and one carribean acceptance by the April 30 deadline, I was wondering what to do if I don’t hear back from the waitlist on or before the April 30 deadline. I obviously will want to wait out my US waitlist options after April 30, but going to the Caribbean school is a real possibility at this point and I’m not sure if I’m allowed to keep all three options open until I hear from the waitlists. Does this make sense?
If I am understanding your question correctly, you can accept your position at the Caribbean school come April 30 and if you are accepted at either of your WL schools after, withdraw from your Caribbean school and accept one of those instead.

Reactions: 1 user
Please do not go to a Caribbean school. Please strongly reconsider

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Completed 9/13, on pre-II hold since Feb. 1. I think last year they started to send out interviews for pre-II hold people in Feb, up until March 20.

3.6 ugGPA, 3.9 SMP GPA, 508, non-trad and international. I just feel like it's pretty much impossible now. This is my second cycle already. Applied to 20 schools and rejected by 14 already. The dread:arghh::arghh::arghh:

Reactions: 7 users
Completed 9/13, on pre-II hold since Feb. 1. I think last year they started to send out interviews for pre-II hold people in Feb, up until March 20.

3.6 ugGPA, 3.9 SMP GPA, 508, non-trad and international. I just feel like it's pretty much impossible now. This is my second cycle already. Applied to 20 schools and rejected by 14 already. The dread:arghh::arghh::arghh:
Consider applying DO?

Reactions: 3 users
If I am understanding your question correctly, you can accept your position at the Caribbean school come April 30 and if you are accepted at either of your WL schools after, withdraw from your Caribbean school and accept one of those instead.
Yes, exactly, ok cool thank you. And for everyone saying don’t attend a carribean school, obviously it’s not what I want and I’m strongly considering not matriculating even if it’s my only option, don’t get all worked up.

Pre II hold...completed mid September

Does anyone know what the step 1 score averages are for the past couple years?

Does anyone know what the step 1 score averages are for the past couple years?

Someone asked this on my interview day. I believe they said “above average”, but they also said that b/c we are being transitioned into the new curriculum (step 1 after first year of clinical) the new step 1 average is predicted to be higher (based on average score jumps during similar curricular changes at columbia, upenn, nyu, i think?) We are only the second or third class to have the new curriculum, so its unclear what the step 1 average score will look like.

Someone asked this on my interview day. I believe they said “above average”, but they also said that b/c we are being transitioned into the new curriculum (step 1 after first year of clinical) the new step 1 average is predicted to be higher (based on average score jumps during similar curricular changes at columbia, upenn, nyu, i think?) We are only the second or third class to have the new curriculum, so its unclear what the step 1 average score will look like.
Has the class above you taken step 1 yet?

Is it worth calling or emailing to kindly ask about our status at this point if we’ve been in silence for 8 months?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but post-II decisions seem to come 8-12 weeks later and usually at the beginning of each month right? And I’ve heard, especially for OOS, getting a hold/WL is fairly common and there is significant movement on this list.

Interviewed early January and hoping for a March 1st release.

Last edited:
Correct me if I’m wrong, but post-II decisions seem to come 8-12 weeks later and usually at the beginning of each month right? And I’ve heard, especially for OOS, getting a hold/WL is fairly common and there is significant movement on this list.

Interviewed 01/11 and hoping for a March 1st release.
Where did you hear this? (about a common OOS hold/waitlist and significant movement)

Where did you hear this? (about a common OOS hold/waitlist and significant movement)

Oh totally word of mouth, a fellow interview candidate told me this so I can’t speak to any sort of validity in that. Was hoping somebody else had seen a similar trend in years past. Just now getting around to updating myself on PSU stuff as this is now officially my last chance.

Oh totally word of mouth, a fellow interview candidate told me this so I can’t speak to any sort of validity in that. Was hoping somebody else had seen a similar trend in years past. Just now getting around to updating myself on PSU stuff as this is now officially my last chance.
Hopefully that person was right! Keep your head up! :)

Is it worth calling or emailing to kindly ask about our status at this point if we’ve been in silence for 8 months?

Perhaps coincidence but sent a friendly email to a few schools this morning asking for status update/if they plan to interview into March. One got back to me with an II. Doesn't hurt to ask!

For those that sent thank you emails to interviewers, did they reply to your thank you note?

For those that sent thank you emails to interviewers, did they reply to your thank you note?

They did not, and without directly receiving the email addresses from them, I have definitely been concerned about if they were received or not.

I also entirely forgot about the post-II survey until very recently. Not sure if this will influence anything, but it totally slipped my mind. Bringing this up in case there are others like me.

They did not, and without directly receiving the email addresses from them, I have definitely been concerned about if they were received or not.

I also entirely forgot about the post-II survey until very recently. Not sure if this will influence anything, but it totally slipped my mind. Bringing this up in case there are others like me.
Yeah I had to search both of my interviewers emails and they didn’t respond, but I also emailed the presenter a very short note just to be nice and she responded quickly and kindly (got her email from the same search i used to find my interviews), so that gives me hope that I found the right emails at least.

II just now! March 4, 8, & 13 open for interviews, dream school !!

Reactions: 8 users