2018-2019 Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The wording of the email is very convoluted. Lol. So we can gain admission until April 30th but if not, we’re on the waitlist? Or this is like our final waitlist decision?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The wording of the email is very convoluted. Lol. So we can gain admission until April 30th but if not, we’re on the waitlist? Or this is like our final waitlist decision?
Sort of yeah, it’s like they’ll keep considering you (against other applicants) till the 30th, then after that’s it’s WL

Just withdrew my acceptance. Hope it goes to one of you still waiting!!

Reactions: 4 users
Here are brief answers to the questions a student posted above- if anyone has any questions outside of these or wants me to expand, send me a message!
I'm a non-traditional student,how do you feel like you fit in with the class?
-It depends how you define a traditional student. A good percentage of my class has taken at least one year off before matriculating. There are less that have taken 3+ years off but by no means are they small population. The people who took a few years off do not feel isolated or out of place. I took one year off but still consider myself a traditional student. I don't think we have a younger class than any other medical school but I do not have any data backing this up, just pure speculation thinking through who is in my class.
-My friend who took 3 years off would be happy to speak with anyone who is worried about being non-traditional. There are also students in my class who have a family if anyone is interested in speaking with them.

How do you like living in Hershey? Do you feel bored because it's such a small town?
-I grew up about 40 minutes away so I was not really concerned about living in Hershey. I will say I am really enjoying it. Last year I was living in DC and spending so much money on rent and groceries. In Hershey, everything is so affordable which is a breath of fresh air coming from DC (important to me because I had to take out loans for medical school so saving as much as possible is great). If you like the outdoors, there is a ton of hiking and biking trails. We are about 20 minutes from Harrisburg where you can explore different restaurants and there are many breweries in the area. However, we study most of the time so you don't need to be out and about all of the time. After exams, people usually take a trip somewhere because we are close to a lot of cities and it is nice to get away from the med center.

Do you feel like you are exposed to enough diversity?
-Here is a little chart the office of diversity shared with the students at second look day
View attachment 260138
- Here is another graphic from the diversity office showing the race and ethnicity of the surrounding area. (we do see patient diversity)
View attachment 260139
How do you like the shortened 18mo didactic time? How do you feel about taking Step 1 in your
3rd year?

-Since I am an MS1 it is hard to answer these questions. I really like the idea of having more time in clinic than in a lecture hall but we will see. I spoke with some MS3s recently about the Step move and they understand why it was done but some had a harder time because they had to go back and relearn some things but others found it was very helpful.

Do you feel like the faculty/staff are responsive to student concerns?
-Administration is great and they're always willing to talk with you.

Do you live on campus or off campus?
- I live off campus. I can give more housing recommendations and pros and cons for those who decide to matriculate

I can give more housing recommendations and pros and cons for those who decide to matriculate
I would love more housing recommendations! I’m thinking I’ll want to live off campus but don’t really know where to start looking ...

Hey guys, I got waitlisted a tthis schoool and it's my only WL of the cycle with no acceptances. Should I send them a letter of intent along with my official transcript after I graduate on May 1st ?

I would love more housing recommendations! I’m thinking I’ll want to live off campus but don’t really know where to start looking ...
Send me a direct message with what you're looking for and I can help you out!

Hey guys, I got waitlisted a tthis schoool and it's my only WL of the cycle with no acceptances. Should I send them a letter of intent along with my official transcript after I graduate on May 1st ?

I'd recommend you send them a letter of intent/update letter asap. Keep regular communication with admissions so they know you are still interested.

I wouldn't wait that long if I were you. I'd recommend you send them a letter of intent/update letter asap. Keep regular communication with admissions so they know you are still interested.
I called the admissions office and they say they do not take letters of intent until April 30th.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called the admissions office and they say they do not take letters of intent until April 30th.

Oh ok, then have your letters ready to be sent on the 30th. The admissions office has to play a game of sorts and they want to hedge their bets (aka acceptances) on applicants they figure are more likely to matriculate. It's a numbers game for them, and they want to look good by having a high rate of matriculants out of their acceptance pool. So the more you advocate for yourself to admissions, the more likely they are to believe you would be a safe "bet"

When I called they gave different information. They said they will accept letters, but will not add it to your file. Essentially you can send it but it won’t mean anything since the committee will not see it. That seems to line up with their “do not accept updates besides transcripts” policy.

When I called they gave different information. They said they will accept letters, but will not add it to your file. Essentially you can send it but it won’t mean anything since the committee will not see it. That seems to line up with their “do not accept updates besides transcripts” policy.
I called and they also said no letters until the 30th

I called and they also said no letters until the 30th

But just because they will accept them on the 30th, that doesn't that mean it’ll actually help your application..... they made it sound like you could write one, but only official transcript updates will get added to the applications they use for waitlist movement. Not letters. Seems silly that they’d accept them but not consider them, but that’s what they made it sound like. Previous year’s threads seem to agree that letters don’t really help at this school due to their no update policy.

It doesn't seem like their waitlist is ranked at this point? Anyone know for sure?

Did you have to call admissions to withdraw or was there a button in the portal with the secondary app? I am thinking of withdrawing as well
Responding a bit late but I just sent them a short email!

how do i send my transcipt update to this school ? mail or e-mail along with my LOI

I hope their is some movement on their MSTP program, I need new nails to bite.

Withdrew my acceptance today, sincerely hoping one of you gets it. Penn State's amazing, enjoy!

Reactions: 3 users
Withdrew my acceptance today, sincerely hoping one of you gets it. Penn State's amazing, enjoy!
Thank you!

Either they give very few acceptances off the WL, or only few people accepted off this WL use SDN?! This thread has been so quiet. Lord I hope I get my first acceptance soon

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know how they rank their waitlist if at all?

Most schools will rank a waitlist with some kind of system based off how much they want you, but waitlist is just as much about demographics....they won't always accept the next up automatically cause it may skew desired numbers or percentages.

Does anyone know when the CTE deadline is?

I interviewed in December and am on the Hold/WL.

Did you feel like your interview went well?

I did and still got WLed. It stings

EDIT: I applied for MD only tho

It went great, except for a round table one that was done on Zoom (double whammy) which was a little awkward. In their defense, I was talking to 5 engineers so that might shed some light on the relatively tense atmosphere :confused:. Apart from that it went great, talked to a dude who shared my research interest and was super chill but hype, if that makes any sense.

Has anyone sent them a letter of intent? Did they reply?

Did anybody get accepted off the waitlist yet? I was expecting some waitlist movement after April 30th but it seems like that is slow in coming.

I released my spot today along with scholarship money. I hope it goes to some of you guys!! Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 users
Waiting to hear back is so frustrating. I can’t sign a lease at the DO school I was accepted to in case I get off the waitlist here

Waiting to hear back is so frustrating. I can’t sign a lease at the DO school I was accepted to in case I get off the waitlist here
You were wise and applied DO also fam. I didn't. Everything will work out in the end, for both of us and everyone. In 10 years, you won't care about the lease issue

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted earlier today! Feeling really blessed. Good luck to everyone still waiting! I'm wishing the best for all of you!!

I think I will be a reapplicant :/
This school has almost zero WL movement and the other school that WLed me keeps accepting everyone but me

• Sad