2018-2019 Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted earlier today! Feeling really blessed. Good luck to everyone still waiting! I'm wishing the best for all of you!!
Congrats! IS or OOS? Stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just know for a fact that I’m gonna submit my application for next cycle and find a new apartment for 6/1 and then I’ll hear something if I do lol

Just got admitted off waitlist. Interviewed 03/11. URM cGpa:3.68 sGpa: 3.68 MCAT:512

Reactions: 2 users
The "scholarship" is that you're getting your MD in 3 years so you won't be technically paying for a 4th year of med school. They don't give you any money. Also, should you exit the accelerated pathway you revert back to having to pay for the 4th year.

For the neurosurgery track it's basically the same info as in my other post. Only other info I know is that in the past 2 years they've done it they have had 5 applicants each year and they have only accepted 1. I was told they may be looking to accept 2 depending on how many apply this year or if they get an exceptional candidate, but otherwise they just take 1 person.

What about the clinician investigator 3+1 is it also accelerated by only paying for 3 years? Thanks!

I looked before but it took a while to find it, but does anyone know from the last couple of years when the last announced acceptance went out for Penn State here on sdn?

I know an OOS acceptance from last year came out on June 6th...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Aaaaand MSTP rejection. Kewl.
I'm very sorry fam. Hang in there.

If it's any consellation, my January interview went great and I am completely shocked that I wasn't accepted--I am WL but it feels like an R because this school has no WL movement. It hurts. I am really likely going to be a reapplicant. It is sad

It will work out some day

I'm very sorry fam. Hang in there.

If it's any consellation, my January interview went great and I am completely shocked that I wasn't accepted--I am WL but it feels like an R because this school has no WL movement. It hurts. I am really likely going to be a reapplicant. It is sad

It will work out some day
Not sure where you heard we don't have any WL movement but we traditionally do! Every year is a bit different but I would not give up hope yet as it is still possible for the waitlist to move.

Not sure where you heard we don't have any WL movement but we traditionally do! Every year is a bit different but I would not give up hope yet as it is still possible for the waitlist to move.
Yeah I remember seeing on msar that it was something like 60% acceptance from the WL? Not sure how accurate or when the biggest movement tends to happen though

Sorry--by no, I meant very little. I should be more clear.

I like you positivity, but I like to be realistic as well. The 2017-2018 thread and this thread both have like ~3ish acceptances during May off the WL, and not much WL movement any other month. This is a very slow moving WL,over the years. There is a low chance we will be accepted off the WL. I do not mean to be negative--just real. I would love to attend this school but the odds of me doing that seem low.

Reactions: 1 users

I like you positivity, but I like to be realistic as well. The 2017-2018 thread and this thread both have like ~3ish acceptances during May off the WL, and not much WL movement any other month. This is a very slow moving WL,over the years. There is a low chance we will be accepted off the WL. I do not mean to be negative--just real. I would love to attend this school but the odds of me doing that seem low.

I completely agree. I love this school, but I also think it's ridiculous that they don't reject after interviewing. I can't even imagine how long the waitlist is currently and it sucks that so, so many of us are stuck holding out for a very unlikely acceptance at this point.

I completely agree. I love this school, but I also think it's ridiculous that they don't reject after interviewing. I can't even imagine how long the waitlist is currently and it sucks that so, so many of us are stuck holding out for a very unlikely acceptance at this point.
Completely agree

Last edited:

Many of my classmates did not use SDN (or at least didn't post) so your count is not correct for the 2017-2018 year. I understand wanting to be realistic but I wouldn't leap to too many conclusions.

Many of my classmates did not use SDN (or at least didn't post) so your count is not correct for the 2017-2018 year. I understand wanting to be realistic but I wouldn't leap to too many conclusions.
To be specific, I do not mean to suggest that there were 3 acceptances off the WL in May. Not everyone uses SDN, so there were likely more than that. Yes. But, compared to other school-specific SDN threads (over multiple cycles. not just this one), there is a lot less WL movement reported for Penn State. This suggests that there is less WL movement here than other schools. This is why I believe that WL movement is slow at this school. This seems like a reasonable conclusion to me.

I will try to stay positive about WL movement here. We all should be. But we should also be realistic.

Hey guys and @PSUCOM student, I am yet to recieve my financial aid packet. Icompleted all my pre-matriculation requirements but no response from the college as of yet. Does anyone has a timeline to receive said package and if yes, what kind of finacial options does it contain ? Do I have to apply for scholarships/grants and loans seperately ?

Hey guys and @PSUCOM student, I am yet to recieve my financial aid packet. Icompleted all my pre-matriculation requirements but no response from the college as of yet. Does anyone has a timeline to receive said package and if yes, what kind of finacial options does it contain ? Do I have to apply for scholarships/grants and loans seperately ?
Did you complete your FAFSA? I would call admissions or student aid if you think it has been too long.

Do they provide any individual tablets for students here? I know some other medical schools give tablets to all incoming first years, and I noticed the Books/Medical equipment fees are ~ $1,000 higher for M1 than other years (though this may just be for miscellaneous things, too.)

Check your LionPath

Withdrew from the Hold List, due to a Commit to Enroll Deadline. Wish everyone the best of luck.

Withdrew from the Hold List, due to a Commit to Enroll Deadline. Wish everyone the best of luck.
Never got off hold here, I had a CTE deadline recently, wishing everyone the best of luck in the future

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
@PSUCOM student is there anything we can do to get pff the hold list? Do you know? I sent a LOI but am wondering if they would be receptive to any more communication from me. I really had a good vibe on interview day. Ilike this school a lot

So what are you guys planning to get as far as the diagnostic kit goes? I looked at the list online and theres a few options between around 550-750. Is one necessarily better than the other? Ideally I'd like to get the cheapest one, but I also want to make sure that I have everything I need.

@PSUCOM student is there anything we can do to get pff the hold list? Do you know? I sent a LOI but am wondering if they would be receptive to any more communication from me. I really had a good vibe on interview day. Ilike this school a lot
FYI - I sent a LOI when the CTE deadline was approaching at the medical school that I am attending. Got an automated email response with no further communication.:beat:

Last edited:

Quite accurate. Similar to AAMC, this zero-transparency-school seems to not care at all about applicants. It's ok, I'll lead by example and show them how they should treat others. I know not everyone is bad at Penn State (far from it, probably), but these admissions policies deserve massive improvements.

I have a question regarding CTE. Let me set the scene.

Suppose I’m accepted to school X but am on the waitlist at school Y, Z, and XYZ. School X has a CTE deadline of Jun 8th.

So a week strolls by and your calendar says Jun 8th and SDN is dead and schools are keeping up with their style of withholding any update/info.

If I CTE at school X does that remove me from the waitlist at Y, Z, and XYZ?

If it doesn’t, then suppose you CTE to school X, and you cry yourself to sleep that night. Now on Jun 9th, the one and only, dank School XYZ pities your situation and offers you an acceptance along with a tissue box for your tears. Can one CTE at School XYZ even though they are currently CTE to School X?

I have a question regarding CTE. Let me set the scene.

Suppose I’m accepted to school X but am on the waitlist at school Y, Z, and XYZ. School X has a CTE deadline of Jun 8th.

So a week strolls by and your calendar says Jun 8th and SDN is dead and schools are keeping up with their style of withholding any update/info.

If I CTE at school X does that remove me from the waitlist at Y, Z, and XYZ?

If it doesn’t, then suppose you CTE to school X, and you cry yourself to sleep that night. Now on Jun 9th, the one and only, dank School XYZ pities your situation and offers you an acceptance along with a tissue box for your tears. Can one CTE at School XYZ even though they are currently CTE to School X?
Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but when you commit it withdraws you from your other waitlists, so ultimately no. That is my understanding. I’m not saying it is impossible because I don’t know how the new rules this year may affect this, but it is most likely that it’s not possible.

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but when you commit it withdraws you from your other waitlists, so ultimately no. That is my understanding. I’m not saying it is impossible because I don’t know how the new rules this year may affect this, but it is most likely that it’s not possible.
Agreed. I'm also not positive, but my understanding is that when you commit to enroll to a school, you are expected to withdraw any waitlist positions/acceptances you hold, unless committing automatically does this for you.

Is there any hope of WL movement? Seems like actual class starts in August:

July 16 to 19, 2019: Orientation
July 22 to Aug. 2: Transition to Medical School
Aug. 1: TOM Summative Exam
Aug. 2: White Coat Ceremony
Aug. 5 to Sept. 20: Scientific Principles of Medicine Course

Lol, as in even though the school year starts in July (orientation), literal class in the school year starts in August

Are you WLed here?

Absolutely.

Whether there will be movement for you, no one can tell.

BTW, is there a difference between an actual class and a class?

Hi, so sorry just saw this post. Officially, a letter of intent is probably the best thing you can do. When did you send that? Feel free to shoot me a private message

So what are you guys planning to get as far as the diagnostic kit goes? I looked at the list online and theres a few options between around 550-750. Is one necessarily better than the other? Ideally I'd like to get the cheapest one, but I also want to make sure that I have everything I need.
There’s no reason to drop $500 on the kits at all. I got a cheap otoscope and ophthalmoscope kit off of Amazon for $60 and it does the job. Yes Welch Allyn is nicer but you pretty much only use your kit to learn and practice, all patient rooms have Welch Allyn. The only thing I would spend a decent amount of money on is a stethoscope. Your class will be given stethoscopes by the alumni association so you can wait until after you get that to see if you want a better one but I think they’re going to be pretty nice. You won’t need any of it until a few weeks into school anyway

Have they sent out wait list rejections yet??? I checked their academic calendar and they should have begun classes already. I loved this school when I visited but I hate how this is being handled.

Have they sent out wait list rejections yet??? I checked their academic calendar and they should have begun classes already. I loved this school when I visited but I hate how this is being handled.
We're currently halfway through our orientation week at this point; hate to say it but I wouldn't hold high hopes for gaining admission here at this point.

Perhaps this is a red flag that this school is not a good one to attend. An M1 at Penn State also complained that the administration is bad at communication. I can see why. She said her schedule was changed randomly sometimes and she had no idea. Suddenly, she had anatomy lab in a few days. With no warning. Frustrating

Good luck fam

We're currently halfway through our orientation week at this point; hate to say it but I wouldn't hold high hopes for gaining admission here at this point.

Schools routinely add students after orientation, Penn State is notorious for doing this. They’ve added people two weeks after orientation in previous years. People already accepted should be grateful they’re in and not speculate others’ chances. The admisions process is not fair or logical, anyone could get in at any time for any reason. The stats of some of the accepted people on here prove that.

What you say is absolutely true, but do I sense a little salt ?

Lol no salt, I just don’t like when people comment on others’ chances when the process is so broken. I’m thankful for my acceptances, but realize they were probably more a result of chance than my stats.

Lol no salt, I just don’t like when people comment on others’ chances when the process is so broken. I’m thankful for my acceptances, but realize they were probably more a result of chance than my stats.
I one hundo percento agree... this process is cynical and very chance based and I hate every part of it...

Schools routinely add students after orientation, Penn State is notorious for doing this. They’ve added people two weeks after orientation in previous years. People already accepted should be grateful they’re in and not speculate others’ chances. The admisions process is not fair or logical, anyone could get in at any time for any reason. The stats of some of the accepted people on here prove that.

Thanks. I recently applied to a job and didn't get the position bc I was on a waitlist (they asked at the interview, wackkkk).
I was wondering if the administration was keeping us hanging for nothing. Based on your answer, it's not completely baseless.
I understand the other student's sentiment that it's best to prepare for the worst though.