2017-2018 PhD/PsyD Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I decided on USC (California)! Absolutely loved the program and how happy all the graduate students seemed.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone accepted at UIndy heard anything about fellowships/assistantships yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Loyola University of Maryland! Fell in love with the program the moment I stepped on campus, nowhere else I'd rather be!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats and thanks for your reply! Do you think you will be attending UIndy? I'm accepting my offer there!

I'm not sure. I really wanted the fellowship lol. That price tag is killing me, but I loved the faculty/students.
I'm on the waitlist at my top choices, so waiting to see how that pans out first

George Fox University

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not sure. I really wanted the fellowship lol. That price tag is killing me, but I loved the faculty/students.
I'm on the waitlist at my top choices, so waiting to see how that pans out first

How much are you looking at without the fellowship?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone receive admission offer phone call from Rowan University today???

Has anyone heard back from Roosevelt?

I've been obsessively refreshing my email waiting to hear back from them. I got an email from them last friday saying that I'm still being considered and acceptances will go out this week but that's about it so far.

I've been obsessively refreshing my email waiting to hear back from them. I got an email from them last friday saying that I'm still being considered and acceptances will go out this week but that's about it so far.

I got an email today saying I’m on the waitlist. It didn’t say what spot but it’s my top choice so I’m waiting! Did you get an email today?

Hopefully people will post that they won’t accept the offers.

Last edited:
I got an email today saying I’m on the waitlist. It didn’t say what spot but it’s my top choice so I’m waiting! Did you get an email today?

I got the same waitlist email too. It's also my top choice so I'm gonna wait it out and keep my fingers crossed for both of us!

Has anyone been accepted to UNCW's PhD Program? Currently on the waitlist and it's my top choice so trying to figure out my odds! Also never heard anything from ECU post interview and still on UF's high alternate list so not sure what to do. Probably going to apply to master programs

I recently was accepted to University of San Francisco's Psy.D program and am debating between USF and Wright Institute's Psy.D program (I already had an interview and am waiting to hear back).
USF's program is newer, has WASC accreditation, does not have APA accreditation (it is at the end stages of this process), it's closer to home, and seems like a good environment, would be about a cohort of 13-15 more or less.
Wright's program has is more established, and has APA accreditation, a little further from home, also a good environment (but during the open house, the students and faculty did not all give off a warm "vibe", cohort size is about 20 (a little more than USF but still an okay size).
both schools have 100% internship match rate and tuition for 5 years is almost the same.

any input would be appreciated.

Congrats on your acceptance! I would say go with the APA accredited school. Although USF is in the process of accreditation, it is extremely risky to assume they will be accredited by the time you are ready for internship. Without APA accreditation you will face significant limitations for jobs. I would reach out to current Wright State students and ask them about their experiences with the program and see if it's different from the student on the panel. It wouldn't hurt to also reach out to faculty who share similar interests with you. That way you can gauge their interest in you as a student as well.

I recently was accepted to University of San Francisco's Psy.D program and am debating between USF and Wright Institute's Psy.D program (I already had an interview and am waiting to hear back).
USF's program is newer, has WASC accreditation, does not have APA accreditation (it is at the end stages of this process), it's closer to home, and seems like a good environment, would be about a cohort of 13-15 more or less.
Wright's program has is more established, and has APA accreditation, a little further from home, also a good environment (but during the open house, the students and faculty did not all give off a warm "vibe", cohort size is about 20 (a little more than USF but still an okay size).
both schools have 100% internship match rate and tuition for 5 years is almost the same.

APA accreditation is really important. Many folks don't realize how important until you are in graduate school. It shows employers later on that you had set standards of training and oversight. Some jobs require it (VA, etc.), so I'd go with Wright to not limit job opportunities.

Where are you getting your numbers from? Neither of those programs have 100% match rates.

Where are you getting your numbers from? Neither of those programs have 100% match rates.

this is what we were told at during the open house interview day: 100% of the students received internships for practicum (not necessarily all APA accred, but most were).
Online it says 100% of Wright Students got an internship, 72% if which were APA accred. And online for USF, 90% received any internship (42% of which were APA accredited)
I have read other threads and it seems Wright not be such a great school or have such a great reputation. Haven't been accepted to Wright yet, but I wanted to weigh it if I got accepted.

According to APA's site USF is
  • Accredited, on contingency: Programs that have been judged by the CoA to be consistent substantively and procedurally with the SoA, but have not provided adequate and appropriate proximal and distal data. These programs must provide outcome data for trainees in the program and program graduates within a requisite timeframe based on the type of program.
And internships at USF started 2nd year (so applying at the end of year 1)

Congrats on your acceptance! I would say go with the APA accredited school. Although USF is in the process of accreditation, it is extremely risky to assume they will be accredited by the time you are ready for internship. Without APA accreditation you will face significant limitations for jobs. I would reach out to current Wright State students and ask them about their experiences with the program and see if it's different from the student on the panel. It wouldn't hurt to also reach out to faculty who share similar interests with you. That way you can gauge their interest in you as a student as well.

internships start year 2. Some current students I have talked to have said because USF is close to accred. they are still able to get matches. But, of course, some places are more strict about APA accred. But techincally, after further research Wright's match rates are drastically better than USF's (72% APA accred. match vs. 42%)
also mixed info on Wrights cohort size. i have heard its 60, but classes are 20 people

I wouldn't bank on a program with the hope that it'll be accredited by APA by the time you finish or thinking that because it has the same standards but is unaccredited, employers won't notice. It's up to you if you want to risk limiting some of your job prospects in the future. Just know that it will limit you for certain types of jobs (govmt/VA/neuropsychology/etc.) and carries less professional weight overall. You can choose to do it anyway, but at least be aware of the limitations.

Internship and practica are NOT the same thing. Practicum occurs during training and is the start of direct experience working with clients. In order to graduate with a doctorate EVERYONE needs to complete an internship for 1 year, generally after your 4th or 5th year. Make sure you understand the stats being spun your way. If I were in your shoes I would not accept either school, take the next year or two to get more competitive and reapply to better funded, better outcomes programs.

Internship and practica are NOT the same thing. Practicum occurs during training and is the start of direct experience working with clients. In order to graduate with a doctorate EVERYONE needs to complete an internship for 1 year, generally after your 4th or 5th year. Make sure you understand the stats being spun your way. If I were in your shoes I would not accept either school, take the next year or two to get more competitive and reapply to better funded, better outcomes programs.

Yes, this seems to be a big point of confusion for folks before entering doctoral programs.

Internship = competitive match process at the very end of one's doctoral program where you work full time for a year and usually relocate to do it. You have to apply and interview with several sites and get ranked in order to successfully match and get a site.

Practicum/externship is hands on therapy experience you do part-time for free to accrue training hours at different therapy sites in your region each year and is not the same thing as internship. You do have to interview for those places, usually, but it's not high stakes like internship.

Last edited:
I'd take this a step further and say that if one has this much confusion about grad school and beyond in clinical and counseling psych, they are likely not ready for it.

Be careful as others have said, and it would be alarming if a program couldn't 100% guarantee that you would have a practicum placement every year! These practicum placements are much different than the internship match process as others have noted.

Be careful as others have said, and it would be alarming if a program couldn't 100% guarantee that you would have a practicum placement every year! These practicum placements are much different than the internship match process as others have noted.

Yes, I would be very concerned if a program had anything less than 100% for prac placements. There should be more than enough placements to go around for practicums, and you should be doing one every year of training (save year one for some programs) prior to internship. If a school says some students don't get placed, I would steer clear.

School Name: Ferkauf Graduate School of Psychology (Yeshiva University)
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/18/2017
Degree: PsyD
Type: Clinical Psychology
Track: Adult
Notified via: Email, looks like a mass email, but with my name at the top
Interview Date: 1/25
Additional Info: n/a

Hi just wondering if you accepted the offer at yeshiva. Their school-clinical program is my top program and I want to know if you received any funding whatsoever. The program costs a lot of money but I think it will pay off in the end.

Hi just wondering if you accepted the offer at yeshiva. Their school-clinical program is my top program and I want to know if you received any funding whatsoever. The program costs a lot of money but I think it will pay off in the end.

Ferkauf School of Psychology | Financial Aid | Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Yikes, if there is no funding, I would walk from this one. Tuition alone would run you into the 6 figures by the time you start paying it off. Add on other associated fees and living expenses and you have med school level debt with an expected salary that is less than 1/3 of many physicians.

Yikes, if there is no funding, I would walk from this one. Tuition alone would run you into the 6 figures by the time you start paying it off. Add on other associated fees and living expenses and you have med school level debt with an expected salary that is less than 1/3 of many physicians.

Well school psychologists in my area make well over 120k. Factor in a private practice and i could very well be earning 200k. Not to mention the fed gov offers many loan repayment options such as pay as you earn etc.

Well school psychologists in my area make well over 120k. Factor in a private practice and i could very well be earning 200k. Not to mention the fed gov offers many loan repayment options such as pay as you earn etc.
Is 120K/year the median or mean?

Is 120K/year the median or mean?
or neither. And they're certainly unlikely to be ECP.
Pre-school/ Elementary/Secondary $91,000 (M) $93,753 (Median) 25,665 (SD) 4,389 (N)

2015 Salaries in Psychology

Folks who expect to do a full time job and then pull another that much in part-time PP under-estimate the PP workload and over-estimate their earnings. That estimate equates to approximately 1600/week in earnings on top of the salary amount or around 2-3 hours of billable time after school psych work (then add another bit for notes). Ignoring the overhead costs/no-shows/time it takes to build a caseload/split if a group practice/etc, that means that to hit that number they would need to hit the ~70th PR for income in primary/elementary/secondary education as an ECP then work 11-12 hour day every workday for the year if they go the traditional therapy route for the PP.

Exactly, there's no way that's typical, even for someone late in their career. It's funny how poorly implemented statistics and logic are for people ostensibly trained in them in grad school.

School Name: Ferkauf Graduate School (Yeshiva University)
Date Interview Invite Received: 2/1/18
Type: School-Clinical Child Psych
Notified via: Email from Program Director
Interview Date: 2/22/18

School Name: Pace University
Date Interview Invite Received: 2/1/18
Type: School-Clinical Child Psych
Notified via: Email from Staff Assistant
Interview Date: 2/13/18

If you don’t mind sharing, what were your stats? Also did you accept your offer at either of these schools?

Exactly, there's no way that's typical, even for someone late in their career. It's funny how poorly implemented statistics and logic are for people ostensibly trained in them in grad school.

lol thank you for your valuable insight! ...also great choice of words..."ostensibly"...did you grab that out of the GRE prep book? Also, I haven't been trained in anything in grad school because I have not gone to grad school yet, hence the whole purpose of my previous post.

lol thank you for your valuable insight! ...also great choice of words..."ostensibly"...did you grab that out of the GRE prep book? Also, I haven't been trained in anything in grad school because I have not gone to grad school yet, hence the whole purpose of my previous post.
If you focus less on the diction (there's another difficult word for you to look up) and more on comprehension, you'll see that I'm not referring to you in that context. I'm talking about the people who attend unfunded programs and don't properly evaluate the costs of doing so or their realistic earnings later on, as I was discussing with Justanothergrad.

Pre-school/ Elementary/Secondary $91,000 (M) $93,753 (Median) 25,665 (SD) 4,389 (N)

2015 Salaries in Psychology

Folks who expect to do a full time job and then pull another that much in part-time PP under-estimate the PP workload and over-estimate their earnings. That estimate equates to approximately 1600/week in earnings on top of the salary amount or around 2-3 hours of billable time after school psych work (then add another bit for notes). Ignoring the overhead costs/no-shows/time it takes to build a caseload/split if a group practice/etc, that means that to hit that number they would need to hit the ~70th PR for income in primary/elementary/secondary education as an ECP then work 11-12 hour day every workday for the year if they go the traditional therapy route for the PP.

If you focus less on the diction (there's another difficult word for you to look up) and more on comprehension, you'll see that I'm not referring to you in that context. I'm talking about the people who attend unfunded programs and don't properly evaluate the costs of doing so or their realistic earnings later on, as I was discussing with Justanothergrad.

Well the whole structure of it is completely incoherent. It's amazing how ostensibly trained in writing grad school students can be!