2017-2018 PhD/PsyD Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would say that it's a good sign, and they think you're qualified but that your original POI just can't make it work. It sounds like it will be an informal interview, with the goal of checking to make sure that you weren't absolutely dead set on the other POI. It may be that if it goes well, that POI would extend an invitation to you to interview.
Thanks for your help! That's definitely what it was. She only asked me one question about my interests and the rest if the time was just talking about her research and me asking questions. I got an invite at the end but im unable to make either date. She mentioned that an interview isnt necessary to be admitted but I'm still planning an informal visit.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Question! I need to email the administrative coordinator of a program that I am applying to about a change of email address and phone number. Would it be totally inappropriate to throw in a "do you happen to know where the faculty are in the process of selecting students for interviews?" I have no idea if that is looked down on or not, lol. The application deadline was over a month ago, not a week ago or anything ;)

Last edited:
Hi - I need help! So I agreed to interview at one place on February 1-2, assuming that I got rejected from my other option that has an interview date on February 1-2, but I just found out that none of the POIs have sent out invitations to interview yet, so there's a chance I may have indeed gotten an interview at this place. I am a strong candidate so there is a good chance I will get an interview at this second place (but obviously these programs are so competitive so there's also a chance I won't get an interview at all) since the POI is close colleagues with one of my recommenders. Both of these schools are my top choices, but the one I already agreed to interview with on February 1-2 apparently also has an alternative date on February 5. Do I ask to reschedule at the first place that has already offered me an interview (offered just on Tuesday) if I do indeed get an interview with the second school? Or do I do that now to let them know as soon as possible just in case I do have a conflict? Help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to all the above! Has anyone heard from any PIs in Drexel's forensic concentration yet? Thanks!!

Hi - I need help! So I agreed to interview at one place on February 1-2, assuming that I got rejected from my other option that has an interview date on February 1-2, but I just found out that none of the POIs have sent out invitations to interview yet, so there's a chance I may have indeed gotten an interview at this place. I am a strong candidate so there is a good chance I will get an interview at this second place (but obviously these programs are so competitive so there's also a chance I won't get an interview at all) since the POI is close colleagues with one of my recommenders. Both of these schools are my top choices, but the one I already agreed to interview with on February 1-2 apparently also has an alternative date on February 5. Do I ask to reschedule at the first place that has already offered me an interview (offered just on Tuesday) if I do indeed get an interview with the second school? Or do I do that now to let them know as soon as possible just in case I do have a conflict? Help!
Congratulations on your interview! Honestly if you are sure you may receive an interview then change the date now so you don’t seem like you are being flaky later. Because you don’t want to ruin your chances at this school because even if you get an interview at the other one it doesn’t guarantee you’ll get in. Plus this program may quickly become your top after you interview you never know . So if you are going to change it do it now so they have time to make arrangements because February is right around the corner. Rather be safe than sorry. Good luck !

Congratulations on your interview! Honestly if you are sure you may receive an interview then change the date now so you don’t seem like you are being flaky later. Because you don’t want to ruin your chances at this school because even if you get an interview at the other one it doesn’t guarantee you’ll get in. Plus this program may quickly become your top after you interview you never know . So if you are going to change it do it now so they have time to make arrangements because February is right around the corner. Rather be safe than sorry. Good luck !

Thank you for the congrats and thank you for your help! I really appreciate it!

Also if anyone has had experience with this let me know!

Also if anyone has had experience with this let me know!

You'll get a million different answers to this question. There are no hard and fast rules here. When I was going through the process last year, I promised myself I would not back out of one interview for another. I thought of it as breaking my word. Late in the season I got an interview invite from my top-ranked program (I never dreamed I would actually get an interview) and there were no alternate dates and no possibility for a Skype interview. After tossing and turning on it overnight, I decided to go to the interview at my top-ranked program and requested a reschedule at the previous interview. I reasoned that I had to give myself a chance to go where I dreamed of going. I wound up getting waitlisted at the school that I rescheduled with and I'm pretty certain that the reason was the interview situation. I also got an offer from my top-ranked school. As I write this, I'm struck again how this could have played out differently. It was a hard situation, but I ultimately decided to follow my gut.

School Name: Northern Illinois University
Date Interview Invite Received: Jan 9
Degree: PhD
Type: Clinical
Notified via: personal email
Interview Date: Feb 26/27
Additional Info: dinner the 26th, interview the 27th. housing with student & transportation from/to airport provided

Did you apply straight to the PhD or to the masters with the PhD intent, if you don't mind me asking? Also can you send me your POIs?

Thank you for your help!

You'll get a million different answers to this question. There are no hard and fast rules here. When I was going through the process last year, I promised myself I would not back out of one interview for another. I thought of it as breaking my word. Late in the season I got an interview invite from my top-ranked program (I never dreamed I would actually get an interview) and there were no alternate dates and no possibility for a Skype interview. After tossing and turning on it overnight, I decided to go to the interview at my top-ranked program and requested a reschedule at the previous interview. I reasoned that I had to give myself a chance to go where I dreamed of going. I wound up getting waitlisted at the school that I rescheduled with and I'm pretty certain that the reason was the interview situation. I also got an offer from my top-ranked school. As I write this, I'm struck again how this could have played out differently. It was a hard situation, but I ultimately decided to follow my gut.

has anyone heard from:
FIU, NOVA, UCF, U of Alabama - Birmingham, Columbia (Teacher's College), UMBC, UPenn, or American?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone heard from/about these?

U Georgia Counseling
U North Texas Clinical
U Texas Austin Counseling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoping to hear back from schools soon whether it's a rejection or an acceptance lol. I applied to Sam Houston, University of North Texas, Penn State, Columbia -teachers college, UCLA, Berkeley, UCSD/SDSU, and Stony Brook. The waiting period is totally rough.
-3 years undergrad research experience in social psych labs, fellowship received for research, 7 years clinical experience, 7 years work/research experience, 2 publications co-author, poster presentation finalist, 19 abstract presentations, 2 conference presentations.
I think my 3.3 gpa and GRE scores will keep me out though. You just never know what they will look for though, so I'm staying hopeful!

Anyone heard from/about these?

U Georgia Counseling
U North Texas Clinical
U Texas Austin Counseling

I haven't heard back from UNT but I think the invites may have all gone out. I'm hoping they haven't yet though!

I’m down to petition the GRE out of existence. ETS is also the worst. We’re all little people living for the economy.

Reactions: 8 users
Has anyone heard from Auburn's Counseling Psychology program yet?

Also, GA Southern's clinical PsyD program invites are going out next week!

I know a lot of people got emails from POIs from miami oh and miami florida, but does anyone know if all their interviews have been extended?

I have been freaking out all day since I found this forum... I applied to 6 clinical psych PhD programs and haven’t heard back from any..

Syracuse
SUNY Albany
SUNY Binghamton
Fordham
Pittsburgh
Boston U

I thought my chances were really good... (3.5 gpa, clinical internship experience, 2 years of research, REU, grants..) now I’m doubting myself... should I just take all of these as rejections since I haven’t hated from any? I’ve seen some people have gotten interviews from at least 5 of them....

I have been freaking out all day since I found this forum... I applied to 6 clinical psych PhD programs and haven’t heard back from any..

Syracuse
SUNY Albany
SUNY Binghamton
Fordham
Pittsburgh
Boston U

I thought my chances were really good... (3.5 gpa, clinical internship experience, 2 years of research, REU, grants..) now I’m doubting myself... should I just take all of these as rejections since I haven’t hated from any? I’ve seen some people have gotten interviews from at least 5 of them....
The issue is that you only applied to six programs and you geographically limited your applications to the Northeast. Even the most competitive applicants can hamstring their chances by doing this.

I’m down to petition the GRE out of existence. ETS is also the worst. We’re all little people living for the economy.

I agree we need to petition the Gre out of here lol

Reactions: 2 users
I have not heard anything from the doctoral programs I applied to yet, none of mine have sent out invites, but I did get an acceptance for a MA in Forensic Psych, so that's nice news while I wait to hear from doctoral programs, hopefully in the next 2 weeks!

Do invites typically never go out on weekends? Can I take a break from freaking out now? ;)

I keep getting emails from the schools I applied to. They're from the graduate schools, saying "thanks for applying!" LOL

Last edited:
Has anyone heard from Florida Institute of Technology Clinical program? I just heard from Loyola that my application wasn't reviewed because a transcript was received 1 day after the deadline so I'm holding out hope for Florida

I keep getting emails from the schools I applied to. They're from the graduate schools, saying "thanks for applying!" LOL
Those are the WORST. Thanks for the mini heart attack!

Syracuse
SUNY Albany
SUNY Binghamton
Fordham
Pittsburgh
Boston U

Don't count yourself out just yet... A lot of schools haven't sent anything yet! If it gets to be mid-February and you still haven't heard, it's probably a good idea to start thinking ahead. My advisers encouraged me to apply to 15-20 programs and to apply all across the country. If you're geographically limited because of family obligations, etc., then maybe try applying to more programs in your area that have good variability in terms of competitiveness (a couple "safety" schools, a couple "reach" schools, etc.).

Good luck!!

Syracuse
SUNY Albany
SUNY Binghamton
Fordham
Pittsburgh
Boston U

I applied to Albany, Fordham, Pitt, and Boston U too and haven't heard anything yet either! You're not alone!

School Name: Loyola (Maryland)
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/12
Degree
: PsyD
Type: Clinical

Notified via:
Email, it was specific but definitely a formatted interview invitation
Interview Date: Feb 16
Additional Info: Covered a long list of information and included directions, local hotels, and a schedule for the interview day events

I'm also waiting to hear back from George Washington and Tulane, so if anyone has insight as to when those programs usually notify interview candidates, please let me know! Thanks!

Has anyone heard anything from Loyola in MD PsyD, American U PhD Clinical, GW PsyD or USUHS Civilian Track?
I received an email yesterday from Loyola MD for interview invitation (PsyD). Your post is a little dated, so I'm hoping you did as well :)

I did not hear anything from Loyola. Bummer. I really hope they are still sending some out. It’s a top choice for me.

I did not hear anything from Loyola. Bummer. I really hope they are still sending some out. It’s a top choice for me.

I got an email earlier this week that all applications had been reviewed. Mine was not considered because a transcript took 10 business days to process and arrived late, but after speaking with them all decisions have already been made. Best of luck.

Weird. I didn’t get anything about applications being reviewed. The last I heard from them was my application was complete back in November. I have gotten their emails they have sent about various aspects of the program but nothing about my application. When I called them last week they told me letters were going out in 2 weeks which was why I wasn’t worried. But now people have said they heard so I guess I was misinformed. Oh well. Huge disappointment. I thought I was a pretty competitive applicant for their program.

Weird. I didn’t get anything about applications being reviewed. The last I heard from them was my application was complete back in November. I have gotten their emails they have sent about various aspects of the program but nothing about my application. When I called them last week they told me letters were going out in 2 weeks which was why I wasn’t worried. But now people have said they heard so I guess I was misinformed. Oh well. Huge disappointment. I thought I was a pretty competitive applicant for their program.

I just looked back at my email and they sent me an email on 1/8 telling me more information about the program and clinical opportunities. So, I am not sure why I would have gotten that if I was out of the running. It did say to email with any questions about the program, so I did send an email inquiring if all interview invites have been extended.

I just looked back at my email and they sent me an email on 1/8 telling me more information about the program and clinical opportunities. So, I am not sure why I would have gotten that if I was out of the running. It did say to email with any questions about the program, so I did send an email inquiring if all interview invites have been extended.

I also received that email on the 8th, and also did not receive an interview invitation yesterday. We could just be on a mass email list they had not yet updated, but who knows. When you hear a response, could you PM me or post on here with an update? Thanks, and good luck!

I also received that email on the 8th, and also did not receive an interview invitation yesterday. We could just be on a mass email list they had not yet updated, but who knows. When you hear a response, could you PM me or post on here with an update? Thanks, and good luck!

You could be right, but that would be pretty awful to get that email when they knew full-well we were out of the running. I will let you know if I hear anything.

North Texas has this on their website: "Timeline for making decisions is available via this public calendar." It's under clinical psychology applicant. Wondering if it's accurate.

North Texas has this on their website: "Timeline for making decisions is available via this public calendar." It's under clinical psychology applicant. Wondering if it's accurate.
I dont think it was entirely accurate. I think it provides a good time frame when things typically come out but I dont think theyre following that exact hard deadline. I did contact someone from admissions there before xmas and they said if you havent heard back by the end of the first week it's safe to assume you didnt get an interview.

Question: so obviously programs either send out mass emails or you hear from your POI. I (finally) received an interview somewhere, and it was a mass email sent out to everyone. I am just wondering--does this definitely mean that my POI was interested in me specifically, or is there still a chance that I may be interviewing with someone else instead? I am just curious since it was a mass email and it did not come directly from the POI. Thanks!

Hey!! Just so you guys know, I had a friend apply for UGA's Counseling Psych program. He received an interview invitation this morning. Check your email!!!

Question: so obviously programs either send out mass emails or you hear from your POI. I (finally) received an interview somewhere, and it was a mass email sent out to everyone. I am just wondering--does this definitely mean that my POI was interested in me specifically, or is there still a chance that I may be interviewing with someone else instead? I am just curious since it was a mass email and it did not come directly from the POI. Thanks!
The way you get your invitation isn't really all that consequential, programs just have different administrative procedures for these kinds of things. What matters is how the program is structured and how you wrote your personal statement, e.g., if you indicated multiple POIs, you might be interviewing with all of them at some programs and only a subset of them at other programs.

School: University of Connecticut (UCONN)

Type: Clinical PhD

Date of invite: 1/14

Type of invite: POI email

Interview date(s): 1/30 or 2/2

This was a big surprise, as POI is not as close of a fit as those at other programs and I thought that all invitations had been extended. It sounds like she was late in reviewing applications so other POIs may have already extended invites.

Does anyone know if all invites for John Jay and Fordham interviews have gone out?

I'm also wondering this about John Jay. Not that this means anything, but I only saw one lone (nondescript) post on TGC about it last week, and I'm wondering if it's worth calling admissions to check my status.

I'm also wondering this about John Jay. Not that this means anything, but I only saw one lone (nondescript) post on TGC about it last week, and I'm wondering if it's worth calling admissions to check my status.

I was going to do the same because I wasn’t sure either!