2018-2019 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (Georgia Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! Rising 2nd year here.

I know its a little early for this application cycle but if you have any questions about GA-PCOM don't hesitate to comment or PM me. Since I'm 2 years removed from applying to medical school I'm not gonna give advice regarding stats, MCAT (I'll let 1st years comment).

Hey guys! Rising 2nd year here.

I know its a little early for this application cycle but if you have any questions about GA-PCOM don't hesitate to comment or PM me. Since I'm 2 years removed from applying to medical school I'm not gonna give advice regarding stats, MCAT (I'll let 1st years comment).
hey! any reason you chose this campus over philly campus?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey! any reason you chose this campus over philly campus?

The Georgia campus accepted me and the main campus did not haha. Thats why I chose GA-PCOM over PCOM lol.

The rumor is that if you are from the SE then the main campus will prefer to let GA-PCOM take you. As soon as I got an acceptance from GA-PCOM I got an email from the main campus that they were no longer looking at my file.

I start here in August, feel free to comment or PM me with questions.

The Georgia campus accepted me and the main campus did not haha. Thats why I chose GA-PCOM over PCOM lol.

The rumor is that if you are from the SE then the main campus will prefer to let GA-PCOM take you. As soon as I got an acceptance from GA-PCOM I got an email from the main campus that they were no longer looking at my file.
fair enough hahaha sounds like the schools talk to one another then

PCOM is not pass fail, right?

So most schools will tell you this but here the thing. PCOM is a numerical grading system. Every DO school (and most MD) are graded in one way or another. But because we technically don't have letter grades, they will tell you we are ungraded.

Edit: Bolded was based on prior knowledge. New update from school. Incoming classes are now based on A/B/C/F grading system.

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten a secondary from PCOM yet?

Has anyone gotten a secondary from PCOM yet?
I think they sent out an email last week saying that they are updating their system and it won't be up and running until the end of July. So we wont be getting our secondaries anytime soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, so I was wondering if any of the older students could shed some light on ways that they take notes during lecture. Just trying to figure out if it will be more helpful to take electronic notes on my laptop or hard copy notes in a notebook.

applied here. no secondaries yet. What is one special things about this school that other schools dont offer? (except location)

Hey, so I was wondering if any of the older students could shed some light on ways that they take notes during lecture. Just trying to figure out if it will be more helpful to take electronic notes on my laptop or hard copy notes in a notebook.

Personally, I do both electronic and paper notes. Paper notes are for the test coming up and electronic for future use (alot of the stuff you go over is cumulative so its nice to be able to search for something quick when you need it.

I recently read that PCOM requires 3 LORs from professors, and that the LORs must be on letterhead. I know one of my letter writers has since left academia.

Just wondering if anyone has any insight on what to do in this situation. I'm non-trad and went to multiple schools for my DIY post bac

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently read that PCOM requires 3 LORs from professors, and that the LORs must be on letterhead. I know one of my letter writers has since left academia.

Just wondering if anyone has any insight on what to do in this situation. I'm non-trad and went to multiple schools for my DIY post bac
Have the professor put the letter on letterhead, if not they will not take it

Anyone have an idea on the type of Stats this school will be looking for? Interested in this school and the South Georgia campus as well

They're not at the school anymore. Will it count if the letterhead is a new employer that's not the school?
I guess all you can do is try and see if they accept that. The person should probably note that in the letter so that when they check the letter with the graded course and number they know which transcript to check.

Online, it says that one needs 125+ on every section of the MCAT, but I have a 123 on CARS.
My MCAT is a 501 with a GPA of 3.59 and a science GPA of around 3.4.
Do you think I have good chances of getting in?

Online, it says that one needs 125+ on every section of the MCAT, but I have a 123 on CARS.
My MCAT is a 501 with a GPA of 3.59 and a science GPA of around 3.4.
Do you think I have good chances of getting in?

They don’t have a minimum MCAT requirement.

So most schools will tell you this but here the thing. PCOM is a numerical grading system. Every DO school (and most MD) are graded in one way or another. But because we technically don't have letter grades, they will tell you we are ungraded.

I wanna give an update so you guys aren't given #FakeNews.

GAPCOM has updated their grading scale. So incoming classes will be based on a A/B/C/F grading system.

Is this also the thread for the New South Georgia Campus? Has anyone heard any updates from them?

I wanna give an update so you guys aren't given #FakeNews.

GAPCOM has updated their grading scale. So incoming classes will be based on a A/B/C/F grading system.
ew

Lol I know, people are going to start having interviews at other schools before PCOM sends their secondaries!

They said late July didnt they? Wonder whats going on.

Lol I know, people are going to start having interviews at other schools before PCOM sends their secondaries!

They said late July didnt they? Wonder whats going on.

People have already been interviewing at other schools Lol! There are people with acceptances on another forum!

Can you guys post secondary prompts once it pops in your email? Thanks!

Noting the missions and objectives of the Osteopathic profession and PCOM, please describe your personal characteristics that demonstrate your interest in this field.

"Please note that the faculty letters must be from a professor that issued a grade in a course that appears on the applicant's institutional transcript. The course number and title must be noted in the letter."

I definitely didn't tell my letter writers to put the course number in the letter. I sure hope they did...

Reactions: 2 users
For the secondary question, are you guys gonna treat it as a "Why DO?" type question, or more of a "Why PCOM?" ? I can see it being interpreted both ways

Their LOR requirement is sketching me out tbh. I have 2 science faculty letters, a physician letter, and a letter from a PI from an internship that I received credit, but no letter grade for... Hope I didn't just waste my money on this secondary to be knocked out for that lol

Still waiting on the secondary invite. :/

For the essay, 250 words are too little to answer the prompt. Any suggestions guys? Just wanna to prepare before hand.

"Please note that the faculty letters must be from a professor that issued a grade in a course that appears on the applicant's institutional transcript. The course number and title must be noted in the letter."

I definitely didn't tell my letter writers to put the course number in the letter. I sure hope they did...

How can they send the secondary over 2 months after the primaries were submitted and expect us to specifically mention this to the LOR authors? Seems silly. I can’t imagine that would be what holds us back from attending the school

Reactions: 3 users
Got my secondary yesterday

I got a secondary for the Philly campus and the south GA campus. Is there a third secondary for the main GA campus?

I haven’t received any secondaries yet. Wondering if PCOM do prescreening?