2018-2019 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (Georgia Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Because right now we have the lowest board scores out of EVERY school. So they thought "oh let's make lectures mandatory, maybe that will fix it." But it's because they give 0 dedicated prep time for boards. Literally classes throughout.

It's a bad thing since you're there at 8 AM everyday til 4/5 pm. Some of the days are super unnecessary like OMM and Primary care skills. But you can't skip those days to focus on stuff like anatomy. Also some professors are just a waste of time in even sitting in their lectures. You can read the ppts and watch youtube videos and you'd be fine. You'd get the concept in 1 hour, as opposed to the whole day that you're forced to stay. They throw so much BS at you and the first week just ended. Run for the hills.

Holy crap this is my dream school. Are you a first year there?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is this for all pcom campuses?
I am wondering the same thing. I hope the Philly campus isn’t doing this too.
any word if classes are mandatory for the philly campus. if so, I'm definitely not submitting a secondary

PCOM-Philly campus is still non-mandatory. DO council tried to utilize this in order to try to get it reversed. Didn't happen. Will likely not change any time soon. Best case scenario they see board scores from my class drop even lower (MS2s) and try something different.

One thing I will give this school is they aren't afraid to admit when they are wrong. They tried something ridiculous in OMM during my 1st year. Wont go in to details but was ridiculous. They tried it for a term, saw that everyone (1st years + 2nd years) were drowning and pulled it back.

Since I'm not in med school yet, I don't have a complete grasp on how everything works, but how much should attendance policies play into decision making? I know ACOM has like 60% mandatory, now PCOM-GA has 80%, and I believe the LECOMs are 100% but not sure. For students is 60% or 80% mandatory attendance really bad? I mean I know that 100% wouldn't work for me, but the others seem okay. So if any students have anything to say about this I would appreciate it.

It should play a large roll for specifically DO schools, especially the schools that are private or the not original 5 (PCOM-Philly, DCOM, KCOM, CCOM). When spring 2nd year comes around you have reviewed most of the high yield topics for boards. Most curriculums reserve spring for the easier concepts. A lot of people need personal time to look for your weaknesses (taking Qbanks) and improve. So you will only go to the classes that will be efficient or help you improve.

Most people learn in different ways. The way some professors explain topics will work for some and others it doesn't help. You need the freedom to tailor or education to how you learn best. Either it entails utilizing board resources or sitting through a powerpoint lecture. Some people will need to spend more time with one concept and less time with another. For some people it doesn't work as well with class lecture because you are averaging out your time among everything. So you will be sitting in one class that is really easy for you and honestly a waste of time.

At the end of the day, you are the one taking your boards. How you perform depends on you alone. You need the freedom to have the choice to go to class or not.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm sorry to hear that. I was browsing on PCOM website and looked at their COMLEX scores for the past several years and they're right around national average and some years above, so I thought that's pretty decent. I mean there's always people failing, it's rare for a school to have 100% pass rate, but anywhere in the mid-90s to high 90s% is consider good to me.

On their website is only their comlex level III scores, not level I.

Holy crap this is my dream school. Are you a first year there?

yup. I should have stuck to my other acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
On their website is only their comlex level III scores, not level I.

yup. I should have stuck to my other acceptance.
My bad. Do you know where I can find the passing rate for COMLEX I and II? Or do you have any idea of the percentage?

My advisor letter , said ,I’m her advisee in the letter! Do you guys think that’s enough for them to tell that the letter was from my academic advisor? The lady I spoke to say my letter were good it just won’t be marked as received until I pay the money.. I don’t think she was telling the truth though because would they check letter before paying ?

On AACOMAS it has the South Georgia campus listed as "Doctoral" instead of "DO" like the rest of them. Why is it different? It would be the same degree at South Georgia right?

On AACOMAS it has the South Georgia campus listed as "Doctoral" instead of "DO" like the rest of them. Why is it different? It would be the same degree at South Georgia right?
Yes .... it’s DO program

I was LITERALLY panicking because a faculty member said "we had the lowest board score increases out of all DO schools in the nation" at this meeting, cuing the mandatory class policy. And like...I freaked out.

SO did some digging and talked to several people (a little too many lol), and I finally figured out the general average for USMLE step 1 scores for the people who took it and are currently fourth years right now. Average out of about 50% of the class is a 230, which is about average for all allopathic schools. I couldn't get any info about the exact average COMLEX Level I scores cause "that is strictly confidential", but I was advised that they do indeed have the lowest COMLEX Level III scores out of all DO schools (Taken in residency), but always are above average for COMLEX Level I and usually equal to the Philly campus (I was only given a range of 530's-540's, with people actually approaching mid-high 600's)

This school has several faculty members that will advise you to take the USMLE especially with the merger, and while the OMM staff keep telling us that they prepare us strictly for the COMLEX, they are in denial in what would take us to the next level....literally everybody I've talked to, and professors will mention in class that they want you to take the USMLE.

I honestly think that you doing well on your boards has to do with your own way of studying and approach to your own future, cause in the end, it's the work you put into it that will get you your score. I'm already planning for that fact...so many people in our class expect to be spoon-fed information in class/lab, "just barely want to get through medical school", and aren't willing to put in the work to do well, and that's scary, cause these will be the people who will be clueless around boards time...whereas I'm literally making plans to prepare for it now. Just got to be smart. Like I'm already planning to be studying for boards starting right now, paying attention to board-relevant material in class, and my dedicated time will start 3rd term of 2nd year, which have "easy classes" and only worth 12 credits vs. 21 for the 1st term.

I'm a GA-PCOM Class of 2015 graduate...my class was the first with expanded class size and the first attempts to make class mandatory due to board pass rates. Please feel free to message me if you have questions or need advice. Current chief resident in an ACGME program...messaging is better since I'm not on SDN often.

Is anybody still waiting for a secondary from this school? I know it doesn't screen. I just don't know why it's taking them so long to send out secondaries. Should I call and ask?

For everyone complaining about attending class! Make the best out if it. at least you have the chance to become a doctor!

Is anybody still waiting for a secondary from this school? I know it doesn't screen. I just don't know why it's taking them so long to send out secondaries. Should I call and ask?
I was about to asking the same thing, I contacted them..they just are slower than most schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was LITERALLY panicking because a faculty member said "we had the lowest board score increases out of all DO schools in the nation" at this meeting, cuing the mandatory class policy. And like...I freaked out.

SO did some digging and talked to several people (a little too many lol), and I finally figured out the general average for USMLE step 1 scores for the people who took it and are currently fourth years right now. Average out of about 50% of the class is a 230, which is about average for all allopathic schools. I couldn't get any info about the exact average COMLEX Level I scores cause "that is strictly confidential", but I was advised that they do indeed have the lowest COMLEX Level III scores out of all DO schools (Taken in residency), but always are above average for COMLEX Level I and usually equal to the Philly campus (I was only given a range of 530's-540's, with people actually approaching mid-high 600's)

This school has several faculty members that will advise you to take the USMLE especially with the merger, and while the OMM staff keep telling us that they prepare us strictly for the COMLEX, they are in denial in what would take us to the next level....literally everybody I've talked to, and professors will mention in class that they want you to take the USMLE.

I honestly think that you doing well on your boards has to do with your own way of studying and approach to your own future, cause in the end, it's the work you put into it that will get you your score. I'm already planning for that fact...so many people in our class expect to be spoon-fed information in class/lab, "just barely want to get through medical school", and aren't willing to put in the work to do well, and that's scary, cause these will be the people who will be clueless around boards time...whereas I'm literally making plans to prepare for it now. Just got to be smart. Like I'm already planning to be studying for boards starting right now, paying attention to board-relevant material in class, and my dedicated time will start 3rd term of 2nd year, which have "easy classes" and only worth 12 credits vs. 21 for the 1st term.

umm.... that has to be the dumbest thing I've read lmaoooooooooooooooooooooo. okay gunner, okay.
Who in our class expects to be spoon fed? Everyone is trying. You can go start prepping for your boards right now, yea go ahead. While you do that, we'll all be studying for our main SPOM exam coming up. Who's "barely" trying to get through medical school? That's not the vibe at all.

Reactions: 1 users
umm.... that has to be the dumbest thing I've read lmaoooooooooooooooooooooo. okay gunner, okay.
Who in our class expects to be spoon fed? Everyone is trying. You can go start prepping for your boards right now, yea go ahead. While you do that, we'll all be studying for our main SPOM exam coming up. Who's "barely" trying to get through medical school? That's not the vibe at all.

How strict are they on the mandatory attendance policy? What happens if we don't show up? Thanks for being on here and answering our lowly pre-med questions!

submitted secondary yesterday (8/21), all my LORs were marked as complete this morning. How long do they take to reach out for an interview? All PCOM campuses btw

So Pcom south ga won’t recieve accreditation until December... should I still submit the application ? It’s only accepting 55 students as well... in from LA, seems like they are trying to target south ga students specifically

many people in our class expect to be spoon-fed information in class/lab, "just barely want to get through medical school", and aren't willing to put in the work to do well, and that's scary, cause these will be the people who will be clueless around boards time..

Most people don't need to be "spoon fed" but SPOM is ridiculous. Its a bunch of PHDs (and two retired MDs, who actually know whats important) trying to teach you "clinical applications" but they also need to teach you the barebones of material (so you'll have an idea what people are talking about 2nd year). You are literally getting a small dose of everything. On top of that, you'll realize later theres a much simpler explanation for a lot of things they try to teach you in SPOM.

Trust me everyone is preparing boards on day one. People just get embarrassed being labeled as a "gunner". It just helps some people feel better to say "oh I never study" (when in reality they are just studying a lot at home). Everybody in your class is working really hard. You have maybe 10/~130 people in your class that are either ridiculously smart (and don't need to work hard) or are really lazy and you will see them retaking SPOM while you are a 2nd year.

Gotta Agree most of your class is giving off the "gunner vibe" right now. But you guys haven't taken a SPOM test yet. Every class has this phase then most of you chill out.

Just wondering, for those admitted, did PCOM allow grade replacement? Or did they look at your GPAs without grade replacement? Thanks a lot! And CONGRATS!!

has anyone received a complete email from PCOM yet?

has anyone received a complete email from PCOM yet?
They don’t send complete emails. Once all your items are marked as received, you are up for review. Next email will be about interview or rejection

Secondary was complete 8/7. Has anyone heard anything back from them or know how long it normally takes to hear something?

Secondary was complete 8/7. Has anyone heard anything back from them or know how long it normally takes to hear something?
Wondering the same! They said first interviews are mid September so hopefully we here any day now

No II here, but I am with you. I have a feeling they are sending some out today for the September interviews.
Yeah it has to be any day now to give people a decent time of notice

Philadelphia campus started sending out interviews this morning ! Hopefully Georgia follows suit

So it looks like interviews won’t be initiated until next week hopefully

So it looks like interviews won’t be initiated until next week hopefully

TBH, I haven't even received an email regarding interview schedule and I'm partially involved in the interview day. Not interviewing just one of the med students that you sit with during lunch.

It looks like PCOM admissions in general is really pushing back their admissions timeline.

TBH, I haven't even received an email regarding interview schedule and I'm partially involved in the interview day. Not interviewing just one of the med students that you sit with during lunch.

It looks like PCOM admissions in general is really pushing back their admissions timeline.
So when do you think we will know . Philadelphia campus already started sending interview out

How strict are they on the mandatory attendance policy? What happens if we don't show up? Thanks for being on here and answering our lowly pre-med questions!

Every class the professors have an iclicker question scattered throughout lectures. So they'll know if you're not there.
They're pretty strict as far as I know. If you don't show up consistently, I'd assume student affairs will talk to you (if you miss the 20%) and then you'll get written up for "professionalism."

Unfortunately it sucks a lot, since a lot of classes are a waste of time to even show up for and you can self study it (learned that after the 1st exam, that like majority of what the professors talk about isn't even tested, and I could have instead spent my time using other resources during that time).

Anyone hear anything yet? Interview are suppose to start pretty soon

Got an interview invitation this morning via email

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys! 2nd year here. Congrats to those that received an II.

To those who haven't received an interview invite yet. Do not fret just yet (no matter your complete date)

I just got an email regarding interview schedule. A couple changes I noticed compared to last year. They pushed back a lot of interview dates. Our first interview isn't even scheduled until mid September. Last year the first interview occurred in mid august. Also Interviews used to occur every Friday from September to March. This year there we do not have an interview date scheduled on a weekly basis. It is scheduled a little more sporadically on Mondays and Fridays.

I wouldn't over analyze this too much. The first batch of IIs are going to have MD type numbers then GA-PCOM will get around to the normal guys/gals around November/December.

On a side note, if you haven't completed your secondary yet. I would suggest you work on it ASAP. Have your complete email by October 1st.

To those who haven't received an interview invite yet. Do not fret just yet (no matter your complete date)

I just got an email regarding interview schedule. A couple changes I noticed compared to last year. They pushed back a lot of interview dates. Our first interview isn't even scheduled until mid September. Last year the first interview occurred in mid august. Also Interviews used to occur every Friday from September to March. This year there we do not have an interview date scheduled on a weekly basis. It is scheduled a little more sporadically on Mondays and Fridays.

I wouldn't over analyze this too much. The first batch of IIs are going to have MD type numbers then GA-PCOM will get around to the normal guys/gals around November/December.

On a side note, if you haven't completed your secondary yet. I would suggest you work on it ASAP. Have your complete email by October 1st.
How’s do you know they send out high Mcat first? That wouldn’t make sense esp if someone with a lower Mcat has better experience and a better reason for osteopathic

Two that’s kind of counterintuitive, I think they go through applications in the order they were received .

Two that’s kind of counterintuitive, I think they go through applications in the order they were received .

I don't think considering applications in the order they are received has any bearing on giving interviews in the same manner. Sure (completely hypothetical), they may only consider applications complete from June-July for the first batch of interviews, but they will not say "well this person has an MCAT of 501 and this one has an MCAT of 510, but the 501 was complete before the 510 so we should interview them first." I think every school is going to interview the comprehensively most competitive applicants that applied to there school first, even if that means people who submitted a little after me or you, but have a more competitive application get interviewed first. Of course, most DO schools should be abiding by their holistic principles they tout, but I think @getfat is correct. While they are not an adcom, they are making good points. You will, on average, see the more statistically competitive people getting interviews first, with the osteopathic focused applicants mixed in at most likely a lower number.

Now I am not an adcom, medical student, nor an expert on these matters. But this is my 3rd application cycle. So I can promise I've seen the trends.

I don't think considering applications in the order they are received has any bearing on giving interviews in the same manner. Sure (completely hypothetical), they may only consider applications complete from June-July for the first batch of interviews, but they will not say "well this person has an MCAT of 501 and this one has an MCAT of 510, but the 501 was complete before the 510 so we should interview them first." I think every school is going to interview the comprehensively most competitive applicants that applied to there school first, even if that means people who submitted a little after me or you, but have a more competitive application get interviewed first. Of course, most DO schools should be abiding by their holistic principles they tout, but I think @getfat is correct. While they are not an adcom, they are making good points. You will, on average, see the more statistically competitive people getting interviews first, with the osteopathic focused applicants mixed in at most likely a lower number.

Now I am not an adcom, medical student, nor an expert on these matters. But this is my 3rd application cycle. So I can promise I've seen the trends.
I’ve heard of people get first batch interviews with 500s and others get declined with 510 very early on. They look at the entire application

I’ve heard of people get first batch interviews with 500s and others get declined with 510 very early on. They look at the entire application

I completely agree. That's why I said they will have osteopathic focused applicants mixed in with those more competitive apps, but most likely at a lower number in the beginning interviews.

I completely agree. That's why I said they will have osteopathic focused applicants mixed in with those more competitive apps, but most likely at a lower number in the beginning interviews.
True

Kind of freaking out that people are starting to get II