2018-2019 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (Philadelphia Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know this is probably a bias forum to post this in, but when/would you guys pick PCOM over an MD offer? I was accepted to GeisingerCSCOM, and I'm really struggling to decide between the two. I LOVED PCOM and really was so excited to go, but now am hearing really conflicting things about choosing DO over MD...any advice would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is probably a bias forum to post this in, but when/would you guys pick PCOM over an MD offer? I was accepted to GeisingerCSCOM, and I'm really struggling to decide between the two. I LOVED PCOM and really was so excited to go, but now am hearing really conflicting things about choosing DO over MD...any advice would be appreciated

Depends on what you want to do. General consensus is that it is easier to get into highly competitive and surgical specialty residencies as an MD. However if you are interested in family med/primary care then I am of the opinion that DO is a better route to take. 80% of people will probably just tell you to take the MD, this is Just my take

Reactions: 1 user
Because this has been discussed ad nauseam on SDN here's a nice summary:
MD VS DO

My input is go MD because doors will be opened to you more easily, historically speaking. However, all specialty fields are doable with a DO degree.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on what you want to do. General consensus is that it is easier to get into highly competitive and surgical specialty residencies as an MD. However if you are interested in family med/primary care then I am of the opinion that DO is a better route to take. 80% of people will probably just tell you to take the MD, this is Just my take

Because this has been discussed ad nauseam on SDN here's a nice summary:
MD VS DO

My input is go MD because doors will be opened to you more easily, historically speaking. However, all specialty fields are doable with a DO degree.

thank you guys! I have read a lot of the MD vs. DO forums, but was wondering since PCOM is like top notch DO school if it would offer more opportunities than Geisinger which is more of a middle tier MD school. Really appreciate the input!

I would say go with the place that you believe will make you the happiest. It sounds like you really like PCOM, so don't let the fact that other people have opinions on DO schools hold you back! There are opportunities everywhere, but medical school can be rough so it would be best to choose the place that you believe will be the most supportive environment for yourself.

Reactions: 4 users
Any current student know if PCOM gives any scholarships/need based aid (not loans) at all?

Has anyone made a facebook page for class of 2023?

Reactions: 1 users
Still waiting on a decision from November interview
tenor.gif

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone accepted looking at the prices for apartments in Philly and wondering how on earth to afford living there on the amount of loans they give you? :eek:

Anyone accepted looking at the prices for apartments in Philly and wondering how on earth to afford living there on the amount of loans they give you? :eek:
Look at Manayunk. It's more affordable than most and a popular area for students and young professionals!

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Look at Manayunk. It's more affordable than most and a popular area for students and young professionals!

Really? Cheapest one I saw in Manayunk was $1000+ for a studio. Maybe I'm missing something.

Last edited:
Silence after being complete since August :(

Even had an alumni write me a letter for PCOM exclusively :(

Reactions: 3 users
Were you added to the facebook page? I sent a friend request and did not get a response.

Does anyone know when orientation is for the incoming class in the Fall? I can't seem to find this anywhere. I know last year's Fall term started August 13th but not sure if its the same and if this includes orientation or if it before this date

Does anyone know when orientation is for the incoming class in the Fall? I can't seem to find this anywhere. I know last year's Fall term started August 13th but not sure if its the same and if this includes orientation or if it before this date
From what I know orientation usually starts 10 days before the official start of term.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone been accepted into the facebook page yet? I'm just not sure how that process works/whos running it

I was accepted to DO/PhD two weeks ago and just withdrew the offer

So I just discovered the Getting Started page on myPCOM and realized there is a lot of pre-matriculation things to do (surveys, orders, photo ID etc). How strict are these deadlines they gave us to turn them in? They say they should be submitted within 2, 3, or 8 weeks after recieving username and password depending on which item we're talking about.

I'm already late to a bunch of them so I wanted to bring it to everyone's attention in case they missed it as well. Its not like they will rescind my acceptance or anything for this right? Its my understanding it just needs to be done in a timely manner before orientation (I'll get to work on them ASAP) so there's some wiggle room but would love some input or reassurance.

edit: Oh any merry christmas/happy holidays everyone! Enjoy this time whether you are waiting on interviews, deciding between schools, or already set on attending!

So I just discovered the Getting Started page on myPCOM and realized there is a lot of pre-matriculation things to do (surveys, orders, photo ID etc). How strict are these deadlines they gave us to turn them in? They say they should be submitted within 2, 3, or 8 weeks after recieving username and password depending on which item we're talking about.

I'm already late to a bunch of them so I wanted to bring it to everyone's attention in case they missed it as well. Its not like they will rescind my acceptance or anything for this right? Its my understanding it just needs to be done in a timely manner before orientation (I'll get to work on them ASAP) so there's some wiggle room but would love some input or reassurance.

edit: Oh any merry christmas/happy holidays everyone! Enjoy this time whether you are waiting on interviews, deciding between schools, or already set on attending!

Thanks for this!! Looks like I need to see my doctor soon and get all these things done. Merry Christmas everyone!

*sigh* Acceptances are in big envelopes, right? Think some decisions are coming our way. Nov-early Dec interviews.

It’s not over until it’s over, keep hope alive!
Yep. I'm not sure I'd be thrilled with a hold or waitlist after last year's headache but at least it wouldn't be a rejection :sour:

Are you waiting for a decision?

Yep. I'm not sure I'd be thrilled with a hold or waitlist after last year's headache but at least it wouldn't be a rejection :sour:

Are you waiting for a decision?

I am, I was going to wait until I heard back but I didn’t want to leave you anxious alone lol

*sigh* Acceptances are in big envelopes, right? Think some decisions are coming our way. Nov-early Dec interviews.
Also got a notice and just got my mail...to anyone disappointed by a picture of a small envelope it’s just a Christmas card! No need to panic yet

Also got a notice and just got my mail...to anyone disappointed by a picture of a small envelope it’s just a Christmas card! No need to panic yet
Maybe that’s what mine is *shrug* Can’t lie I’m ready to just get a decision

What kind of sick game are they playing lol

UPDATE: decided to check my portal and there was a deposit link posted!!