2018-2019 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (Philadelphia Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also awaiting word. Interviewed 1/16.

Members don't see this ad.

Been complete since October. At this point, just waiting for my rejection email in June.
I tried calling them to follow up on whether I get an interview and said they don't do phone updates. At this point, do I just expect a rejection?

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried calling them to follow up on whether I get an interview and said they don't do phone updates. At this point, do I just expect a rejection?

At this point in the cycle, your odds are not good, honestly (though they may boosted by PA resident status or high stats, if either of those applies). PCOM is known for filling its class early.

At this point in the cycle, your odds are not good, honestly (though they may boosted by PA resident status or high stats, if either of those applies). PCOM is known for filling its class early.
I understand. Is there a way I could reiterate my level of interest? Perhaps a letter of intent?

I understand. Is there a way I could reiterate my level of interest? Perhaps a letter of intent?

They explicitly say they don't want any updates from applicants. Due to its huge application volume, PCOM is the least applicant-friendly DO school.

Where did you find out they do not accept updates? On the portal it says “Note that you are welcome to submit significant updates to your applicant record (newly graded coursework or MCAT scores).” but nowhere does it explicitly say “do not send any other updates.”
During their open house event they said it's okay to send significant updates such as mcat and related coursework, but if you send things that aren't that important it will work against you.

Where did you find out they do not accept updates? On the portal it says “Note that you are welcome to submit significant updates to your applicant record (newly graded coursework or MCAT scores).” but nowhere does it explicitly say “do not send any other updates.”
You answered your own question, significant updates of grades and MCAT scores. They tell you what you can send, why should they have to tell you what not to send.

Reactions: 1 user
During their open house event they said it's okay to send significant updates such as mcat and related coursework, but if you send things that aren't that important it will work against you.
They actually said that it would work against you?! That I’ve never heard before.

They actually said that it would work against you?! That I’ve never heard before.
They said it doesn't look good if, you example, reach out just to add to your application that say you got a promotion at work. Like general "upgrades" won't help you. It will just frustrate them that you're kind of "distracting" them.

You answered your own question, significant updates of grades and MCAT scores. They tell you what you can send, why should they have to tell you what not to send.
I tried to update by sending updated grades. PCOM didn't accept it.

I tried to update by sending updated grades. PCOM didn't accept it.
You don't send anything directly to them, all of it should go through AACOMAS and then if they want to see it they can, grades scores

I tried sending an update/LOI to PCOM admissions. Got a generic template email back saying that the admissions committee doesn't consider updates except for official transcripts and MCAT scores sent through AACOMAS. Not unexpected, but bummer. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried sending an update/LOI to PCOM admissions. Got a generic template email back saying that the admissions committee doesn't consider updates except for official transcripts and MCAT scores sent through AACOMAS. Not unexpected, but bummer. :(
Knowing what we now know about letters of interest and updates possibly hurting your chances more than helping I’d be careful about sending any more letters.

Knowing what we now know about letters of interest and updates possibly hurting your chances more than helping I’d be careful about sending any more letters.

Lol, it's February. PCOM's class is almost certainly full. Nothing can hurt your chances when your chances are just about zero. I sent a genuine, heartfelt letter to PCOM about my recent accomplishments and my interest. If PCOM wants to throw my application away over that then so be it.

Reactions: 2 users
Lol, it's February. PCOM's class is almost certainly full. Nothing can hurt your chances when your chances are just about zero. I sent a genuine, heartfelt letter to PCOM about my recent accomplishments and my interest. If PCOM wants to throw my application away over that then so be it.
Hey I agree, I don’t think an update should be disqualifying at all but that response from admissions committee member at that open house @klig123 spoke of makes it sound like it may be a mark against an applicant — which sucks. Idk if it has more or less of an impact pre-II or post-interview.

Hey I agree, I don’t think an update should be disqualifying at all but that response from admissions committee member at that open house @klig123 spoke of makes it sound like it may be a mark against an applicant — which sucks. Idk if it has more or less of an impact pre-II or post-interview.

I sent them a heartfelt email to express my interest in attending PCOM. If that justifies making "marks" against me, then so be it. PCOM can mark me for whatever they want. If they have a bias against people who truly want to go to PCOM, then that's their prerogative.

If a woman I'm deeply in love with holds it against me when I openly express my feelings toward her, then maybe she wasn't worth loving in the first place. (I'm obviously not comparing PCOM to a woman, but the principle standards.)

I do not think it is that they do not care. If you update AACOMAS with your grades and MCAT then they have access to that and it is easier to access that information as opposed to having to go through a file again. And really letters of intent are not worth the paper they are written on. They know that some are heartfelt but some just send them out hoping to get an acceptance. If you send an email to them be sure it is addressed correctly. My friend saw two that were addressed to other schools but sent to PCOM. What does that tell them?

I do not think it is that they do not care. If you update AACOMAS with your grades and MCAT then they have access to that and it is easier to access that information as opposed to having to go through a file again. And really letters of intent are not worth the paper they are written on. They know that some are heartfelt but some just send them out hoping to get an acceptance. If you send an email to them be sure it is addressed correctly. My friend saw two that were addressed to other schools but sent to PCOM. What does that tell them?
Of course people are hoping for an acceptance. Isn't that the point of those letters? Getting into medical school is tough. I think most people mean well when they send updates and letters of intent but the reason it probably bothers places like PCOM is because they receive so many apps and it would be daunting to have to revisit the files for every letter--so they discourage it. Maybe it's more useful for waitlist apps /people that are on the short list for acceptance because those people are reviewed constantly at committee meetings. Anyway, I'm sure admissions still gets their fair share of update letters pre-II and post-interview but whether it gets read by the committee is another story; you really have no way of knowing half the time when you email or mail off messages to admissions. Sometimes it's best to just wait, I learned this last year after hanging out on the wait list.

Last edited:
Forgive me if this was already asked on here, but does anyone know when we will have access to our award money/Federal/GRAD plus loans? My FAFSA has been processed for a couple of weeks now

I'm wondering if the decisions mail are running a bit behind schedule since its later in the cycle, any thoughts? I just interviewed at another school and they said they are running around 6 weeks to give back a decision. Just an anxious, curious applicant :)

I'm wondering if the decisions mail are running a bit behind schedule since its later in the cycle, any thoughts? I just interviewed at another school and they said they are running around 6 weeks to give back a decision. Just an anxious, curious applicant :)
I don’t think they’re behind schedule. I see you interviewed 1/14. It can take up to 5 weeks to get a decision from PCOM. I’m sure you’ll receive something from admissions very soon you’re still within the standard wait time. Some people get decisions sooner because their interview dates are closer to when the admissions committee meets.

Reactions: 1 users

Apparently the committee met yesterday. So just hold tight.

Just withdrew my application from here, since I've been admitted to a couple of other programs that seem much friendlier to applicants. I find it slightly upsetting how little communication there was from PCOM since applying and being complete right from the start of PCOM's cycle. It feels like applying here was a donation.

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone know what date the most recent II was sent out?

Something from PCOM came in the mail today, but it looks like a small envelope (I’m signed up for mail alerts via email so I get pictures of the mail coming to me) and I’m freaking out bc I can’t open it until work. But idk I’m so nervous.

Something from PCOM came in the mail today, but it looks like a small envelope (I’m signed up for mail alerts via email so I get pictures of the mail coming to me) and I’m freaking out bc I can’t open it until work. But idk I’m so nervous.

Fingers crossed for you! When did you interview?

Yeah the class is probably close to filled so could be a WL or DD (at this point they're pretty much the same thing to me). Hoping for the best for you.