2018-2019 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (Philadelphia Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received secondary yesterday.

Does selecting "No" for Are you a native English speaker * and then selecting "Option #1: English was the only language of instruction at my undergraduate institution" negatively affect my chances? I am an immigrant who came to USA in the beginning of high school and am now a dual citizen of USA and native country. I went to a US college for my BS degree. The language barriers issue has also been briefly mentioned in my personal statement.

Or should I just say "Yes" for Are you a native English speaker *? Because, I even think in English now (instead of my native language that I used to when I first immigrated).

This is literally my predicament as well. If you put “no” it also asks if you’ve ever taken ESL curriculum and I did all throughout my earlier years as a student (I got here a much younger than you). So I don’t really know how to answer this lol

Members don't see this ad.

This is literally my predicament as well. If you put “no” it also asks if you’ve ever taken ESL curriculum and I did all throughout my earlier years as a student (I got here a much younger than you). So I don’t really know how to answer this lol
Yeah, if I choose "No" for Are you a native English speaker *, I did choose "Yes" for Have you ever taken an ESL Curriculum? * because I took 1.5 or so years of ESL.
Let me know what you end up choosing!

I only read the 2 science faculty LOR part not that the 3rd has to be faculty too! Oh well I submitted so we will see what happens

Members don't see this ad :)
My portal online says that my letters of recommendation haven't been received but they were submitted on AACOMAS in June...
You need to pay the fee before they will do anything with your application.

So since it is only 1 supplemental application, we still have to pay the fee for each campus though, right? Wanting to check in before I spend 150, instead of 75 lol

Yeah, if I choose "No" for Are you a native English speaker *, I did choose "Yes" for Have you ever taken an ESL Curriculum? * because I took 1.5 or so years of ESL.
Let me know what you end up choosing!

I think I’ going to submit with no on native English because my primary language is indeed Spanish. And the. Chose option one for English was the only language at my undergrad school since I haven’t left the states since I got here and all my educations been here. And then yes to ESL.

It’s a little wonky but I think with my transcripts they’ll know what I mean and see where I went

Reactions: 1 user
So since it is only 1 supplemental application, we still have to pay the fee for each campus though, right? Wanting to check in before I spend 150, instead of 75 lol
I am unsure about this as well, but I think we do need to pay for both. I will wait to hear from the community on this though before I spend more money haha.

Got the secondary, but don't have an option to complete the application. Do I have to pay the fee first? I have the fee waiver so I'm waiting on a response back in email
so in the invitation email there are 2 links, one for your portal and one for your essay question. I thought the same at first

I am unsure about this as well, but I think we do need to pay for both. I will wait to hear from the community on this though before I spend more money haha.

My verification email after submitting my secondary for the Philadelphia campus reads:

"Should you choose to apply to another PCOM Campus for our 2019 DO program, the completed supplemental document will be copied to the new applicant record once your application fee has been paid for that campus"

Since it says "once your application fee has been paid for that campus" I am assuming you have to pay twice! Hoping this helps. If you are still iffy I would try and email them to make sure.

How are you approaching the secondary prompt? Is this more of a "why pcom" essay or a "why should you accept me" type essay?
I was wondering the same thing! The prompt is a bit unclear.

I was wondering the same thing! The prompt is a bit unclear.
That prompt is super confusing...I basically wrote about my background/life goal and how that has influenced me to pursue osteopathic medicine at PCOM....how my goals line up with the mission osteopathic medicine has.

That prompt is super confusing...I basically wrote about my background/life goal and how that has influenced me to pursue osteopathic medicine at PCOM....how my goals line up with the mission osteopathic medicine has.

This prompt feels like a three in one to me and there's also not a large word count so you really have to be concise.

Anybody else still waiting on a secondary?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm approaching the prompt as a diversity one that talks about my characteristics and then at the end tying it back to osteopathy... no clue if that's what they're looking for at all.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm approaching the prompt as a diversity one that talks about my characteristics and then at the end tying it back to osteopathy... no clue if that's what they're looking for at all.
I wrote about how my experiences taught me x. y. and z. and how by becoming part of the pcom community... I feel like its a little open ended so there's not a completely wrong way to do this

Last secondary received (8/6) and submitted (8/7)!
GPA ~3.9, MCAT 505
Hoping for good news; PCOM's my top choice school :) Best of Luck, Everyone!!

Last edited:
Do the PCOM and PCOM-GA admissions offices operate completely separately? I am planning on using the same secondary response to both.

Do the PCOM and PCOM-GA admissions offices operate completely separately? I am planning on using the same secondary response to both.
There is only one secondary you fill out and it goes to all three PCOMs if you applied to all three

2' sent today, 8/7. Hoping for good news down the line.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know if the other locations have the same curriculum / strengths as the Philly campus?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I know this has been touched on previously, but I just want to clarify. I applied to PCOM, PCOM-Georgia, and PCOM-South Georgia. I understand that my one supplemental application will be sent to all three schools, but do I have to pay $75 three times for each separate school for them each to process the supplemental application?

I know this has been touched on previously, but I just want to clarify. I applied to PCOM, PCOM-Georgia, and PCOM-South Georgia. I understand that my one supplemental application will be sent to all three schools, but do I have to pay $75 three times for each separate school for them each to process the supplemental application?
Yes. I submitted and paid $75 for Philly and $75 for Georgia yesterday. When I printed the receipt, it listed the campus location on it each time.

Yes. I submitted and paid $75 for Philly and $75 for Georgia yesterday. When I printed the receipt, it listed the campus location on it each time.
That is what I figured as well. Just wanted to be certain. Just paid for all three.

Ok, I have a question. I submitted my secondary today, and saw that my letters of rec haven’t been received. All of my letters have been uploaded to AACOMAS for a couple of weeks now. Did this happen to anyone else?

Ok, I have a question. I submitted my secondary today, and saw that my letters of rec haven’t been received. All of my letters have been uploaded to AACOMAS for a couple of weeks now. Did this happen to anyone else?

In the email after you submit the supplemental app:

"Please allow 15 days for processing of items once delivered."

In the portal it days it will take up to 15 days to mark everything complete

You also need to pay the fee before they will do anything in your application

How'd you guys talk about "personal characteristics " for the essay?
im also at a stand still with this essay because of that. i dont really know how to interpret it lol

im also at a stand still with this essay because of that. i dont really know how to interpret it lol

Honestly at the end of the day these essays are used for them to judge our personalities, so I just talked about the different traits I hold that parallel their mission and osteopathy as a whole. Didn't really talk about experiences that demonstrated my interest since thats in my AACOMAS either way.

could be wrong tho

can anyone kindly post the secondary prompts here?

can anyone kindly post the secondary prompts here?
I don't have it in front of me, but its roughly "Noting the mission and objectives of the Osteopathic profession and PCOM, describe your characteristics that make you interested/fit this profession" with a 250 word limit.

I don't have it in front of me, but its roughly "Noting the mission and objectives of the Osteopathic profession and PCOM, describe your characteristics that make you interested/fit this profession" with a 250 word limit.

Just one question? Cool. Thanks a lot for your help!

How'd you guys talk about "personal characteristics " for the essay?
I briefly talked about 3 personal characteristics/passions, why they're important to me, and how they relate and contribute to my interest in osteopathic medicine

are there any non trad students applying? I have 2 LORs from profs, but I have no idea how to get the third so I am sorta bummed I can't do the secondary..

are there any non trad students applying? I have 2 LORs from profs, but I have no idea how to get the third so I am sorta bummed I can't do the secondary..
have you shadowed any doctors? maybe even your employer? You should contact the school and ask if an employer's letter would be okay or not.

Call them and explain to them your situation. They might allow you to substitute that letter with a professional one.

Does anyone know how strict the school is with verifying LORs? Their email says "the course number and title must be noted in the letter" but I'm not sure if my professors included that specific information.

Does anyone know how strict the school is with verifying LORs? Their email says "the course number and title must be noted in the letter" but I'm not sure if my professors included that specific information.
I wouldn't stress it. Most, if not all, letter writers will use the first paragraph so say how they know you, so I imagine they would have put in the specific class title.

I am 38 and am definitely in the non-trad category. I got two profs, one DO I shadowed a bit and someone I’ve worked with over the years. My supervisor at one of my jobs was unable to finish his letter. Three deaths in his family in less than a month.

So let that be a lesson to you, have extras in mind.

Oh man, I don’t know either! Let the neuroses kick into high gear.

I am 38 and am definitely in the non-trad category. I got two profs, one DO I shadowed a bit and someone I’ve worked with over the years. My supervisor at one of my jobs was unable to finish his letter. Three deaths in his family in less than a month.

So let that be a lesson to you, have extras in mind.

I contacted the school, and they said no exceptions... So I am scrambling to find a third professor. =/