2018-2019 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (Philadelphia Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am 38 and am definitely in the non-trad category. I got two profs, one DO I shadowed a bit and someone I’ve worked with over the years. My supervisor at one of my jobs was unable to finish his letter. Three deaths in his family in less than a month.

So let that be a lesson to you, have extras in mind.
I’m a non-grad! 34, healthcare practitioner wanting to be a physician. I was so young when I started grad school but not anymore. Life sucks. :/

Members don't see this ad.

I contacted the school, and they said no exceptions... So I am scrambling to find a third professor. =/

From their brochure: “
A LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION
from your pre-health or academic advisor/ committee (undergraduate, post- baccalaureate or graduate programs). NOTE: This is the preferred letter of recommendation by the DO Faculty Committee on Admissions.”

What am I missing then? I have two faculty letters (one was from my graduate advisor), a DO, and one more.

I guess I will have to call them.

From their brochure: “
A LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION
from your pre-health or academic advisor/ committee (undergraduate, post- baccalaureate or graduate programs). NOTE: This is the preferred letter of recommendation by the DO Faculty Committee on Admissions.”

What am I missing then? I have two faculty letters (one was from my graduate advisor), a DO, and one more.

I guess I will have to call them.
ah No you are ok then! it was that OR 3 prof letters :) sorry!

Members don't see this ad :)
didn’t receive a secondary yet, did anyone call them? or should I just hold tight

didn’t receive a secondary yet, did anyone call them? or should I just hold tight
I emailed admissions and they said they're still uploading applications, so hold tight!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how strict the school is with verifying LORs? Their email says "the course number and title must be noted in the letter" but I'm not sure if my professors included that specific information.
Dang, I doubt my writers included the course number, how the hell do they expect you to be prepared for that little request... I can't even read my letters to find out, did you ask about this too when you called?

Dang, I doubt my writers included the course number, how the hell do they expect you to be prepared for that little request... I can't even read my letters to find out, did you ask about this too when you called?
When I emailed the adcom office, they said that they will reach out to you if they need any more information... so I think we will all be okay :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! the PCOM mission mentions "teaching." Does it mean professors to students or students to each other?

Logged on to my portal and noticed all requirements have been received. Good luck everyone!

Logged on to my portal and noticed all requirements have been received. Good luck everyone!

Dang. Submitted my secondary already but still waiting on that tab to say Received.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am totally struggling with this prompt! so simple.. yet so difficult..

So I had to contact one of my LOR writers to inform them they need to resubmit the letter with official letterhead. I swear, I told them of this but I had the same problem with this writer three years ago when i first applied. Oh well, hopefully it can be resolved within a week and I can be marked complete and undergo review

does anyone know if attendance for lectures is mandatory? apparently the GA campus has made the switch so wondering about philly

Does this school screen? I am just wondering why it takes them so long to send out secondaries if it doesn't screen. Is anybody still waiting for a secondary?

"Noting the missions and objectives of the Osteopathic profession and PCOM, please describe your personal characteristics that demonstrate your interest in this field. Include an example of an event in which your actions directly influenced the life of another person and relate this to your goal of becoming a DO. (Max 250 words)"

I posted the prompt earlier- same exact one as last year.

I was checking the application summary and it stated that I needed to resubmit one of my LOR showing courses taken... Do I have the professor send a copy of the letter with what courses I took with him or resubmit to AACOMAS because I thought once verified you can't have letters resubmitted?

I would like to know this too! Not sure if they can just resubmit to AACOMAS...

Hey everyone-

Just checked my portal and saw that I was complete. I was looking at the instructions and saw that “no more updates will be provided on this portal” and that they don’t accept calls or emails.

Does this just mean we sit tight?

Got the emails saying that both campuses received my primary. This was not on my initial list of DO schools but I recently decided to apply.

Did you get an email saying your file was complete or anything? Or does your portal actually say "File Complete"?

It doesn't say file complete but once everything in the box on the portal has a "received date" next to it (LOR, MCAT, App, fee) then you are complete in their eyes.

Anyone know when they typically start sending IIs?

Hey everyone-

Just checked my portal and saw that I was complete. I was looking at the instructions and saw that “no more updates will be provided on this portal” and that they don’t accept calls or emails.

Does this just mean we sit tight?

Not sure what that means because admissions does take both calls and e-mail throughout the application process. I think it's just that no other updates about your app will appear on the portal. Yeah sitting tight is def a good idea. Interviews will prob start mid-September so there's a bit of a wait until then.

Last edited:
Anyone know when they typically start sending IIs?
You can email them, don't call as they get slammed with applications. Most questions are answered on the website or their emails. They are pretty thorough but if you can not find your answer then email them.

They sent me two emails from PCOM Phil and PCOM GEO with pin no. and username and asked me to pay $75...
I didn't receive my secondary yet. Does anyone know why??

They sent me two emails from PCOM Phil and PCOM GEO with pin no. and username and asked me to pay $75...
I didn't receive my secondary yet. Does anyone know why??
You got the secondary link in that email.

Anyone still waiting for their secondary? Should I contact them? :/

Anyone still waiting for their secondary? Should I contact them? :/
I was thinking the same thing but when I called they said they are sending those out by batch. So you should get one soon.

Secondary received 5 days ago; submitted that and the fee today.

All my stuff is recieved. Did you guys get an actual complete email?
No email here. Everything is marked received except the committee letter which I don’t have. But my supplemental app is marked as received as of yesterday.

No email here. Everything is marked received except the committee letter which I don’t have. But my supplemental app is marked as received as of yesterday.

Did you receive your secondary recently?

I have everything marked received as well, waiting for the complete/under review email.

Does PCOM (any campus) read all the LOR submitted? On my portal only 3 LOR were listed (I suppose to satisfy requirements), but I had sent them 6 letters through AACOMAS.

Does PCOM (any campus) read all the LOR submitted? On my portal only 3 LOR were listed (I suppose to satisfy requirements), but I had sent them 6 letters through AACOMAS.

From the website: "we will accept a limited number of additional letters from other individuals."

I think they will review the ones identified in addition to the others on file. I would call and ask if you want to make sure :)